Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stalker Call of Pripyat??

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I have this on my HD for some months, not played much. Not that I find it bad, on the contrary, just (still) too much fighting and horror elements for my taste.

Anything new in the last months, mods etc? (esp. for people like me who like it to become a exploration type game)

If you don't like the fighting and horror there is little that can be done I'm afraid. There is some exploration, especially if you do all the side quests and hunt for artifacts, but I'm not sure if that it's enough for you.
It was the only STALKER game polished enough that I could play it without mods. If you can wait more the Complete mod will undoubtly improve it

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-complete

If not, ArmosFear and Redux are out. I played neither, but they look like they are worth a try.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/atmosfear-for-call-of-pripyat
http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-pripyat-redux

deshields538

Scholar
Horror was the best part about the old Shadow of Chernobyl game. Doing the Agroprom Tunnel sequence without any idea of what to expect down there was awesome, especially the controller part.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
v40aar.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
There is quite a lot of exploration in CoP - stashes can now be found without info, and most are cleverly hidden, also some quests can only be triggered by poking around where you should not.

deshields538 said:
Horror was the best part about the old Shadow of Chernobyl game. Doing the Agroprom Tunnel sequence without any idea of what to expect down there was awesome, especially the controller part.
How about X18?

deshields538

Scholar
DraQ said:
deshields538 said:
How about X18?

It was awesome too, especially the banging door that you have to open and find out what was on the other side. I was actually relieved when it just turned out to be some demonic red gas cloud that screamed and shot fire at you. :lol:

Didn't compare to that first run in with a controller in Agropom though. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't attempt to fight the controller and just ran away like a coward. :(

SoupNazi

I didn't think you COULD fight the controller. The screen got so wacky and health was going down so fast that I thought you were supposed to run away. :(

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I finished this a few days ago and give it a big thumbs up. I felt like CoP was the way the first STALKER should have always been (game mechanic wise, like quests, modding, the new hand scanners etc...). The new achievement system (with its good and negative effects) were great. The quests were a lot better, the ending slides (ala Fallout), as well as the new modification system.

The game feels a bit smaller than SoC in that there are only 3 main areas, and then you get to explore places within them. Overall, I still enjoyed it. The one thing it does really need is an Economy mod, that basically makes loot a lot harder to find, and stashes that are really worth it when you come upon them.

Tails

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
The one thing it does really need is an Economy mod, that basically makes loot a lot harder to find, and stashes that are really worth it when you come upon them.
You can check out M.A.I.O. then - Tweaks AI, Weapons, Mutants and also economy, iIt has also included pretty smug HUD. Also I recommend Stalker CoP Sound Overhaul, which basically replaces many sound with better ones, especially the guns. Another neat thing is AtmosFear for Call Of Pripyat which improves weather system in a massive way.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Tails said:
Jaesun said:
The one thing it does really need is an Economy mod, that basically makes loot a lot harder to find, and stashes that are really worth it when you come upon them.
You can check out M.A.I.O. then - Tweaks AI, Weapons, Mutants and also economy, iIt has also included pretty smug HUD. Also I recommend Stalker CoP Sound Overhaul, which basically replaces many sound with better ones, especially the guns. Another neat thing is AtmosFear for Call Of Pripyat which improves weather system in a massive way.

See, this is the one thing I just HATE about the STALKER modding community. Some mods have some really really nice features, but then they just cram tons of other shit I just do not want or like. If they would release them modular like or possibly use something like Weidu (like the BG mods) that would be ideal.

It's like they all have ADHD "hey guize! I'mma make a loot balance patch! Oh yeah, then I'mma gonna change all the weapon sounds. Also let me tweak some mutant stats! I have an Idea! Let's now make anomalies tougher!" etc etc...

:x

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Jaesun said:
It's like they all have ADHD "hey guize! I'mma make a loot balance patch! Oh yeah, then I'mma gonna change all the weapon sounds. Also let me tweak some mutant stats! I have an Idea! Let's now make anomalies tougher!" etc etc...
This is the reason why I only used ZRP and SRP with the first 2 games (and nothing with COP). COMPLETE and AtmosFear and a few other mods had lots of things I wanted, but even more things I DO NOT WANT. ZRP was great for this because you could just go into its config utility and edit all the non-bugfixes yourself (like upgrades, no quest respawns and so on)

Tails

Arbiter
Jaesun said:
See, this is the one thing I just HATE about the STALKER modding community. Some mods have some really really nice features, but then they just cram tons of other shit I just do not want or like. If they would release them modular like or possibly use something like Weidu (like the BG mods) that would be ideal.

:x
And what so wrong with that? you seem trying too hard now. Anyway, in case of M.A.I.O (since I'm quiet sure you didn't even bother to check) it's separated into different branches/directories - AI, Weapons, Mutants and Realism path which contains better economy but also some drastic changes. But you can overall choose what you want to use. I don't get why you have problem Atmosphear or with sound replacing mod when the new sounds are much better, and this is the case of Stalker CoP Sound Overhaul.

Personally so far I used only HUD from M.A.I.O. package and this Stalker CoP Sound Overhaul and game became nicer.

DraQ

Arcane
Sceptic said:
Jaesun said:
This is the reason why I only used ZRP and SRP with the first 2 games (and nothing with COP). COMPLETE and AtmosFear and a few other mods had lots of things I wanted, but even more things I DO NOT WANT. ZRP was great for this because you could just go into its config utility and edit all the non-bugfixes yourself (like upgrades, no quest respawns and so on)
Same here - only ZRP with some custom DIY quick fixes and translation.

I'd love some more extensive upgrades, but they come bundled with lolwuts.

Still, CoP could use much more lethal anomalies - one of the few things CS did extremely right.

praetor

Arcane
Tails said:
Jaesun said:
Also I recommend Stalker CoP Sound Overhaul, which basically replaces many sound with better ones, especially the guns.

a more important feature of the sound overhauls (both of them) is that the sounds are properly commented so it could be also considered a bugfix

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom