Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
we get it you have no money to upgrade your PC

Vic

Savant
DeViti I see you disagree with my statement that Starfield is more of an RPG than Fallout 4. This is pretty accurate actually. Both are games which I don’t consider being true RPGs and more FPS with RPG elements. That’s because the combat is too reliant on player skill and there are no real role playing options besides the rail roaded quests, with a few choices for flavour.

Starfield though has more of these choices than Fallout 4 and 3. You have unique dialogue options depending on your character’s skills and traits. More gameplay elements are locked behind skill points like the ability to utilize ship thrusters and advanced crafting. There are multiple outcomes for quests which are not always just different flavor text.

Yes Starfield is an FPS with RPG elements and it’s more of an RPG than Fallout 4.

If you would take Fallout 4 and replace the map with empty wasteland with a few POIs, and then copy paste these cells a million times and seperate them by a loading screen. You have Fallout 4’s gameplay minus the intricate handcrafted content. For that of course we have a handful of cells which are stocked with content, the cities, and they do apparently have more hand crafted content than Fallout 4. The issue is, as many have mentioned, is that these hubs are disjointed from the procedurally generated cells where the actual gameplay takes place.

I already said in the very beginning of this thread that if you liked Fallout 4’s combat you’ll probably like this, because you’ll get a loot of it’s looter shooter gameplay here. Yesterday I spent a couple hours just hunting down Elites for loot, got a rifle that does 400+ damage. I’m still not really interested in doing too many quests but the gameplay is there and it’s an improvement over Fallout 4.

I actually encountered some interesting locations and quests, I have picked up a few settlers that are now living on my ship waiting for me to drop them off at Neon, which won’t happen for a while.

I do think the analogy of a million of Fallout 4’s map cells, stitched together with loading screens, and a couple stocked with hand crafted content is accurate. It results in a kind of patchwork of an endless flow of enemies and loot, with some good old Bethesda-type quests at the center.

Self-Ejected
The games feels way more an rpg compared with Skyrim or Fallout 4. For instance skills that persuade people in Skyrim are useless since you can convince everybody and not even have points on speechcraft. The exception is fallout 4 but in the end in fallout4 all quests are very linear and tend to never stray too much and aside of the MQ you cannot really have decision power.

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
  • They also practice slavery
  • One of their quests involve quelling an slave rebellion
  • Dark Elves have Dark Skin due a literal curse by Azura.
  • Everyone is very racist in the game and refers to you a n'wah. The leader of one of the hosues refuses no matter what to recognize a "n'wah" and this is also a point in the mq.
All this stuff is fine. Just blame it on "the system" and move on.

If the Dunmer were white, then it'd be an issue. But the Dunmer even enslave Bretons iirc, so it's not a problem. Equality and all.

That said, stuff like the player buying a slave might get axed. And the Imperial that interviews you when you arrive would probably need to be changed into a black man.

Actually, the very idea that Imperials are white would need to be retconned. And if we give it a few more years, the way things are going, we might see Bethesda give races the axe treatment and make all humans into one race with multiple skin colors. No redguards or anything, since literally everywhere needs to look like a modern-day melting pot.

Elder Scrolls 6 probably won't tell us much about the racial future of Tamriel though. IIRC, it's supposed to be set in Redguard, which means there's going to be a lore-friendly excuse for making most of the characters black this time.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Mb6gk8N.png

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
FO4 was an "action adventure" if we use CP77's terminology. The only RPG in it were the combat stats. Starfield does not go quite as far as FONV, but it has a few skill checks and approaches to solving quests. There's more to it than just shooting.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Actually, the very idea that Imperials are white would need to be retconned. And if we give it a few more years, the way things are going, we might see Bethesda give races the axe treatment and make all humans into one race with multiple skin colors. No redguards or anything, since literally everywhere needs to look like a modern-day melting pot.
nah, everyone but redguards. we wuz kangz.

sebas

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
[*]Bretons start the game with 50 INT and Redguards, with 30. All char stats will need to be re balanced.
Oh please, balance stats pfff. They will go straight up for the Mages guild leader to be a Redguard bisexual woman with a Vulkan haircut.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
You can't even tell the difference between 60 FPS and 120 FPS, lol.
you absolutely can if your monitor supports it
Ohhh I see the problem. You're mentally retarded.
They fell for it lol.
121.png
You didn't fall for a troll, you fell for the muh FPS grift. Many such cases.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
[*]Bretons start the game with 50 INT and Redguards, with 30. All char stats will need to be re balanced.
Oh please, balance stats pfff. They will go straight up for the Mages guild leader to be a Redguard bisexual woman with a Vulkan haircut.

Fun fact, the archmage of morrowind mages guild was not liked by many members cuz they study magic more like academics and he was a battlemage which has a more practical war oriented view of magery. They not only will have to gender and race swap the archmage but also change a lot of dialog and quests.

dress wearing person!

Trebonius Artorius is a battlemage, he has the following major skills : Alteration, Destruction, Conjuration, Axe and Heavy Armor, my last Morrowind battlemage was a guy which used mostly heavy armor and a enchanted axe. I love being a mage but in TES games, being a "battlemage" is the superior choice. Magically enchanted weapons are much stronger than any spell or non magical weapon, mainly after you get high level on enchanting and get powerful souls in soulgems.

You can easily get 3 digit damage per weapon strike till the item run out of charges and needs time to recharge.

Bethesda give races the axe treatment and make all humans into one race with multiple skin colors. No redguards or anything, since literally everywhere needs to look like a modern-day melting pot.

Yep. Races are each new game more and more homogenized. Nordic had immunity to cold and resistance vs electricity, Dunmer, 75% fire resistance in Morrowind. And look into Skyrim and Online, races are becoming more and more just cosmetic. Drawbacks in races also got removed. High elf had a huge magic potential but also crippling weakness vs magic and low endurance(hence using magical weapons can kill then quickly), now, in Online, there are little to no difference in the gameplay of a Breton and of a Altmer.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
in Online, there are little to no difference in the gameplay of a Breton and of a Altmer
That's really just a symptom of being an MMO. Once you make it a multiplayer game, everything gets so balanced that it becomes boring. I think there's no real question that most modern games are much more balanced than their predecessors. It even creeps into RTS, where newer versions of the game have some crazy highly-specialized units removed. (Example: Patriot missiles in War Game Red Dragon vs. no such thing in WARNO, Ortos gas launchers from Dune 2.)

Yosharian

Arcane
you absolutely can if your monitor supports it
Ohhh I see the problem. You're mentally retarded.
They fell for it lol.
121.png
You didn't fall for a troll, you fell for the muh FPS grift. Many such cases.
Another retard, then. Wow, that's even worse lmao.

Self-Ejected
nah, everyone but redguards. we wuz kangz.
Imperials as a race has always been pretty fair of complexion with sometimes shades that goes from the pale to the slightly tanned. The empire as a faction instead little care about the races that join in as long they follow their traditions and ideals.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Now a 2004 game. Imagine with modern tech, how the graphics SHOULD look closer to the closplayer but looks like the images above.

While i agree with the sentiment, VtmB isn't a good example because the visuals were stylized and have exaggerated features instead of being realistic (and the lack of such stylization is the main reason VtmB 2 looks worse despite the improved tech) especially in character designs.

It was common at the time (see BloodRayne as a similar example) to exaggerate the visuals as they were still very influenced from action hero comics (which for many 3D artists were the main inspiration to draw from). Alyx from HL2 would be a closer example to trying to make realistic characters as would be characters from existing IPs that had associated actors (e.g. Alias or Dark Angel - the same gallery has photos of Jessica Alba from the series to compare and you can see they tried to make the 3D model look like her, low resolution notwithstanding - of course some games stylized the characters of TV shows anyway, e.g. Buffy, though even that isn't as exaggerated as VtmB or BloodRayne).

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

A question for you tech guys, why is the game designed like this? I mean, it's the same old engine, so we know it allows for vast open environments. Is it only because of area transitions? But then, we know for example Skyrim can have the cities open through mods, as in being part of the open world.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
why is the game designed like this?

To simplify a lot, because there is a limit to how many objects the memory can load. Bugthesda always had interiors and exteriors as different "scenes". But I'm not a game dev, I can be talking shit.

Skyrim can have the cities open through mods,

Yes, but the interior of buildings and dungeons still require to load a new area. And I doubt that in x360, that would be possible. X360 had notorious long skyrim loading screens without having to load cities and interiors. Use the mods which allow it and see how much memory Skyrim consumes. X360 had 512 Mb of RAM. Nowadays, the standard is 16G and 8G is very low end.

Bugthesda also has the radiant AI. Each NPC has a scripted behavior. And some NPC's transition in many areas.

Is understandable for x360.

But if you are demanding such high hardware requirements, is just laziness.

Vic

Savant
pro tip: if you've cleared out a dungeon you can fast travel to it on the map and pop out outside without having to find the way out

another one: best planets to explore are those with abundand life on them (flora/fauna)

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

A question for you tech guys, why is the game designed like this? I mean, it's the same old engine, so we know it allows for vast open environments. Is it only because of area transitions? But then, we know for example Skyrim can have the cities open through mods, as in being part of the open world.

OK so let me destroy some myths about the creation engine. First off is not a bad engine because it works in cells is way easier to allocate huge chunks of data dividing them. This mean you can have a huge city the size of night city plus you can be able to enter every single building even if you have a loading screen. It also allows for dynamic objects to fill an ambient and objects that actually have a physics.
Who made that video is an absolute idiot that dosn't know anything.
Why Cyberpunk has this huge wide city where you cannot enter 90% of the buildings? It is really easy is because they wanted a seamless open world this mean most of the building cannot be nothing else than scenery only stuff otherwise the game would require an huge power to run. Quite frankly is better to have short loading screen but a way more interactive openworld rather than have a huge wide place with nothing on it.

The Creation engine allows this and allows a dynamism that other engines cannot. Of course it also have flaws. But the ammount you can do with it vastly surpasses what you cannot.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It is very strange. For example when you landed on a planet you can look at what is happening outside through your pilot windows and it is all happening in real time as if you were outside the ship (except they ignore you).
You can see same NPCs, battles, areas, environment and such. But you are still required to do a loading screen to exit the ship. Probably some engine limitation..

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom