Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Starfield - Epic Shit Takes from Bethestards

Late Bloomer

Scholar
You ruined the Starfield discussion Vic. If that was your plan, bravo.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hey, Vic was right, the game did improve significantly around the 20-hour mark:

4th melee weapon
KIXnfLm.png

RC4vLzE.png

FugueLah

Scholar
Vic, why the fuck do you care so much about whether everyone else likes the game or not? I am enjoying the game, but there is a lot to not like about it.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Who's that blonde chick in her late 30s everyone is posting on screens?
Main character's mom?
Romanceable NPC:

56iyoyxwxbmb1.jpg

And I thought Skyrim stealth was busted.

So if Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns, and Skyrim is Oblivion with guns with swords, this means that that Starfield is Oblivion with guns with swords with guns.
Your math is faulty you skipped fallout 4.

Are you telling me that there's a Failout 3, 4, and 76?

The real Fallout 3 is the Van Burens we imagined along the way.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Vic, why the fuck do you care so much about whether everyone else likes the game or not? I am enjoying the game, but there is a lot to not like about it.
I agree, and I actually don't care if they like it or not, because SF is a type of genre that does only appeal to a specific type of player. I think a lot of people are playing it out of cope tbh because it's Bethesda. People who didn't like the game, because I do, kept posting fake news on here and overblown memes which were not correct so I felt like I had to defend it.

If you check the steam forum it's a shitstorm. Now less than 250k players are playing, which is less than yesterday before release.

Bethesda made a good game but they fucked up royally with the way they handled:

- Not revealing enough info so people can get the right expectation
- Dropping the player off in a huge city without any appealing story hook to give them a motivation to follow up on the main quest
- lack of explanation/hand holding which makes it really hard to understand how they actually meant for the game to be played.

It's definitely gonna be a cult classic but it can forget its mass appeal.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
First: you and your other personalities are not "everybody".

Second: what you are saying essentially is: " play it until you like it" which is basically asking the person to brainwash themselves into liking something they don't.
Third: Your mom
Couldn't expect more from a low IQ with dunning Kruger.

Weren't you supposed to leave the thread?

Seems like I hit a nerve.
sorry but I felt like your low-effort post didn't warrant a serious response.

Vyvian

Educated
I wouldn't put too much stock in the player numbers right now.
It's a massive download, decrypting preloads on Steam is a pain in the ass and I doubt most people preordered.

Lemming42

Arcane
The game is not for the mass that is for sure. Bethesda this time delivered a Niche title they did wrong to advertize it for everyone that is for certain.
I think it does have mass appeal, it's just tougher to get into than Bethesda's previous titles and there's more to get to grips with and learn before you start really enjoying it. When you get a handle on how to play and what the mechanics are, it doesn't play too dissimilarly from Skyrim.

I'm predicting that response from gamers will be mixed at first, but it won't be long before the "Starfield is better than you think" type videos start coming out. I think the narrative will start to emerge that it's the best thing Bethesda have done in years and beats Oblivion and Skyrim, and because most people just seem to go along with received wisdom, that'll be the game's legacy.

I also think it'll depend on what other games come out in the near future. If a competitor (eg another Cyberpunk) comes out and is well-received, that won't play well for Starfield. But if no other big open world RPGs of this type are released in the near future, people will keep coming back to Starfield, enjoying it more and more each time, as many did with Skyrim over the course of the 2010s.

It's also a game that's clearly going to really benefit from multiple playthroughs, unlike some previous Bethesda games. I'm already looking forward to a second playthrough, and I think it'll only get more and more enjoyable when you know exactly what you're doing and how to play with the game's systems.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I found a random smuggler (the one whos ship I couldn't steal) and lied about being his contact and he gave me a bunch of loot. Now five level 12 eclipse ships pop in about 50% of the time and try to kill me for it, and it's an unwinnable fight for me. Very annoying but you can avoid them by just skipping orbital scenes via fast travel.

Lemming42

Arcane
I'm predicting that response from gamers will be mixed at first
sdfdsfsf.png
Point taken (and I'm happy to see that), but you know what I mean. Forum and social media discussions will likely be full of people complaining about the game for the first few weeks, but then people will start to increasingly voice their enjoyment and appreciation of the game. Sort of like what's already happened with those of us who got the game early. Both in this thread, elsewhere on the internet, and with my real life friends, people seem to have a similar journey of:

"this game sucks -> this game isn't bad -> this game has some good points -> this game has some very good points -> this might be among the best games Todd's ever made".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom