Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars Outlaws - coming August 30th

moleman

Arbiter
Patron
Funny, I remember game journos complaining over the lack of a female protagonist in the Assassin's Creed games. Now, when gamers complain over the lack of a male protagonist, it's toxic.

Convenient.

Dodo1610

Arcane
The overlaps between people who want to buy a Star Wars Ubisoft Open World Action Adventure and people who are offended by a Latina protagonist can not be particularly large.
I wonder if this game was inspired by Cyberpunk. Both games are about young criminals who want to become part of the criminal underworld, though unlike Cyberpunk this game even has a faction system. Plus the cute animal compaions seems to work like the spider drone they cut from the final game.

The overlaps between people who want to buy a Star Wars Ubisoft Open World Action Adventure and people who are offended by a Latina protagonist can not be particularly large.
I wonder if this game was inspired by Cyberpunk. Both games are about young criminals who want to become part of the criminal underworld, though unlike Cyberpunk this game even has a faction system. Plus the cute animal compaions seems to work like the spider drone they cut from the final game.

I’m going to guess that just like Cyberpunk 2077, this game is also influenced by Metal Gear Solid 4 and 5. Cute little alien animal companion functionally reminds me of cute little Metal Gear Mk. II robot in MGS4.

Maybe also influenced by either GTA2, the Mercenaries series, or Crackdown (from the GTA creator) since its doing faction system stuff.

Star Wars is dead. It has been dead since the Prequels.

The prequel time is when all the best Star Wars games that aren’t Star Wars Arcade or part of the X-Wing series came out...and the last X-Wing game came out during the prequel time. Genndy Tartakovsky‘s Star Wars: Clone Wars is also some of the best Star Wars stuff, it’s up there with the first two Star Wars movies.

The Star Wars prequel movies sucked. But there were at least good Star Wars games at that time. I can’t be too mad at the prequels anyways, I’m not sure Starship Troopers and The Fifth Element happen if Episode 1 hadn’t been announced in the early’90s; and I’m not sure Red Letter Media becomes what it is without them.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any game that has a female protagonist is going to make me cringe hard. If you're going to have a female protagonist, why don't we ever go the Lara Croft route? She barely spoke, was very hot, and she had a reserved but striking allure about her. Contrast that with some of the more recent protagonists that we've seen? Forspoken, Control, and now this game stand are perfect examples of how to write an obnoxious female protagonist that no one is going to like outside of the coomers that want to fuck them. They're constantly running their mouth like it's a marvel movie, and their defining characteristic is "Omg im so quirky". Zoomers aren't writing these characters, so why the fuck are all of these characters written as if they are one?

Much like a dignified, reserved, masculine male protagonist has become a thing of the past, the same sort of thing has happened to female protagonists and the archetypes that once embodied them. Its because these types of people are disappearing. Most of these writers wouldn't know how to write such a character if they even wanted to.

Also, did anyone else notice how the trailer for not only this game, but many of the other games featured in the XBOX showcase, all looked like movie trailers instead of video game trailers? I know "cinematic games" is the new cancer that is extremely popular in the industry, but holy shit, even the marketing of these games is akin to a movie commercial. I have to go and watch a separate gameplay video to see what the fuck your game is even about? What's the point of the trailer then?

Star Wars had and still has a ton of potential. Too bad it will never be realized.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Isn't the lead writer on this the same woman(?) creature that wrote Watchdogs Legion?

From her website.
1686821629837.png

:prosper:

ArchAngel

Arcane

ropetight

Savant
Isn't the lead writer on this the same woman(?) creature that wrote Watchdogs Legion?

From her website.
View attachment 37423

:prosper:

Games are just going to get worse and worse now as most people working on them are young retards that grew up on "modern values". It seems even in 20-30 years when I am old I will be playing same games I played when I was young LOL

More and more they get further from what games used to be, less and less I find their products interesting in any way.
Soon we will be like old guys that listened only to Sinatra, fuck those Beatles and their fagotty shit!

dsndo

Educated

From her bio:

"I’m a comedy writer at my core, and love working with actors, collaborating and producing excellent work in fast-paced, creative environments. I am passionate about diverse storytelling - amplifying and offering new perspectives, and empowering other story tellers around me."

This game will be written with the Bechdel test in mind first and foremost.

ropetight

Savant

From her bio:

"I’m a comedy writer at my core, and love working with actors, collaborating and producing excellent work in fast-paced, creative environments. I am passionate about diverse storytelling - amplifying and offering new perspectives, and empowering other story tellers around me."

This game will be written with the Bechdel test in mind first and foremost.

Never saw an ounce of comedy from "diverse storytellers".
It seems that it is enough to be fat to be one these days.

dsndo

Educated

That's because you can't be a "comedy writer at my core" and believe in "empowering people" at the same time. Comedy is not comedy unless it contains jokes, and a joke can only exist if it is at someone else's expense.

ropetight

Savant

That's because you can't be a "comedy writer at my core" and believe in "empowering people" at the same time. Comedy is not comedy unless it contains jokes, and a joke can only exist if it is at someone else's expense.

Imagine being fan and ripping off Farley without his energy, while spewing "facts" in style of preschool education books.
Chris Farley looked like he would burst a blood vessel all the time.

So, that girl is on SNL now, while Shane Gillis gets sacked for some tweets.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
A game like this should obviously have a Han Solo lady killer kind of protagonist but they didn't give a damn. I wish they had made a Privateer-style game in the X-Wing engine back in the day, that would've been cool. Can't make that now, though. Nothing good can come of the Star Wars IP owned by Disney.

One thing I don't get about Star Wars recently is why everyone complains about Disney killing off the EU. Isn't it a good thing that all those characters and stories are archived with no Disney garbage infesting it? Do you want Kyle Katarn to return with a gay Indian boyfriend? Or for all the married characters to go through divorces like Han Solo and Princess Leia? Nerds are so obsessed with the idea of "canon" and it's pretty sad. Canon doesn't exist in fiction.

hayst

Educated
A game like this should obviously have a Han Solo lady killer kind of protagonist but they didn't give a damn. I wish they had made a Privateer-style game in the X-Wing engine back in the day, that would've been cool. Can't make that now, though. Nothing good can come of the Star Wars IP owned by Disney.

One thing I don't get about Star Wars recently is why everyone complains about Disney killing off the EU. Isn't it a good thing that all those characters and stories are archived with no Disney garbage infesting it? Do you want Kyle Katarn to return with a gay Indian boyfriend? Or for all the married characters to go through divorces like Han Solo and Princess Leia? Nerds are so obsessed with the idea of "canon" and it's pretty sad. Canon doesn't exist in fiction.
I hate the prequels but I feel like the EU at least kept things interesting back then. I get your sentiment of it being isolated, but it just meant no one was going to continue doing shit outside Disney's control. They killed a huge ecosystem that was around for decades.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
I hate the prequels but I feel like the EU at least kept things interesting back then. I get your sentiment of it being isolated, but it just meant no one was going to continue doing shit outside Disney's control. They killed a huge ecosystem that was around for decades.
I guess an actual fan of the EU would know more about it than someone like me, who never read any of the comics or novels and has only played some of the games, but I kinda find it hard to believe that the EU had any more life in it that was lost with Disney's shifting of the canon. After all, they still make Star Wars comics, novels, TV series, etc, and from what I know, none of them are good. Wouldn't the people responsible for this new stuff just be dumping their trash in the EU if Disney had preserved it? I doubt that the low quality of newer material is entirely the fault of Disney supervision.

Funny, I remember game journos complaining over the lack of a female protagonist in the Assassin's Creed games. Now, when gamers complain over the lack of a male protagonist, it's toxic.
More generally, when women say they can only relate to a game when the protagonist looks like them it is framed as a demand for representation and empowerment, and treated with respect. When men say the same thing it is framed as toxic and dismissed with contempt.

Because equality.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Smug fugly girlboss with annoying voice acting...did they even do any audience testing?
They probably did with a bunch of Californians.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom