Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
no, you can fast travel from anywhere to anywhere if you've already been in that solar system. If you haven't, you can only fast travel into orbit first, and then you can fast travel to any ground location in that solar system from then on onward from anywhere else in the game. If you've explored a good chunk, it's basically: accept quest, fast travel to the destination, do quest, fast travel back to turn it in. There's really not much spacesim stuff imo, so it should be compared to games like Fallout 3/4 and Elder Scrolls and not to No Man's Sky imo.
Starfield abandoned the Open World RPG subgenre that Bethesda Softworks established in Morrowind and continued with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4. There are procedurally-generated environments that the player can run around, but nothing resembling the hand-crafted overworld which dominated that series of games. Arguably, Starfield is closer to Daggerfall and Arena, but those games offered vast, complex dungeons to roam around, which are also lacking in Starfield. There is a void when it comes to Starfield's fundamental gameplay loop.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Of course I am. People have been since it was announced.
and that was their mistake
For non-Bugthesda fans, the only draw to the game is that it's a space game.
space game as in its set in space? Because that's the only thing it is, it's not a space sim. So people who didn't like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, there might not be much to like here either.

There is a void when it comes to Starfield's fundamental gameplay loop.
a void as in space, right.

Seriously tho, that's a big issue with the game which is the lack of interesting locations to explore. I can imagine a few things which they could've added, but didn't. Like space cultist shrines, more smaller settlements with quests, etc. Will they still add it with DLCs? Or will modders add them? Who knows, but right now game is severely lacking in exploration outside of the few cities and outposts. Still, you can actually spend many hours exploring these. Reminds me of playing Planescape: Torment where most of your exploration happens within Sigil. Kind of similar, but a weird design decision for a game of this type.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
trade routes? I think you are comparing it to spacesim games again.
Of course I am. People have been since it was announced.

For non-Bugthesda fans, the only draw to the game is that it's a space game.

For Bugthesda fans, they already tolerate 90% of the jank and just want Fallout 3 in space.
Not even Bugthesda fans probably like it that much, even compared to FO3, the game is just so souless. It's such a PG13 theme park, FO at least had interesting setting that Bethesda couldn't COMPLETELY screw up, TES games had some charm and ocassional decent side quest, but Starfield just sucks. It's the worst, most nonsensical and uninteresting setting Bethesda ever did, and it's so sanitized that even woke crowd bitches about it. Shit has absolutely no redeeming qualities, I was hating on BG3 quite a lot, but compared to this dogshit, BG3 looks like an absolute masterpiece.

Vic

Savant
Not even Bugthesda fans probably like it that much, even compared to FO3, the game is just so souless. It's such a PG13 theme park, FO at least had interesting setting that Bethesda couldn't COMPLETELY screw up, TES games had some charm and ocassional decent side quest, but Starfield just sucks. It's the worst, most nonsensical and uninteresting setting Bethesda ever did, and it's so sanitized that even woke crowd bitches about it. Shit has absolutely no redeeming qualities, I was hating on BG3 quite a lot, but compared to this dogshit, BG3 looks like an absolute masterpiece.
Agreed 100%

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
and that was their mistake
No, because every Freelancer-like space game for the past few decades has had some basic features like trading, pirating, freelancing etc.

If you're going to make a space game and then leave out a feature people are used to, that's going to be a pretty big deal, and you should probably prepare them for it - like they tried to do with the lack of seemless planet landing, something that several recent space games have had, but they failed to do with the way "exploring" planets works.

PR fail.

That's why you had people here comparing Starfield to Starcitizen and Elite: Dangerous for months.
space game as in its set in space? Because that's the only thing it is, it's not a space sim. So people who didn't like Fallout 4 and Skyrim, there might not be much to like here either.
Again:
For Bugthesda fans, they already tolerate 90% of the jank and just want Fallout 3 in space.
All you were looking for as a Bethesda fan was Fallout 3 in space. But I don't care about Fallout 3. I just want a space game with the barebones features that every other free-roaming space game seems to have.

What's the point of adding cargo pods to your ship if the only cargo you can carry is random loot? What's the point of outposts if they don't mine resources for you to sell to the highest bidder? They copied asteroid mining from other space sims, along with a lot of other features, but left out trade. Oof.

I bet it will take some modder a month or two after the toolkit is released next year to slap together a serviceable trading system that will give players at least something to do besides fight the same slow dogfights over and over, or explore randomly generated filler content.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Not even Bugthesda fans probably like it that much
I'm talking about expectations. Obviously, the reality is disappointing to Bethesda fans.

But it's disappointing because it fails to be Fallout 3 - a giant theme park with things to discover around every corner - not because it fails to be a good space game.

Vic

Savant
If you're going to make a space game and then leave out a feature people are used to, that's going to be a pretty big deal, and you should probably prepare them for it - like they tried to do with the lack of seemless planet landing, something that several recent space games have had, but they failed to do with the way "exploring" planets works.

PR fail.
Absolutely, looking at the steam trailer, this is really not the game we got:

What's out there? Nothing, pretty much :lol:

Zeriel

Arcane
no, you can fast travel from anywhere to anywhere if you've already been in that solar system. If you haven't, you can only fast travel into orbit first, and then you can fast travel to any ground location in that solar system from then on onward from anywhere else in the game. If you've explored a good chunk, it's basically: accept quest, fast travel to the destination, do quest, fast travel back to turn it in. There's really not much spacesim stuff imo, so it should be compared to games like Fallout 3/4 and Elder Scrolls and not to No Man's Sky imo.
Starfield abandoned the Open World RPG subgenre that Bethesda Softworks established in Morrowind and continued with Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, and Fallout 4. There are procedurally-generated environments that the player can run around, but nothing resembling the hand-crafted overworld which dominated that series of games. Arguably, Starfield is closer to Daggerfall and Arena, but those games offered vast, complex dungeons to roam around, which are also lacking in Starfield. There is a void when it comes to Starfield's fundamental gameplay loop.

They also offered a conceit of living in the world. It's very simulationist in some ways. You can buy and own property systemically, boats, mounts, cargo wagons for said dungeoneering, a banking system, every province having its own legal & organizational systems even if it was only skindeep--it's not just "we have made some predetermined apartments you can decorate here if you buy them", it was its own system.

I give Daggerfall a lot of credit for this overall package for being groundbreaking at the time, in offering basically a singleplayer MMO experience when many people didn't even have access to MMOs. That was its niche and what made it special. It wouldn't be nearly so special 25~ years later. The fact we're here that 25 years later, and there are these new games that aren't even achieving the systemic but empty world that Daggerfall did... sheesh.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
Fairly shocked there were people here saying the Crimson Fleet storyline is good, or even the best in the game. It's laughably terrible.

-The only way to join is to get a UC bounty or do a favor for them, then get offered the undercover mission. This could be interesting as an option for a good character to experience the plotline, but it's the only way for any character even if you want to be a bad guy.
-There's no option to come clean to the CF and ditch the UC or otherwise become a double agent until the very last mission. If you act too much like a pirate during the missions it will fail the entire questline, even though the CF wouldn't care.
-There are random missions where you steal something, hijack ships, or smuggle cargo. But that's the only "pirate" activity you do. The first story mission is a dungeon crawl, the second is a dialogue mission where you talk to people. So you join the pirates and barely do anything remotely pirate-y.
-After every story mission you fly straight back to the UC and report in. Never mind that any CF member could easily follow you and blow your cover, you can bring a Crimson Fleet companion to the UC and not suffer any consequences. If you're trying to sell me on this undercover BS plot, not letting me BRING CRIMINALS TO A UC COMMAND SHIP is pretty basic.
-Every mission has an oh-so-convenient way to avoid having to do anything evil. There's no scene like "shoot this UC cadet in the face or we'll space you."
-The whole story is just a treasure hunt and the reward is money, no cool ships or pirate stuff. Lame.

1/5, very disappoint, I'm going to finish the main quest for completionism OCD and uninstall.

Last edited:

Vic

Savant

Enhanced Presets - Official Collection​

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/3450

3450-1695303076-130988916.jpeg
3450-1695303077-720790543.jpeg
3450-1695303085-162675999.jpeg

Ben Zyklon

Educated
Fairly shocked there were people here saying the Crimson Fleet storyline is good, or even the best in the game. It's laughably terrible.

-The only way to join is to get a UC bounty or do a favor for them, then get offered the undercover mission. This could be interesting as an option for a good character to experience the plotline, but it's the only way for any character even if you want to be a bad guy.
-There's no option to come clean to the CF and ditch the UC or otherwise become a double agent until the very last mission. If you act too much like a pirate during the missions it will fail the entire questline, even though the CF wouldn't care.
-There are random missions where you steal something, hijack ships, or smuggle cargo. But that's the only "pirate" activity you do. The first story mission is a dungeon crawl, the second is a dialogue mission where you talk to people. So you join the pirates and barely do anything remotely pirate-y.
-After every story mission you fly straight back to the UC and report in. Never mind that any CF member could easily follow you and blow your cover, you can bring a Crimson Fleet companion to the UC and not suffer any consequences. If you're trying to sell me on this undercover BS plot, not letting me BRING CRIMINALS TO A UC COMMAND SHIP is pretty basic.
-Every mission has an oh-so-convenient way to avoid having to do anything evil. There's no scene like "shoot this UC cadet in the face or we'll space you."
-The whole story is just a treasure hunt and the reward is money, no cool ships or pirate stuff. Lame.

1/5, very disappoint, I'm going to finish the main quest for completionism OCD and uninstall.
Great summary, so glad I uninstalled this garbage even though I never played any faction quest, I could already see this kind of shit happening.

This is like a Lego game, it's that fucking low IQ, hell there are Lego games more entertaining than this piece garbage.

Zeriel

Arcane
Eleos Retreat
Another dumb quest. "We're creating a rehab planet for criminals." Sounds like the plot of Borderlands.
guy literally did every quest in the game, calls game shit

:balance:

If you didn't play the entire game:

"Well you can't judge it yet!"

If you played every single ounce of content:

"You must have loved it!"

Pure kafkatrapping at its finest.

Ben Zyklon

Educated
Eleos Retreat
Another dumb quest. "We're creating a rehab planet for criminals." Sounds like the plot of Borderlands.
guy literally did every quest in the game, calls game shit

:balance:

If you didn't play the entire game:

"Well you can't judge it yet!"

If you played every single ounce of content:

"You must have loved it!"

Pure kafkatrapping at its finest.
Yeah it's dishonesty at it's finest.

It's weir though, this Vic guy clearly knows the game is dogshit so I don't know why he defends it from time to time... maybe he is trying to justify that he keeps playing it somehow.

Vic

Savant
It's weir though, this Vic guy clearly knows the game is dogshit so I don't know why he defends it from time to time... maybe he is trying to justify that he keeps playing it somehow.
I'm not defending it but I'm not binary either where a game is either absolute shit or GOTY. Game has many flaws but at the same time it has a lot of "fast-food" Bethesda-quality quest content and the gameplay is fun and addictive. I've been playing for 143 hours according to my save file and am still discovering news things. Also, mods make the game a lot more enjoyable, I have over 30 mods installed right now and could never go back to vanilla.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
When did I say I did every quest? I happened upon the Eleos Retreat quest and mentioned it. It stood out for being particularly moronic. A group of people cares so much about space criminals they're going to create a half-way house planet. Only a woke soytard could come up with that. I've completed the Freestar questline and Crimson Fleet. Didn't touch Vanguard or the Megacorp. I did a few other random questlines here and there. Did the "gang" quest in Neon, it's stupid. Did the Settler questline in some star system, and it was okay.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
forgot to rank it, base game only:

Morrowind > New Vegas > Oblivion > Fallout 3 > Skyrim > Fallout 4 > Starfield

Daggerfall > Morrowind > New Vegas > Skyrim > F3==F4 >>> Oblivion > Starfield
No way SF is worse than FO4. 3 was kind of shit too tbh. SF is firmly middle of the road as far as Bethesda goes.

Morrowind = New Vegas >> Skyrim > Starfield >>>> FO3 >>>>>>>>>> FO4

Vic

Savant
FO4 has synths, ghouls, mutants, more factions, power armor, settlement system that makes sense, no useless junk, more interesting and varied companions, a survival mode, more weapon variety (fat man), ...

Bigfass

Learned
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
She looks normal in my game. Looks like she's a randomly generated NPC with no racial preference.

1695356862103.png

I kinda wonder, is there a Chinese localized version of Starfield? Is it unpronouned and deniggerified like other entertainment slop that gets shoveled there?

What's the point of adding cargo pods to your ship if the only cargo you can carry is random loot?
More like, what's the point if the most efficient way to carry stuff is in your pockets while overencumbered, amirite?

If you want to use cargo pods instead, you can have 1 ship with enormous storage that's barely able to move. It's OK, you never have to fly this ship. You only switch to it (temporarily) when you want to add stuff to ship cargo. You then switch back to your daily driver that has the bare minimum in terms of cargo. The game will move everything to your small ship. It will be over the limit so you can't add to it, which is why you need to switch back and forth. It's a bit of a hassle to keep doing this, and if you ever want to loot space junk you have to move the ship cargo to your pockets and become immensely overencumbered, but whatever. It works.

Vic

Savant
I don't think Cora's model is unique, hence why she doesn't look like her parents, they just slapped a generic child model on her that you see dozens of times in the game

Late Bloomer is an insane conspiracy theorist who thinks this game is a psyop by the Ugandan prime minister. It's nothing more than Bethesda's inept approach to try and be "woke", but it massively backfired due to their incompetence, as somebody else said itt

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
One thing I blame for this game is goypass. There's not much pressure to reach sales numbers as before so devs care even less now. This game just a pawn in Microsoft's grand scheme taking over gaming as a whole by increasing the market share.
"Embrace extend extinguish" is a Microsoft strategy towards everything since 90s. It isn't a meme.

"Embrace, extend, and extinguish" (EEE),[1] also known as "embrace, extend, and exterminate",[2] is a phrase that the U.S. Department of Justice found[3] was used internally by Microsoft[4] to describe its strategy for entering product categories involving widely used standards, extending those standards with proprietary capabilities, and then using those differences in order to strongly disadvantage its competitors.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend,_and_extinguish

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom