Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter STASIS - An Indie Space Adventure Game - now with CAYNE DLC

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Unkillable Cat
I am pretty sure John says something like "I am not getting in without keys" when you try using the crowbar on the toolbox.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Pyke - thank you for your response. Don't ever forget that I'm just one guy, one voice, one opinion...and despite everything I value your effort in creating and "unleashing" this game. :)

Im trained as a commercial artist - taking crit is what I do for a living! I can also promise you that no matter how critical anyone is of Stasis - I am worse!

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Imagine, Pyke and Styg teaming up....

fight_club_plane208xbw.gif

I can't see the image you posted but I imagine it was of BUCKETS OF CUM!!!

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
:5/5:

Best graphic design I've ever experienced in a game.
Really good story, it doesn't matter if it's largely derivative. The presentation was unique and masterful.
I only have minor little nitpicks.

I wish the kickstarter RPGs could be this good, they're all on rails anyway so why not.

Also
I figured that Teah was up to no good.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Also
I figured that Teah was up to no good.
In what game set in similar circumstances (alone in hostile territory being hunted by an unknown threat that previously slaughtered the other occupants) has the mission control / altruistic voice on the radio not turned out to be the main antagonist?

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
In what game set in similar circumstances (alone in hostile territory being hunted by an unknown threat that previously slaughtered the other occupants) has the mission control / altruistic voice on the radio not turned out to be the main antagonist?
Good point I guess, but I don't play a lot of games because most games don't interest me. So for me that's a limited sample.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I had seen some videos of this game in Avalanche's channel so I bought this as soon as I saw it. Feels good to help a giod indie developer as well as a kickass game, wont get to play for a couple of weeks so hopefully the resolution issue will be fixed by then

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Only played for a few minutes but it looks and feels absolutely fantastic. All the makings of an instant classic. Can't wait to sink my teeth in further!

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
And finished. It has some flaws and a few puzzles didn't seem too clear to me, but maybe I just missed some info in a pda. Overall it was a great and grim experience, some scenes made me question your sanity Pyke :D

I cannot wait for your next game!

polo

Magister
Well, I finished it and my opinion is not on par with the Kodex Konsensus.

The tl;dr non-spoiler version: A combination of me seemingly having become too jaded to enjoy adventure games and Stasis's absolute lack of originality in every regard make the game truly worthy of being called the "Event Horizon of video games".

For the past couple of years Stasis has been the brightest star in the Adventure Game genre, offering gorgeous graphics, a gritty setting, unbelievable atmosphere and the hope for a more mature take on the genre as a whole. Sadly Stasis didn't deliver on that last part. It delivers in spades on the first three points and you can throw in suspenseful music and sound effects to that mix, though I was not a fan of the animation in the game. Unfortunately the aptly-named backbone of the game, the writing, falls flat on its face. I'm not that much of a sci-fi nerd but I could spot small references to "classic" sci-fi material at almost every corner. I'm not talking themes and settings like an abandoned top secret spaceship in orbit around Jupiter (Event Horizon) or the protagonist waking up from hypersleep onboard a spaceship where the crew seemingly butchered each other (Pandorum). No, I'm talking about the small things like the protagonist's name (Aliens), the presence of a cat onboard the ship and how it produces a jumpscare (Alien) and that the elevator [of Plot Progression] is halted by weeds growing in the elevator shaft out of Hydroponics (System Shock 2). I didn't smile at seeing these pop culture references popping up again and again, I just sighed. I got the old "I've seen all of this before" feeling, but it was quickly joined by "I've done all of this before" feeling that comes from playing too many video games - but then again I've been playing video games for 30 years now, so that's kinda expected. It's all sighs and disappointments, though - the surgery scene, although ripped right out of Prometheus, is probably the highpoint of the game because it makes the player part of the procedure. That bit is gonna stay with me for years to come.

Those of you that keep track of the Thief 2 Fan Mission thread know that I tear into the horribad writing that can be found in many of the user-created mods in that community, especially the "audiolog syndrome" cringefests that plague so many of them...so imagine my disappointment to find equally bad levels of writing in Stasis. Character conversations are alright (except for anything related to Dr. Malan) but virtually anything found in a PDA made me want to claw my eyes out, and it gets worse as the game progresses. By the time I found the PDAs of the top scientists (Bachman, Charlotte and Malan) I was *this* close to uninstalling the game. That said, there are two bits of audiologs there that I really liked - the former was the PDA of the teenager in the club, the latter was the one remark by someone in Medical about "everyone's about to die and they spend their last moments tapping away at their PDAs, what's wrong with people?"

["Audiolog syndrome" is the term I use for exposition that is needed to get across to the player, but is done so in a hamfisted manner by trying to replicate the audiologs of System Shock 1. Basically the problem is how humans use dictaphones and journals - we only do so in a set and specific manner, yet many (lazy) authors choose to turn these into all-encompassing life stories with pointless information mixed together with plot-vital information that NO ONE in their right mind would put down to tape or paper to begin with. Doing this kind of writing properly requires that people sit down and think to get it right - yet far too many can't be arsed to do so. And no, System Shock 1 didn't do it right either, but it did it first and somewhat sensibly.]

Another noteworthy element are the characters - none of them are worth a damn. John the protagonist is stereotypical - he wakes up from stasis and tries to find his family...and that's pretty much all there is to him. His background as a school teacher doesn't enter the picture, Dr. Malan's hint of something in John's past amounts to nothing, he's barely a character in his own life - but at least he feels remorse and sympathy towards others. Dr. Malan is an even bigger stereotype, the mad scientist who believes himself to be above everyone else, to the point that he becomes one-dimensional and clichéd. Everyone else isn't even worth talking about - there's not one character in this game worth talking about.

But ultimately the biggest fault with Stasis is also its second-biggest selling point - it's an old-school adventure game. Adventure games died in the late 90s because they were not only formulaic, but because the formula was getting stale, to the point that it stank. Stasis is no exception. It does skip the "random deaths of backtracking" trope, but it is mildly afflicted by Adventure Game Logic - the only solution to a puzzle is the one that the author(s) came up with, even when multiple options are readily available. A strongbox that needs opening early on in the game is a good example. John is carrying both a drill and a crowbar at that point, a combination good enough to get through most locked things. But no, neither item works, the player MUST get the keys. Since I'm on that particular puzzle, another downpoint of Stasis's gameplay emerges - the lack of a clear path of action. Despite the puzzles being logical and that I always had at least a rough idea of what I should be doing, it was far too often where the only sensible course of action was to try using all the inventory items on each other and see if anything clicked, followed by using all the items on areas of note. That's what gave me the clue as to how to open the aforementioned strongbox. John could have easily mentioned something like "guess I need to find the keys" or "I need to find the box's owner first," but instead the player is just left there to guess what should be done. I managed to bounce around the game for a good bit by doing this, but what ultimately killed the experience for me was the stasis pod puzzle.

Like I mentioned I've played a lot of video games, and I've solved a lot of logic puzzles over the years. But the key to making a good puzzle is to ensure that the player gets all the variables. From what I could tell, the stasis pod puzzle does not. The puzzle involves correctly prescribing certain chemicals (in certain dosage amounts) to 6 parts of the human body in order for a proper stasis revival to take place. While I did find all 6 chemicals and their dosage amounts, I could only find references to 2 body parts, plus one that was uselessly vague. That leaves 3 puzzle pieces that would have to be assembled via trial and error. I'm sorry, but fuck that shit. I'm too old for this. That was the point when I gave up and consulted a walkthrough - and frankly I saw no reason to put the walkthrough away after that, the damage was done.

One final note on the ending...

7 years ago there was a small indie game released called "TECNO: The Base". It's a game that shares some similarities with Stasis; a research outpost on an alien planet that's been overrun, all the humans except the protagonists are dead and the game revolves around them trying to escape alive by solving puzzles, finding keys/codes, exploring the base, etc. It's a game that has more in common with the System Shock games than Stasis ever will, but what it ultimately failed at was the ending - in the end neither protagonist escaped, everyone dies and the bad guys win. The End. TECNO can be a tough bastard of a game and I still have the e-mail from the author where he states that I'm "one of a handful of people that actually reached the end of the game" - and I felt like kicking a litter of puppies after beating that game. Stasis is fortunately short enough that I don't feel like kicking anything after completing it, but the anti-climatic "everyone dies" ending is NOT something you put in a game - except maybe as one of several possible endings, not as THE end.

I must say i agree in some of the things you've written. Specially in regard of the writing. PDAs sometimes felt like chunks of plain text, boring. Still, some of those helped me to immerse more into the game, and the idea of beign in a ship in the middle of nowhere and everyone going crazy.
Also, i thought exactly the same about the toolbox 'puzzle', but it was early on the game so i didn't care much at that time. Don't agree in the stasis pod puzzle, it was pretty good, made me make annotations and check many things, like pda's annotations and the pods. I enjoyed it pretty much.
Still, overall for me Stasis was a very enjoyable ride, maybe you're too tired for Adventure Games, i mean... THere is a reason why they are almost 'exinct'.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
And finished. It has some flaws and a few puzzles didn't seem too clear to me, but maybe I just missed some info in a pda. Overall it was a great and grim experience, some scenes made me question your sanity Pyke :D

I cannot wait for your next game!

The two most difficult scenes for me to do was the killing of the pregnant women, and the death of Rebecca. I worked for a few days on the pregnant women scene and had some really messed up dreams during that.
Rebeccas death was a little 'easier' because it was mostly a technical problem solving thing...but in the first drafts it was a lot more graphic - and just didnt 'work'. It felt so 'THIS IS SHOCK VALUE!!!!'. Her body actually stayed on the bed after John broke the glass and he has a conversation with Te'ah about how he needs to take her with him. Even I was a little 'hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm'....
Nic helped me edit it down to its current form, which works much better. But still...those original images...yeah....

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished the game :)

"Her body actually stayed on the bed after John broke the glass and he has a conversation with Te'ah about how he needs to take her with him"
That would have made the game more awesome! Pyke

Are there screenshots with the Groomlake?
I want to see in it's entirety.
It would be interesting is someone would be 3D printing the ship.

The only critique I have is that the screen shaking is too much and overused.

The artistic direction is the reason I was interested in this game and I was not disappointed while playing it.

:love:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Picked this up a few minutes ago! Plan on playing this weekend a bit when I get some free time! Congrats on your release, Pyke!

Bt

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Subject is Alive, Deceased, Alive.

WTF man, I shouldn't have played this after dinner...

Edit: About the guy in stasis pod,

Are we able to save him in any way?

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Kinda ran into a game breaking bug.. Repeatable.

After I blew the mathene canister near the elevator door, I made it back up. Tried to go to the room with the security guards, and it just freezes whenever I enter this room. Mouse won't come back up so I can't do anything.
zrt3WmO.jpg

Is my game permafucked? :(

Last edited:

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Ok, I finished the game and here are my thoughts.

The Good:
The game looks very pretty. You definitly know how to create interesting scenes, interiors and make a coherent environment. Some of the animations and death sequences were pretty elaborate too, I was impressed with them.
I had nearly no technical issues with the game, except one time when the game decided to load a save a few rooms back after my death. And two or three times the animations John does when he was supposed to stumble or something, it played in a weird way, as if John was flying in the air and having epileptic attack. But thats a minor glitch.
The music and sound effects very atmospheric and I enjoyed them, good job on them.

The bad:
The voice acting was uneven. The voice of John was good, and the acting fit his character and scenes. But Te'ah had some sentences that were completly over/under acted. There were moments when she sounded like a robot when you expected her to show some emotions, and the other way around. One sentence I remember, the "I'm a vegetarian" as a response to John talking about skining an animal in the past. The voice for Dr Malan was a generic Evil scientist and at times I felt like he is some crazy Russian doctor from Chukotka. Thankfully he did not have that many lines so it was bearable.
Some of the puzzles very annoying in that they either required finding a specific object (The bone glue in medical, it had no shining indicator and I missed it completly and was running around the rooms trying to do something to those power cells). I hate the moments in adventure games when I know what I have to do, but I just managed to miss an item somewhere and I cant do shit without it. I even managed to develop a certain paranoia about it, and in any adventure game when I cant progress I worry that I again managed to miss a vital item and need to look for it. This particular bone glue was a problem because it was no as easily noticable as other vital items in the game.
The other instance of a problem with progression I had at the Insect Queen. And I was not the only one from what you are saying. The problem here is that when a player try to interact with the Queen and gets eaten, he wont try to interact with her again as he knows the outcome already. And the happy face over her was not enough to convince me, because the face was red, and red is the color of danger so I assumed its something dangerous about her. Even the logs that were speaking about the Queen being calm at times were not enough to give me a clear indication that I should interact with her when she has the happy face over her. Better solution here would be to make it so that the milking process is very tiring for her and she falls into a deep sleep from exhaustion or something. That would give the player a clear signal that she is not as dangerous in this state.
The last example of annoying puzzle bullshit was in the room towards the end, when you have the room where they used gas to kill subjects and the other one, and the barrier that prevents you from going further. I entered the room with the cages, looked around with my mouse cursor and saw no "hand" so no interactive objects, I left the room. And I got stuck for good 15 minutes running around other rooms and trying to maybe break the doors to the gas room or something. And the solution? You had to move close to one of the cages so a script could start that would shake the screen and when you got back to the previous room, the plot would move forward with Dr Mengele capturing you. That goddamn cage should have been an interactive object, then I would walk to it and started the script.
I also did not like the fact that you could not skip conversations and was forced to sit through them again and again if you got killed and had to reload.
The ugly:
The writing was anywhere from sort of ok to terrible. I will be honest, I skip most of the pda's in the second half of the game because they were just such huge "My personal diary of meaningless crap", and the writing in them was not interesting. They sounded like mediocre blog posts at time. It would be far better if instead of so many pds we would get 1/3 of them but more interesting, meaningfull and not written as a literary fodder. Good example here are the pdas of the security guys in the security station. There was like 3 of them, and they tried to present the events from 3 different perspectives, but they were boring, and after reading on of them, the others very just the same shit, in the same order, with slightly different words. Another example was from the crew quarters were there were the 2 girls and 2 guys having some personal drama crap going on. Completly inconsequencial, and the shit about "What she had to do for the alcohol" was cringeworthy, and she repeated it twice at least. Subtlety and some maturity and non of this "Lololol I had to suck dick for this, so awful!"
I dont know about the later pdas but most of the one I've read followed the same order. The guy/girl gets to the ship/no department and is excited at the beginning, then he/she realizes whats going on and that their collegues are shit and starts to complain or run away/get transfered to other place, bla bla bla.
But the ultimate price for the most cringeworthy line of the whole game goes to "The morals of man do not apply to Gods" I was laughing hard after hearing this crap. It sounds like something a rebelious teen could have uttered. And I was subjected to this monstrosity repeatedly as the game killed me a couple of times after hearing it.
Unkillable Cat mentioned it already and I agree with him, none of the characters was in any way memorable. John came the closest to being at least human but he could be summarized as "a desperate father looking for his family" and his constant whining how bad it is on the ship, and all the experiments and corpses and hybrids, it became unbrearable at one point and when I entered a room with some gruesome scene in it, I thought "God Damn, he will cry and whine and be emotional again!" There was to much focus on telling me how awful it is, how terrible and terrifying instead of just showing me and allowing me to process it in my own way. It was as if you went to an exhibition and there was a guy following you commenting on every painting with "Oh look how horrible it is! The dead people, the horror! Let us cry in despair!"
And now for the story. The game was kinda short so not a lot of story could be presented but what was presented did not impress me. It was full of sc-fi cliches that there was nothing surprising about it. If you tried to make an amalgamation of scenes from sc-fi movies and books, then you managed to do it. But its not interesting. The whole story is basicaly "Evil corporation has a ship that they do illegal research on. They also capture innocent people and experiment on them. Someone sabotages the ship and shit hits the fan. The experiments run amok and kill nearly everybody. you wake up from stasis and try to find your family in the mess. Some misterous voice help you. You learn of the Big Bad Evil, mad Doctor Mengele. You defeat Big Bad Evil after a trip through the ship and surprise, surprise! You are betrayed by the misterious voice. And oh God, the reasoning for that betrayal was so so boring. Money and revenge. The revenge being explained in one sentence at the end. There was nothing interesting in the story. Evil corporation did evil things, mad Doctor was mad, and a betrayal at the end. One could say it was a classic sc-fi story but it was like Sc-fi plot for beginners with no will to take it in any interesting direction. Maybe because it was to short to really expand upon the story and give it some unique character. I don't know but what I know is that this story was done to death already and it was a waste of great setting, awesome visuals and good sound and atmosphere.

I know it all may sound like I did not like the game but its not true. I liked it, thats why I finished it despite being completly predictable and uninteresting. If I were to present any closing remarks, I would suggest that you Pyke restrict yourself to graphical/art direction/technical side of game creation because thats what you do great, with a constant supply of screenshots of your amazing visions for different games. Just leave the story to someone else. Or maybe try doing as crazy and creative with the story as you do with art direction. Because sticking to the cliche, predictable stories with mediocre writting is what drags your awesome visuals down.

I hope it does not sound too harsh, I wish you all the success you can get and a long and fruitful career in game design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom