Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Square Enix need to create an FF faithful to Amano's art

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
You remind me of menus in restaurants with stupidly long and embarrassing names for food. Zomg, he just called it chocolate cake, not 'Super Deluxe Orgasmic Fudge Ripple Heaven'. Can we kick him out for that? How DARE he.

Machocruz

Arcane
If he said "I'd like a slice o dat c-c!" he'd deserve ridicule and forcible removal from the premises.

Damned Registrations

Yeah, but cake isn't 3 syllables long is it. It's one, which is the reason abbreviating it while speaking would be retarded. Abbreviating Star Craft and Final Fantasy while speaking is not the same. One changes the title from two syllables to two different syllables, the other cuts it from 5 to 2, which is just as reasonable as calling someone Alex instead of Alexandria.

Machocruz

Arcane
If they need to abbreviate a meager 3 syllables, they are lazy and retarded and not ready for adult conversation.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Just how often one would say Final Fantasy that requires such effort to abbreviate? Just say the bloody name already....

Damned Registrations

Well, if you're saying 'I prefer FF6 to FF7'. You'd be cutting out over a third of the syllables. People often compare games in a series to each other, and saying the whole thing twice when everyone knows what you're referring to feels silly, like casually calling someone by their full name. Likewise if it's just a short response. 'Whats your favourite jrpg?' 'FF6.' 'Who is that guy?' 'My friend Barry' (not 'Bartholemew') 'Whats your favourite crpg?' 'Torment.' 'Zomg say the full name you fag! It's PLANESCAPE Torment!!!!one.'

J1M

Arcane
When you put a number after it, it changes the situation.

"The best FF was FF1" is a nonsense statement. You would at most shorten it to "the best Final Fantasy was FF1".

But we weren't talking about specific games and a group consensus is not required for something to be correct.

Machocruz

Arcane
All one needs to say is "I prefer 6 to 7." You would convey this information after FF already turned up in conversation. Can't think of any situation where a normal person would blurt out "I prefer FF6 to FF7!" without incentive.

Damned Registrations

There are other considerations as well. The alliteration of 'final fantasy faithful' is kind of odd and out of place. 'eff-eff faithful' sounds better.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think the closest thing they actually came to translating his art 1:1 into proper game assets was with that scrolling boss fight against Kefka in FF6 finale, although much was obviously lost in due to pixelization and picture below does it even less justice. Speaking of which, what's with that Japanese sameface? Even Amano isn't exempt from it.

ZCRfe.jpg

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I think the closest thing they actually came to translating his art 1:1 into proper game assets was with that scrolling boss fight against Kefka in FF6 finale, although much was obviously lost in due to pixelization and picture below does it even less justice. Speaking of which, what's with that Japanese sameface? Even Amano isn't exempt from it.

ZCRfe.jpg

It's called Bishounen I believe, that standard of male beauty or some crap.
Also, isn't that final fight like one big giant reference to the divine comedy?

Damned Registrations

Androgyny is definitely an aesthetic thing in jap culture. Where the west had corsets and poofy dresses, japan had kimonos, which are basically oversized robes that hide one's figure. And both sexes wear them.

Apparently it mostly stems from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyama_(Japanese_theatre) basically they had (often erotic) theatre, and the actresses were prostitutes as well and there were various problems surrounding that. So female actors were banned, and all female roles were played by young/effeminate men. Who were also prostitutes and much sought after by the patrons. Except now the women want to fuck them too.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Androgyny is definitely an aesthetic thing in jap culture. Where the west had corsets and poofy dresses, japan had kimonos, which are basically oversized robes that hide one's figure. And both sexes wear them.

Apparently it mostly stems from this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyama_(Japanese_theatre) basically they had (often erotic) theatre, and the actresses were prostitutes as well and there were various problems surrounding that. So female actors were banned, and all female roles were played by young/effeminate men. Who were also prostitutes and much sought after by the patrons. Except now the women want to fuck them too.

- What is it with everyone wanting to fuck young, effeminate men?

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Just wanted to say that Final Fantasy 6 (I'll always remember it as FF3, tho) is a fucking outstanding game, and one of my all time favorites. Chrono Trigger just barely edges FF3 out as my all time favorite Super Nintendo game, but both of the main series SNES Final Fantasy games that made it to the US are way up there in my estimation.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Just wanted to say that Final Fantasy 6 (I'll always remember it as FF3, tho) is a fucking outstanding game, and one of my all time favorites. Chrono Trigger just barely edges FF3 out as my all time favorite Super Nintendo game, but both of the main series SNES Final Fantasy games that made it to the US are way up there in my estimation.

I want you.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
If you had a choice between having the thread topic come true or a 'War of the Magi' prequel to FF6 using sprites of similar style and quality to the SNES graphics (... ya know instead of just completely reusing sprites like The After Years did) which would you have? (I bet you're dying to know the story of the frozen esper and the two Ultima/Atma weapons... I am...)

What is it with everyone wanting to fuck young, effeminate men?

Plain women are boring, I guess. Women are expected to look fuckable.

Only downside is the low difficulty. You have just too many ways to make your characters more awesome, and the game just can't keep up.

Damned Registrations

Which is a little sad, because the combat systems totally had the tools to do it. They just didn't balance things correctly. Though I hear FF4 hardtype actual is, and there are tons of difficulty patches for games starting to float around these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom