Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It made perfect sense (and I don't even like Cassidy).

aris

Arcane
It makes sense to you because you are a tool with a grudge, which is seen quite readily from the fact that you brofist virtually anything that can be seen as negative talk about me. But in the real world, it doesn't make sense. First of all, why on earth would he ask a complete stranger, one that he probably didn't even know exist, for his password. And even more baffling, why on earth would I give it to him?

He made as well have posted: "Why didn't you send a letter to the president of Kongo writing that? Asking him for free blowjobs and hookers", and it would have made as much sense. As a matter of fact, it would have made more sense.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
And not that it matters, but I've been a long time poster/lurker here (since 2008). I lost my original account after the site went down and upgraded to this new interface. In message board years, I would be your ancestor.
Long time poster? Name of original account plz. All I can find with an IP trace is idriveabucket who registered Feb 12, 2012 - made all of an impressive 8 posts... and has a StarCraft avatar.

aris

Arcane
So nobody can take me on point for point. Can only post lame gifs, and try to diminish my credibility with name calling.

I thought this place was above that kind of BS.
Dude, that's the main way of discussing on this forum. For more monocled arguments when you've been here for a while, you can try to simply refer to the join date, or even more advanced: Argue against a position by using completely irrelevant information.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dude, that's the main way of discussing on this forum. For more monocled arguments when you've been here for a while, you can try to simply refer to the join date, or even more advanced: Argue against a position by using completely irrelevant information.
Could you help me with a little experiment? I'D like you to intentionally mess up your spelling and post more about dwarves.

Thanks.

There is one reason for buying Hots: It's the only hardcore multiplayer RTS on the market. Of course codexers in general don't really care about hardcore RTSes, as evidenced by the strategy forum thread where everyone is bitching about the story (l0l).

The additions to Hots over WoL are.... Kinda lacklustre, i spose. Most matches are more active however, less twobase-until-maxed out strats and stuff. However the new units are not the best. Terran gets to use theirs quite often, though you rarely see zergs use theirs in spite of some attempts. The viper is too slow, same with the mushroomhead. Toss got the oracle and the tempest - oracle is sometimes used in early rushes and harass, rarely outside of that. The tempest I've never seen used successfully. Mostly because the new void ray is better in most cases, also vs the broodlords that they were supposed to counter.

The campaign has derp story but good gameplay (though if you discover that the campaign version of neural parasite lasts forever you'll have it quite easy). The mission design doesn't feel like playing an extended series of skirmishes like most campaigns do. That said if you play online RTSes for their story you've kinda missed the point.

All in all you should get it if you like hardcore online RTSes, though probably not if you don't.

pan

Learned
There is one reason for buying Hots: It's the only hardcore multiplayer RTS on the market. Of course codexers in general don't really care about hardcore RTSes, as evidenced by the strategy forum thread where everyone is bitching about the story (l0l).

The additions to Hots over WoL are.... Kinda lacklustre, i spose. Most matches are more active however, less twobase-until-maxed out strats and stuff. However the new units are not the best. Terran gets to use theirs quite often, though you rarely see zergs use theirs in spite of some attempts. The viper is too slow, same with the mushroomhead. Toss got the oracle and the tempest - oracle is sometimes used in early rushes and harass, rarely outside of that. The tempest I've never seen used successfully. Mostly because the new void ray is better in most cases, also vs the broodlords that they were supposed to counter.

The campaign has derp story but good gameplay (though if you discover that the campaign version of neural parasite lasts forever you'll have it quite easy). The mission design doesn't feel like playing an extended series of skirmishes like most campaigns do. That said if you play online RTSes for their story you've kinda missed the point.

All in all you should get it if you like hardcore online RTSes, though probably not if you don't.

You are completely correct about the codex being a joke when it comes to non-casual talk about RTS. It's hilarious having people spend 10 pages discussing the campaign condescend to lecture me on various points of strategific tac-tics and what have you.

On the new units, the only ones that appear to add to the game are the widow mine and viper. Oracle, tempest, mushroom thing -- what the fuck are those things there for, asides padding. Tempest and oracle are generic and unnecessary, while the mushroom is... well it's a novel concept, but it doesn't bring balance to any outstanding issues and in fact it appears to be the red-headed bastard of the Zerg swarm, as watching replays I've yet to see it prove useful.

The unit changes appear to have made Protoss air super viable, which is a bad thing because air units are for the most part gay. What's gayer is that their counters are supposedly OTHER air units -- viking and corrupter. Yeah in Brood War you were supposed to counter carriers with goliaths which were ground based and thus cheaper but less mobile, BUT FUCK THAT, now the goliaths can fly and thus are basically the same as carriers (expensive and mobile). In before some dungeon nerd decides to lecture me on how carriers are never used and marines are the ideal counter- blah blah, yeah I know all that shit, it's the concept of vikings and corruptors that I find stupid.

Campaign is of course another wonderful gift from consumerism to humanity. It was really a bad thing that in the olden days the masses were too poor to afford things. Our society is better now that they can afford things and there is a market catering them-

r5W3HL8.jpg

Oh....

In conclusion: this expansion should be a $5 DLC, even then I wouldn't buy it.

logicliker

Novice
And not that it matters, but I've been a long time poster/lurker here (since 2008). I lost my original account after the site went down and upgraded to this new interface. In message board years, I would be your ancestor.
Long time poster? Name of original account plz. All I can find with an IP trace is idriveabucket who registered Feb 12, 2012 - made all of an impressive 8 posts... and has a StarCraft avatar.

My original account name is RolePlayer. I've recently moved in the last year, so there should be no connection with my current IP to the name. Some reason, I can't login to my original account anymore (RolePlayer), and thus the new account name.

logicliker

Novice
SC2 HoTS has revived my faith in the gaming industry.

It's a really good game. Campaign is fun, battle.net has some really cool additions, the game is very much dynamic (new maps every season, good mod support in the "arcade"), no microtransaction, no pay to win, big community, challenging online multiplayer, with cool mini games, etc etc etc. What isn't there to like?

The game feels like it was made with people passionate about game making, and that's what I'm referring to when I say the game has soul.

I understand this is an opinion that goes against the traffic so to speak, so I can simply agree to disagree and move on.

aris

Arcane

Pretty much this. And I completely agree, the story might has well not been there, but the gameplay was good and fun. It's too early to say that the new units are useless, even during the lifetime of a single patch, units that were previously thought of as useless, suddenly become very useful because you find new unexpected ways to use it. Starcraft 1 and 2 are good that way.

aris

Arcane
Could you help me with a little experiment? I'D like you to intentionally mess up your spelling and post more about dwarves trannies.

Thanks.
My spelling is already messed up enough, though not at volourn's level which I suspect you're referring to(?), and I'm working on the latter.

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I thought this place was above that kind of BS.
Only when the post itself manages to be above our fists.
:martini:

Why don't you make a post that makes sense?
Sorry, we forgot that sharing your password would be a breach of your contract.

Individual shill accounts must seem independent.

Hey now don't compare my man Gaudaost to a shill like logicliker, Gaudaost puts out for free.

EventHorizon

Novice
OP people here hate everything and anything that they are interested in. Totally make sense!

Johannes

Arcane

Nah that's bullshit. It might be on the market and "hardcore" by some definition (what is a non-hardcore RTS though, LoL or something?) but it's still a pretty badly designed RTS.

If you want to be an RTS progamer, yeah SC2 is your best bet. But if you care about just playing, why not play a superior game instead? Like say AoE2, SCBW, there's a ton of games with respectable opponents constantly available that are much much better than this turd.

Nah that's bullshit. It might be on the market and "hardcore" by some definition (what is a non-hardcore RTS though, LoL or something?) but it's still a pretty badly designed RTS.

If you want to be an RTS progamer, yeah SC2 is your best bet. But if you care about just playing, why not play a superior game instead? Like say AoE2, SCBW, there's a ton of games with respectable opponents constantly available that are much much better than this turd.
How is it a "turd" exactly?

In any case those games are more than ten years old, most people who enjoyed playing them have tired of it long ago.

odrzut

Arcane
Vipers are often used on high level, they are great versus protoss deathball, better than corruptors - they can get colossi close to your units, and cast blinding cloud on your stalers and you're dead. Swarmhosts are used, too, often to contain toss on 2 bases. I've seen Naniwa lost to some noname that massed swarmhosts recently. So I don't think new units aren't used. Oracle is great (a little imba, too - see proxy oracle at 05:10 versus terran - it's deadly if not scouted), tempest is nice "surgical" unit - if you have 4 of them you can kill enemy collosi or broodlords easily. I'm least familiar with terran units, but mines are used very much FWIS.

I haven't played WoL, started with Hots and I enjoy multiplayer very much. Campaign is so-so, but that's not the reason to buy this game anyway.

Why is HotS bad RTS? I think it's quite balanced, multiplayer is fun and challanging. Only problem with multi right now is ZvZ turning into who has critical mass of mutas faster.

Deleted member 7219

Completed HotS a few days ago, on hard difficulty.

Every mission was different and forced you to actually get out there and do stuff - turtling up was never really an option.

Level of polish was high. Didn't encounter any bugs, pathfinding was mostly fine. Unit AI was very good, didn't really see my guys do anything stupid.

Story was a little derpy, but still better than most RTS. Typical Chris Metzen genre fare.

Johannes

Arcane

How is it a "turd" exactly?

In any case those games are more than ten years old, most people who enjoyed playing them have tired of it long ago.
Well I can't really analyze too much on its faults since I have not extensively played the game, just tried for an evening or two. But when I look at changes from SCBW -> SC2, it's just decline almost all the way... The new units are much less interesting than the removed ones (lurkers, mines, ), then you add a bunch of pointless gimmicks on top. It's an inferior product but hey at least you can select multiple buildings at once.
When I look at SC2 battles they just are not exciting at all... Big clumps of air units just clashing at each other and hoping to have superior numbers is really the worst offender - compare to how in SCBW even if you had air vs air, it was complex engagements, sairs, mutas, wraiths - scourges... Here you just a-move and that's that.
And on the ground too the clumpy pathing makes most battles be underwhelming, together with how fast stuff tends to die. Also the maps feel a lot smaller, you don't have big armies moving across the battlefield you have tight balls confronting each other in a corridor usually.
Maybe I'm wrong in some of my initial impressions, maybe some detail even got improved with HoTS, doesn't matter for the overall verdict though. Not a game worth playing.

And you think most people playing SC2 today have actually ever tried those classics? Even if someone is all burned out on those 2 games by now, that should be no reason to reach for bottom of the barrel RTS's like SC2, there's a ton of good games out there.

Well I can't really analyze too much on its faults since I have not extensively played the game, just tried for an evening or two.

:hmmm:

When I look at SC2 battles they just are not exciting at all... Big clumps of air units just clashing at each other and hoping to have superior numbers is really the worst offender -

The only matchup that features extensive air vs air is ZvZ and that is only a couple months old. You have hardly seen the game, much less know it, and already proclaim it the "bottom of the barrel". Try to get those KKKredits somewhere else.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Completed HotS a few days ago, on hard difficulty.

Every mission was different and forced you to actually get out there and do stuff - turtling up was never really an option.

Level of polish was high. Didn't encounter any bugs, pathfinding was mostly fine. Unit AI was very good, didn't really see my guys do anything stupid.

Story was a little derpy, but still better than most RTS. Typical Chris Metzen genre fare.

It's a fun action RTS and I had blast with it but for me the story was more than a little derpy.
After D3 and HotS I'm certain Metzen finally snapped. He still looks cool but inside it must be all pink horses running around with pants on their heads.
Starcraft 1 was a promising start to a fun (if a bit derivative) space opera IP. Now it's beyond redemption.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom