Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker - The Good, The Bad, & The Ukranian

Fez

Erudite
I hope this game is mod-friendly. It could be a fine platform for them if it is.

mister lamat

Scholar
i find myself wanting to play it in russian... ukrainian... whatever... even though i wouldn't have a clue as to what was being said. subtitles would do nicely. anyone know if the russian version comes with that option?

the headbob kinda sucks, but the shotgun violence is kinky.

User was nabbed fit

Shotgun + slugs (instead of shot) = a lot more precise at distance/awesome. Haven't got the flechette rounds yet... :o

Yeah, weight is restricting, and the nighttime is creepy, but it gives the game a nice feel... something different. It really does feel like a survival game... and of course survival isn't fun unless the odds are against you. :cool:

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I've been told that Ukrainian is a much more beautiful language than Russian. I've been told this many times. It has been insisted upon. ya kohau tebe, guys

Texas Red

Whiner
kingcomrade said:
I've been told that Ukrainian is a much more beautiful language than Russian. I've been told this many times. It has been insisted upon. ya kohau tebe, guys

Ukranian has the same pronounceations, word structure etc. as Russian. Its basically the same.

The Walkin' Dude said:
kingcomrade said:
Ukranian has the same pronounceations, word structure etc. as Russian. Its basically the same.
You are warranting that tag of yours in every fucking post you make. In Norway there is 4 million inhabitants. We all speak the same language. Still, you'll find that if you travel from one part to another, people speak entirely different. This is due to a phenomenon you might not be aware of, namely dialects. Now Ukraine has some 49 million inhabitants, and Russia some fucking hundred million. While these two countries' languages have the same origin (IE East Slavic), they have in fact, two different languages. Ukrainian and Russian isn't the same language. Now, when KC says "I've been told that Ukrainian is a much more beautiful language than Russian.", that has much to do with how that language is pronounced, how it's uttered. What you said is even more retarded than saying "Red wine has the same density, taste, etc. as white wine. It's basically the same". Is it really that hard to think a bit, before typing those posts of yours?

Texas Red

Whiner
They were not considered different languages earlier. They were thought to be dialects, Little Russian, White Russian and Great Russian. You cant distinguish the two languages if you dont speak them. They are extremely similar to one and other. If you know either Ukranian or Russian, you will understand the other and you wont spot any structrural differences in words or pronounceation. That said, you cant say that Ukranian is more beautiful than Russian because there are not enough differences.

EvoG

Erudite
Well all I know about Russian languages is...

...I still can't speed up time (+ on number key does nothing)...

...that and I think I'm getting ahead of myself in the gameworld, getting my ass handed to me quite often. Without spoiling it for me, do I get 'better' weapons than you get from the average bandit (Viper5 or Ak79[whatever its called...the green gun) from quests from the trader or hidden in the first area. I'm trying without much luck to fight the military at that research facility, and not only can those fuckers take some serious hits, they decimate me and my fellow Stalkers. My feeling is that I may have missed a couple opportunities to get better weapons and maybe even real armor outside this damned leather jacket.

All in all liking it much better once I reconciled that the sawed-off is the way to go for now, getting in close under cover and acing mofo's. The Viper and Ak79 suck my ass...I've killed dudes faster and more accurately with the silenced pistol.

ixg

Erudite
The Walkin' Dude said:
They were not considered different languages earlier. They were thought to be dialects, Little Russian, White Russian and Great Russian. You cant distinguish the two languages if you dont speak them. They are extremely similar to one and other. If you know either Ukranian or Russian, you will understand the other and you wont spot any structrural differences in words or pronounceation. That said, you cant say that Ukranian is more beautiful than Russian because there are not enough differences.

:roll:
Italians and Spaniards can understand each other. Germans and Dutch can understand each other. Yet they sound different, and people can prefer one to another. German speakers often dislike Dutch, for example.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Well, Ukrainians consider it worthy to translate books into Ukrainian, so I guess it's not really the same as Russian. Of course there's the matter of national identity etc, too.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I'm using the assault rifles i got at the agroprom facility, the stalkers drop ak74's and some of the soldiers that retake the base are armed with a sweet black rifle that looks like the AN-94.

If you cashed in that bandit armour for the early quest you can find another, in the cordon area at the abandoned farm equip your knife and smash all the crates, there's an armour underneath them. Smash the little tins as well, there's usually hold bandages/medkits and ammo.

In streloks stash, you can find yourself a modified kalashnikov pretty early in the game, i'm not far myself, just reached the bar.

I also don't use the iron sights, i use the targeter and aim around the chest/neck and fire a burst of two or three rounds, one of those bullets is bound to get a head shot. With the iron sights, each shot pulls your aim off...wasting ammo to be honest.

Also a cool thing i've found...the stalkers and bandits actually drag their dead and turn nearby fires into a makeshift crematorium. And the more you fight, the more that the stalkers take over the area and battle with the mutants, bandits and soldiers. Keeping the roads clearer and allowing you to travel each zone a little easier.

The Walkin' Dude said:
You are proving my point. Bet you don't taste any difference between red and white wine either?

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
EvoG said:
. My feeling is that I may have missed a couple opportunities to get better weapons and maybe even real armor outside this damned leather jacket.

Heh, you're still using that leather jacket you started with? I bought this from the trader in my start location after having milled about for a few hours.

MountainWest

Scholar
EvoG said:
...that and I think I'm getting ahead of myself in the gameworld, getting my ass handed to me quite often. Without spoiling it for me, do I get 'better' weapons than you get from the average bandit (Viper5 or Ak79[whatever its called...the green gun) from quests from the trader or hidden in the first area.

Hmm, I don't know what you mean with the green gun? Is that the regular AKxx that get's dropped by bandits? Minor spoiler: If it is then there's another, better AK in the military compound next to the starting camp. It's hard to get in - those fuckers can take a lot of bullets - but it's worth it. With that rifle short bursts and no aiming with the right mouse button does wonders.

EDIT: And now it's not there. It might be a "hidden stash"-treasure, meaning you have to get the corresponding purple marker for it to show up.

Rante

Novice
EvoG said:
That's because you were misinformed. * on the numpad puts you in accelerated time mode and / puts you back in normal time mode.

User was nabbed fit

fizzelopeguss said:
With the iron sights, each shot pulls your aim off...wasting ammo to be honest.

I thought so too at first, but it doesn't really (thank God, as otherwise it would be nearly useless as you put it). The animation shows that your muzzle is climbing, but if you notice, your screen doesn't actually move up, meaning that the 'crosshair' (which is invisible when you have the irons up) hasn't moved either (apart from the recoil).

P.S. I found a Chunk Of Meat! 400% Health! Nice... I even got two of them. The downside is that I lose 10% in Rupture, Bulletproof Cap, and Impact. Since I have two, I lose 20% in those areas. The "Big" Chunk of Meat is probably different in that it has no downsides to it... I'll look out for that.

Though I also have "Mama's Beads" which give me a 5% bonus to Bulletproof Cap.

The other two artifacts I wear give me +76 in Stamina each, and I lose 10% in shock resistance (IIRC) each. Like I previously said... having unlimited sprint in this game is a must at times. I also got my hands on some kickass Duty armor.

Single shot goes a long way in this game, as far as saving ammo and accuracy is concerned. I usually do double taps going for headshots, or the same but hammering.

My stats so far:
http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/5446 ... 317nb5.jpg

EvoG

Erudite
Nicolai said:
EvoG said:
. My feeling is that I may have missed a couple opportunities to get better weapons and maybe even real armor outside this damned leather jacket.

Heh, you're still using that leather jacket you started with? I bought this from the trader in my start location after having milled about for a few hours.

Funny enough, your inventory looks identical to mine, except of course the merc armor that I wasn't offered. :(

...time to go back to that mofo...

Thanks bud

EvoG

Erudite
MountainWest said:
Hmm, I don't know what you mean with the green gun? Is that the regular AKxx that get's dropped by bandits?

Yea...the one nicolai has equipped in his linked image in his last post above. Ironically I'm into guns, and know a fair deal, but apparently not Russian weapons. It looks like an AK-ish, and I believe it said AK-79 ( I dont have the game open and I didn't pay attention to the name).

MountainWest said:
Minor spoiler: If it is then there's another, better AK in the military compound next to the starting camp. It's hard to get in - those fuckers can take a lot of bullets - but it's worth it. With that rifle short bursts and no aiming with the right mouse button does wonders.

The one just south down the road at the bottom of the map? Yea I'm hearing thats a tough fight as well, but at least I'd have some support from my boys in camp....sounds like a plan...

MountainWest said:
EDIT: And now it's not there. It might be a "hidden stash"-treasure, meaning you have to get the corresponding purple marker for it to show up.

...but you dont recall from who? You know, that would suck entirely if they pulled that crap (finding items only when tasked)

EvoG

Erudite
Rante said:
EvoG said:
That's because you were misinformed. * on the numpad puts you in accelerated time mode and / puts you back in normal time mode.

Thanks Rante. Wow first post and its to help me speed up time! :D

User was nabbed fit

EvoG said:
It looks like an AK-ish, and I believe it said AK-79

If I remember correctly from the game, it's an AKS-74U or close variant... but they changed the name of it, probably because they didn't have the rights to the real names.

MountainWest

Scholar
EvoG said:
The one just south down the road at the bottom of the map? Yea I'm hearing thats a tough fight as well, but at least I'd have some support from my boys in camp....sounds like a plan...

Yup. That's the one. Without a doubt the hardest fight I've encountered so far. 8-10 soldiers that spread out and flank you with AKs (disregarding their own mine field...)

...but you dont recall from who? You know, that would suck entirely if they pulled that crap (finding items only when tasked)

Could be anyone; the respawning thiefs leaves different clues everytime. And if you save prior to searching a corpse you could get a clue that you don't get if you reload and search the same corpse again. Seems random (which in my opinion - did you hear that ViolentOpposition, in my opinion :D - sucks). Though, I'm not completly sure the rifle was there because of a purple marker. I'm going back later tonight to do a more thorough search.

The "new" weapon was an AKm 74/2.

MountainWest

Scholar
And now I went back. The AKm 74/2 was in the blue chest beside the TV in the second house. I can swear I checked that same chest the last time I was there (and destroyed the TV, which now was miraculously fixed). No purple marker this time, and I'm thinking there was none the last time I found the weapon either. That's why I wasn't sure earlier.

A bug perhaps. A purple marker that doesn't show up on the map is my guess.

BTW, the regular AK is AKm 74/2U.

EvoG

Erudite
TV in the second house at the military camp , Mountain?

..goddamnit I have work to finish (you know if I could tell you guys what game it is, I bet you'd be excited about even though its not an RPG)...

...I'm itching for ANYTHING better than the guns I have.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom