Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Ocean: The Divine Force Announced

Reinhardt

Arcane
Western gaems - everyone is Black and Brown BIPOC of Color. Japanese games - blue-eyed blonde man.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Yea. Japanese can appreciate proper white blue eyed blondes. You can't have dumb a brick blonde male main character without him being a blonde.

Character designs and illustrations for this game are being done by former Capcom artist Akira Yasuda, aka Akiman.

Posted a few characters on his Twitter a while back.
He designed the characters for the recently dead gacha game and the Star Ocean V, so that's not a surprise. Although still the 3D models don't really reflect that well.

Yeah, the 3D models don't quite capture his designs for the game...and the art is the better looking thing so it's a shame. The textures (along with the faces and hair) should be more along the lines of a colorful version of Resonance of Fate, that'd match the art more than what they're actually doing.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You can't have dumb a brick blonde male main character without him being a blonde.

That's pretty profound. Have you also recently determined that A = A?

:deathclaw:
Well, the problem is some TV makers and game developers are not able to grasp this fact. For example:
mMGR778.jpg

They are completely willing create a dumb as a brick male blonde that is looking like black or asian.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can't have dumb a brick blonde male main character without him being a blonde.

That's pretty profound. Have you also recently determined that A = A?

:deathclaw:
Well, the problem is some TV makers and game developers are not able to grasp this fact. For example:
mMGR778.jpg

They are completely willing create a dumb as a brick male blonde that is looking like black or asian.

... Do you know what blonde means, sir?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Obviously. A female with a yellow to white hair. When term blonde is used as a description of a male, it implies the person is silly, scatterbrained, or easily misguided (or dumb).

Silly, easily misguided, or people with head in clouds were very enjoyable characters in computer games. They often created interesting gameplay, and when plot needed to screw up the party bad, it provided reasonable excuse why they fell for an obvious ploy.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The first Star Ocean game on the SNES I liked, and every other one I disliked, and the same can be said of the Tales of games, Phantasia is the best and the rest can go kick the bucket!

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
so, will this be yet another 'Tales of' clone like the last few or will it go back to having multiple recruitable characters, different story routes, and a crap ton of endings?

koyota

Cipher
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Where does Star Ocean get its systems from?

Vast majority of JRPG lineage can somehow be traced back to Either DQ/FF Line or your Wizardry Black Onyx inspired Line, Having almost no influence from CRPG`s after Ultima/ Wizardy.

Whereas with Star Ocean, it feels like the Devs kept playing CRPGS and made the most JRPG version possible of mid 90`s CRPG systems.

Skill points system, which you can put into Art / Music / Cooking / Alchemy / Survival (Outdoorsman) / Pickpocketing (Actually steal from NPCs as a system in a JRPG) / Identify Magic Items / Scouting / Familiars (COME ON BUNNY) / Machinery (Science) etc etc

Poseidon00

Arcane
Looks like shit, will probably be even worse than Integrity and Faithlessness, let alone The Last Hope.

Star Ocean 1, 2, and 3 were all amazing. The systems are rock solid and don't need any changing beyond how they were in 2. Somehow they just keep fucking up what should be a relatively simple formula. Many such cases, I guess.

somerandomdude

Learned
I'm curious how the crafting system is going to work, is it gonna be some gacha bullshit, which is typical of games these days? I thought 3 had the best crafting system of the bunch, little bit of RNG, but it wasn't totally annoying, and you could narrow it down with the cost ranges.

Jinn

Arcane
I fail to see how this looks particularly shit, and definitely cannot see how it looks worse than Integrity and Faithlessness. Everything looks fun from what I've seen so far.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what are these? Space games with pew pew and pow wow action or just stuff like that Ys or tales of stuff in SPEHSS? Far as I can see only star ocean 4 is on Steam, is it any good?

Jinn

Arcane
Well, the reviews are coming out and it's pretty much just as I expected. Gameplay is king here, with a solid story and likeable cast to back it up. The price is a bit steep, sure, but I'd urge anyone who has enjoyed Tri-Ace's games to consider supporting them with this release. It's pretty much their swan song. They have always been an unwaveringly experimental developer, which has always saw them met with derisive reception. I appreciate them greatly for their spirit.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus I googled and see the news that they are insolvent. I mean with a lot of Star Ocean being shit after SO 3 and the fact that they don't have any big hit it makes sense but it still hurts.

I dunno, will this game be able to save them even? I was not sure to buy it or not but I guess if game is decent might as well support one of the dev responsible for a lot of PS era games i loved

Poseidon00

Arcane
The Last Hope and Integrity and Faithlessness were a slap in the face to fans of the series. Idk if I can even give them the benefit of the doubt.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have fond memories for some of their games, but the real "magic" hasn't been there for their last few releases. Reviews for SO6 are mixed. The question is if the low budget of the game means that expectations for the game aren't great in the first place.

It doesn't look good, but this discussion pops up after every Tri-Ace release.

Me? I think this will be the nail in the coffin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom