Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Steve Moret speaks up on 2nd ToEE patch

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Huh/ I don't dislike TOEE because of its rule changes. If you think that's the case; you are wrong.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Its not a point of disliking it because of rule changes. You claim that D&D is all about Rule 0, and you state any good DM will change the module as they see fit. However, you commend other D&D based games for how the companies that handled them took certain freedoms with the game (which your Rule 0 supports), but don't do the same. In the end, its seem its okay for some companies to use Rule 0, and its not okay for others to use it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Huh? Once again, I don't dislike TOEE because of the rule changes. The reasons why i like games like NWN, BG, or PST more than TOEE has nothing to do with rules implementation and more to do with story, characters, and challenging combat (sans PST whose combat was very easy). So, your point is what again exactly? TOEE can use Rule all they want. That isn't the problem with TOEE, hwoever.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Woke up on the wrong side of understanding again, i see.

Ex was questioning the idea that some people have regarding rule 0. You said so yourself, you considered Bioware to be a 'good DM' as they did what they felt like with the license; yet you considered Troika a 'bad DM' for them not having done it some other way. If rule zero supports that the DM has the final word on what is liable to be changed in a game, then you can't claim Troika to be a bad DM, as they changed it from the original. Were the changes good, or for the better? That's highly debatable for some and quite simple to answer for others, but they took as much of a rule zero approach in the final product as other companies did, yet, they're considered bad DMs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
That's the point. In TOEE's case, Troika was a bad DM (imo, of course). Not ebcause they changed the rules; it's because the rule chanegs didn't make the game any more fun nor was the Dming skills in evidence in other aspects of the game.

Once again, I have no problem with the fact rules were changed in TOEE. In fact, rules have .1% of what i dislike about that partoicualr game. Silly goose. It's you who misunderstand stuff. Just look at my variety of complaints about the game - story, character, easy combat, too much focus on bugbears and othe rmelee oriented enemies, and bugs. Wher ein the bejeebers is the fact they used Rule 0 is in there?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLIPOP

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Why don't you see what you really mean:

Volourn is stupid. LOLOLOL He hates TOEE; but loikes NWN. LOLOL He is stupid head.

See, it wouldn't be that hard. :shock:

Voss

Erudite
a) Heresy. Except, technically speaking, its more blasphemy.
b) If they nail you to a bit of wood, you could be.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
a) Heh.

b) Don't tempt them as they would. Then again, I dares 'em.

taks

Liturgist
Sheriff05 said:
The person you accuse of "blowing smoke" is Mike Wolf who runs the Greyhawk and Trioka Chronicle web sites, He is an admitted *fan* of the game and in as much as I've seen has NEVER flamed anyone in defense of it. He is also comes off an all around nice guy who goes out of his way to help people who have questions or problems with the game.Your ingnorance of who he was, and your obnoxious poke at him generated my response. Be happy "prick" is kind for you.
i never flamed mike wolf. i flamed troika and toee. get your facts straight there bubba.

Valid point?, sorry your *opinion* is a valid point only to those who fucking agree with you.
so it's only my opinion that toee is extremely buggy? sorry, but that's a fact and i even backed it up with facts bubba.

Personally I've read alot of your *bullshit* about ToEE on the Atari board you make blanket statements about Troika incapability to translate the 3.5 rules properly and don't seem to except the fact that they DID , (as much as any one has) That is a fact, not a matter of debate. Your *choice* to view things that were done as play balancing issues (the DR, which was discussed in length by developers PRE FUCKING RELEASE) as *rules violations* and your *choice* to view bugs as inept rules implementation, is clearly your perogative. That certainly doesn't validate your claims and simply makes you another asshole with an opinion.
you're right, DR was play balancing and whether they mentioned it pre release or not is irrelevant. it was done due to the fact that they were unable (or incapable) to properly script the AI. duh. yeah they translated the 3.5 rules, and they did it so well they don't get to do a follow up. go figure. oh, and by the way, is only YOUR bullshit a valid opinion?

[Are you going to deny you not trying to provoke responses by posts similar to yours to Mike Wolf above?, You're obviously not brain dead so I know you are aware there a plenty of people that like ToEE and support Troika that hang out here. Like I said you before you came here looking for an argument and you got one, end of story.
again, only YOUR opinion counts? the game blew it and i'm going to make damn sure people here about it. if you don't like it, go somewhere else...

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension smart guy, as not only is it ironic that you misspelled *disingenuous* while using it in an effort to criticize my mental capacity. (Provoking the other responses you got).
You also confuse *hypocrisy* with your failure to realize that *I don't like you* and I will gladly crawl up your ass and die when you talk stupid shit I don't appreciate. Welcome to the real *virtual* world, you should have figured that out by now.
hypocrisy means hypocritical which means you mention civil debate yet EVERY debate you've ever been in involves criticism and insults by you AND, you managed to start your very point with just such a barb. furthermore, you're probably STILL not completely understanding disengenuous BECAUSE IT WASN'T AN INSULT. nope. it MEANS, saying something without complete frankness, actually. now that you've had the opportunity to look the word up, you still can't use it in context. the INSULT, btw, was the fact that you probably did not understand what i meant in the first place.

grow up, man. it's people like you that make the codex a laughing stock just about everywhere else. i can only hope that exitium was being a bit facetious when he defended you (improperly using the word, again). people like you are a blemish on society in general.

taks

taks

Liturgist
i don't defend the BGs or NWN with rule 0. i give SOME leeway because of the R/T thing but that's about it. i've seen all the discussions and i'm well aware of the problem with doing things that way. part of the issue is that rules violations are MUCH more obvious in T/B just because you have time to sit and review everything that happened AND all of the rolling that occured. i never played with autopause on any of the BG games (i did pause a bunch but not to verify rolls or actions, etc.) so most of what happened just flew by.

taks

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Ahh, the good times.

taks said:
never flamed mike wolf. i flamed troika and toee. get your facts straight there bubba.

never said you did, you later characterized him as "blowing smoke"
when you posted this:

taks said:
:
Michael_Wolf wrote:
But ToEE has the best implementation of D&D rules in any game ever and the turn-based combat is awesome.

well, if you discount the fact they nerfed nearly every rule in the game, yeah... best implementation....

oh wait, everybody meant best attempt at implementing D&D correctly, right? right? :roll:

Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me, from someone looking for an argument.
you'd just sounded like a prick , so I said so.

taks said:
so it's only my opinion that toee is extremely buggy? sorry, but that's a fact and i even backed it up with facts bubba.

please illustrate where myself or anyone else denys that there are a shitload of bugs in the game?

taks said:
you're right, DR was play balancing and whether they mentioned it pre release or not is irrelevant. it was done due to the fact that they were unable (or incapable) to properly script the AI. duh. yeah they translated the 3.5 rules, and they did it so well they don't get to do a follow up. go figure. oh, and by the way, is only YOUR bullshit a valid opinion?

So you agree your examples don't back up your posture?
I don't see your opinion as valid as it's completely skewed by your bizarre loathing for a fucking video game. Not to mention your arguments are not backed up by facts.

taks said:
again, only YOUR opinion counts? the game blew it and i'm going to make damn sure people here about it. if you don't like it, go somewhere else...

oh I see, it's a personal vendetta you've taken on? ,

I am really glad we have you here to tell us the "game blew it"!
is it because we can't form our own opinions?
or because your opinion is just better?

This is too funny considering your so eager to tell other people to get a life?
you're a grandstanding jackass, congratulations!

By the way it's my opinion only that you're a fucking asshole, this has nothing to do with ToEE, or my other opinions- at this point this only about me and you.

taks said:
hypocrisy means hypocritical which means you mention civil debate yet EVERY debate you've ever been in involves criticism and insults by you AND, you managed to start your very point with just such a barb. furthermore, you're probably STILL not completely understanding disengenuous BECAUSE IT WASN'T AN INSULT. nope. it MEANS, saying something without complete frankness, actually. now that you've had the opportunity to look the word up, you still can't use it in context. the INSULT, btw, was the fact that you probably did not understand what i meant in the first place.

This is just fucking rich, first of all I never claimed I thought you used it as an insult
you said to me:

go look that word up at dictionary.com if you're having problems with it.
others pointed out you spelled it wrong, it's only funny it the context of you acting like I'm too stupid to know what it means,
On another note I think you need to go look the word up yourself, before you dig the hole any deeper.

taks said:
Grow up, man. it's people like you that make the codex a laughing stock just about everywhere else.

Grow up? coming from a guy whose made it his personal vendetta to inform us all about his personal opinions of the inadequacies of a video game?
You sure it's people like *me* that make it the *laughing stock*?
I always viewed my rants as a kind of low brow entertainment for the thirty something PC gaming crowd?, maybe I'm wrong.

taks said:
people like you are a blemish on society in general.

What a coincidence, I say the same shit (only alot worse) about people like you.

Keep it up, next up I'll some pull some of your finer posts off the Atari board they make you look like a real genius.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Volourn said:
Just one question for Sherriff: Is NWN dead yet? :?

What's wrong you sound jealous that I haven't paid attention to you lately?

You should re-read the thread you're refering too.
As you can see I never predicted a time, only a curiousity to *when* it will die.
( I have said that it wouldn't live out it's predicted life span)

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3722&highlight=

Volourn

Pretty Princess
You said HOTU, in essence, would be the death of NWN. That wasat the end of last year yet the game seems the game's community is doing just fine. Espicially since one major community project has beenr eleased, and several more are on the way. Face it, the fact you won't set a date proves you are lost in this. That way no matter when NWN "dies" you can claim you were "right". LOL That's funny. It's like me saying NWN will last awhile; but that says nothing. The fact that it has lasted 2 years is more than I certainly thought it would.

And, oh, July is just a few months away. You think the 'brainwashed' are going to say goodbye to it by then? Hmm...

Still, flail all you want. You still are lost in Never Never Land. Highly amusing though. Even when I am personally through with NWN; I know I'll at least have you to entertain me. :P

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Volourn said:
You said HOTU, in essence, would be the death of NWN. That wasat the end of last year yet the game seems the game's community is doing just fine. Espicially since one major community project has beenr eleased, and several more are on the way. Face it, the fact you won't set a date proves you are lost in this. That way no matter when NWN "dies" you can claim you were "right". LOL That's funny. It's like me saying NWN will last awhile; but that says nothing. The fact that it has lasted 2 years is more than I certainly thought it would.

And, oh, July is just a few months away. You think the 'brainwashed' are going to say goodbye to it by then?

You didn't think it would last two years?, odd coming from you as I thought it would..and you know how I feel about it. anyway, let's pick this argument up in July..until then it's just shit talking.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Well.. considering the fact that before NWN; I never played any game as mucha s I do NWN (still almost every day unless RL gets in the way) for more than 6 months at all; yeah I had my doubts it would keep my interest. Not even my favorite games like the BGs, or FOs, or avrious sports games can keep my interest that long. But ahh well.

As for waiting to July; true we could. But talking shit as you put it as half the fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom