Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics SRPG Survey

NanoPaladin

Literate
Hello everyone, first post here.

At any rate I have a very short survey about Strategy or Tactical RPG's. My team and I are trying to get a little insight on what players like and dislike about the Genre in general. As well as some ways to innovate the field. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!!

((Only takes a couple minutes to fill out))

http://tinyurl.com/SRPG-Survey

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I wonder if they even know the distinction between a TRPG and a SRPG.

NanoPaladin

Literate
You're basing the development of a game on such shitty survey? Seriously?

No we are not, dont judge something off of a survey.

That is just a feeler so kind of see what a general opinion on those aspects are. The survey itself, yes a bit short and inane it gets what we need for now.

I wonder if they even know the distinction between a TRPG and a SRPG.

Strategy is just a broad term to use for now.

Last edited:

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik
That is just a feeler so kind of see what a general opinion on those aspects are. The survey itself, yes a bit short and inane it gets what we need for now.

It was really open ended. I was a little puzzled "what innovation do you most want to see?" To properly answer that wouldn't I have to pitch my own "innovative' new concept or something?

I opted for extreme brevity and answered "back-to-basics" because I personally find that managing 100 numbers for each character and tons of inventory ends up feeling more like a chore than a game I want to play.

I guess I would've added something about Valkyria Chronicles since its battle system is one of the few major innovations that I would like to see more.

NanoPaladin

Literate

Sorry I am new here.

"How important is story in your strategy game?"

Still has an RPG element in it which is the important aspect here. Dont let that make you think it will detract from combat.

It was really open ended. I was a little puzzled "what innovation do you most want to see?" To properly answer that wouldn't I have to pitch my own "innovative' new concept or something?

You will have to forgive me on that, I typed it up after 12 hours of work really early in the morning so my brain was not working. I do have ideas for innovations, I just did not want to stunt the options for people there, so far there is a bit of a pattern to the answers on that question.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

Still has an RPG element in it which is the important aspect here. Dont let that make you think it will detract from combat.
Even if you add a C&C or minigame layer on top of it, I can't promise I won't leave the game because you're forcing story on me. Harsh but true. Most of the stories out there are not engaging, well written or interesting enough and that's one of the reasons I played less and less jRPGs this days. I do play them, I do like their combat systems, but the teenager-saves-world trope is not for me anymore. Or even the grimdark-saves-himself for a mature spin.

NanoPaladin

Literate

Even if you add a C&C or minigame layer on top of it, I can't promise I won't leave the game because you're forcing story on me. Harsh but true. Most of the stories out there are not engaging, well written or interesting enough and that's one of the reasons I played less and less jRPGs this days. I do play them, I do like their combat systems, but the teenager-saves-world trope is not for me anymore. Or even the grimdark-saves-himself for a mature spin.

Which is fine, not everyone will love every game. We don't really have anything outside of a vague idea right now which is why I was just "feeling around" per say.... what I will say is that its not going to be the standard tropes you see.

AngryKobold

Arcane

At any rate I have a very short survey about Strategy or Tactical RPG's. My team and I are trying to get a little insight on what players like and dislike about the Genre in general. As well as some ways to innovate the field. Any and all responses are greatly appreciated!!

The survey is rubbish. Tell us something about the plans. What's the general concept. What's the scale of project. What's the inspiration (if any). And first of all, What kind of feedback you expect to to get this way. Because likely not useful one. Your approach seems so wrong, I may assume it's gonna end bad no matter what decisions you make. Maybe just give up and try to make a vertical shoot' em up instead. Haven't seen a good one for years.

NanoPaladin

Literate

The survey is rubbish. Tell us something about the plans. What's the general concept. What's the scale of project. What's the inspiration (if any). And first of all, What kind of feedback you expect to to get this way. Because likely not useful one. Your approach seems so wrong, I may assume it's gonna end bad no matter what decisions you make. Maybe just give up and try to make a vertical shoot' em up instead. Haven't seen a good one for years.

Its to get a general idea on what people think, try not to over complicate it. After all it is a small survey, no reason for people to go up in arms over it.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WTF are you talking about??! There's absolutely no difference between SRPG and TRPG. What the hell is a SRPG anyway?
It would be an RPG in which you manage armies at the same time. The closest I can think of would be Birthright : The Gorgon Alliance, but something like Age of Wonders or Kohan might vaguely qualify too.

Topher

Cipher
It will either be like Xcom, be like Jagged Alliance 1.13 or be like crap but if you're going to make crap at least make it pretty like Banner Saga.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

It's not simply a matter of scale. Tactics largely concerns the decisions you make in a fight, while strategy largely concerns the decisions you make when preparing for a fight. Depending on how the game is abstracted it may not be a useful distinction.
I understand what you are saying but you mixed up 'Strategy' with 'Strategic'. What I mean is Tactical and Strategic in a purely military aspect.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Yes, if you want to be anal about it, it isn't only a matter of scale.

victim

Arbiter
Possibly Retarded Vatnik

Since the terms are used interchangeably and you are strictly arguing semantics -- and not even the semantics of the same WORDS -- I'm thinking he isn't the one who wants to be anal about it.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member

Since the terms are used interchangeably and you are strictly arguing semantics -- and not even the semantics of the same WORDS -- I'm thinking he isn't the one who wants to be anal about it.
Fair enough.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom