Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Call of Pripyat, help me Codex

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Help me Codex, you are my only hope.

So anyway, I'm playing CoP with the Complete mod, and have gotten to Jupiter. I did the psy-anomaly mission and got the anomaly sensor mission, currently saved when going to talk to the bandits about that one dude's debt...

And whenever I load the game, the X-Ray engine crashes! :x

I've tried using the weather fixes, deleting user.ltx, lowering graphics, DX10 dynamic lighting, fixing the user path in the fsgame.ltx... And nothing has worked.

Also, I've tried to open the X-Ray engine exe, and it says it cannot open fsgame.ltx.

praetor

Arcane
^definitely. complete for CoP is quite buggy. you're better off merging a couple of the must have mods by yourself (atmosphere, MSO/AI fixes, sound mods, texture packs)

Flanged

Scholar
Had this a few times with Complete, but deleting user.ltx always fixed it.

Some other possible solutions before reinstalling, though:

Download and run the Securom Removal Tool: https://support.securom.com/removaltool.html

Even if it doesn't fix COP, it'll get any Securom traces off your comp.

Run it as administrator under Vista.

Complete likes to run in Full Dynamic Lighting (DX10), I hear. It gets a bit humpty about any lesser lighting settings, and won't re-start if you've changed to them. If your comp can handle it, I'd always run it under the top lighting, but since you can't open the game at all that won't help you much. The lighting settings can be changed to FDL DX10 in User.ltx, I think, without the game running, but it's a bit of a process - might be better of re-installing after all.

If you're running Fraps or Xfire or anything with a screen overlay that can fuck it up as well. All the Stalker games are touchy.

Vaarna_Aarne

I'll try removing SecuSHIT now.

praetor said:
^definitely. complete for CoP is quite buggy. you're better off merging a couple of the must have mods by yourself (atmosphere, MSO/AI fixes, sound mods, texture packs)
Can I still use my Complete saves?

EDIT: Nope, still didn't help. Looks like I'll have to Reinstall.

Vaarna_Aarne

Reinstalled, didn't put in any mods (this is the Radioactive Edition, so no patches either), didn't even change the default installation directories...

And it doesn't even launch now. If I try to run the X-Ray Engine exe, it tells me it can't open the fsgame.ltx, like before.

Flanged

Scholar
Two more possible solutions for ye.

go to wherever you've installed CoP, usually C:\Program Files\ BitComposer Games\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat and open up the fsgame.ltx in notepad

on the 2nd line it should say:

$app_data_root$ = true | false | C:\Users\Public\Documents\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat

add "user.ltx" on the end so it looks like this:

$app_data_root$ = true | false | C:\Users\Public\Documents\S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat\user.ltx

That should work, but I got it off Gamefags, so it could also be bollocks.

If fsgame.ltx isn't in your installation folder for some reason then you could try using mine:

http://www.4shared.com/file/p2gb79Lv/fsgame.html

If that's all it's looking for at start up then it should be fixed when it finds it. Once the game's up and running you can change the settings to suit yourself.

@ torpid: I still think Complete is an awesome mod, more or less essential to get the game looking and sounding it's best, but Praetor's right that it's buggy. Don't really know any special places to go for COP mods, but there are shitloads of weapon re-skin and re-naming ones to wade through before you find anything good. Generally with Stalker mods, bigger is better. Atmosfear, Complete, stuff like that. COP's a great game, but the big overhaul mods really improve it, and can stop the distant terrain from being Xbox-level in terms of detail.

Raapys

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
Reinstalled, didn't put in any mods (this is the Radioactive Edition, so no patches either), didn't even change the default installation directories...

And it doesn't even launch now. If I try to run the X-Ray Engine exe, it tells me it can't open the fsgame.ltx, like before.
Try using the shortcut instead ^_*

The .exe file is located in the gameroot\bin\ folder, but it needs to be started from the gameroot\ folder. That's why it can't find the fsgame.ltx file. The installation-made shortcut points to \Stalker\bin\xrEngine.exe, but also has the Start in: \Stalker\ parameter.

Vaarna_Aarne

It originally didn't work when I tried the shortcut. Because the problem note said X-Ray engine, I tried the X-Ray engine exe instead.

EDIT: And as previously said, if I run the normal game exe or its shortcut, the game starts up but crashes when it has to load a save or start a new game. What makes it weird is that it worked fine before I got to Jupiter and loaded for the first time once there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom