Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Squeenix to Continue AAA Development, mentions Sleeping Dogs game in development.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
aaa.jpg

Square Enix To Continue Developing AAA Titles Says CEO
Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/1...ping-aaa-titles-says-ceo/#lwdy7FDdvj7ZJpxD.99

“There’s lots of talk in the industry about games becoming services—to be honest, as an expression this doesn’t always resonate with people, especially gamers,” Rogers said. “For us online is a way to facilitate how we’re looking at the word service to build on a game. So we’re focusing on regular content updates, engaging gameplay mechanics, replayability and deep community.”

Last week, Square Enix released their latest financial results, and announced that two of their focuses going forward would be smartphone games from Japan and online games from their western studios. Rogers says that, while online Square Enix titles like Nosgoth are an important part of the company’s portfolio, he’s confident that Square Enix can also continue to develop AAA traditional titles like Tomb Raider.

As an example, Rogers points to Just Cause 2, released in 2010. Three years later, the game still has an active userbase of half-a-million unique players each month, he says. That said, with new Tomb Raider and Deus Ex titles in development for next-generation systems, Rogers says that development will need to be quicker than in the past. In addition to those titles, a new Sleeping Dogs game is in development, too.

Ultimately, however, as pointed out in Square’s financials, online and smartphone gaming will be a big part of Square Enix’s future. In fact, Rogers points to Final Fantasy XIV as an important example of Square Enix actively engaging with their userbase.

“The direct relationship that [producer Naoki] Yoshida and the development team have forged with the players is superb, especially through the beta programs where we really worked with the players to shape the game they wanted,” he says. “This level of interaction and support is important to us and we are welcoming new players to the community all the time.”

DeepOcean

Arcane
Great, Sleeping Dogs was the only GTA style game that I managed to play for long without getting bored.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I don't quite understand the logic behind that. Sleeping GTA clone didn't even sell that great in the first place, yet they're gonna embark to fund a bigger and more expensive sequel again.... These Japanese, they're not learning animals.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't quite understand the logic behind that. Sleeping GTA clone didn't even sell that great in the first place, yet they're gonna embark to fund a bigger and more expensive sequel again.... These Japanese, they're not learning animals.
Nah. Sleeping Dogs was in development hell for years and went through tons of studios and iterations. Now with the engine and assets done, making a sequel is bound to be faster and cheaper.

Turjan

Arcane
Nah. Sleeping Dogs was in development hell for years and went through tons of studios and iterations. Now with the engine and assets done, making a sequel is bound to be faster and cheaper.
Indeed. May as well be that someone took a long hard look at what happened with SR4.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Square bought the game for cheap from Activision, it had most assets ready when the japs got it. Most people expected the game to be shit as it was True Crime: Hong Kong and Square didn't spent one cent on marketing. They are going to recycle alot of assets, make something for cheap and now that people actually know that the game was good, they are going to sell more.

Turjan

Arcane
Indeed. May as well be that someone took a long hard look at what happened with SR4.
What happened?

What was actually meant to be an expansion to SR3 was released as a full game in more or less the same assets, and this to much critical acclaim. Most people I heard talk about the game liked it, too. I don't know the sales numbers, but as you said, the new game must have been much cheaper to make than its predecessor, which means much lower sales are sufficient to break even.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Square bought the game for cheap from Activision, it had most assets ready when the japs got it. Most people expected the game to be shit as it was True Crime: Hong Kong and Square didn't spent one cent on marketing. They are going to recycle alot of assets, make something for cheap and now that people actually know that the game was good, they are going to sell more.

I thought I heard that the game was developed by a "independent" studio who went to different publishers and got turned down to only green lighted Square.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Whatever speculations about the previous development is, I'm kinda glad they didn't kill that IP.
Unlike Sega, at least Squeenix understood the value of their IP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom