Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Spoilers] Ending Discussion

J1M

Arcane
Disclaimer: I played the game once, it is possible I missed some options or some choices cut off certain outcomes.

Setting aside that the main character is a 'Watcher', which is just a lame plot device to tell exposition through flashbacks, I would like to discuss the ending and why it felt lackluster.

Inside the barbarian city you are forced to research and seek out the blessing of one of the gods. If you attempt to complete the game without doing this, your character dies and the story ends. (Would like to be wrong about this.) This establishes the gods as very tangible things. They are real enough to have a conversation with.

A few maps later, we learn that while the recycling of souls is a natural phenomenon, the gods themselves are artificial constructs created by an ancient civilization. One of them was set to low-power mode by the others and has been working for a very long time to reverse this power dynamic.

We are told that the villain performs acts of brutality and sacrifice to maintain the status quo of the artificial gods because it somehow is better for mankind overall. This is a pretty extreme tough-love position. One that would normally be consistent with forcing the truth on people, not perpetuating a lie. It's inconsistent.

A) I was expecting some sort of option here to skip the final confrontation and have the main character's old soul fall back into line with the villain.

After killing the villain, the character has four options:

B) Return souls to the bodies they should have entered. The lack of mention of what will happen to the souls of the hallowborn that were killed is an oversight.

C) Return souls to the cycle. The basic 'good' option.

D) Divide soul energy equally among the living. A strange and very temporary outcome.

E) Erase the stored souls. Without more information about how reincarnation works, this is a jarring option. If souls can be destroyed, does that mean they can be created? The cycle/wheel discussions suggest that it is a zero-sum game and this just reduces the number of souls available on the planet forever. If so, this is a more evil outcome than A.

In addition to the missing option A to help revive Woedeca (sp), there are some other approaches with the machine that stand out as missing.

F) Kill Thanos and take his place as the Queen of Mystery's favored soul that can remember past lives and jump between bodies. One has to assume that once the souls from this small region of the world have been collected enough that she is revived/powered back on the hallowborn problem will also go away. This is the most obvious plot resolution for a cruel player character.

G) The player has just been given the revelation that the gods are artificial constructs created by man. The option to undo one or more of them permanently is missing. The lack of this option gives the impression that the writers agree with Thanos, and take the position that mankind cannot be trusted unless it believes in a deity. A somewhat offensive position to take regarding atheists and actually quite boring compared to the way the topic of "fantasy world atheist" was handled in Mask of the Betrayer.

Bonus questions:
Why does the hallowborn problem not affect animals, which are also known to have souls? With godlikes and furries, where is the dividing line between kith and mammal?

If trapping as many souls as possible is the goal, why build machines to trap 100% of souls and leave them on for 15 years? This causes people to move away/stop trying/die out. A soul-catcher set to 50% would actually be much more effective.

Along the same lines, why not build a soul catcher that snatches the soul at the moment of death instead of birth? There are ghosts and shades literally infesting every square inch of the Dyrwood, so they clearly aren't missed by man or god when they don't return to the cycle right away.

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Here, let me answer in behalf of Obsidian

i-dunno-lol_1_.jpg

No seriously, this was all made up as they went along. There is no logic to be found here.

Edit:

Also, you didn't read much now did you? The lore tries to explain the soul thingamingy as well, more souls are created (d'uh, raising population). Blah blah.

There are six alternative choices at the end.

Last edited:

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I DID get an option to revive Woedica. Before going to the machine Skaen (her ally) spoke to me and offered the suggestion.

Here are the options I got:

1) Return the souls to the Hollowborn (Hylea option)

2) Return the souls to the cycle (Berath option I'm assuming)

3) Destroy the souls (Rymrgand option)

4) Use the souls to strengthen others (that hunter god, can't remember his name)

5) Give them to Woedica as originally intended, becoming her new Favored

6) Scatter the souls so no one knows where they go (Wael option - I think you only get it if you bury her scroll)

As for not being able to challenge or kill the gods, I think it's simply a matter of you not being powerful enough. Eothas was only killed with the aid of another god. Having a bunch of souls just isn't enough. If that's to be a plot thread, it will be in future games. The ending hints at more, so who knows.

I'm rather butthurt about this (your G ending), as it were. When I spoke with that Apostate woman, the one that got tortured for her heretical teachings, I made sure to pick all the answers that (should have) led to my ending of choice: that of a godless world. You see, the last encounter with Thaos, and some of the dialogue with him, had this futile struggle against nihilism written all over it. He was fighting to ensure that no one ever learn about the gods and their provenance, probably because he didn't trust people to be able to cope with all that futility, or maybe he was the weak one. Either way, from where I'm standing, this game deserved a nihilism ending, leaving the pious fucks and the zealots empty-handed and uncertain.

J1M

Arcane
Locking out option F based on something my character did in a small village was a strange choice.

lurker3000

Arcane
Option G was not there because the machine was used to make the gods not destroy them. The last flashback showed Thaos about to create Woedica. He also says there is a machine dedicated to each god in different locations. I think they imply that creating the gods took all the souls of the derp people hence the reason that only their ruins and machines remained. These ruins were then protected by lesser people who believed the gods created them.

He reactivated the machine to try to restore Woedica's place as leader of the gods - something she apparently lost in a fight with the other gods. All the flashbacks with the elf girl are about how Thaos and his crowd were spreading the new gods after they created them.

Anyway destroying the gods was never an option. You could tell people they were created by man but they would still exist.

J1M

Arcane
Given that the game already includes "non-cannon" endings such as the player failing to stop Thanos, there's nothing really out of place in allowing the player to pick an ending where they use the soul machine to kill Woedica. Other gods can respond how they like in the ending montage.

You could still get the option to side with Wael even if you didn't help him hide his scroll. I think I got the option because my rogue had a drifter background. When I get home I'll check to see what trait activated that dialogue, but I know I took the scroll back to the library.

lurker3000

Arcane
Given that the game already includes "non-cannon" endings such as the player failing to stop Thanos,

There is a way to just let Thaos do his thing? I know you could take his place and complete the mission but didn't know you could let him go.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Come on now. There's more then enough choices at the end, including some hidden by default. Then the ending slides have like couple hundred of combinations, how the fuck is that not enough?

For me theproblem with PIllars is that C&C is very nearly exclusive to ending and ending alone. Rest of it is some minimal conversation changes, or choices that aren't interesting at all - like they whole Raedrik thing - pick one guy that's a dick or the other guy that's a dick. What the fuck is up with that.

The ending though? Give me a break, they went above and beyond of what I expected.

Starwars

Arcane
IT'S NOT ENOUGH FOR THE CODEX BITCH (except if the game is a golden oldie, then we can forgive it of course)!
... yeah, I think it's fine to complain a bit if one feels that "logical"endings are missing though, but the ending slides are well done. But basically:
:butthurt:

I just finished my replay of the game, was quite pleased that Skaen contacted me after I had supported the Skaen cult in Dyrford, that was awesome actually. Wasn't very awesome that I didn't get any special dialogue as a Skaenite Priest though. In general, I think being a Priest should've really come into play in the conversations near the end, missed opportunity.
But I'm very pleased with the endings and its permutations. They're very well done overall

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
You must've loved ME3 endings then. The same, but twice as many!

O.K., since this is not "the ending" but a "break", I guess it is petty to complain about minor things. Like the second major quest hub completely missing from the slides. r000fles!

Starwars

Arcane
You must've loved ME3 endings then. The same, but twice as many!

O.K., since this is not "the ending" but a "break", I guess it is petty to complain about minor things. Like the second major quest hub completely missing from the slides. r000fles!

I don't play poor games like you so I never played ME3 /Volourn
It's true though that Twin Elms should've had a slide. This happened in New Vegas also, I can't exactly remember but there was some settlement in the game that's missing at the end.

Still think the game does a damn good job of wrapping itself up though, much moreso than most games do. Certainly true among the IE games but compared to other, more choice heavy games, as well.

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I would have liked to have the option to use the souls for myself and become a demigod or something. Oh well...

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
It's true though that Twin Elms should've had a slide. This happened in New Vegas also, I can't exactly remember but there was some settlement in the game that's missing at the end.

Still think the game does a damn good job of wrapping itself up though, much moreso than most games do. Certainly true among the IE games but compared to other, more choice heavy games, as well.

I can see the need to not make any radical world-changing endings when you have expansions and sequels in mind, but imho it is really silly that they skimmed on the ending slides. There aren't really that many variations. If they are planning to carry over the choices to the next games, they could've at least covered the minor side quests that will have no impact on the future games. Those were the cases where people were really weighing their options, after all. As it stands, none of the ending slides left me wanting to go back and redo my choices for a different ending. Every quest had an obviously optimal ending achieved already.

And the god choices you could simply reload from a single save at the machine. Just like in all of those Bioware games we've been ridiculing all those years.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
You know what is also really silly? How impotent those gods turn out if you doublecross them.

I 'allied' with Berath but in the end sent the souls someplace random following Wael's advice. Berath was very not amused and the ending slide said that Berath's avatards are now prowling the highways looking for random people to kill.

Uhm, ok? So what? I should care about that?

And of course the almighty smiter can't smite me and has to settle for random people because...?

oh right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
G) The player has just been given the revelation that the gods are artificial constructs created by man. The option to undo one or more of them permanently is missing.

Why would this option be there? You can use the machine to decide what to do with the souls, it gives you no special power over gods or anything else other than the souls themselves.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom