Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Spoony plays Final Fantasy XIII

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So, is the story really as horrible and nonsensical as Spoony makes it out to be?
FFXIII's story is about a group of random people being chosen and receiving magical powers to save the world. But instead of joyfully accepting it like every other story ever, they refuse it, threat it as a curse and spend most of the game trying to escape from it.

IMHO, that's a goddamn brilliant storyline. Knowing that, Lightning describing an area as "training areas for heroes" and getting pissed at it makes total sense (obviously Spoony is busy trying too hard to make fun of it to notice that). The problem is that it's baldy executed, being buried under too much exposition about stuff that don't really matter, too many forced "epic moments", and characters that simply don't work, like Vanille.

And of course, even if it was a massive success in its proposal, I doubt that the weaboos & otakus that it's aimed at would like it. It's sad, there are really good ideas inside Square-Enix, but they all seem chained down by the need to make AAAAA+ RPGs, that sell billions and use every cheap trick in the book to cater to their retarded otaku audiences. Vide FF XII and Monocled Sky-Pirate Balthier being replaced by Tidus-clone Vaan because of focus groups.

Bro, this story, is not only bad. It's brain hemorhage-inducing piece of utter crap. Practically nothing made sense there. Not a damn thing. It was disjointed convoluted incoherent mess. What the fuck happened? You cannot explain this failure of basic human congintion by "but they wanted to make AAA title".

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I'm not doing that, I agree that they failed horribly at delivering what they intended, and there aren't enough scapegoats in Japan to save them.

But I still think that the story the game was trying (and failed) to tell is great.

Mrowak

Arcane
I'm not doing that, I agree that they failed horribly at delivering what they intended, and there aren't enough scapegoats in Japan to save them.

But I still think that the story the game was trying (and failed) to tell is great.

The plot, maybe. But the story is a failure. Complete and utter disaster. You'd have to rewrite 90% of events for this calamity to work on any level.

Machocruz

Arcane
So, is the story really as horrible and nonsensical as Spoony makes it out to be? I haven't played a JRPG in ages and thought about picking one up again, just to spice my gaming up a little. But the way Spoony describes the story, it really seems like a complete disaster. He has a tendency to exaggerate though.. so, should I give it a try?

It has some of the worst writing I've ever seen in an entertainment, on a technical and creative level. The writers seem to assume that the player cares about their characters from the get-go, so you are presented with these maudlin emotional moments, sad piano and everything, that were not earned through character development or dramatic build-up. It's basically SE writers doing their superficial take on already superficial Hollywood script writing. These moments fall completely flat because they are unearned and don't have a hint of truth to them. And the 'world-building' is just daft. Nothing has any rhyme or reason. For some people the fantasy genre is a license to pull random ingredients out of their ass and mash them together, but I can't recall a good, enduring fantasy tale that does this, that isn't grounded in something relatable. Even early FF games were coherent and cohesive. I'd go so far as to call FF13 grotesque and cynical, if it were not for the probability that it's just inept and amateur.

Is it more pants-on-head retarded than the typical video game story? Fundamentally, no. But what makes it a particularly sterling example of shit is that it confuses busy and garish for complex and imaginative. A noisy idiotic story is more offensive than a quiet idiotic story. Saints Row 2 is My Neighbor Totoro compared to FF13.

Delterius

Arcane

Some of the issues with FF XIII's are fundamental, storytelling concerns. Therefore, I think its safe to say that Square didn't really have a story ready for the game. Rather some good concepts. If so, calling it a story might give the impression that you're defending a great deal more of the game than you probably should.
Toriyama's obsession with Lightning is uncomfortable and reminds me of Sakamoto and Samus, but we could really use insider information. I bet there is some premium crazy.

I wish I could provide you with what you asked*, but have fun nonetheless.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wish I could provide you with what you answered, but have fun nonetheless.

After the midnight launch of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII in Japan, the crowd of people eagerly awaiting the game turned into another crowd of people wanting to return the game after finding out it is not a dress-up simulator.

I started up the game and suddenly I had to fight things,” said Hitoshi Tomimoto, “Five minutes of this and I shut it off and headed straight back to the store. This is not what was advertised on the internet. You don’t create a pretty girl to have her fight monsters. I saw all the costumes she could wear and I was transfixed by the possibilities which made me want to get the game in the first place. I was hoping instead that it might have been a dating simulator after the first fight, but then I realized I got tricked into buying a dirty action game.”

“This is quite possibly the worst joke mankind has ever pulled on me,” said Masashi Izawa, “I’m not afraid to admit this. I wanted to masturbate to this game. I already did to the pictures I saw of Lightning online and I waited patiently for this game’s release. I had my room set up with candles and it was going to be perfect. My desire was so strong, I kept playing even after I found out it was not a dress-up game just so I could get to the costumes. Then I realized the game wouldn’t let me see her panties. My patience had run out. This is why I’m in line waiting to return this game.”

:lol:

Oh. My. God.

It's a parody site, right? :lol: Good stuff.

Mrowak

Arcane
I wish I could provide you with what you answered, but have fun nonetheless.

After the midnight launch of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII in Japan, the crowd of people eagerly awaiting the game turned into another crowd of people wanting to return the game after finding out it is not a dress-up simulator.

I started up the game and suddenly I had to fight things,” said Hitoshi Tomimoto, “Five minutes of this and I shut it off and headed straight back to the store. This is not what was advertised on the internet. You don’t create a pretty girl to have her fight monsters. I saw all the costumes she could wear and I was transfixed by the possibilities which made me want to get the game in the first place. I was hoping instead that it might have been a dating simulator after the first fight, but then I realized I got tricked into buying a dirty action game.”

“This is quite possibly the worst joke mankind has ever pulled on me,” said Masashi Izawa, “I’m not afraid to admit this. I wanted to masturbate to this game. I already did to the pictures I saw of Lightning online and I waited patiently for this game’s release. I had my room set up with candles and it was going to be perfect. My desire was so strong, I kept playing even after I found out it was not a dress-up game just so I could get to the costumes. Then I realized the game wouldn’t let me see her panties. My patience had run out. This is why I’m in line waiting to return this game.”

:lol:

Oh. My. God.

It's a parody site, right? :lol: Good stuff.

Knowing otaku "culture" that sounds p. legit. Let's look into the mind of the creator of this mess:

Toriyama said:
Masaru Suzuki (designer): Toriyama-san demanded that we quit working on that and focus solely on Lightning once more.

Toriyama: I’ll admit that I said those things. There’s no shame in wanting to continue the story of a character that so many people love.

Goto: I would argue that only you love her, Toriyama-san.

Toriyama: That may be the case. But I do love her with all my heart. It’s the reason I wanted every little imperfection corrected in Lightning Returns so of course I wanted her breasts to be bigger and for them to jiggle. It’s only natural for a man to want his woman to look perfect.

Goto: I spent so many nights working on the improved model.

Suzuki: I told him that it was very unhealthy for Goto-san to spend so many hours on that character model. Instead of addressing my concerns, Toriyama-san told me to come up with a husband-like character that would look like himself.

Toriyama: That’s not going in the game though. It’s for my own personal use because I really do want to marry her.

(few seconds of silence)

Toriyama: What? I mean, if I can’t find a girl like her in real life, I will just make a marriage simulation game with Lightning so I can die happy.

Goto: I can never tell if you are serious when you say these things.

Toriyama: I am serious. In fact, I already have a few plans for this game. I doubt I will find a girl in real life who could match Lightning’s beauty and personality.

I hope that he is saying all that to appeal to otakus. Otherwise we have another nutjob on the ward.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There are still people on the dex who haven't heard of P4RGaming?

Yeah it's a parody site.

Delterius

Arcane
Well, not everyone wades into the awesomeness of the Second Best Thread Ever.

But really. Trust me on this. That's all not very far from the truth.

Oh, and by the way.

Anyone has seen this video yet? If you jump to 4:00 you'll see the definition of a sad FF fan.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Those quotes are fake, these are real:

"Yes, her chest jiggles," explained Nobuhiro Goto. "Since everyone can decide what costume she’ll wear, you can make sure it does (laughs). By the way, since Lightning swings her arm when you change her weapon in the menu screen, that’s a recommended action for sure-fire jiggling! To see it even better it could be useful to equip a small shield. Look forward to it!"

And Lightning did get a boob job for Lightning Returns.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Yeah, P4 is The Onion of gaming news. Everyone knows Toriyama thinks of Lightning as his daughter, he would never want to marry her, even when the game has revealing costumes and boob physics.

I just watched part 6 and I'm still :retarded: at combat system. It fucking plays itself. So not only whole game is a corridor but there isn't any actual gameplay in this game. Like what? Really? Those developers at Square must be trippin on some serious shit and I didn't even mention plot.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Knowing otaku "culture" that sounds p. legit. Let's look into the mind of the creator of this mess:

Toriyama said:
Masaru Suzuki (designer): Toriyama-san demanded that we quit working on that and focus solely on Lightning once more.

Toriyama: I’ll admit that I said those things. There’s no shame in wanting to continue the story of a character that so many people love.

Goto: I would argue that only you love her, Toriyama-san.

Toriyama: That may be the case. But I do love her with all my heart. It’s the reason I wanted every little imperfection corrected in Lightning Returns so of course I wanted her breasts to be bigger and for them to jiggle. It’s only natural for a man to want his woman to look perfect.

Goto: I spent so many nights working on the improved model.

Suzuki: I told him that it was very unhealthy for Goto-san to spend so many hours on that character model. Instead of addressing my concerns, Toriyama-san told me to come up with a husband-like character that would look like himself.

Toriyama: That’s not going in the game though. It’s for my own personal use because I really do want to marry her.

(few seconds of silence)

Toriyama: What? I mean, if I can’t find a girl like her in real life, I will just make a marriage simulation game with Lightning so I can die happy.

Goto: I can never tell if you are serious when you say these things.

Toriyama: I am serious. In fact, I already have a few plans for this game. I doubt I will find a girl in real life who could match Lightning’s beauty and personality.

I hope that he is saying all that to appeal to otakus. Otherwise we have another nutjob on the ward.

I bet 90% of developers out there wish they could be as baller as Toriyama. Think about it; he, if the above is true, essentially convinced Square-Enix to go along with a trilogy of games centered around his waifu character, even though they showed generally agreed upon and consistent decline in both quality and sales. And from what I've gathered so far Lightning Returns ending is in it's own league entirely.

Man, all this just makes me long for good old Final Fantasy before the whole pandering movement took over.

xFHoxTr.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
I bet 90% of developers out there wish they could be as baller as Toriyama. Think about it; he, if the above is true, essentially convinced Square-Enix to go along with a trilogy of games centered around his waifu character, even though they showed generally agreed upon and consistent decline in both quality and sales. And from what I've gathered so far Lightning Returns ending is in it's own league entirely.

Man, all this just makes me long for good old Final Fantasy before the whole pandering movement took over.

xFHoxTr.jpg

I guess FF as a franchise ended. The good news is what was actually good about the series moved to Bravely Default (I think - I haven't played it yet).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I guess FF as a franchise ended. The good news is what was actually good about the series moved to Bravely Default (I think - I haven't played it yet).

There's a demo out in the 3DS's eShop. It looks pretty decent so far, except for the shoe-horned in Square Enix stupidity. This includes: summoning your friends online, microtransactions (of one item, it's still an annoyance) and rebuilding a town that requires hours of upgrading time because you need friends to speed it up.

That said, if the game and it's sequel sells well Square Enix said they might make it a series. This may be a bad thing.

As a franchise, Final Fantasy is on some serious life-support. Their future games are probably gonna turn into some weird ARPG mess that'll just split the fans even MORE than they already are. Hilarity will ensue.

TigerKnee

Arcane
So, is the story really as horrible and nonsensical as Spoony makes it out to be? I haven't played a JRPG in ages and thought about picking one up again, just to spice my gaming up a little. But the way Spoony describes the story, it really seems like a complete disaster. He has a tendency to exaggerate though.. so, should I give it a try?
Couple of things:

1) Anyone who can't figure out what phrases like L'Ciel, Fal'Cie and etc means just from context of word usage alone is a moron. It really isn't that confusing at all, but I guess this is par for the course.

2) SpoonyOne seems to be intentionally not suspending any disbelief at all for the storyline, leading to 10 minutes rant on how it's retarded to have Snow fist fight robots, but when Sabin suplexes a train it's okay.

3) That being said, the plot has seeds of an interesting idea, but the execution is completely fucked. The start is actually sort of interesting with those Nazi Death Camp imagery, but then the characters spend most of the time aimless and with no direction until the plot magically leads them to the next area for the entire mid-game, and then the end-game is shonen-eseque "YES WE HUMANS CAN BREAK THE CHAINS OF FATE AND DEFEAT THE GODS WITH THE POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.

Also, don't give it a try, not because of the story, but because the gameplay is just fucking boring. People keep saying the battle system is good, I'm not seeing it.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

I actually wish SQUARE would have approached Obsidian to do the writing/story of this. It would have been exceptional.

You'd have to rewrite 90% of events for this calamity to work on any level.
Must be why FFXIII-2 is about time-travel. :lol:

And you've got to love how the time-travel plot has nothing to do with what happened in first game. Haven't played more pointless sequel in my life.

Well, there's Mass Effect 2. Go fight this new enemy while you work for this new organization. What was that about Reapers?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

Nah, I think it's just the case of it not being made for me anymore. I didn't sign-up for J-pop idols and belts & zippers, but I guess there's an audience out there for those things right now, particularly in Japan. I just hope BD is actually good because there have been some talks about intruding microtransactions and whatnot, albeit probably exaggerated because of the internets.

2) SpoonyOne seems to be intentionally not suspending any disbelief at all for the storyline, leading to 10 minutes rant on how it's retarded to have Snow fist fight robots, but when Sabin suplexes a train it's okay.

I don't know, but there's a fine line between suspension of disbelief and zero coherency behind something. Blitzball from FF10 comes to mind.

I actually wish SQUARE would have approached Obsidian to do the writing/story of this. It would have been exceptional.
It would've probably caused the entire universe to implode. Obsidian in charge of FF writing? Dayum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom