Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Steam Is Now A Shitty F2P MMO, Not a Game Client

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
In fact -- you, buzz, means nothing. Your contribution or lack thereof will not make anyone on the codex give a shit about you. You can stop trying to be a 1337 p1®473 d00d now.

You're the reason eastern europeans are universally regarded as thieves and conmen.

Cassidy

Arcane
If you buy popamole, you're stealing good games.*

If you D1P popamole, you're mass murdering good games.

If you buy popamole, microtransactions but pirate good games, you're a triple race traitor.

And finally, if you put a massive effort to bootlick and defend Steam, then you're just pathetic.

*By generating demand for shit games instead.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Regarding piracy, I rarely pirate stuff personally, but I'm a big defender of sites like piratebay just because I think they perform a valuable historical and cultural service. They are more or less just digital archives. You can get essentially any book, game, movie, or album ever created in just a couple minutes. Which is just mindblowing. Intellectuals from 100 years ago would have never dreamed of such a thing. It's basically the original Utopian vision of libraries fulfilled way better than any actual physical library has ever been able to fulfill it.

Of course, probably like 90% of all internet pirate sites are dedicated to meticulously documenting video of the human sex act.....but that just kind of comes with the territory of new technology. Even cave drawings were like 90% pictures of people fucking.

wergle

Educated
I like people who say yeah I buy good games to support the devs but then only buy games when they're 85% off on steam

buzz

Arcane
In fact -- you, buzz, means nothing. Your contribution or lack thereof will not make anyone on the codex give a shit about you. You can stop trying to be a 1337 p1®473 d00d now.

You're the reason eastern europeans are universally regarded as thieves and conmen.

Yeah, thank god you're there to clear our name paying 5 dollars to get 20 games or buying games made 30 years ago with all the involving parties to its development long dead and gone :lol: . You're worse than conmen, you actually get tricked by them.

buzz

Arcane
historial and cultural service

:lol:

Well, I don't know about TPB, but abandonia and hotu certainly were doing that part correctly. Well, until GOG fucked them over and told them to remove some of the games just so that they can sell them with a fancy setup wizard and a dosbox wrapper.

wergle

Educated
Shameless promotion for Rise of the Triad which is coming out on July 31st for only 15 bucks

get it on steam or gog or whatever

The trailer(s) kind of suck, so I recommend reading their dev blogs/listening to their podcasts for more info on the game. Their focus on quick, efficient, modular level design reminds me of 90s game development, back when games were made by a handful of programmers working in john carmack's basement

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Who gives a fuck if the money goes to the devs? I'm not buying the game for their sake, I'm buying it because it's convenient for me.
Well again, if we go with the premise that you enjoy wiping your ass with money, then sure.

Maybe this is just a 1st world thing where "commodity" and "convenience" are more popular things and people actually buy stuff from infomercials. My salary is much bigger than the average Romanian income (which is not much in the first place by anyway) but I still don't feel like spending a couple of bucks just because I want to play a game 10 minutes earlier than expected. Probably a cultural thing.
It's not wiping your ass with money if you're getting something out of it. No need for the sarcasm-quotes around commodity and convenience. You didn't quote this section, but as I said:
I travel a ton for work, and physical media is just another thing to cart around and/or lose. The convenience of having a ton of games in one library, autopatched and ready to download to any computer at any time I want, with friendlist and chat to coordinate multiplayer games, far outweighs that of saving a few potatoes.
Pretty straightforward and real added convenience. I can't be fucked to spend the time finding a good torrent, applying cracks, then hunting for patches (hopefully they actually have the latest one cracked), whenever I want to play a game on a different computer, or one I've uninstalled it from. Sure it might only take 10 minutes more work, but a bunch of 10 minute chunks eventually add up, and 10 minutes of my time is objectively worth more than the average price I've paid for my games on Steam.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
2013-03-21%2019.53.45.jpg

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I try not to get annoyed by things I can completely ignore. I run Steam in offline mode with all in-game features turned off and it works fine. When they stop letting me do that THEN I will be pissed off.

Karmapowered

Augur
Does Steam still auto-update/patch games, even if the feature was disabled by the user ?

I haven't launched Steam in online mode for ages, because there are games I DON'T want patched.

No amount of frantical clicking in the user preferences/options would change that for me in the past.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Does Steam still auto-update/patch games, even if the feature was disabled by the user ?

I haven't launched Steam in online mode for ages, because there are games I DON'T want patched.

No amount of frantical clicking in the user preferences/options would change that for me in the past.
Right click a game in your library, click properties. Go to updates tab. Disable autoupdate. You can only change the setting on games you have installed.

J1M

Arcane
I think it is pretty cool that I can buy a game for $5 and sell the cards that it comes with back to retards for $2.50.

Wish I had got in on this scam earlier, but like most things Valve does (hats) I initially ignored them.

NotTale

Learned
I hope they don't go too far with this. I never thought Valve would do the crate/key system. I never thought they'd do the Mann vs. Machine update. So I don't know what they'll do next and hide behind a recurring paywall.

I don't mind the trading cards/badges/level system as it is now. It's a neat system, I'd say I even like it. But I know they're tempted to start adding something to it that I'll have to shovel out $2 each time I want to use.

Bruticis

I hope they don't go too far with this. I never thought Valve would do the crate/key system. I never thought they'd do the Mann vs. Machine update. So I don't know what they'll do next and hide behind a recurring paywall.

I don't mind the trading cards/badges/level system as it is now. It's a neat system, I'd say I even like it. But I know they're tempted to start adding something to it that I'll have to shovel out $2 each time I want to use.
Don't worry, Valves a non profit organization and has your best interest at heart.

Karmapowered

Augur
Right click a game in your library, click properties. Go to updates tab. Disable autoupdate. You can only change the setting on games you have installed.

I did that, believe me (that's what I actually meant with my frantical clicking).

I am absolutely 100% certain (for having done it several times, assuming at first it was a mistake on my side) that I disabled the auto-update of my games in the way that you've just described, closed Steam, re-opened it another day, to see it automatically start patching the disabled games.

Once a game starts patching, it needs to be done to the end.
Once a Steam game is patched, there is no way that I know of to get back to the unpatched game.
The only workaround is to store/copy the game somewhere safe outside the Steam folder (and restore it when playing), or use the offline mode.

This is mildly infuriating, since I use mods which are no longer updated and only work for older versions of some games.

Thanks still for your reply.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Yeah, don't worry. These shitty epeen systems always start and then don't expand beyond the point where they're good, fun or even welcome. The decline always stops progressing at a certain point, just like tooth decay. :lol:

pocahaunted

Arcane
It's shit like this that proves that a monopoly on digital distribution, even if endorsed by rabid fanboys, is retarded as fuck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom