Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Ibn Sina

Arbiter
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
How can anyone in their right mind say combat is good. All guns have this airsoft feel especially true for pistols. They lack weight or punch. People complained about hitscan guns in fallout 4 but you at least could feel the weight and see the effect were it hit, with visible gore and dismemberment. Here there is no headshots even .

Ben Zyklon

Educated
giving a game with modding support a 7/10 makes zero sense. you could pay an indian on fiverr $20 to turn all the ugly NPCs into hentai catgirls. how can community-created content not influence a game's review score?
Because a review is about what the game is in the present and not the promise of what it could be when hypothetically a modder makes some unknown mod that supposedly make the game better in the future.

By that low IQ logic we should just say any game engine is the best game ever since anyone at any point in the future can create the best game ever in those engines.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
How can anyone in their right mind say combat is good. All guns have this airsoft feel especially true for pistols. They lack weight or punch. People complained about hitscan guns in fallout 4 but you at least could feel the weight and see the effect were it hit, with visible gore and dismemberment. Here there is no headshots even .
Because neither the developers or the players actually touched a firearm to use it. It used to be a requirement for developers to go to a range to get hands on experience with firearms in order to understand how to implement them in a game.

The developers of today are all leftwing nutjobs that are scared of an inanimate object and hold the contradictory view that only cops should have guns and cops are to be distrusted.

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine
Master shill CohhCarnage coming up with excuses on why he rushed the game and did not play it in depth. He has been playing on very hard, barely paying attention and had no problems. He'll most likely get tired of NG+ quickly. Dude was all smiles while playing BG3. He plays Starfield like a dude who hates his job but has soldier on for that paycheck.
The main quest is about 8h long. As i suspected you waste most of the time base building and scavening because that's what a rpg is about. /s
Bethesda stans are just mindless drones eating any shit that Todd serves them up like it's tiramisu.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Disclaimer: I made a mistake and thought that the wildlife is supposed to provide a challenge, which is not the case, so you can disregard this post.

ok I'm getting burned out on this game and am slowly reaching post nut clarity

what the fuck do you actually do in this game as it seems that there isn't progression. I can kill high level enemies on low level with a good weapon no problem. there are no stats either, is this even an RPG? The perk system, while at first looking like there is a lot of stuff going on, is actually just shit like 5% more damage and slightly finding more trash.

All aliens have the same fucking loot table. They all drop bones, tissue, cosmetic. The same goes for plants they all drop fucking leaves and sticks. You have a galaxy with all these planets and you basically get the same reskinned shit on all of them.

Honestly I can agree with other posters here like the whole game feels like it's AI generated. Everything is generic and randomly generated.

I understand if there was RPG progression here where the high level aliens are super big and strong and drop rare items that you can't find anywhere else, but there's none of that. They drop the same shit that level 1 aliens drop and look the same too.

Exploring planets is a joke too, each location has a chest or "dung pile" that contains random loot. So there is a cave on a remote desert planet without any signs of life, where there is a fucking coffer with 500 credits?

Listen guys, I liked the game for 30 hours, I really did, but when I found out that this game was basically going nowhere I just lost all interest. I like RPGs not fucking Minecraft with a Skyrim storyline written by an AI.

Even the base building which I liked at first seems to have absolutely no purpose. What a let down.

If you can remember the game Spore, this is pretty much it. A bunch of random aliens on random planets and then.. nothing.

I'll give the game some more time and check some things I haven't touched yet, but yeah, no RPG progression? Not an RPG!

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
The big problem is that you're constantly fighting to find content. The Ranger questline was great fun but as soon as it was over, I was just stood in cowboy town thinking "what the fuck do I do now"? The characters who I quite liked had nothing more to say to me, the story I'd been invested in was over, and I was back to standing in a big empty city wondering what I was meant to do next.

Compare with, say, Oblivion, where every city has like five easy-to-find quests and there are lengthy guild questlines that make sure you're always moving ahead, plot-wise. Or Fallout 3, where the world is replete with lengthy sidequests that offer complete story arcs featuring central characters and locations.

The big problem of course is that, even when you don't have an active quest in other Bethesda games, the world is open for you to explore, and you can choose to wander off and find something interesting on your own without guidance. In Starfleet, though, no such luck - there's no equivalent of Fo3's ruins or Skyrim's barrows and tombs. Roaming Vvardenfell, Cyrodiil, the Capital Wasteland or Skyrim was fun on its own. Roaming Starfield's empty planets is not fun, so you really have to rely on quests.

It's doubly annoying because there actually is quite a bit of content but it's just so spread out that you spend more time looking for it than actually playing it.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
All aliens have the same fucking loot table. They all drop bones, tissue, cosmetic. The same goes for plants they all drop fucking leaves and sticks. You have a galaxy with all these planets and you basically get the same reskinned shit on all of them.
Good job you figured out why these kinds of games are bad.

Child of Malkav

Erudite

Child of Malkav

Erudite
I can kill high level enemies on low level with a good weapon no problem.
If you watched Synth's stream you would have seen that this game is nothing but a shooter....with RPG stats sprinked on top, just a little bit. He was level 8 and was able to kill level 36 and level 40 enemies relatively easy.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Elite Dangerous has much better space flight simulation and NMS, may Allah forgive me for uttering this, has better overall "do random pointless shit" gameplay.

Vic

Savant
in Fallout 4 you start off fighting rad roaches and then work yourself up to fighting deathclaws, and then due to the level scaling legendary deathclaws. There is a point in playing, you wanna make your character stronger. In Starfield there is no point, there are no strong enemies, there's nothing out there lmao

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Quest design is starting to get annoying. I'm running back and forth between the same four towns because people keep giving me quest markers in each town. Sometimes quest objectives are interesting, but it's mostly playing a game of Chase The Quest Marker.

I always wish Bethesda would make more quests that take place in a specific location - like, you walk into town, solve a few problems, then head on to the next adventure. Instead, I keep ricocheting between Cyberpunk World and Cowboy World because idiots on both worlds are like "oh can you go talk to my sister who lives in Cowboy World and report back to me", which makes me feel less like a daring space adventurer on a continuing mission of exploration and more like a fucking idiot working for doordash.
This disconnect is a dead giveaway that you're actually dealing with a so called "Radiant Quest".
It's been like that since Skyrim.

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
in Fallout 4 you start off fighting rad roaches and then work yourself up to fighting deathclaws, and then due to the level scaling legendary deathclaws. There is a point in playing, you wanna make your character stronger. In Starfield there is no point, there are no strong enemies, there's nothing out there lmao

In space no one can hear you :smug:
ding

likash

Savant
Glory to Ukraine

what the fuck do you actually do in this game as it seems that there isn't progression. I can kill high level enemies on low level with a good weapon no problem. there are no stats either, is this even an RPG? The perk system, while at first looking like there is a lot of stuff going on, is actually just shit like 5% more damage and slightly finding more trash.

Honestly I can agree with other posters here like the whole game feels like it's AI generated. Everything is generic and randomly generated.

I understand if there was RPG progression here where the high level aliens are super big and strong and drop rare items that you can't find anywhere else, but there's none of that. They drop the same shit that level 1 aliens drop and look the same too.

Exploring planets is a joke too, each location has a chest or "dung pile" that contains random loot. So there is a cave on a remote desert planet without any signs of life, where there is a fucking coffer with 500 credits?

Listen guys, I liked the game for 30 hours, I really did, but when I found out that this game was basically going nowhere I just lost all interest. I like RPGs not fucking Minecraft with a Skyrim storyline written by an AI.

Even the base building which I liked at first seems to have absolutely no purpose. What a let down.

If you can remember the game Spore, this is pretty much it. A bunch of random aliens on random planets and then.. nothing.

I'll give the game some more time and check some things I haven't touched yet, but yeah, no RPG progression? Not an RPG!
What took you so long dumbass?

Cancer Clancy

Literate
https://www.youtube.com/@HeelvsBabyface/streams

Stream 1 runtime: 6:33:01
Stream 2 runtime: 5:18:52
Stream 3 runtime: 4:05:45
Stream 4 runtime: 8:21:06

That is a combined runtime of 24 and a half hours, with stream number five going on for well over an hour and a half at this point.

If the game is such abject shit it is grounds to scream like a child like this, why is he still playing it? It's not like he's garnering that many views with those livestreams, the only ones that get a significant amount are the ones with Mauler.

I don't get why anyone would watch that retard anyway. Every video he does is just unscripted rambling about the same fucking topic every other "anti-woke" Youtuber also covers and many of them do it better than he does. He's not particularly interesting, or insightful or even eloquent. He's just a sad, fat, middle aged baldie with a chip on his shoulder. He even manages the amazing feat of having a British accent while not sounding more intelligent because of it. Given that there are better alternatives, why does this guy even have an audience? He's completely useless.

I stopped watching him after he advised every one of his viewers to not buy a game then in the same video he said he was going to buy the collectors edition of said game.
What game did he say this about?

ArchAngel

Arcane

Damn man, you are really Starfield's SumDrunkGuy. Just like this he would one day praise D4 to heavens (often while drunk) and telling us how he bought another 50$ of e-items for his e-girl and then next day he would leave posts like yours about D4.. tomorrow I expect you to praise Starfield to heavens again.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.youtube.com/@HeelvsBabyface/streams

Stream 1 runtime: 6:33:01
Stream 2 runtime: 5:18:52
Stream 3 runtime: 4:05:45
Stream 4 runtime: 8:21:06

That is a combined runtime of 24 and a half hours, with stream number five going on for well over an hour and a half at this point.

If the game is such abject shit it is grounds to scream like a child like this, why is he still playing it? It's not like he's garnering that many views with those livestreams, the only ones that get a significant amount are the ones with Mauler.

I don't get why anyone would watch that retard anyway. Every video he does is just unscripted rambling about the same fucking topic every other "anti-woke" Youtuber also covers and many of them do it better than he does. He's not particularly interesting, or insightful or even eloquent. He's just a sad, fat, middle aged baldie with a chip on his shoulder. He even manages the amazing feat of having a British accent while not sounding more intelligent because of it. Given that there are better alternatives, why does this guy even have an audience? He's completely useless.

I stopped watching him after he advised every one of his viewers to not buy a game then in the same video he said he was going to buy the collectors edition of said game.
What game did he say this about?

I don't remember to be honest. It was about 2 years ago when it happened.

Vic

Savant
Damn man, you are really Starfield's SumDrunkGuy. Just like this he would one day praise D4 to heavens (often while drunk) and telling us how he bought another 50$ of e-items for his e-girl and then next day he would leave posts like yours about D4.. tomorrow I expect you to praise Starfield to heavens again.
I will praise it again if I find out that there are indeed cool enemies with cool loot to fight and that base building is not completely pointless. I mean I am kinda burned out on it after playing for 4 days straight so I might be missing something here. If you do know let me know.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Elite Dangerous has much better space flight simulation and NMS, may Allah forgive me for uttering this, has better overall "do random pointless shit" gameplay.
From the looks of it almost every other space game has better flight simulation

Vic

Savant
Lemming42 do these quests make you fight anything other than fucking space raiders?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom