Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

starcraft 2 beta motherfuckers

MetalCraze

Arcane
The AI is still pretty retarded
It built a mass of zerglings and some other shit and together with workers was just running at my base, then as soon as it was coming into range of turrets or any attacking unit AI was running away.
When I've built some offence the AI was keep doing the same, losing units one by one and ultimately led me to its base. Well I thought OK and decided to take my time exploring what's new protoss had
Before I've built my first stargate the bitch immediately rushed me with hydralisks and shit and ruined my party.
For fuck's sake

1eyedking

Erudite
Bad art direction is bad.

"SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS" is now bland and gay.
"MY LIFE FOR AIUR" is now bland and gay.
"YOU REQUIRE MORE VESPENE GAS" is now bland and gay.
"YOU MUST CONSTRUCT ADDITIONAL PYLONS" is now bland and gay.

Actually, everything is bland and gay. From unit design, voices, and variety, to music, HUD, and graphics. There's not a thing that isn't generic. It feels like a goddamn Warcraft III mod.

What can I say...this just isn't StarCraft for me.

Monocause

Arcane
They probably will redo the worse VAs when proper feedback comes.

Played on some maps more and my opinion of the game is good.
Someone said that it's just SC1 in 3D, not true. New units, unit abilities and building abilities provide more depth and give some really interesting opportunities that I think will be a blast both in SP and MP.

Seems to me that they've decided to put major innovation in the SP campaign (doubtless really from everything we know about the SP) but keep the core MP gameplay exactly the same, expanding some concepts while refraining from introducing too many new ones. A sound decision considering that they surely expect SC2 to take over the SC1 part as an online sport.

TheCowburner

Educated
Monocause said:
They probably will redo the worse VAs when proper feedback comes.

Played on some maps more and my opinion of the game is good.
Someone said that it's just SC1 in 3D, not true. New units, unit abilities and building abilities provide more depth and give some really interesting opportunities that I think will be a blast both in SP and MP.

Seems to me that they've decided to put major innovation in the SP campaign (doubtless really from everything we know about the SP) but keep the core MP gameplay exactly the same, expanding some concepts while refraining from introducing too many new ones. A sound decision considering that they surely expect SC2 to take over the SC1 part as an online sport.
So SC2 is: SC1 in 3d with new units, unit abilities and building abilities, and with the exact same (core) MP gameplay. How dared he call SC2 SC1 in 3d? They sound so different

Monocause

Arcane
TheCowburner said:
So SC2 is: SC1 in 3d with new units, unit abilities and building abilities, and with the exact same (core) MP gameplay. How dared he call SC2 SC1 in 3d? They sound so different

I meant that such a statement downplays the changes made from SC1 to SC2, which are there. From what I've seen each race has more viable tactics to pick. Changes such as the fact that the Terran Medic was combined with the dropship into the medivac or the protoss warp gate upgrade makes SC1 tactics/development plans in need of a thorough rethinking. So yeah, core gameplay remains the same, it's still an RTS and it's still Starcraft but Blizzard did refresh the MP well and it's unfair to say otherwise.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Of course the game looks ugly. It's in 3D now. I wish they would of made an ultra high detailed 2D game with large numbers of frames of animation. That would have looked much better.

The game itself, looks like it has potential. Starcraft really just needed a refresh. I'm enjoying figuring out all the new strategies. Starcraft 2 will probably take over as the official tournament game. It just needs polish.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It also needs half of the new units to be completely scraped and redesigned and it also needs a complete overhaul of every single sound effect in the game.

Monocause

Arcane
Hey Im h3xxt0r from the h3xx hacker group. We're close to unlocking the FULL SINGEPLAYER CAMPAIGN but we need beta keys to download missing data from blizzard (beta keys contain allgorithm that can be used to generate blizz paswords). Help us by lending us some beta keys(need only two more) and well all soon enjoy this great game were all waiting for.

{***---...H3XX...---***}
we pwn the web
help the hacker scene

Dark Matter

Prophet
All the new units are pretty lame/boring compared to the units they're meant to replace.

Goliath > Thor
Defiler > Infestor
Corsair > Phoenix
Reaver > Collosus
Vulture > Hellion
Arbiter > Mothership
And so on.

Monocause

Arcane
And why, exactly, do you think the Thor is a replacement for the Goliath? Or the Mothership for the arbiter? It's pretty obvious that they play a completely different role. From what I've seen it seems that the Goliath was merged with the Wraith to make the Viking. And I like the Viking more than the Goliath, the only thing I miss is the VA. The viking has more tactical versatility.

I consider Infestor to be more interesting than the Defiler.
I never found much use for plague since people didn't usually mass their armies unless they were already on the move to your base. Placing a couple of defilers in strategic positions and plaguing the armies while en route would be good, but enemies would usually detect your burrowed defilers. Using plague mid-battle was useful to tip the scales in your favour but you still needed a couple of defilers for it to work and you usually were busy microing something else, like the queens or retreating your wounded units. The dark swarm was useful to cover your hydras, but the terran players usually had siege tanks for defence and the protoss had zealots. I've always thought the queen to be the superior unit in terms of tactical microing. All three of the queen's abilities very useful, spawn broodling being my favourite. Getting a couple of queens relatively early in the game (ie. before the enemy built more bases) meant that you could cripple the economy of your terran enemy if he wasn't careful; and if you got your SCVs destroyed relatively early in the game it took long enough to rebuild them (not to mention the lost income that you'd use for expansion, upgrades and units) that you could write "gg" and resign.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I'm the only one who gets horribly lagged at max zoom but plays fine at the rest?

Monocause said:
And why, exactly, do you think the Thor is a replacement for the Goliath? Or the Mothership for the arbiter? It's pretty obvious that they play a completely different role. From what I've seen it seems that the Goliath was merged with the Wraith to make the Viking. And I like the Viking more than the Goliath, the only thing I miss is the VA. The viking has more tactical versatility.

Thor is kind of just another big mech like the thor, about 3x as expensive, 3x as powerful, 3x as big, and ugly. I don't really like it.

Mothership is about a 3x arbiter that again costs 3x as much. Cloaks everything like the arbiter. Vortex is pretty much a stasis that continually effects everything in the area instead of being cast once.

That said, you have to have some kind of similarity in units since you need the same basic parts of each race to be balanced, and as a sequel they want to keep the race with similar dynamics.

Also, Brood Lord totally rapes the old guardian.

Monocause

Arcane
Sup guise.

Congratulations! You’ve been selected to participate in the beta test of StarCraft® II: Wings of Liberty™.

Suck it up! I've got a beta key and will enjoy playing MP while you drool and consider murdering me.

MapMan

Arcane
Berekän said:
I'm the only one who gets horribly lagged at max zoom but plays fine at the rest?

No. For some reason there is a huge FPS drop when you zoom in. Im not exactly sure why.

Monocause

Arcane
MapMan said:
Berekän said:

No. For some reason there is a huge FPS drop when you zoom in. Im not exactly sure why.

Because the game loads the more detailed textures?

Monocause

Arcane
Got my ass handed to me in a 'toss 1v1. Forgot what it means to play an RTS with a human and made quite a few noobish errors :D Gotta practice more vs the AI before I try it again.

The SC vibe is definitely in the gameplay. Music and VAs are seriously lacking though and detracting from the suspense rather than adding to it, I'll be sure to underline it three times in my feedback.

Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Monocause said:
Gotta practice more vs the AI before I try it again.
Practice against the very easy AI? I say play custom games against humans instead and watch the replay to learn how you can play better.

You can poke me in-game if you want a game or two, devastator.devilspawn is my handle (I've already e-stalked you).

MapMan

Arcane
Monocause said:
MapMan said:
Berekän said:

Because the game loads the more detailed textures?

No. I think there is no LOD in sc2. You can launch the game without loading any textures and the FPS drop is the same. At first I thought it might be the engine rendering more than we can actually see but thats not the case. For example on lost temple map, If I zoom in on the east side of the map, my fps drops from 60 (capped) to 30. On the south side, to 50, and on the west and north side doesnt drop at all. :?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Overweight Manatee said:
Monocause said:

Thor is kind of just another big mech like the thor, about 3x as expensive, 3x as powerful, 3x as big, and ugly. I don't really like it.

Mothership is about a 3x arbiter that again costs 3x as much. Cloaks everything like the arbiter. Vortex is pretty much a stasis that continually effects everything in the area instead of being cast once.

That said, you have to have some kind of similarity in units since you need the same basic parts of each race to be balanced, and as a sequel they want to keep the race with similar dynamics.

Also, Brood Lord totally rapes the old guardian.

In the next patch, it says something about the Mothership being changed and renamed to Grand Arbiter or something, I think. That would support it.

But please, people with betas, is it good? Is it as good or better than SC1?

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'm in, add Hoaxmetal.faux to your friend list. Getting raped constantly, having fun anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom