Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Startropy - A Space Faring Sci-Fi Adventure/RPG

Startropy

Startropy Games
Developer
Hey friends, hope you've all been well. It's been a while since my last update, so let me show you what I've been working on.

So the past few months I've been working on redrawing the environment art you'll see during the resource gathering part of Startropy. This wound up being a long experimentation process until I settled on a perspective for the game world I was pretty happy with.

I then went on to create a bunch of environmental assets like rocks, weather effects, skies, mountain ranges, etc. With the intent being to try and strike a balance between making them look interesting enough in themselves but also easily reusable enough so that I can mix and layer them onto of each other in different ways to make the 80ish planets in the game.

When you see these screens, keep in mind that for resource collecting you will be seeing the world in a first-person RPG perspective.

So the first example here is a Mars-like planet:

Martian-Planet.png
Martian-Desert.png

With this being how it looks when your away-team moves across the planet:

Martian-Planet.gif

Shown next is the same planet type but undergoing an intense duststorm:

Martian-Sandstorm.gif

Next is a frozen world, with a light snow effect and without:

Frozen-World.gif
Frozen-World.png

After completing those two sample planets, I decided to try something more challenging in drawing alien flora being blown by a powerful lightning storm (a favourite environmental hazard in SC2). I wanted the scene to appear quite unusual and well, alien. So opted to use upwards lightning and have the flora use purple reflecting retinal instead of chlorophyll, a reference to the Purple Earth theory:

Storm-Retinal-Life.gif
Storm-Retinal-Life.png

I would have liked to have add some primitive towering fungi to this scene, but was aware that it's been a while since my last update and wanted to make a post once I had a decent amount of things to show.

There's still a few more environmental assets I will be working on after posting this update, one notably being creating the assets for a “hell world” which I predict will be a fair challenge.

Anyway thanks for reading peeps, enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Startropy

Startropy Games
Developer
Hey all, as mentioned previously here's the "hellworld" environment I've been working on.

I've actually been sitting on this image for a couple of weeks while working on other things, as I was experimenting with a way of adding a heat distortion effect to the scene. I wasn't too happy with the effects I came up with that covered the entire scene, and settled with just having an effect on the mountain range.

It's incredibally subtle in it original size, but less so when blown up to fullscreen:

Hellworld.gif

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Needs an update on this to be sure life is still worth living.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom