Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Most important thing: Inquistors can now romance Khem Val. He got me when he talked about wanting to eat me or smth. Couldn't stop laughing. Not retroactivly of course, you just get a cutscene that's probably only worth some off commentary in future content.
Same is true for Nadia, Jaesa and Laura Bailey Kira, who apparently used those years watching all those girl/girl movies I gave them "as part of their training", because they are totally into girls too now. After 8 years. Yeah...

Ossus is just the prelude to come back to the good old cold-ish war between imps and reps. That's what everyone signed up for anyway. Ossus introduces 2 new characters: the black stronk womyn for reps and the yellow twilek trooper for imps. I love that twilek. Broad working class-ish british accent bro. Also Malgus returns as big bad. Again.
I like the fact that the empire is about to change more into what my LS warrior/quis where aiming for: less needless infighting between Sith and using the untapped resource of aliens into the ranks. Gives you a little sense of accomplishment.

Ossus ends with cold war getting very warm again.

Bioware then branches the whole thing into 2 routes (Imp or Rep) and a subroute each (Loyalist or Saboteur), loy/sab is set when Lana asks you if you want to ally with your old faction or your former enemy (before Ossus). An Imp chosing empire gets the "imperial loyalist" route, chosing the republic makes you a "saboteur". You still play the imperial story, but you get the occasional "sabotage their efforts and kill all important personal". To avoid confusions: you will always play your original faction's content, there's no real side switching. Actually pretty well done.
Lana now freaks the shit out of me, after she just casually beheaded people middialog when i only HINTED they kinda sorta might have failed me. And then continued as if nothing happened. :|

Story there is: reps have a magic shipyard on Corellia, both fleets try to arrive there quickly. But the reps have to refuel at two planets, so the imps try to blow them up there, while the reps try to prevent that. Then endfight on Corellia with the war being hot now.

Inquisitor is my favorite there, you simply know all the important characters and gets some funny extra lines.
Also if you play an inquisitor you reaaaaaalllly should be an imp loyalist:
Quisers get an extra dialog option in the beginning when you approach the empress: bow, don't bow and tell the Sith having your job now: "Yo dude, you're in my chair! Next time i come here ima kill you!". And if you picked that line and only if you do so, at the end of the game, the Inqui turns around and goes "remember what I told you?" <slaps the darth half across the room with lightning while everyone sneaks out, not to draw your anger>. Empress: "Welcome back Darth Codexia Nox!" <closeup of your smug face>
I admit, I had a little tear in my eye at that point.

If Bioware can keep up that level of writing I'll probably dump the occasional sub into it. They will probably do it episode style again, so once per year will be enough. :obviously:

Vatnik Wumao
I'm on Darth Malgus as well, lad. If you want to play together and what not, I'd be happy to oblige. :)

Atm I haven't gone with any character through the expansions though, so yeah.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Awww don't get your hopes up, I have always been treating this game as an online single player. I think I was grouped a whooping 2 times in all those years, and one of those times it was even an accident. Without story mode, I wouldn't even know what the flashpoints are about (since they are pretty much mandatory for the storyline).

Turns out I am even in an "official" 'dex guild too. Pretty deserted, so it's more for the <Shepards of Diversity> tag. Don't think I could invite you tho, since only subscribers can be guildmasters. The way SWTOR works, the next time one of that guild who has subbed logs in, he automacally becomes the big head honcho, with full reign over our... empty flagship.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'll just turn this quest in and log off…
…I need to go do the next quest in the chain to see what happens next
:shredder:

The Imperial Agent story is pretty good so far. Lots of politicking, a few unexpected turns, and the ability to play as a pretty morally gray spy.

Codex Year of the Donut
One of my bigger criticisms is all companions being (nearly) identical. Apparently this is a change they intentionally made? Really dumb. There's zero reason to use anything other than a ranged companion(preferably with two blasters)
The droids you even get with your ship still reference the old system when they say they weren't designed for combat, yet they're just as good as any other companion.
There's nothing interesting about getting a new companion because they have nothing new to offer. There's no thought needed in which companion to use, just switch your active one to the role you need.
Very, very boring. Sawyerism.

Vatnik Wumao
Eh, for the endgame multiplayer content you won't use them anyhow, so they've reduced them to an aesthetic and fluff choice for your character.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Be happy about that. Originally each companion had one role: melee tank, melee dps, ranged tank, ranged dps, healer. Most classes NEEDED the healer, but they came in different order. Booty hunter got healer as first companion, Jedi Knight pretty late. Have fun making a DPS knight in the old days where the game was hard. :argh:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
And be double thankful for not having to gear your companions anymore. Still have nightmares (like everyone who ever played the Jedi Knight in the old days), when the game suddently forced you to use your not R2D2 in the endfight. Who nobody used and therefore hadn't geared.

It was pretty much: "Hey player, we got you a TANK to help you!" then hand you a piece of paper they drew a tank with a sharpie on. :argh:

Vatnik Wumao
iu

Codex Year of the Donut
MMO devs seem very obsessed with making their game as easy as possible. IMO this is a really bad idea and actually turns casuals away. When casuals have little to work towards, they lose interest. Counterintuitively, casuals likely prefer a more difficult game that requires more effort put in. They log in and have a very grand goal they slowly move towards, this keeps them more hooked than handing them things on a platter.
As support for my argument: Has any MMO actually seen an increase in popularity after casualization?

Vatnik Wumao
Well, in the case of SWTOR, I think that most people found the MMO aspects of it quite lacking in the first place and continued playing only for the story, so the devs decided to cater to that by casualization instead of fixing the system.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Well, in the case of SWTOR, I think that most people found the MMO aspects of it quite lacking in the first place and continued playing only for the story, so the devs decided to cater to that by casualization instead of fixing the system.

It is not entirelly like that, even though you are also highly correct. There was precious little typical MMO endgame content at the game's launch, as the devs were fabulously optimistic in regards to the time needed to reach level 50. Which obviously translated to a plummeting playerbase. Later they did introduce a solid dose of endgame raiding content, but it was already too late. Later still, they indeed focused on the story... by removing faction and class divides, turning every player character into a generic Commander of the Alliance. An unorthodox way of "focusing on the story" if you ask me.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Just like lot of companies fucked up by trying to emulate WoW at launch, they also fucked up by trying to emulate WoW's attempts with holding on to subscribers. Casualisation, as you said, actually is counter-productive. The less interaction with other players your game requires, the less likely are they to get invested in the game and if there is no challenge, they get bored quickly. It's amazing how literally every big MMO has repeated these same mistakes from WoW to TERA to Tortanic to WAR to AoC to ESO and so on and so forth.

Because of this thread, I decided to check up on my old account. Looks like I've finished the Sith Sorcerer storyline but that's it. I guess I'll see if I can do the Sith Marauder storyline. One nice thing - they keep your keybindings and GUI config safely stored serverside because I am 100% sure I deleted fucking everything TOR related years ago and CCLeanered registry, yet it was all set up the way I remember setting it up back then.

Codex Year of the Donut
Oh I' on Darth Malgus as well. Interesting that there are 3 EU but only 2 NA servers left. ALBIVO is my Sith Marauder.
Games usually have two NA server locations for ping reasons(east coast, west coast) and multiple EU servers for language/regional reasons. Not sure if that's the case here, but might explain it.

Codex Year of the Donut
I really dislike all of the imperial agent companions so far.
Kaliya is worthless storywise, she's too unpredictable(and I hate her personality.) The idea that an intelligence agency would even want her is ridiculous.
I'd never have let Vector on my ship for obvious reasons. Not a chance.
Ditto with Lokin.

All three of them are massive risks when the entire point of being an agent is minimizing risks. The only companion that I'd actually trust is my damn ship's butler droid. And on second thought, that droid was provided by the agency itself so yeah…

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Oh I' on Darth Malgus as well. Interesting that there are 3 EU but only 2 NA servers left. ALBIVO is my Sith Marauder.
Games usually have two NA server locations for ping reasons(east coast, west coast) and multiple EU servers for language/regional reasons. Not sure if that's the case here, but might explain it.

Yes, this is the case. The EU has an English server, a German server and a French server.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I really dislike all of the imperial agent companions so far.
Kaliya is worthless storywise, she's too unpredictable(and I hate her personality.) The idea that an intelligence agency would even want her is ridiculous.
Kaliyo gets a lot of hate, but I think that was the point of her character. She is supposed to be such an uncontrolable loose cannon, as a counterpart to the orderly agent. Most players made the mistake of thinking "If the companion disapproves I am playing it wrong", then complained that Kaliyo would force players to be evil massmurderers making no sense. No, you do not need her approval. Kaliyo is easily impressed by shiny presents anyway. :hahano:
Just wait till you play her quests. Each of them pretty much ends with you saying "Kaliyo! WTF were you thinking?".

But that's why I like her. She's not written as a loveable waifu. But she is just using you. You are just her ride and a fancy connection, she can use to make money. She's gone the moment something better comes along. Or is she?

If you want the full weirdness package, roll a female agent and romance Vector AKA Bugboy. I dare you. :obviously:

FYI: keep the outfits you get as quest rewards if you like the look. They are often skin/color combinations you cannot reproduce anymore. Thanks to level scaling you can't come back to a planet and just kill mobs until they drop a low level item anymore. My agent is still weaing the Hammerpants Hammer station outfit, which you also cannot get anymore. Please buy cartel outfits, love, Bioware. :argh:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom