Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER fans: LURK 1.1

jonnypolen

Liturgist
Ok, ok... Just curious. Just finished SoC with the Complete-mod and liked the changes, but I'm propably going to play it again at some point and wouldn't mind enhancing the experience further. Sorry if this trolled you.

Homo!

jonnypolen

Liturgist
Thanks! I haven't really heard much about the LURK-mod. Is it really that much of a game/life changing experience?

JrK

Prophet
One of the things changed is a redone ballistics/weapon gameplay system. When I played 1.05 the weapons didn't feel like nerf guns any more. Check the site for all info. LURK, unlike Complete, is not foremost a graphics overhaul mod.

jonnypolen

Liturgist
Oh, well that IS great. The gun mechanics left a bit to be desired. However, I also enjoyed the improved graphics and the tweaks in Complete. The nights got darker, and combined with better stealth mechanics it was possible to avoid a lot of filler combat. A shame if you can't use both Comp and LURK together.

Edit: Just finished reading about the LURK-mod, and it seems as if I have to reinstall and replay SoC again before long. How am I supposed to find the time? :(

denizsi

Arcane
I wonder if they used my Dynamic HUD Elements scripts:

Recent Developments

You'll be happy to find that we manage to stuff things in moments before release. I should say that I wasn't entirely finished when speaking about complained about developments. One of which being the Dynamic HUD System. I should say that it's inherited an unfair amount of stigma, as being associated with more modern FPS games that feature things like regenerating health, an indeed very unfitting aspect for S.T.A.L.K.E.R.. However it should be known that the only thing we've derived from this system is the on screen effects and it L.U.R.K. does not and never will have regenerating health.

I've gotten several requests from newb modders to help with black-out fading, blurring and other similar effects.

The Wizard

Educated
before i waste my time acquiring soc again and downloading the mod:
are the ballistics still all over the place? i really hate rifles that get useless at <50meters.

and can bloodsucker mutants still take 5 buckshot shells to the head without flinching?

Mackerel

Augur
LURK sucked before, the new version isn't really any better and the bloom levels are set to retarded.

fakeedit: Hmm, seems their Patch #1 addresses this:
- HDR effects completely redone. Everything from bloom levels to sky brightness and such.
but
- Overbearing HDR effects underground alleviated but not fixed entirely.
and that's where it was the worst.

JrK

Prophet
I've played LURK 1.1 up to X18 and I have to say that 1.05 was more impressive... Weapons redone were overdone. Recoil was immense so auto fire was useless even when bumping into someone. Enemies sniping with Makarov pistols (and leaving their other weapons in their backpacks). Graphics were honestly way better in 1.05, and Complete still blows it out of the water. But worst of all the game really isn't made for the long range sniperfest this had made it. Critical NPC's die before you can reach them. The problems with the enemy spawn rate is exacerbated because they will attack you way earlier and snipe your head off with a pistol. And lastly, without a moon or better night vision this mod was impossible in any form of darkness be it dusk, night or shadows from buildings. Even with NV you'd be blind.

On the other hand, I tried Complete again and was very surprised at how 'redone' the weapons felt. Way better than LURK and it had the better graphics to boot. Critical NPC's are not dead before you can ever reach them and this has the ultimate night vision modification.

Lost Alpha is the only SOC mod worth playing. Why? Because SOC's problem was the linear, small, levels with diffused the feeling of playing a game based on the movie and the book. All other mods are just beating on the same dead horse.

Sgizo

Educated
JrK said:
I've played LURK 1.1 up to X18 and I have to say that 1.05 was more impressive... Weapons redone were overdone. Recoil was immense so auto fire was useless even when bumping into someone. Enemies sniping with Makarov pistols (and leaving their other weapons in their backpacks). Graphics were honestly way better in 1.05, and Complete still blows it out of the water. But worst of all the game really isn't made for the long range sniperfest this had made it. Critical NPC's die before you can reach them. The problems with the enemy spawn rate is exacerbated because they will attack you way earlier and snipe your head off with a pistol. And lastly, without a moon or better night vision this mod was impossible in any form of darkness be it dusk, night or shadows from buildings. Even with NV you'd be blind.

I just finished LURK 1.1 yesterday and I didn't encounter most of the problems you mentioned. Also, the problems I did encounter didn't really bother me.

Sure the recoil was immense on some guns (Dragunov, what the hell?), but I really liked the fact that you couldn't run & gun your way through the game. You had to rely on a carefull approach and stealth. Critical NPC's never died on me, as long as I made an effort to get to them on time. Sure I had to rush in some areas, but that just added a sense of urgency which felt very real to me.

Your right about the respawn rate and the sniperfest with the NPC's. After I noticed enemies respawning after a few hours in game, I just decided to run past them where ever possible. Very metagamie though, and it sometimes destroyed the atmosphere. And yeah, the nightvision was totally useless in the open. Meanwhile, it was overly effective in the underground areas. I just stopped using my flashlight altogether.

That being said, it's a real shame artifacts aren't usable. This took away a large part of the fun that was Stalker and made the game more difficult in some areas than it needed to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom