Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ADL

Prophet
Until it's confirmed that you can truly play the game without quest markers, this is shit in my mind no matter how many speech checks and alternate starts they throw at you. Now with Kingdom Come Deliverance, Breath of the Wild, Genshin Impact, Elden Ring and even recent Assassin's Creed titles as competition in the open world space, anything similar to their games released in the 2010s would feel immediately dated so I'm hoping they give you the ability to explore without being overly reliant on bullshit in your HUD. Hopefully Skyrim/Fallout 4-era open world design stays dead and buried.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
It will be interesting to see what he means by "older hardcore RPGs, something that we used to do." Does he mean Skyrim, which is approaching 11 years old? Or does he mean Morrowind, which is almost 20 years old? Because there is a huge difference between the two of them. Both in the RPG aspects, but in the actual game design, e.g. Morrowind having no fast travel, limited map, no level scaling, etc.
they are both shit

Nah. Morrowind was legit great. Skyrim was a good game but barely an RPG, maybe not even one.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
At any rate, games like Elite have set a pretty good standard for authentic-feeling, non-hand-holdy space travel. Starfield will have a high bar to hurdle in that department. If that's even a thing. In Elite, you can spend literal days flying around without ever running into a station or another ship. And if you run out of fuel, you're dead unless you get some help. I'm willing to bet this is a level of simulation BGS isn't going to commit to (and I can't blame them, most gamers do not want to spend hours with their hands on a flight stick, flying through imaginary space to conduct planet scans).

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Ehm yeah? The vast majority of Codexers sink 100+ hours into every Bethesda game. Most of people here played the shit out of Skyrim and Fallout 4.
I couldn't get into Daggerfall.
I have 100+ hours in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.
I couldn't finish Fallout 4, just got bored and stopped playing at one point.
I only did the free trial period for Elder Scrolls online, combat seemed too dull, given its 90% of gameplay.

1000000000+ hours in Football Manager though

Kem0sabe

Arcane
At any rate, games like Elite have set a pretty good standard for authentic-feeling, non-hand-holdy space travel. Starfield will have a high bar to hurdle in that department. If that's even a thing. In Elite, you can spend literal days flying around without ever running into a station or another ship. And if you run out of fuel, you're dead unless you get some help. I'm willing to bet this is a level of simulation BGS isn't going to commit to (and I can't blame them, most gamers do not want to spend hours with their hands on a flight stick, flying through imaginary space to conduct planet scans).
Elite is a boring piece of crap that hardly anyone plays, with devs so inept that they just announced they were abandoning the console versions because they fucked up the code base so much that they didn't have the capacity maintain a console and a PC version of the game updated at the same time.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
Elite is a boring piece of crap that hardly anyone plays,

No it isn't. It's pretty fun.

with devs so inept that they just announced they were abandoning the console versions because they fucked up the code base so much that they didn't have the capacity maintain a console and a PC version of the game updated at the same time.

I don't care what happens to console peasants on consoles.

ETA: The game should have never been on consoles anyway. The limitations of the controller for consoles have hampered the expansion of features into the PC version, such as letting you have more firing groups than 2 (!!), which was always absolutely fucking insane. Here's your spaceship that can fly at the speed of light, with a trillion ways to customize it, but sorry you can only have two fire groups.

Good riddance. Getting rid of consoles from development is the best thing they could have done for the game.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
No it isn't. It's pretty fun.
If you're referring to elite dangerous, it's the most unfun non-game I've ever played. I suspect you need a very certain type of autism to enjoy "playing" euro truck sim's space trucker DLC.

I love the shit out this game and after I work through my current catalog of games, I will be getting back to it. There is something very relaxing about throwing on my headphones and cruising through space to mine space asteroids for space bucks, then dropping out of super cruise to face fuck a pirate because I refuse to drop my cargo.

I can enjoy slower pace in games, but with friends or at least people you can chat with while your doing a task. It's one of the best feature of the BF2 mod Project Reality and later Squad with the excellent squad and locale voice chat, sitting in some apartment block defending a flag that is probably not gonna get attacked and talking shit with your friends, or while you're riding a truck or hiking through the forest to the objective, only to get vaporized in 10 sec after the 10 min hike xD. Same thing in Outward to a degree.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Shooter with medium engagement distance, framerate low for close quarters, 3d renderers can't even keep up with long

reminder if it's up to western "creative" industry you won't get >48fps ie. HFR anytime soon.

tritosine2k

Erudite
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Masterclass in Why 48 FPS Fails
2012. dec. 19. — With his latest film, Jackson shot the film not only in 3D, but also at twice the normal frame rate or "HFR" which stands for High Frame ...

compared to 30 it's easily night & day, reminder if console v-sync drops it alternates between 20-30. If 48 is not high to you then you bought into some fringe, like PC gaming "thriving" on the fact recent titles have low graphics complexity bc. old gen consoles.

Yosharian

Arcane
Bro we are talking about games not movies, and 60+ FPS as a standard is not 'fringe'. 90+ is the minimum for me though I understand not everyone has such standards. But acting like 48 FPS is anywhere near a 'high' frame rate, you must be a console gamer, this ain't fucking 2005, we have actual standards now

tritosine2k

Erudite
Last action game made for 60fps outside of esport titles was RAGE iirc, and it shows. Todd even said it's not even under consideration because they chose complexity. That means whatever behavior you get out of the game at such framerate is not even intended, and a ground up HFR game behaves differently for granted.

Codex Year of the Donut
Last action game made for 60fps outside of esport titles was RAGE iirc, and it shows. Todd even said it's not even under consideration because they chose complexity. That means whatever behavior you get out of the game at such framerate is not even intended, and a ground up HFR game behaves differently for granted.
anytime you post about anything technical I get a headache

tritosine2k

Erudite
anytime you post about anything technical I get a headache

New Information

Sometimes learning new information can lead to feelings of cognitive dissonance. For example, if you engage in a behavior that you later learn is harmful, it can lead to feelings of discomfort. People sometimes deal with this either by finding ways to justify their behaviors or findings ways to discredit or ignore new information.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom