Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Steam is (NO LONGER) charging for mods now lmao

Dexter

Arcane
Rejecting his justification for selling paints were they to make money is a clear refusal to respect an objective truth.
If depended on me, I would get the IP laws and throw them on the garbage where they belong to but as there is no way in hell of that happening, this is chance of modding become something more widespread but companies should not wanting to exploit so much something they didn't lift a finger to help. If some crazy fuckers made a not shit version of Skyrim, I would happy to pay them.
You are defending the practice of a corporation with an almost monopolistic stranglehold on the Digital PC games market to take an unilateral stand and take what was free and rip you off. You are arguing against your own interests. If you aren't Modders that think they will become millionaires by selling Horsecocks for Skyrim (which won't happen, the majority of Modders will likely not even break the $400 Payout limit once the Market is flooded, no doubt maybe one or two will hit the jackpot and will be paraded around for gullible morons to follow suit and make Valve more money) you should be declared clinically braindead. You are asking to be able to pay more money for the same product and for the Publisher and Valve to get a cut for no work. Valve is using their market position to push this through, if this was an unknown small site or "Mom & Pop" paint store nobody would give a shit and they would laugh a bit, ignore it and then move on, upon which it would fail.

In any case, if someone is willing to put years of work and effort into something and build up a team, they might as well take Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4, which are free now and start building their own game, where they get 75%+ of their revenue and not as subcontractors for Valve and Bethesda/Paradox etc. which also require to give up all the rights to said content to the platform maker.

Telengard

Arcane
Those whining bitches on Steam are ridiculous. So much bullshit... "Modding is a sacred hobby, only the order of the people with shiny souls should make it for the goodness of all.", fuck this bullshit. Modding is alot of work, if you want mods for free make your own. Many modders only worked for free because they were forced by the IP laws not because the goodness of their hearts. Even the Killer floor dudes... is killing floor 2 free? Nope. Why they don't continue making stuff for free then if its so wonderful? Because they need money.

Gaben and Bethesda are fucking cheap money grubbers for grabbing 75% and I hate the monopolistic aspects of this but I disagree with the amount and method not with the principle of paid modding. I watched so many excellent good ideas for modding becomming smoke over the years because "You must be a good potato communist and make stuff for free to me while I don't give a fuck to you."

If depended on me, I would get the IP laws and throw them on the garbage where they belong to but as there is no way in hell of that happening, this is chance of modding become something more widespread but companies should not wanting to exploit so much something they didn't lift a finger to help. If some crazy fuckers made a not shit version of Skyrim, I would happy to pay them.
It's not the lack of money that kills many a mod, it's the lack of time. There's only so many hours in a day, and you could so much better utilize that time drinking, playing games, or posting on the Codex. Which is why the plethora of game mods are Sims dress recolors. The easy, peasy shit. And getting a tip if you meet your sales quotas isn't going to change that fact.

And if your mod is big and the type of mod that is unpopular, it really isn't going to change your mind, cause you're not going to get paid anyways. But if you like making penis mods, different story. Stiff competition (pun intentional), though, since everyone's probably going to gravitate to making popular types of mods in order to cash in.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know if paid mods are ever going to go away, but I suspect Valve may decide at some point to "recommend" that most modders start out free and only make the switch to paid if their mod hits a certain level of popularity.

IMO, for this to work, they desperately need to achieve some kind of "brand differentiation", ie, paid mods = guaranteed quality.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
You are defending the practice of a corporation with an almost monopolistic stranglehold on the Digital PC games market to take an unilateral stand and take what was free and rip you off. You are arguing against your own interests. If you aren't Modders that think they will become millionaires by selling Horsecocks for Skyrim (which won't happen, the majority of Modders will likely not even break the $400 Payout limit once the Market is flooded, no doubt maybe one or two will hit the jackpot and will be paraded around for gullible morons to follow suit and make Valve more money) you should be declared clinically braindead. You are asking to be able to pay more money for the same product and for the Publisher and Valve to get a cut for no work. Valve is using their market position to push this through, if this was an unknown small site or "Mom & Pop" paint store nobody would give a shit and they would laugh a bit, ignore it and then move on, upon which it would fail.

In any case, if someone is willing to put years of work and effort into something and build up a team, they might as well take Unity 5 and Unreal Engine 4, which are free now and start building their own game, where they get 75%+ of their revenue and not as subcontractors for Valve and Bethesda/Paradox etc. which also require to give up all the rights to said content to the platform maker.
Steam and its 75% is ridiculous and trying to be monopolistic about it is they being a dick, I'm not defending them but I support the principle and sure, Unity 5 is nice and all but doing good mods for well known games like Skyrim has its advantages than trying to compete with the avalanche of games on steam. Anyway, I'm messing with somethings and will release them for free anyway because I have fun messing with this stuff but boy... even if I'm only a newbie, I have fun but its huge work this thing require and I respect the modders that really manage to finish their mods. When you have family and bills to pay, diverting free hours to this stuff doing repetitive scripting and map editing even if overall seeing the result is fun, its still complicated.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't know if paid mods are ever going to go away, but I suspect Valve may decide at some point to "recommend" that most modders start out free and only make the switch to paid if their mod hits a certain level of popularity.

IMO, for this to work, they desperately need to achieve some kind of "brand differentation", ie, paid mods = guaranteed quality.

Not so much guarantee quality as guarantee it's working.They need to put themselves and the developer behind and provide curation if they want this thing to lift off.That is why I think it's going to fail ,too much extra work for too little profit(if at all). And shitty companies as Bethesda will not put the work.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
It's not the lack of money that kills many a mod, it's the lack of time.
Man, its the lack of money that generate the lack of time. Money its just time on another shape, if you get money you can make the time for it but anyways... I don't see this getting anywhere, the big publishers that are very happy into sitting on not used Ips are not going to really care making the life of modders easier.

Drowed

Arcane

IMO, for this to work, they desperately need to achieve some kind of "brand differentation", ie, paid mods = guaranteed quality.

Given the way that the STEAM has taken after Greenlight, I would say that Valve is going the opposite way to that right now. I don't think it's likely.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Given the way that the STEAM has taken after Greenlight, I would say that Valve is going the opposite way to that right now. I don't think it's likely.

But see, Greenlight is precisely that. Even Greenlight is better than what they're doing with mods right now!

It's a double standard - games are being more heavily curated than mods, despite the fact that the modding scene needs much more curation than games do, since mods are developed by amateurs, can be churned out very quickly, are not covered by professional reviewers, etc.

Cadmus

Arcane
Man, its the lack of money that generate the lack of time. Money its just time on another shape, if you get money you can make the time for it but anyways... I don't see this getting anywhere, the big publishers that are very happy into sitting on not used Ips are not going to really care making the life of modders easier.
what the fuck do money have to do with time? If you got a 9-5 job, no amount of shit tip jar money from mods will help you produce more content. This bullshit argument only works if you're already a jobless SJW patreon beggar and your work is some shit like picking up garbage and selling it as scrap metal where it's literally time spent picking shit on the street=money earned. Otherwise, this logic is shit and it's just an excuse to beg for more money.

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about kickstarter mods? Pre-order this kickstarter!

If the pre-order numbers are high enough we might make a kickstarter!

pippin

How about kickstarter mods? Pre-order this kickstarter!

If the pre-order numbers are high enough we might make a kickstarter!

A kickstarter for the preorder of the kickstarter of the early access, goddamn it

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane

The problem is that big mods such as tend to come in two varieties.

Mass community efforts with tons of people contributing their small bits.
Basically "Fan Crowdsourced Development" of unofficial expansions/level packs...

2. Solo or small team efforts of love working for years on their project.
Those may also temporary utilize the larger community for additional resources.

The first is very difficult/impossible with a "paid model"...

Ahem...
Do all you guys mind working for free so I can then profit off it?
Pretty :DPlease!

:notsureifserious:

People will start demanding "Cash or Contract" like any other commercial development project...

As for the second.
They will be less affected although they will also have to buy assets rather then taking from the community.
It will be yet another 1-2 man indie Dev team, only working an expansion pack...

Oh yeah...
No more "borrowing" assets, art, music, characters, or settings.
That stuff is under Copyright or Trademarked...
Do Everything Yourself.
Pay the Artist/Coder.
Get a "Licence to Use" from Mega-Corp "X"
(good :lol: luck).

"But, but, I was only paying tribute to Gandalf/Cloud Strife/Batman/Jon Snow!"
does not fly when your selling it.

That's what you get when you go commercial.
Its a Capitalist System.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This is one thing I'm talking about when I say the community is fractured, yes. Maybe the guys who sell skins for TF2/Dota/CS for a living know a thing or two about this. But yes, modders don't have the proper resources to always make their own shit - so they borrow it from others. That's kinda my point, no? That if you give modders lots'o'dosh maybe we'll see stuff like Long War forming foundations of its own, with teeth to hold onto the game instead of inevitably disappearing, or having its primary talents get sucked away into the industry (even though this "wasn't for profit").

So you think it would be better for everyone to independently create their own tools and assets, wasting massive amounts of time and resources making overlapping things rather than sharing them freely, because...?

Oh right because you're a dick.

Seerix

Arbiter
Contrary to what most retards are saying, this goddamn shit will kill modding exactly because of giving people ability to get paid. A lot of modders do it for fun, ffs, if you disagree with that you obviously never did anything creative in your life. Nobody will want to risk losing all their work to some scammers or find out that project lead decided to cash in on that big X mod and share profits only with people who could affect him legally in his country. This kills enthusiasm better than any DMCA crap, some people on Nexus already freaked out and blocked access to their mods.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Rejecting his justification for selling paints were they to make money is a clear refusal to respect an objective truth.

Modders have become quite wealthy, actually. They just ended up selling their games instead continuously releasing it for free. Or they abandon it to jump ship to an actual developer. I see no difference in sustaining a mod through Steam, and just turning it into a full-time game. Either way money is exchanged. Giving content creators a revenue stream has provided Dota/CS/TF2 with shitloads of pretty solid content. I see no reason why this could not happen for mods.

And overall, no. If it were up to me this system wouldn't be in place. That doesn't mean I consider it 100% negative. There are positives here to be found through the hysteria and mania.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
They should've made a donate button instead.

Plus, 75% for Gabe / 25% for the modder..? Are you crazy? This is too steep for people from ANY country to enter the modding scene professionally. It nips the whole idea (a bad one, but ok) in the bud.

cf0781d28d5f04b12d7f3634293c49b5.png

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Modders have become quite wealthy, actually. They just ended up selling their games instead continuously releasing it for free. Or they abandon it to jump ship to an actual developer. I see no difference in sustaining a mod through Steam, and just turning it into a full-time game. Either way money is exchanged. Giving content creators a revenue stream has provided Dota/CS/TF2 with shitloads of pretty solid content. I see no reason why this could not happen for mods.

And overall, no. If it were up to me this system wouldn't be in place. That doesn't mean I consider it 100% negative. There are positives here to be found through the hysteria and mania.

Skyrim is not worth its price tag since its just not a really good game, but mods have managed to make it actually fun. But those who dont mod Skyrim also dont know how much of a hassle it is to mod it. Its not just one or two mods, its dozens even more then a hundred different mods. Imagine being forced to buy every single one, well say goodbye to your monthly paycheck.

But that is not the only problem. Many mods have compatibility issues, meaning if you just put one mod on another it might fuck up your game. This is fixed in two ways, by making very detailed installation instruction in order to user deletes files that are conflicting or making a compatibility patch to make them work without a hitch. Without this players would have to choose one of the mods.

Yesterday you had two modders who made a, lets say for an example, two weapon mods. Mods are conflicted and one of them or both of them work together to find a solution.

Tomorrow modders will be fighting to have larger market share then anyone in else in really big competition. Helping other modders would be counterproductive because everyone will hope that only their mod will be bought.

If Bethesda wants to earn money from mods they should have put some effort in it themselves. Maybe if they made a system where their employees had to check every mod before its submitted to the Steam Workshop, how buggy or compatible it is, does it use stolen assets or is it really uploaders mod. They could have done lots of things really but instead they choose to just to collect money.

Personally I would let all mods stay free but put a donation button on the mod page so people could give some money to author if they wanted.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Personally I would let all mods stay free but put a donation button on the mod page so people could give some money to author if they wanted.

The issue I have with this is that this is the system that HAVE already been in place for several years before this bullshit started.
Even before the Steam workshop and it started at nexus, IIRC.

Gozma

Arcane
I think they could have done this the right way by creating some kind of mod-for-royalties thing geared to create stuff that rarely happens in the organic scenes, like full blown de facto expansions/quasi-TC a la Long War that obviously take huge resources and huge personal sacrifices otherwise. Instead they just tried to plow over a scene to turn hobbyists into cheap laborers in the DOTA hat mines.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Giving content creators a revenue stream has provided Dota/CS/TF2 with shitloads of pretty solid content.
DotA2 would never have existed if people had to pay for it's predecessors. If Blizzard had pulled this shit 20 years ago that entire genre wouldn't exist today.

comment said:
Things people will pay for:
[ X ] unfinished 'early access'
[ X ] shitty mario figurines
[ X ] random digital hats
[ ] lovingly crafted mods

A pirate defending paid mods on a torrent site...
Care to explain how is he wrong though?

Oh wait, he's not.

Care to explain how much you're getting paid get to defend this?

Oh wait, you do it for free.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom