Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Splitting APs into Combat & Movement points

obediah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
obediah said:
It's more natural to vary the cost of actions rather than the number of action points.
The system is abstract. Unless I "embrace the decimals" like you suggested earlier, reducing or increasing the cost of an action by one could be too much, resulting either in overpowering (FO Bonus Rate of Fire perk) or underpowering. Adding/removing a few points based on stats is more natural, imo.

Definitely, without real numbers, youd need to multiple AP x10 or so, and I have a natural aversion to inflation (jRPGs where you start at lvl 20 w/ 24,000 hp anyone?). Maybe sometime, I'll put my free time where my mouth is and see how combersome the system the varying cost idea would be.

If you do go with separate pools, I would like to see them tied together somehow. Moving and acting aren't independent actions.
ToEE (see the post above) will do? Movement points naturally flow into Combat points.[/quote]

Seems reasonable and intuitive. If I'm understanding correctly, you'd be able to use your AP as extra MP, but not the other way around? That sounds reasonable.

RGE

Liturgist
Separate pools for moving and attacking seems like a real good idea for stuff that can be done on the run, such as using firearms and throwing stuff and running after a fleeing enemy and hack them down. To prevent the old hit'n run (and then stay out of effective attack range) from Fallout I'd like to suggest that movement only be allowed before attacking, so that charging would be possible, but fleeing would force the person to forego their attack. Assuming that someone wouldn't want to run up to an enemy, make an attack and then keep moving to another enemy, like some kind of cavalry shock. I remember doing that in NWN once and it felt quite satisfactory. But I guess stuff like that could be split up into two rounds. And bows should probably be impossible to use after movement.

Drain

Scholar
obediah said:
... you'd be able to use your AP as extra MP, but not the other way around? That sounds reasonable.
Why? Movement takes time. Assuming that you have enough time, why you would not be able to spend it on another attack?

MichiK

Novice
Patron
Someone already said it - APs are meant to represent time. So seperating movment from actions is kind of bizarre, since you are basically saying trhat if I just "move" and don't act, its like I have less 'time' than when I move and act...

I agree with the person who posted that there should be X 'phases' / seconds in an action round, and a person should consume a variable amount of phases based on their stats, condition, and equipment being used.

While this might be a bit more complex on the back end, it can be shown elegantly in the UI.

For movement, show the grid like in the previous thread, and on each tile, show the number of 'Phases' consumed (or remaining). The calculation is based on characters speed, if legs/abdomen wounded, and possibly terrain type.

For combat, show the amount of phases used just like you currently have it in your UI, and have it based on weapon, character's agility, char's reklevant combat skill(s), and damage to head, arems, etc.

galsiah

Erudite
Some interesting ideas, but I don't think there's too much point in having detailed discussions on this unless the requirements are known.

The first step should be to identify exactly what the system needs to achieve:
What influence should different stats have on the gameplay?
What influence should different weapons / armour have?
How many differect grades of such equipment will there be?
How much variation in stats will there be between characters?
Should combat be balanced equally on average for all characters, or should some types usually find it easier?
Is it ok for some characters to suck at combat? - will there always be other options?
How restricting should stats be on choice of weaponry / armour?
Should stamina have an effect over long battles? - if so how?
Should some actions be performable while moving? If so which ones and with what penalties, if any?

These questions can (and I think should) all be answered without mentioning AP / MP, and before deciding on any movement mechanics. In my view, discussion of the mechanics and presentation should be secondary to discussion of the content of the system. If it turns out that everything you want can be expressed easily through just AP and without using numbers over 10, that's great. If not, then I don't think starting by working out presentation / mechanics, then trying to shoe-horn your requirements in, is the way forward.

Here's a few elements I think should probably be included:
(1) Characters have different speeds at different tasks: running speed is not the same as weapon speed.
(2) Characters have different speeds with different weapons: a dagger is much faster with higher dexterity, but not much with strength; a two-handed sword is much faster with higher strength, but not much with dexterity.
(3) Weight of equipment / armour worn should affect running speed differently depending on stats.
(4) Armour worn could also affect weapon speed to a degree (??).
(5) Movement speeds in different directions should be fairly realistic - the grid shouldn't feel like a chessboard.
(6) Some actions should be performable on the run, for instance:
Throwing some weapon types (with accuracy penalties, but possibly a damage bonus??).
Readying a heavy sword swing.
Drawing a small weapon.
Dropping a weapon.

Anyway, I think more detail is needed on requirements before you decide on the design specifics. I think that including most of what I'd like to see would be impractical with very small AP / MP numbers (or without using decimals). Maybe such systems would be less intuitive to start with, but I think the versatility / diversity would be worth it.

How about allowing the player to specify all movements / actions he wishes to make, before making any. The AP / MP costs could be calculated (even if very complicated / involving decimals...) easily and shown to the player. That way the player wouldn't need to do his own calculations, or to commit to any actions / moves before having all the information. In the XCOM games, such player calculation was frequently necessary, and was annoying, but it certainly didn't ruin the game. I think doing such preliminary calculation automatically would be a step forward (still not ideal though to be fair), and still allow the system to be as complex as it needed to be.

A simpler system that does everything you want it to is the ideal of course. I'm just in favour of sacrificing the simplicity before sacrificing the functionality.

bryce777

Erudite
I think the basic problem is that running and attacking have pretty much nothing to do with each other. The way action points work in fallout is pretty stilted and unnatural, to say the least.

It makes much more sense as done in jagged alliance because aiming is more of a skill/talent based thing, but for melee, an axe is going to swing much faster for a strong character for example.

So, I think you need to split off movement and tie it to a separate stat.

That way, you can have a guy who runs slow but attacks quick, or vice versa, and have weapons that are sped up more by a good dexterity than others...like a character with a high dexterity might be able to throw a dozen shuriken in one round, but could still only swing an axe twice, or maybe even just once in a round if he is weak.

bryce777

Erudite
To make hings clear, action points would not come from a separate pool necessarily.

You would get the same number of time units, regardless, perhaps. Let's say 100. then, the fast runner can spend 6 time usits to move a step, but the slow runner spens 15.

However, it might both cost them 33 time units to attack with an axe.

Perhaps the slow runner has a high dexterity, though. That means he could attack draw his gun in 10 time units, point towards the target in 5, and his aiming per time unit spent does more good than the other guy's.

bryce777

Erudite
I think if you split it into two different pools, it would be too munchkinny.

I don't think it's very realistic to do most fighting while running, or even to get stuff out of your pack while running.

I suppose that is basically what DnD does on the abstract level, though. But, in DnD once you start attacking your movement is over, and if you move more than 5 steps, you can only do a charge attack without all your extra attacks. So, that sort of counterbalances it.

I suppose that is one way to do things, but it is also silly because there is no reason not to attack, then move, then attack, instead of always moving then attacking.

Attacking then backing away makes sense because if you are much faster than someone else, then you could easily use that tactic.

The problem with fallout is that there are no interrupts, so that you they basically have no chance to respond at all, whereas in real life they might be able to respond (though it's not too likely since they are slow).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
galsiah said:
What influence should different stats have on the gameplay?
Stats define APs, HPs, Skill Points, affect skills, and alternative* checks.

*Checks usually have 2 options: a stat check or a skill check, i.e. you may be cute (high Cha) as a button, but dumb, or butt-ugly but well-spoken (high Etiquette)

What influence should different weapons / armour have?
Weapons within a group (i.e. all hammers) have similar traits (a knockdown chance, that grows with the skill). Individual weapons have different AP costs (short sword - 4, two-hander - 6), and properties (penalty to block with a two-hander)

Armor makes you easier to hit, but harder to get (Damage Resistance); also may slow your down (max AP limit)

How many differect grades of such equipment will there be?

How much variation in stats will there be between characters?
6 attributes: 3 physical, 3 mental; 40 points; can't increase stats later
http://www.rpgcodex.com/screenshot.php? ... system.jpg

Should combat be balanced equally on average for all characters, or should some types usually find it easier?
Fighters would find it a lot easier then diplomats, but I assume you are talking about fighters exclusively, so each way: light fighter, heavy fighter, ranged fighter, etc should have advantages & disadvantages (which I believe they do have).

Is it ok for some characters to suck at combat? - will there always be other options?
Yes and yes

No restrictions, however, a slow character (low Dodge) should stick with heavy armor, as he would be quickly slaughtered in light armor.

Should stamina have an effect over long battles? - if so how?
No. At least it doesn't have any affects in AoD

Should some actions be performable while moving? If so which ones and with what penalties, if any?
None at the moment.

These questions can (and I think should) all be answered without mentioning AP / MP, and before deciding on any movement mechanics.
I think the answers are irrelevant, but since you've asked...

In my view, discussion of the mechanics and presentation should be secondary to discussion of the content of the system. If it turns out that everything you want can be expressed easily through just AP and without using numbers over 10, that's great. If not, then I don't think starting by working out presentation / mechanics, then trying to shoe-horn your requirements in, is the way forward.
In my view, mechanics come first, anything else comes second. If some content should be tweaked to accomodate changed mechanics, so be it.

(1) Characters have different speeds at different tasks: running speed is not the same as weapon speed.
Obviously

(2) Characters have different speeds with different weapons: a dagger is much faster with higher dexterity, but not much with strength; a two-handed sword is much faster with higher strength, but not much with dexterity.
See my answer to a similar suggestion:
The system is abstract. Unless I "embrace the decimals" like you suggested earlier, reducing or increasing the cost of an action by one could be too much, resulting either in overpowering (FO Bonus Rate of Fire perk) or underpowering. Adding/removing a few points based on stats is more natural, imo.

(3) Weight of equipment / armour worn should affect running speed differently depending on stats.
Running speed is irrelevant. I don't think you'd be running much in combat, and nobody cares how fast you run when you are not in combat.

(4) Armour worn could also affect weapon speed to a degree (??).
Then nobody would wear armor

(5) Movement speeds in different directions should be fairly realistic - the grid shouldn't feel like a chessboard.
The grid IS a chessboard, and there is nothing wrong with that. If you are talking about the diagonal cost, then I agree (one of the reasons for the change)

(6) Some actions should be performable on the run, for instance:
Throwing some weapon types (with accuracy penalties, but possibly a damage bonus??).
Readying a heavy sword swing.
Drawing a small weapon.
Dropping a weapon.
Unless it adds something to combat. It's TB combat. It's not RT where you tell your guy to run, and use this time to go through the inventory. In TB each action is specific, it's either run, or move, or attack, or attack while you are running. So, first, that would require a different animation, second, there should be a reason to choose "attack on the run" instead of, say, power attack. Like I said earlier, it could work great in a game with dominant firearms, but not in a game like AoD.

How about allowing the player to specify all movements / actions he wishes to make, before making any.
Why? What would be gained by it? All I see is the downside

A simpler system that does everything you want it to is the ideal of course. I'm just in favour of sacrificing the simplicity before sacrificing the functionality.
Well, if anything, simplicity is what I had before. The functionality hasn't been sacrificed, only improved.

Drain

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
No restrictions, however, a slow character (low Dodge) should stick with heavy armor, as he would be quickly slaughtered in light armor.
Does armor affect your dodging ability?

galsiah

Erudite
VD: All your answers to my questions are answers to how the gameplay mechanics are affected. Not how the gameplay - i.e. the player's experience - is affected. I'm saying that these questions (and others - these were just examples) should be answered in the absense of any game terminology.

What I'd like is an explanation of what you want to achieve, not how you're achieving it so far (though that's useful too if it can't be changed).

I think the player's experience has to come first: you design the gameplay mechanics to aim for a player experience that is fun/challenging/rewarding/... You clearly have such an idea of what you're aiming at, or you'd have no idea what mechanics to use. What I'm saying is that a clearer, more precise idea of the gameplay you're aiming for would be helpful before you mention mechanics.
Maybe you have such a clear idea yourself, but I don't. I don't think asking for contributions / thoughts from others is as efficient as it can be if not everyone knows the "vision" - for want of a less stupid word. If the hive-mind were clear on this vision, I think you'd get better and more focused suggestions.

As a specific example, you can't decide if embracing the decimals (or the equivalent) is wise, without knowing everthing you want from the system. If you're going to need the versatility later, there's no point in going for artificial simplicity now, when you could make use of a more complex system. If you're sure that everything can be achieved without that particular versatility, then that's fine: but for that you need a clear idea of exactly what you want from the gameplay.

Personally I'm fairly sure I couldn't achieve what I'd want from a system without "embracing the decimals". I think you're fairly sure you don't want to do that, which means we're not on the same page. I don't know what page you're on without a clearer explanation. There's no point in my trying to persuade you to produce my ideal system if it's not what you're after. If I had a clearer picture of the overall effect you're going for I'd be able to narrow down my contributions to the ideas that fit with your goals. I think others would too.
At the moment all I can do is try to argue for my ideal system, but that's pointless, since that will not be your ideal system.

Vault Dweller

Developer
galsiah said:
VD: All your answers to my questions are answers to how the gameplay mechanics are affected. Not how the gameplay - i.e. the player's experience - is affected. I'm saying that these questions (and others - these were just examples) should be answered in the absense of any game terminology.
It's easy to figure out how the player is affected if you know the mechanics (i.e. my responses), no?

For example, I wanted to give the player a reason to keep light armor instead of discarding it for a heavier set. So, I designed mechanics that support two opposite gameplay styles: light & fast vs heavy & slow. My answers show why and how.

I don't think asking for contributions / thoughts from others is as efficient as it can be if not everyone knows the "vision" - for want of a less stupid word.
I think that solutions based on abstract concepts in this case are better, but that's my opinion. For example, I can talk about how to improve TB combat in general, discussing various implementations, and then decide what I can use or what fits my game. A concept should be polished on the abstract level, before it could be fine-tuned further.

So, my question basically was, if a game, any game, would have 2 separate AP pools, for whatever stupid reasons, what would be pros/cons/better ways to implement/etc.

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
It's easy to figure out how the player is affected if you know the mechanics (i.e. my responses), no?
Sure - that helps to understand the system as it is. What you are asking is how to change it. To change it in the right way it is vital to know where you want to get, not just where you are - even for a change intended to be small. Knowing how things are now is interesting and useful too, but it's not all that is necessary.

For example, I can talk about how to improve TB combat in general, discussing various implementations, and then decide what I can use or what fits my game.
That's good if you're brainstorming for ideas. If you want more focused suggestions, it helps to give a more detailed view of what you're trying to achieve - at some point at least.

So, my question basically was, if a game, any game, would have 2 separate AP pools, for whatever stupid reasons, what would be pros/cons/better ways to implement/etc.
My answer: it depends :).

Ok here's my attempt at some useful thoughts:

(1) Two pools can usually be shown to the player as one pool, just with different amounts of points used in different situations.
Example: In the first XCOM game Time Units covered movement and other actions. Movement costs (and inventory costs...) were always the same in absolute terms, shooting costs were as a percentage of the soldier's total. This meant that soldiers with higher TU totals could run faster, but not shoot faster.
If you add a variety of weapon speeds, this will almost certainly require a large number of time units [XCOM used about 50 to 80], or the rounding errors will be too extreme. This isn't ideal, since you don't want such large totals.

(2) Separating the pools will give you more room for manoeuver, since you won't need to round things, but might seem counter-intuitive if the pools are completely unconnected.
For instance, as has been stated above, if you ran until your movement points ran out, you'd still be able to attack. If you've time for an attack, why have you no time for further movement?
Either you connect the pools, so that each goes down by the same proportion with any action (effectively the same as the 1 pool XCOM solution), or you have the pools disconnected, and allow the player to attack a couple of times even though he can't move - which seems odd.

You could go for a middle ground - i.e. have a use of one pool affect the other but to a smaller degree. E.g. say the player starts with 20AP, 20MP. Moving one square could cost 1AP and 2MP, while attacking with a short sword might cost 6AP and 3MP. I prefer this to complete separation, but I think it's less intuitive than a one pool XCOM type solution.

You'd still get odd situations, e.g.:
Start at 20AP, 20MP.
Three short sword attacks leave 2AP, 11MP.
Running two squares leaves 0AP, 7MP.

You have 7MP, but can't do anything with it. Is this a bad thing? I'm not sure, but it seems a bit odd.

Similarly,
Start at 20AP, 20MP.
Running ten squares leaves 10AP, 0MP.
But the extra 10AP is useless.

Also, unless all the base costs are even, cutting them in two for the other pool would leave fractions. You could give every action its own cost for both pools, rather than multiplying by any fixed factor. This would avoid rounding errors, since you'd be assigning everything yourself. It'd make things a bit more complicated for the player though.

This type of system would probably work reasonably: a character with high MP could easily avoid a character with low MP. However, the high MP character would have low AP after moving a long way, so wouldn't be able to attack much, if at all. Perhaps you could make attacks cost high MP and AP, movement only high MP, and misc actions usually only high AP??

If the high movement character might still be able to use hit and run tactics with small weapons though. Have you thought about having the defending character respond to melee attacks with attacks of his own? I'm sure there'd be a downside to this, but it's a thought if one of your goals is to eliminate hit and run tactics.

Another thought: how does completely separating the pools help slow fighters? If a fast fighter has separate movement points he'll always outrun the slow fighter even after attacking as much as he wants. The slow fighter won't be helped by having many APs, since he'll never get close enough to use them. The situation is even worse if the fast fighter uses ranged weapons (and the ranged weapons don't use MP).

How about this as a solution to the fast melee fighter vs slow melee fighter issue:
The first movement in any movement sequence takes an extra AP (or two or more if you've doubled the costs - whatever works). This way the fast fighter would require to use this twice - once to move in, then again to move away. The slow fighter would only have to start moving once. This would eliminate the problem for 8AP vs 6AP [since the 6AP fighter wouldn't move next to the 8AP fighter if he couldn't attack], but not for 9AP vs 6AP.
This movement penalty models the relatively time consuming process of starting movement, compared with continuing a movement in progress.

To eliminate the 9 vs 6 issue, you could have a character prepare a melee attack automatically as he moves, but only after at least 2 squares. This preparation could reduce the AP cost of the first attack after the movement by 1. In this case, the 9AP fighter wouldn't get the bonus if he were only one square away to start with, since he doesn't have time to prepare his attack as he approaches. On the following turn the 6AP fighter would get the bonus - having run a few squares.
The AP costs would be:

Fast fighter (9AP):
Approach one square (1AP + 1AP movment start penalty)
Attack (3AP)
Withdraw three squares (3AP + 1AP movment start penalty)

Slow fighter (6AP):
Approach three squares (3AP + 1AP movment start penalty)
Attack (3AP - 1AP attack prepared during move)

This works without dividing the pools (in fact I think dividing the pools just makes things worse for slow fighters).

I'm not sure what you want to happen with ranged fast fighters vs. slow meleee fighters??? The above system wouldn't help the slow fighters much at all in this situation. They would be helped slightly if the "movment start penalty" were not applied if your last move on the last turn were also a move. In this case the retreating fighter would get the penalty after firing / throwing, where the chasing fighter never would.

Is there any consideration of direction of movement / facing at the moment? The "run away and shoot / throw" strategy could be made to work less well by forcing the retreating character to spend time turning before throwing. Running in one direction and throwing in another should be impossible without running backwards, or stopping and turning - either of which should be time consuming enough for the slower attacker to catch up (in most situations).

The bottom line: Splitting movement off into a separate pool will make things worse for slow, heavy fighters - not better: any fighter with a 2MP advantage will be able to move in, attack with all his AP, then retreat to an unattackable position. My above "prepare attack" bonus would be no help, since it would save AP, not MP. The "movement start penalty" would still help, but not enough to fix the problem - particularly when you introduce armour / shield movement penalties.

Take as an example, a fight between two characters, one, F, with 8MP and another, S, with 6MP, with separate MP and AP. Assuming it doesn't turn into a stand-off, the optimal strategies will be the following:
F tries to attack and move out of S's range.
S tries to attack and move so that F can't do the above.

Example combat (movement kept linear for simplicity):
F to move first below

F moves in, attacks and withdraws (so that S will need to be closer next turn):

S moves in, attacks and withdraws (so that F won't have enough moves to escape next turn):

Same again for F:

And again for S:

Now F cackles madly and plays his trump card - attacking, then withdrawing:

S withdraws a bit:

And the whole sorry process restarts...

This kind of gameplay is encouraged by separating the movement points. There is no incentive to use the points for anything other than movement, so characters will always take advantage where possible by moving to the best position. Unless two characters have the same MP the above movements will always make sense for both players (if both use melee attacks). Is this the kind of combat you want to see? I'd have thought not.

I'd stick to one pool, or two connected pools. Independent pools will encourage the above silliness. Ideas similar to those I gave above (both of which I think are reasonably intuitive and simple) can help to combat the undesirable situations.

Balor

Arcane
Wow!
Galsian, I always though of you as an upgraded version of me... but now it's a damn fact! :)
Pretty much my though, only I was too lazy/low on "English literacy' skill to flesh it out ;).

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Eh, it's not silly. It makes alot of sense. In fact, it's similar to what I'd imagine in Oblivion - Step forward, attack, step backwards. The alternative would be to just stand there button-mashing.

Besides, how much sense it makes to use AP for movement is influenced by the balance between MP and AP as well as the ratio of AP pool to AP cost. If I can only use AP to run after an enemy so he can hit me and run away because I don't have any AP left to attack, it doesn't make sense. But if I can use some AP to reach an enemy and attack, maybe get the first attack that way, it makes sense. Also, it means an agile fighter might actually use the maximal movement and a single attack to "harrass" one or multiple opponents, making it near impossible for them to strike back.
How to counter this? By not following, of course. Make him come after you. Save AP for attack of opportunity.
I mean, it's either this or the more mundane gameplay of combatants approaching each other and then standing next to each other, attacking until one is incapacitated.

galsiah

Erudite
Claw said:
You're missing my point. That whole last bit was an argument against splitting into AP and MP. Splitting off MP means that there is no conversion between the two, so you end up with all MP being used every turn - it looks more like a game of tag than combat.
If it were: step forward, attack, step back, then it would be fine.
The above is: run forward, attack using all AP, run away using all remaining MP.

If you don't split the points into AP and MP, you end up with a trade-off between movement and attack. This, as you say, has a more realistic feel, and would give better results. That's why I'm against total separation. Partial separation (i.e. everything taking some AP and some MP might work, but I'm not sure about that either).

A few sensible little rules [such as the start of movement taking an extra point, or the first attack after a move taking one less] can give slow fighters a realistic chance. Fast fighters will still have an advatage in movement terms, and will be able to use the "one attack, then run" tactic sometimes. Importantly though, this will only be possible when the slow fighter is already next to them - so would certainly have attacked in the previous turn.

Vault Dweller

Developer
galsiah said:
What you are asking is how to change it.
I know how to change it, and so does everyone else. You saw the flaw in the original setup without knowing anything else about. I've shown you another flaw - too slow heavy fighter. So, now there are 3 ways to fix both problems at the same time: double the points, "embrace the decimals", and split the points. I chose the last one, and I'm asking for an abstract analysis of this design feature.

(1) Two pools can usually be shown to the player as one pool, just with different amounts of points used in different situations.
It's a one pool setup with different costs.

(2) Separating the pools will give you more room for manoeuver, since you won't need to round things, but might seem counter-intuitive if the pools are completely unconnected.
For instance, as has been stated above, if you ran until your movement points ran out, you'd still be able to attack. If you've time for an attack, why have you no time for further movement?
It's an abstract concept, similar to attacking frozen in time opponents during your turn, designed to give tactical depth. Why chess units move and attack differently? Etc.

You could go for a middle ground - i.e. have a use of one pool affect the other but to a smaller degree.
Complexity for the sake of complexity. Calculating your attacks would become less intuitive.

Another thought: how does completely separating the pools help slow fighters? If a fast fighter has separate movement points he'll always outrun the slow fighter even after attacking as much as he wants. The slow fighter won't be helped by having many APs, since he'll never get close enough to use them. The situation is even worse if the fast fighter uses ranged weapons (and the ranged weapons don't use MP).
There is a difference between having 6AP (old system) and 6AP + 8MP (new system). In the old system every step that you make takes away your ability to attack efficiently, in the new system, you can move freely and then attack. Now, obviously, a fast fighter should have some speed advantage over a slow fighter, but a) heavy fighter, especially with a shield, can effectively block a lot of ranged damage; and b) heavy fighter can use throwing nets, if he can get reasonably close which is what MPs would give him.

How about this as a solution to the fast melee fighter vs slow melee fighter issue:
The first movement in any movement sequence takes an extra AP (or two or more if you've doubled the costs - whatever works). This way the fast fighter would require to use this twice - once to move in, then again to move away.
No, that would eliminate the speed advantage and is much more unrealistic than anything else.

To eliminate the 9 vs 6 issue, you could have a character prepare a melee attack automatically as he moves, but only after at least 2 squares.
Again, too complex for no good reason. Take a look at chess for a good example of complex gameplay with very simple rules.

Fast fighter (9AP):
Approach one square (1AP + 1AP movment start penalty)
Attack (3AP)
Withdraw three squares (3AP + 1AP movment start penalty)

Slow fighter (6AP):
Approach three squares (3AP + 1AP movment start penalty)
Attack (3AP - 1AP attack prepared during move)
Unfortunately, that would work only if the heavy fighter wants to use a dagger or a toothpick. Swinging a two-handed sword costs 6AP, long sword - 5, short sword - 4.

This works without dividing the pools (in fact I think dividing the pools just makes things worse for slow fighters).
How so?

The bottom line: Splitting movement off into a separate pool will make things worse for slow, heavy fighters - not better:
See the explanation above

S moves in, attacks and withdraws (so that F won't have enough moves to escape next turn):
First, attack costs are ranging from 2 (fast dagger attack) to 7 (power 2H sword attack). Second, S moves closer, throws a net (see the animation thread), and F is fucked for 2 turns, which could be enough to kill him as his armor offers little DR. Let's assume, however, that S doesn't have a net. He switches to ranged (may even throw his sword, again, see animations) or spears (spears' trait is interrupt: when someone attempts to move close, you get an interrupt attack, if sucessful, it causes regular damage AND forces your opponent to stay where he originally was).

Light fighters have their own ways of dealing with heavy fighters and shields, so it's balanced out.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
galsiah said:
Claw said:
You're missing my point. That whole last bit was an argument against splitting into AP and MP. Splitting off MP means that there is no conversion between the two, so you end up with all MP being used every turn - it looks more like a game of tag than combat.
That's what I thought. I don't see why you'd believe otherwise.

If it were: step forward, attack, step back, then it would be fine.
The above is: run forward, attack using all AP, run away using all remaining MP.
Yeah, that... I didn't actually mean to say "step" originally. That's why I said balance matters.
As I see it, MP only represent movement which doesn't inhibit coordinated actions, a few steps, not running. I don't know how much movement VD originally intended to be possible, but to achieve the same result you would have achieved by spending all AP on movement in the original system, you should also have to spend all MP and AP in the new one.

Also, as mentioned before there could be movement-related peanalties and rules that make your proposed tactic less of a no-brainer. I'd say if someone charges me from a distance, I might be more likely to be able to react than if he's just striking at close range, if you catch my drift. Oh, I'll just say it again: Attacks of Opportunity.

galsiah

Erudite
A few points VD:
I play chess [I'm actually not too bad], and I enjoy it, but it is - as you say -, an abstract game. At no point during a chess match do I think I'm fighting a battle. I don't think my knights ride horses, I don't think my rooks are "castles", I don't ascribe any personality to my king...
An RPG has elements of abstraction, but it is not an abstract game - it has strong connections with a world. Comparisons with chess are not sensible - chess shed any connection to a real/fantasy world long ago, whereas AoD hasn't.

Combat in AoD needs to make some sense. The turn based abstraction means that players will be more forgiving of slight non-sense situations. That doesn't mean you can get as abstract as you like though. The separation of AP from MP makes things less concrete, since neither AP nor MP can be thought of as time units. They are abstract, and using such a separation moves your combat towards a chess-like situation.

This doesn't mean it's a bad decision, but the move towards an abstract game is a bad point of the decision: RPG combat should not feel like an abstract game - it should feel like combat. Perhaps this bad point is outweighed by good points, but that doesn't make it irrelevant. If you want people to feel involved in the game world, then combat needs to feel like combat - not chess.

...You could go for a middle ground - i.e. have a use of one pool affect the other but to a smaller degree....
Complexity for the sake of complexity. Calculating your attacks would become less intuitive.
I wouldn't say it's "for the sake of complexity" - there is some motivation. I agree that it is probably an unnecessary complication though: only sensible if it brought significant gameplay improvement - which it probably wouldn't.

... a) heavy fighter, especially with a shield, can effectively block a lot of ranged damage; and b) heavy fighter can use throwing nets, if he can get reasonably close which is what MPs would give him.
Ok, nets improve matters, as does the spear - but should having a net / spear be a requirement for a heavy fighter? Should combat between a heavy fighter using a 2h sword and a faster fighter turn into a jogging match? [my above diagrams still work for such a situation]

If you can make combat interesting and convincing for all reasonable character setups after separating AP and MP, then that's fine. The separation gives you a lot more problems to solve though, and I'm not sure it's worth it.

The first movement in any movement sequence takes an extra AP (or two or more if you've doubled the costs - whatever works). This way the fast fighter would require to use this twice - once to move in, then again to move away.
No, that would eliminate the speed advantage and is much more unrealistic than anything else.
Have you thought about it? It reduces speed advantage (which you wanted in the first place). It is also fairly realistic - it always takes longer to start moving than to keep moving, particularly over short distances. It is counter-intuitive for an abstract chess-like game, but makes reasonable sense in a combat simulation. That's not a bad thing. It's a complication, but not necessarily a bad one.

To eliminate the 9 vs 6 issue, you could have a character prepare a melee attack automatically as he moves, but only after at least 2 squares.
Again, too complex for no good reason. Take a look at chess for a good example of complex gameplay with very simple rules.
The good reasons are that:
(1) it makes sense.
(2) it helps solve the original problem. (slow fighters using all their AP moving)

As for chess having simple rules, here are a couple:
When a pawn makes a double step from the second row to the fourth row, and there is an enemy pawn on an adjacent square on the fourth row, then this enemy pawn inthe next move may move diagonally to the square that was passed over by the double-stepping pawn, which is on the third row. In this same move, the double-stepping pawn is taken. This taking en-passant must be done directly: if the player who could take en-passant does not do this in the first move after the double step, this pawn cannot be taken anymore by an en-passant move.
To castle, the following conditions must be met:
* The king that makes the castling move has not yet moved in the game.
* The rook that makes the castling move has not yet moved in the game.
* The king is not in check.
* The king does not move over a square that is attacked by an enemy piece during the castling move.
* The king does not move to a square that is attacked by an enemy piece during the castling move.
* All squares between the rook and king before the castling move are empty.

...Unfortunately, that would work only if the heavy fighter wants to use a dagger or a toothpick. Swinging a two-handed sword costs 6AP, long sword - 5, short sword - 4.
But these point costs are not set in stone - they can be adapted if the system changes.

For instance, consider the following situations:
(1) A fighter attacking twice using a dagger.
(2) A fighter running forward with his short sword ready to swing, and attacking once.

Which attack is faster - the second dagger attack, or the short sword swing?
I'd probably favour the short sword swing (slightly). For the second dagger attack, the fighter needs to transfer his weight from moving backwards after the first attack, to forwards again. The short sword swing needs no such transfer - all the fighter's momentum is already moving forward.

AP costs for the first swing could be significantly reduced perfectly reasonably, since almost half the work of the attack can already have been done while advancing. This would help any character who was moving in - fast and slow alike. The AP reduction could reasonably be higher for slower weapons. The only penalised characters would be those who were darting backwards and forwards - which really should take more time than running in a single direction.

Your remedies mostly involve assuming the heavy fighter has a spear, or switches to ranged. In your first post you said that required switching to ranged was undesirable.

With a straight AP / MP divide, the following fight plays out quite farcically:
Fighter with 8AP, 6MP, and only a short sword.
vs.
Fighter with 8AP, 7MP, and only a dagger.

They'll spend every turn running backwards and forwards to gain positional advantage, unil the 7MP guy gets two attack turns in a row... That wouldn't feel like convincing combat to me. It would seem odd for an RPG system not to handle such a simple situation sensibly. I think the AP / MP divide creates more problems than it solves. You could probably bring in more rules to get around the problems, but I think it'd be easier to do with a simple one pool system.

EDIT:
Generally, splitting up movement and combat points will result in a lot of running around in combat - since there'll be no downside. That's my biggest gripe with it. If you can provide some form of realistic disincentive for running around all the time, combat would probably end up more convincing. Interesting combat (or gameplay in general) comes when there are a few possible actions all with pluses and minuses. I wouldn't want every battle to be a toe-to-toe grind, but nor would I like every battle to be a game of tag - the decisions should be difficult and interesting.

As to my "preparing while moving" rule, how about:
A character will (automatically) prepare for a melee attack as he moves. Each AP spent moving before the attack reduces the AP required for the attack by 1 point, to a minimum of 50% of the original value (rounded up I guess).

This is a direct application of simultaneous action: the weapon backswing (etc.) is made at the same time as the forward motion. The specific numbers are debatable, of course, but the priciple is sound enough.

The above would give:
2H sword 6 -> 5 -> 4 -> 3
Longsword 5 -> 4 -> 3
Shortsword 4 -> 3 -> 2
Dagger 3 -> 2

Maybe 50% is too extreme. I'm not sure.

RGE

Liturgist
Yeah, it'd be a real drag if there's always a reason to move, even though the enemy is right next and you're planning to attack and not to flee. But wouldn't "movement before attacking but not after" solve that issue? Fast fighters would be able to run around as much as they want to, but if they want to attack in melee they'd have to stick around for the answer. Automatic attacks of opportunity aren't as good, because then the player doesn't get to choose the type of attack.

galsiah

Erudite
RGE said:
But wouldn't "movement before attacking but not after" solve that issue?
Yes, but then you risk going to the other extreme - all melee fighting being toe-to-toe exchanges with no real movement on either side.
If you were controlling a group of NPCs, this could be a reasonable solution: some could withdraw / flank / heal... while others attacked, then they could switch... However, single character "only move before attacking" combat would be pretty one dimensional - for melee at least.

There needs to be a trade-off between movement and staying put, so that when / how to move becomes an interesting decision. How this is achieved is less important. I think the one AP pool method provides the simplest, intuitive solution, since there is automatically a trade-off [though there are still other issues to resolve].

VD: Are there any external factors to encourage different types of movement?
E.g. do terrain type / terrain elevation / lighting play any role?

The more I think about it, the harder it seems it'll be to make things interesting (w.r.t. movement). The net idea is certainly good, but I can't think how movement can be made important in plain melee fighting. I guess that running around all the time might be a bit more interesting than running around none of the time. I still think it'll feel odd though.

Another consideration (not necessarily bad - just a thought): separate movement and combat points will make speed much more important when fighting multiple opponents. With separation, fast characters will often be able to fight one enemy at a time. With one AP pool, both adversaries will be able to close the player down.

Vault Dweller

Developer
galsiah said:
An RPG has elements of abstraction, but it is not an abstract game - it has strong connections with a world. Comparisons with chess are not sensible - chess shed any connection to a real/fantasy world long ago, whereas AoD hasn't.
Well, RPG is also a very abstract concept: you don't eat, you don't sleep, you don't take time to heal, you can have you health reduced from 500 HPs to 1 and fight without penalties, you can destroy armies and save galaxies all by your lonely self.

The separation of AP from MP makes things less concrete, since neither AP nor MP can be thought of as time units. They are abstract, and using such a separation moves your combat towards a chess-like situation.
Which is a good thing in my book. Turn-based combat is a warrior's puzzle: you are facing 3 enemies, how do you kill them without them killing you first?

RPG combat should not feel like an abstract game - it should feel like combat.
"Should feel like combat" is too generic a definition. What does that really mean? The best TB game is ToEE, and it sure felt like combat to me. The best RT "melee & magic" combat is Jedi Academy. Depends on what one's looking for in a game. There is no need to make TB combat more realistic, and there is no need to make RT combat more abstract (KOTOR)

Ok, nets improve matters, as does the spear - but should having a net / spear be a requirement for a heavy fighter?
No, there are other ways, but each fighter type should have its own advantages, which must be dealt with in order to have a chance to win. Similarly, a heavy fighter's advantage is DR. His opponent should have something that can get through or the battle is already lost.

If you can make combat interesting and convincing for all reasonable character setups after separating AP and MP, then that's fine. The separation gives you a lot more problems to solve though, and I'm not sure it's worth it.
I don't see any new problems, and the old ones are dealt by adding MPs. The ratio of mobility (HF vs LF) remains the same, only now HF has a fighting chance.

Have you thought about it? It reduces speed advantage (which you wanted in the first place).
Yes, I did (otherwise I wouldn't reply to the post), and I didn't want to reduce the speed advantage, I wanted to remove the HF "disability".

(2) it helps solve the original problem. (slow fighters using all their AP moving)
It doesn't, avg attack cost is higher than 3-4.

But these point costs are not set in stone - they can be adapted if the system changes.
It's one of those cases, where the change won't be good. Attack speed is a very important factor that can break a game easily, so a lot of caution is required. What you propose simply wouldn't work in a game like AoD. Too much complexity that adds nothing interesting (in my opinion, of course), but makes combat a chore. Like MOO3 gameplay.

Anyway, sorry, don't have much time these days, can't reply to the rest.

RGE

Liturgist
galsiah said:
Yes, but then you risk going to the other extreme - all melee fighting being toe-to-toe exchanges with no real movement on either side.
If you were controlling a group of NPCs, this could be a reasonable solution: some could withdraw / flank / heal... while others attacked, then they could switch... However, single character "only move before attacking" combat would be pretty one dimensional - for melee at least.
Only single vs single, and even then the PC might want to retreat to do something which requires some time, such as rummage through their backpack (if that'll be possible in combat). If it's a single PC vs multiple enemies the PC could thin them out if they move at different speeds, or run between them while they are spread out, which they might be if some are using ranged weapons and others are trying to chase the PC down. But if it is the kind of pitched battle where lots of movement isn't needed I don't see what's so bad about not giving a reason for it.

galsiah

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Turn-based combat is a warrior's puzzle: you are facing 3 enemies, how do you kill them without them killing you first?
True, but the puzzle needs to bear some relation to the game world. For instance you could have three pools of points: Ranged attack points (RP), Melee attack points (CP) and movement points (MP). Now IF (and I know it's unlikely) such a system provided really good strategy, it would probably be too far from the reality of the game world: it makes no sense that in the same time you can:
Make two dagger attacks.
or
Make two dagger attacks, then throw two daggers.

Abstracting the combat is good in as much as it makes it an interesting puzzle. Taking it away from the reality of the game world is still a bad thing though - there's only so far you can push it before it bears no relation to combat at all.

"Should feel like combat" is too generic a definition.
True enough. What I mean is that it should be easy to imagine your character in the combat as you play through the abstract model.

To be honest, I don't think it'll bother me how far you abstract things, within reason - so long as the combat works well in the end. With separate MP, there is a danger that every move will become: run forward, attack with all AP, run away... So long as things aren't {like this nearly all the time}, it'll be fine.

The ratio of mobility (HF vs LF) remains the same, only now HF has a fighting chance.
True, but the optimal strategy (in the absense of nets / terrain considerations etc.) is still for both fighters to run back and forth every turn if they have different movement points. [I guess you can avoid this by making the AI not follow the optimal strategy, but that seems a somewhat cheeky solution]. I imagine this would not make for great gameplay. Whether this turns out to be true will depend on other factors too of course, but I think it's an issue.

...It's one of those cases, where the change won't be good....Too much complexity...
Fair enough, but remember that a rule which seems like an over-complication to start with can become second nature to players soon enough. So long as the rule makes some intuitive sense, complexity shouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Take the "en passant" rule in chess, for example. It's unlike any other rule in the game, and is quite complicated. However, it doesn't get in the way at all for a player with any experience. Once you've met it once or twice, it's no trouble at all. Of course it's not really vital to the game either, but it's still included. It's a complicated rule in an otherwise (fairly) simple game included for a very slight benefit.

If you'd been designing chess, would you have included the "en passant" rule? I doubt it (I'm not sure I would have either). It'd still be almost the same game of course, but it's probably a slightly better game with that rule in place - in spite of its seemingly needless complexity.
If a rule really is going to be confusing, or to get in the way of the player's thinking, then it makes sense not to include it without a compelling reason. However, many complex rules become quite simple from the player's point of view after he's played a few games (i.e. combats) - so long as the rule seems to make sense, and the situation in which it applies is obvious.

I'm not necessarily arguing for my above suggestions here, just against a "Complexity is the Enemy" design philosophy.

Anyway, sorry, don't have much time these days, can't reply to the rest.
No trouble.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom