Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

potatojohn

Arcane
How do you lean in corners while moving? Do ou swap fingers quickly in the keys?

Is this pistol on from Nimble ? And your armor, is it the duty one?
What do you mean how? I take off my finger from W to lean.

The pistol is USP compact and the armor is SEVA.

Here's some more:

knifefighting bloodsuckers

interrupting the meeting

potatojohn

Arcane
Yah, a satiated recon carrying up to ~15kg can sprint without loss of stamina. It's super useful.

spectre

Arcane
Um, how do you guys play this misery thing? Cause I am facepalming every few minutes.

This mess of a mod goes ctd every third quickload on average. I can live with that, but ctd on save? This is just low.
Just a moment ago, I see an emission is coming, so I pop a pill to sleep it off. After a moment, I wake up and see that the emission has just gone into full swing... killing me instantly. Genius.
Not to mention, telekinetic melee mutants swipe and hit me whilst standing several meters away.
Another time, here I am walking around, suddenly I get hit by... something. Definitely not an emission and not a mutant. Two seconds later I am hit again and I die. Seriosuly, struck by lightning? Twice?

I have nothing against added difficulty, I welcome it, cause I now have to plan my excursions into the zone, making sure I have enough ammo food and medicine to get by. This alone means it blows CoP vanilla out of the water.
Still, some of the shit it pulls... ok, what were they thinking?

MasPingon

Arcane
Just a moment ago, I see an emission is coming, so I pop a pill to sleep it off. After a moment, I wake up and see that the emission has just gone into full swing... killing me instantly. Genius.

tumblr_lwh1qiOu211qgy9i3o2_500.gif

Another time, here I am walking around, suddenly I get hit by... something. Definitely not an emission and not a mutant. Two seconds later I am hit again and I die. Seriosuly, struck by lightning? Twice?

Psi storm or those entities throwing at you with everything in sight

Psi storm, you say? Possible, though it would probably show the psi attack icon in the screen corner, wouldn't it?

Nope

spectre

Arcane
Dunno what Christian Bale is trying to tell me, but it was the regular pill that says you can survive an emission with it (forgot its name). I already used it before, and it worked... so what gives? Went past the expiration date?

And no, it wasn't a poltergeist, the screen didn't light up like it usually does.
Psi storm, you say? Possible, though it would probably show the psi attack icon in the screen corner, wouldn't it?

potatojohn

Arcane
Um, how do you guys play this misery thing? Cause I am facepalming every few minutes.

This mess of a mod goes ctd every third quickload on average. I can live with that, but ctd on save? This is just low.
Never had a crash with misery, or CoP for that matter and I used and abused it aplenty. Are you playing on a 32bit wintendo? Do you have the latest CoP patch? Do you have the latest misery patch?

spectre

Arcane
Yep, patched up and good to go. May be due to the 32 bit ram limit, though I installed all the latest patches which claim to have addressed it.

Silva

Arcane
Spectre, I never had any crash or those weird things you mention with Misery.

Did you apply the mod over a clean install of CoP ? It’s a important thing to do.

Also, I would say avoid playing in DX11, since it seems to make the game unstable. Go for DX10 (or DX9, if your rig don’t support DX10).

Sodafish

Arcane
I'm nearing the end of SoC complete, and about to go to Pripyat. As I recall from my playthrough years ago it's pretty much a one way ticket from now on, so I'm wondering what stuff is best to take, weapons-wise. I'm thinking the G37 for .556, and just the Vintorez with SP5 ammo for the 9x39 option. The Groza isn't bad, but the 20 round mag is a bit limiting and the ammo weighs a fuckton if you need to carry the amount required for an assault weapon. On the other hand, I have way more of the VOG nades for the Groza than the much rarer M209s for the G37.

I was thinking of ditching the pistol (literally never use it) and instead carry a SPAS-12 with a few dozen rounds for any mutants, although this might mean I'll be overburdened when I eventually get the gauss rifle.

What do you guys typically take with you?

spectre

Arcane
Yeah, I know, I used them before they worked then.

The install is as clean as they go. Maybe it doesn't like my copy of CoP... or maybe I's telling me to wait for 2.0 to drop by.

So it seems I ran into a psi storm at that time. It was pretty lulzy, as I ran into the antenna complex for shelter and it struck me down through the roof. Not at all surprised.

MasPingon

Arcane
Those hiding places remained from vanila CoP, sometimes it's pretty annoying. You aren't safe in the warehouse but it's perfectly fine to wait till the storm ends in a barge with a huge whole in the roof

Silva

Arcane
After finishing CoP and SoC, Im playing Clear Sky right now. Im somewhat liking its gameplay, even if its atmosphere is completely different from the other games.

But its premise of a War"Zone" with various groups engaged in a territorial wars doesnt makes any sense for me. Im amused at how bad those devs are at creating story ideas (first the Zone "origins" in SoC, now this). Clear Sky really feels like the Splinter Cell "Conviction" of the Stalker series.

spectre

Arcane
One good thing about clear sky are the maps. I'm liking the original SoC maps far more than CoP, and it's fantastic to be able to revisit them witha a more sandboxy feel.
I also liked the first swamp level a lot, much more than the Zaton swamps in CoP.
Ialso really liked the fact that artifacts seen not to respawn at all - makes them feel special and valuable.

Silva

Arcane
Without artifact respawning one could never assume the role of an actual stalker like CoP allows. You know, making a biz out of stalking - getting up in the morning at the Skadovski to go "artifact hunting" with other stalkers, and coming back at dusk for selling it to Beard, have a vodka with Cardan, resuplying with Own, improving your stalking gear, having a chat with others, etc.

This "Stalker Sim" aspect was half the experience for me in CoP Misery, and a big part on why I consider it the best in the series.

(though I heard in CoP vanilla its broken and with only one tour around Zaton you already make enough money to make this aspect irrelevant )

DraQ

Arcane
I think there should be happy medium between CoP and CS in terms of artefact availability. With even some SoC thrown in.

There should be much wider gap between common stuff (about as common as in CoP, but also much cheaper), and truly awesome stuff randomly spawning once in few emissions.

Also, I liked the effects of the artefacts the most in SoC, would also prefer some alternative to artefacts spawning out of thin air once you equipped the detector, but still being hard to find.

MasPingon

Arcane
I miss non-marked anomalies in CoP, I loved seeing how those damn wild dogs just ran into the Whirling or Vortex, making shreds out of them. Also, artifacts hunting would be more interesting if we could find them all over the map, not only in specific places

Btw it's damn hard to find a rare artifact in CoP - they spawn only after the blowout and there is only 17% chance for that. Without Artifact hunter perk 80% of them are just commons. I would raise it to 30% and make other stalkers more active, so you need to compete with them. Are they even hunting for artifacts in Misery now? I saw a couple of stalkers near anomalies but they seem do nothing but just standing/sitting there.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Misery is pretty awesome so far. It truly feels like a survival horror experience. Even more so than DayZ did in the first week I played that.

I chose recon for my class, and so far I've finished the first CoP storyline mission, and now I'm down to stalking stalkers and grabbing their ammo and food whenever mutants kill them, simply because I've already run out of money for food. This is definitely a mod I can see myself playing for a while to come.

DraQ

Arcane
Also, artifacts hunting would be more interesting if we could find them all over the map, not only in specific places
You actually can.

Btw it's damn hard to find a rare artifact in CoP - they spawn only after the blowout and there is only 17% chance for that.
That's not "damn hard".

"Damn hard" is what creates a dilemma between selling an artifact because you're dirt poor, hungry and your gear falls apart (not a problem with weapons, because you can't afford ammo anyway), or holding onto it because it's awesome and you may very well never see another like it.

CS did pretty well on "damn hard" scale, but it was because its artifacts never respawned, which broke the actual stalker part.

MasPingon

Arcane
That's not "damn hard".

"Damn hard" is what creates a dilemma between selling an artifact because you're dirt poor, hungry and your gear falls apart (not a problem with weapons, because you can't afford ammo anyway), or holding onto it because it's awesome and you may very well never see another like it.

That's exactly as "damn hard" as it is in Misery. Did you play it?

Silva

Arcane
DraQ, I think you need to play more Misery.

Rare artifacts are really "damn hard" to find yes, at least before you get that perk that increases the chances of rares spawning (even so, it doesnt increase THAT much). I even thought Beard was cheating me when he asked for some artifacts that I havent encountered till pripyat (WTF ? Does this shit really exists ? ). And sometimes NO artifacts spawned at all for a while. I had to pass time coming and going from to Zaton/Yanov hoping for the next emission to spawn some. (EDIT: thinking again, maybe the skadovski stalkers prospering after I helped them has somehing to do with it? at first artifacts are more frequent in zaton, but then its a chore to find one. Is there some logic in the game that factors the other stalkers acquiring artifacts too ?)

I even had a dilemma in my game where Garry wanted my Kolobok (a very important artifact in the short/mid-game) but I hadnt found a better healing artifact (nor another Kolobok) up til that point. .

Also, other rares just spawned once in my whole game: Flame, Gravi, the one with +6 endurance, the one with +6 healing. The only rare that I think appeared too much in my game was the Bubble. I found 4 of it in total (the one Garry gave me already factored).

And I played around 45 hours in my game. In other words, I really explored the "Stalker Sim" part. Its entirely possible that a player that goes straight to the central plot doesnt even see some artifacts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom