Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
night vision in stalker was always garbage with the exception of call of pripyat. as far as i know there is no fix for it, no matter what mod you use.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Playing more Misery 2, I had such an awesome idea I cant believe myself. You know what would be cool on CoP ? A tweak that:

1) disables save-game functionality except on bases and campfires.

2) makes so youre rescued by friendlies when you die in certain circumstances (with part of loot/money gone and health fucked).

You just described Far Cry 2 on console.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I had like 4. Is that past the limit? I understood that it was a problem with the mod not being able to handle the tasks scrolling down.
4 tasks should be able to fit on the PDA screen.
Maybe it was due to the tasks. Too late now, anyway. Just started AMK. Or trying to at least.

Update :

AMK refuses to work properly. It always crashes at start up, and this is after using the 1.0005 fix, as well the english patch.

Oddly enough, ZoA works just fine, even though I am not running 1.0006

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Isn't AMK for 1.0004 only, and make problems when you use downgrader for Steam version? ZoA maybe don't crash for you, but there might be moment when something does not work right.

Whatever.
Finished Autumn Aurora 2. Sort of... reached Radar, well hidden monols snipe me from away, from every gun.
Now thing is - I reached Radar, made jumps with teleports to Pripyat, then another jump to Chernobyl Power Plant. Out of curiosity I found that there is Monolith Control Center near Wish Granter, where you receive new quest "Find the truth about Monolith".
Is that from AA2 additional quest or it was in vanilia and my memory have malfunction?
OK, it is from vanilia and no way in hell I go there. Fighting with 30+ monols - all that for alternative ending that I can watch on YT - is not worth.

Yes, I have fetish for any mobility improvements (especially teleports) outside of vehicles.

Where did you find out exoskeleton? I found one in the chest under Wish Granter chamber.

Installed English patch 2.094
What is that? I'm sure it's not required to play on steam.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
AMK does only work for 1.0004, but there is a fix that allows it to run in 1.0005.
Apparently it works. Just not for me.
Is anyone here familiar with AMK on steam?
here's what I did -

Installed AMK 1.4
Installed English patch 2.094
Installed AMK 1.0005 fix
Installed AMK retranslated

First time around I forgot to install the english patch. Finished Sid's dialogue before crash

Then I installed the english patch and it crashes on new game start.

ZoA works fine. As in functional, anyway.
Still not a fan of ZoA. It has interesting mechanics that are poorly executed and are quite clunky.

Just did lab X-16. It was excellent.

One issue with AA is that mutants got a pretty serious nerf because of the increased damage and accuracy of the guns. It's not a huge problem overall though, the faster ones are still quite scary to deal with.

Silva

Arcane
Thanks, Ivan.

I think those feats would mitigate the over-reliance on "reload" and force the player to rely more on planning and skill. At the same time, they would make it viable for the player to cope with failure and get responsibility for his actions and choices. In other words: As death won't always translate to "endgame" the player will tend to accept losses and roll with it. Its more or less the design philosophy behind recent games like Dark Souls, Crusader Kings 2, This War of Mine, etc. where failure is expected to be part of the experience and be coped with, instead of a dead-end / trigger for auto-reload. This tend to increase sense of continuity, and thus immersion.

Another interesting consequence is that the maps would have a natural sense of difficulty, as the number of available campsites (and thus savegame locations) dwindles progressively for each map. Ie: Zaton is full of campsites, Yanov has a couple camps, and Pripyat has only one.

Man, I would pay to see this tweak in CoP.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One thing that I would like to see in Misery is feature from SGM, where you can use spare parts from damaged guns to repair your weapon.
Relying only on rags and glue (not even ductape) is boring.
And it's still funny to think that you can deliver one shot kill in the head and get damaged gun from enemy (50% of HP) when you can shot them in the knee and get untouched gun :hahano:

PS. I managed to run new Zone of Alienation 1.07.02. Go problems to run it on my boxed version from potato.
And despite reinstalling ShoC I need to clean user.ltx (nobody told me about it) cause using old one give errors and deleting don't help, game is too lazy to make new one.

And not sure if I broke something but mod doesn't look that pretty like previous version of the mod :cry:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Decided to install Misery and finish it.

It goes that way:
1. Install the game + 1.6.0.2 patch.
2. Install Misery 2.1.1
3. Extract Les Miserables (read manual, overwrite everything)
4. Extract The Armed Zone (read manual, overwrite everything)
5. Remove line in w_desert_eagle.ltx
section [wpn_desert_eagle_custom]
line "installed_upgrades" must be removed
6. edit files mentioned in Silva's post

After few hours my impression is highly positive.
:greatjob:
And I've found nice gear in the hunter's camp, including oven, sleep back and addon for sleepbag that give you better sleep. Not that I need one as a Sniper though.

Silva

Arcane
Shit, so the Deagle was the cause of the problem between Armed Zone and Les Miserbles ? Great find, Mother. :D Oh by the way, there is a hotfix for Armed Zone in the mods page. I was having some crashes and it fixed it for me

Edit: also, I found out instaling "Absolute Nature 3 Lite" over Misery makes it run with more fps, besides giving it the original "greenish" Zone visual that we love.

Last edited:

chobbes

Educated
Hey guys, been reading the codex for some time now, will like to contribute to this thread.

I've been playing Misery v2.1.1 for the past few days by following MotherMachinae's installation procedure.
I will like to suggest 2 useful mods for Misery.

Yaargle's Scope Mod

Cooking Rework
Minimap Restoration

The first minimod tweaks and refines the scopes used by Misery.
The second allows cooking en masse, for example if you have 8 pieces of boar meat and 8 units of cooking fuel, you only need to cook once, saving the hassle of cooking 8 times.
The third re-enables a modified minimap on your screen. Strictly for friend-or-foe identification only. No enemy aggression or noise meters.

For those people who are peeved that weapons on dead bodies have no ammo (I find that unrealistic) :

Go to this folder :-
gamedata/scripts

Look for this file :-
death_manager.script

Set the following line :-
local unload_on_death = false

Also remember to set :-
gamedata/configs/
alife.ltx
objects_per_update = 1

Also also! for those people with medium-performance PCs, you may want to consider tweaking switch_distance in your alife.ltx
switch_distance = 300 (misery default)
switch_distance = 150 (stalker default)
switch_distance = 200 (I'm using this value)

Note that the higher the switch_distance, the higher the chance that the game may lag when using the scope.
Higher switch_distance might be more useful for sniper class only.
Some ModDB users have used switch_distance = 600 and objects_per_updates = 1 with no problems.
Tweak according to your preference!

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Welcome to the Codex chobbles and to our Stalker thread
Thanks for the tips...all this is getting me itching to get into Moded Misery too but I feel guilty enough over replying Dark Souls or Stalker when I have such a big backlog already

chobbes

Educated
How do I amend my previous post? Can't find the option anywhere.
Never mind I'll add more tweaks here.

Tweaking the Weather

For those who find Misery's weather too rainy and depressing :-

Edit this file :- /gamedata/configs/atmosfear_parameters.ltx

Look for the below chunk of code :
opt_zaton_period_good = clear_foggy
opt_zaton_period_bad = foggy_rainy
opt_zaton_period_good_length = 4
opt_zaton_period_bad_length = 12
opt_jupiter_period_good = clear_foggy
opt_jupiter_period_bad = foggy_rainy
opt_jupiter_period_good_length = 4
opt_jupiter_period_bad_length = 4
opt_pripyat_period_good = clear_foggy
opt_pripyat_period_bad = rainy
opt_pripyat_period_good_length = 4
opt_pripyat_period_bad_length = 12

Replace the above code with this one :
opt_zaton_period_good = clear
opt_zaton_period_bad = clear_foggy
opt_zaton_period_good_length = 12
opt_zaton_period_bad_length = 4
opt_jupiter_period_good = clear
opt_jupiter_period_bad = clear_foggy
opt_jupiter_period_good_length = 12
opt_jupiter_period_bad_length = 4
opt_pripyat_period_good = clear
opt_pripyat_period_bad = clear_foggy
opt_pripyat_period_good_length = 12
opt_pripyat_period_bad_length = 4

For those who wants to tweak further, don't go below 4 or above 12, otherwise strange things might happen.

Tweaking Blowouts and Psi-Storms Frequency

For those who find blowouts and psi-storms too frequent, especially Les Miserables users.
The author of Les Mis changed the frequency of blowouts and psi-storms to 24h and 36h respectively.

Edit this file :- /gamedata/configs/atmosfear_parameters.ltx

Search for : opt_blowout_freq
Set to : opt_blowout_freq = 48

Blowout happens every x/2 to x hours. Don't use value lower then 6h (every 3 to 6h).

Search for : opt_psi_storm_freq
Set to : opt_psi_storm_freq = 72

Psi storm happens every x/2 to x hours. Don't use value lower then 6h (every 3 to 6h)

chobbes

Educated
Here's my Recon character after 30 hours, with western leanings for weapon preferences.

Also in above picture: a unique Misery-only weapon that I've found. (Hint : its meant for very close quarters combat only)

Personally I find most fun in seeking out mercs in Water Treatment Plant in Zaton, its like playing a giant CS map with my scoped silenced M4A1.

The game seems to have lost some of its challenge after obtaining a full set of modded weapons and SEVA armour.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I gave up. It doesn't work on my PC. Stutter like mad. Editing these files doesn't help, it's choice between one hard stutter on few little ones, then crash. Return to Skadowsk impossible.
The crap that game throw when play is astonishing, my HDD giving up and call game to crash. Launching the game 5 minutes. Loading save - another 5 minutes. Not touch it again until I buy SSD disc or upgrade my PC, which won't happen in long time.
Yeah, laugh at me for using old HDD instead of modern SSD...

I try to reinstall Misery with Les Miserables. Hope it help.
Pity cause these revolvers in Misery looks great and I love revolvers...

Next time, when I want to play The Armed Zone, I just reinstall Misery in Rookie Mode,

Last edited:

chobbes

Educated
I gave up. It doesn't work on my PC. Stutter like mad. Editing these files doesn't help, it's choice between one hard stutter on few little ones, then crash. Return to Skadowsk impossible.
The crap that game throw when play is astonishing, my HDD giving up and call game to crash. Launching the game 5 minutes. Loading save - another 5 minutes. Not touch it again until I buy SSD disc or upgrade my PC, which won't happen in long time.
Yeah, laugh at me for using old HDD instead of modern SSD...

I try to reinstall Misery with Les Miserables. Hope it help.
Pity cause these revolvers in Misery looks great and I love revolvers...

Next time, when I want to play The Armed Zone, I just reinstall Misery in Rookie Mode,

You want to try posting your crash log here?
Just paste into notepad immediately after you experience a CTD.
You can also consult with the Misery forum over at ModDB.

On my 6-year old PC (Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB RAM, Western Digital HDD, R6850), loading times takes only about 1-2 minutes.
Subsequent reloading from quicksaves takes less than a minute usually.
I'm playing Misery v2.1.1 as Recon on Black Road with latest Les Miserables and The Armed Zone v1.7, CTDs are fairly rare.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
No, it's not that crash with logs, just engine gave up after few chokes. And yes, it's known problem, only few people.

Played few hours without TAZ and it's ok.
I made huge mistake and installed decompressed, optimized textures. Game looks awful and no FPS boost noticed.

Silva

Arcane
chobbes,

Im playing a recon too and switch 200 just like you. I would like to increase it to 350 but I worry about NPCs (I had Noah and Topol die once, while fighting mutants out of my reach). Do you think keeping switch lower (200) is really safer for NPCs , or its irrelevant ?

chobbes

Educated
chobbes,

Im playing a recon too and switch 200 just like you. I would like to increase it to 350 but I worry about NPCs (I had Noah and Topol die once, while fighting mutants out of my reach).
Do you think keeping switch lower (200) is really safer for NPCs , or its irrelevant ?

I remember my first Misery playthrough with switch_distance = 300.
Noah and Topol died on me too, but I cannot be sure if the main reason is because of switch_distance.
When I changed switch_distance to 200, everything seem fine, not sure if its a coincidence.

So based on my gameplay experience ... yes, a lower switch_distance may be a factor to prevent NPC deaths.
But I cannot say for sure unless I do more testing. I will say some luck is involved also.

If you want to have the best of both worlds, may I suggest :

For Noah -
(1) Start the game with switch_distance = 200
(2) Make sure his ship door is closed at all times, otherwise mutants might go in and attack Noah.
(3) Make it your first priority to complete his Stingray 3 plot mission. (alternatively, you can find the teleporting anomaly at Burnt Farmstead yourself, I've done it before.)
(4) Quickly complete his Compass artifact questline (you will need to obtain 3 Veles detectors for Owl first before this mission is available, the Scientists sell Veles sometimes)
(5) After that, feel free to change switch_distance to 350

For Topol -
(1) Make sure you complete his questline (Intermittent Psy-Emissions and Anomaly Research missions given by Prof Hermann) immediately upon arriving at Yanov Station.
(2) Get freebies (medicine and antirads) from Topol after he survives the entire Anomaly Research questline (he will fully join the Scientist faction).
(2) After that, feel free to change switch_distance to 350

Let me know if you need more help for anything.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I tried that Atmosphear Lite and it another improvement. I mean - it's still ok so far, with Lite it's better.

I went into moddb.com main page and see what I stumbled upon.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-wormwood/news/announcing-stalker-wormwood
I remember that info about Redux 2.0 cancelled, only to see it turned into Misery rival.
I would laugh out loud and dance on their grave when this Wormwood/Redux will be better than Misery 2.1.1 :lol:
It gave me vibe of mod team turned into something more. Hope they turn into Misery team...

Magazine system a'la Zone of Alienation? Mutant hunting for their meat and parts?
MutantLooting.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom