Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter StarCrawlers - indie sci-fi dungeon crawling RPG

Fishy

Savant
Just finished this after 40h. Don't think I'll spend much more time on it but I enjoyed the ride. There was just enough main story and side fluff to keep me engaged even though it certainly is on the repetitive end. But the short mission maps totally worked for me, with changes of scenery between ships, office blocks and mines, and some nice fake verticality (plain 2d map, but some sections going up/down that add something, visually). And the handcrafted main mission have obviously more interesting layout. I also liked that the tiny character background at the starts pops up here and there in dialogue options and corp relationship. That was a nice enough touch that it influenced some of my choices later.

On the downsides, well, they're already well mentioned by posters above. A good bit of repetition with few enemy types per level, loot that is too plentiful and annoying to figure out (although the red/green comparisons are a godsend), freelook as a constant annoyance if you don't want to miss out on tons of stuff, and rather bland matrix sections (optional, but one of the handy ways of locating the objective).

Party was Soldier, Hacker, Void Psyker and Force Psyker. Soldier tank/DPS, Hacker CC/buff/dot, Void Psyker nuking stuff left and right, and Force Psyker supporting the soldier for tanking, keeping everyone shielded, and perma cc'ing the big baddies with the Prison skill. The game takes a while to get in place, but it's great when you're leveled up enough to get your party operating with a full complement of skills.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://steamcommunity.com/games/318970/announcements/detail/2226411153664106411
StarCrawlers 1.1.4 - Big Beautify Update
Beautified with enhanced graphics and lighting effects.
StarCrawlers has been updated with a Beautify feature! This optional feature enhances texture fidelity and sharpness, lighting appearance and effects, and enhances visuals overall. In the course of working on our next project (more news soon!) we experimented with retroactively applying the visual upgrades to StarCrawlers - and it worked
steamhappy

The Beautify feature should not have any noticeable impact on the performance or resource usage of the base game. Beautify is enabled by default and can be turned off in the Graphics menu if desired.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
-90% off on Steam

I guess for 2 jewroes it's not a too bad of a deal?

edit: Oh it had the the same discount just back in march already. Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fishy

Savant
Yeah, at that price it's a pretty safe pick. And well, buying directly from Steam, you have 2h gametime to decide if you want a refund, so there's even less risk. But honestly, it's a decent effort for sci-fi dungeon crawling. It has its flaws, but it's fun to explore for at least one playthrough.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I think I paid something like 16 euros for it and I'm happy with the purchase, so it's a steal at $2.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I finished it not too long ago, had some fun. I supported UFP (major groups of corporations) to the end, does anyone know how much the story missions (and the story itself) change depending on your choices?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom