Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spiderweb Games

HardCode

Erudite
So, since I've never played Spiderweb's games, I was thinking of taking advantage of the sale and buying the two Avernum trilogies and the Geneforge 5-pack. Maybe even a few of the misc. games like Blades of Avernum. So, are they all worth it? I tried the Avernum demo and then the Avernum 6 demo. Some things obviously changed, like no Look in A6 ... you have to try to find little icons on the actual map. Overall, are they a good deal?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Geneforge 5 is definitely worth it if you can tolerate somewhat basic combat (lots of).

ElectricOtter

Buy Exile I-III, Avernum 6, Geneforge 1 and 5. If you like Geneforge, you can buy the other ones, but 1 and 5 are the best. Blades of Exile is fun and open-source, so go ahead and get that too. Nethergate is pretty awesome too.

HardCode

Erudite
One thing I'm wondering as I play the A6 demo ... is there any C&C? The dialog just seems to be circular - always coming back around to the same questions to ask NPCs. Do responses actually affect anything? I feel as if I'm just reading the story instead of participating in the dialogs.

HardCode said:
One thing I'm wondering as I play the A6 demo ... is there any C&C? The dialog just seems to be circular - always coming back around to the same questions to ask NPCs. Do responses actually affect anything? I feel as if I'm just reading the story instead of participating in the dialogs.

Avernum is the 'dungeon crawl' series, whilst Geneforge is the C+C series. G1 has the standard factional choices / plot choices, but it increases every game from there. G5 is faction within factions, different degrees of hardline v moderate for whatever faction they're in, and simply absurd amount of different paths through the game. I'd say G5 is a frontline contender for most C-C ever put in a crpg.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
How about you go play some of the extremely long demos for his games instead of asking us?

Avernum at least appeals to very specific tastes so it's impossible for us to guess if you'll like it or not.

The best way I can describe it is:
- hours and hours of mostly non tactical turn based combat (improved somewhat in later games, but also made more annoying)
- hundreds and hundreds of MMORPG quality quests
- hours upon hours of walking
- acres and acres of samey caves and towns to explore, which have ..monsters to kill and possibly MMORPG quality quests to do.
- the same plot in the first chapter of every game
- now add a layer of weirdness, like the game itself has the Innsmouth Look or was made in some weird foreign country with rectangular toilets (it wasn't, Vogel is just weird)

To some that counts as huge amounts of content. To others, it is nothing but filler. Only you can decide.

Nim

Augur
SCO said:
Geneforge 5 is definitely worth it if you can tolerate somewhat basic combat (lots of).
Like any of Vogels games have more than basic combat :roll: You don't play them for combat, you play them for setting/plot/factions.
Azrael the cat said:
Avernum is the 'dungeon crawl' series, whilst Geneforge is the C+C series.
Could someone enlighten me where this notion of C+C in Geneforge comes from ? I'm at G5 in replaying the series and I don't see this much praised C+C.
G1 has the standard factional choices / plot choices, but it increases every game from there.
2 factions in 3 & 4, yes looks like increase every game :roll: Same for plot choices, they usually come at the end, anything else would run counter to Vogels design mantra that the player should be able to do everything.
and simply absurd amount of different paths through the game
WAT ??? No really, what are you smoking ? It is quite the opposite. G3-G5 are a linear romp area wise due to his hub system with 2 different end games. Factions add a few quests and a slightly different ending text. Thats about it.
I'd say G5 is a frontline contender for most C-C ever put in a crpg.
:retarded:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
dodge_challenger_appears.gif

Stabwound

Arcane
Are the Geneforge games related or can you just play 5 and not give a shit about the rest? The only Spiderweb games I've ever played are Avernum and Geneforge 1, and I don't think I finished either of them.

Nim

Augur
No prior knowledge is really necessary. There are NPCs who will fill you in on how the rebellion started etc. Not that is matters, the plot isn't a strong point of GF5 anyway.

mountain hare

Scholar
HardCode said:
So, since I've never played Spiderweb's games, I was thinking of taking advantage of the sale and buying the two Avernum trilogies and the Geneforge 5-pack. Maybe even a few of the misc. games like Blades of Avernum. So, are they all worth it? I tried the Avernum demo and then the Avernum 6 demo. Some things obviously changed, like no Look in A6 ... you have to try to find little icons on the actual map. Overall, are they a good deal?

I'm slightly biased here, because I played these games as a little kid.

I'd start with Exile 1, and work your way through to Exile 3. All three games are fairly primitive, reminiscent of Ultima 4, but I prefer them over the 'graphically enhanced' remakes (Avernum). Again, this may be nostalgia kicking in. Blades of Exile is a must. The Exile engine is at its height, and fans have produced excellent scenarios for it (eg. Nephil's Gambit). If you find the graphics and/or interface of Exile too unappealing, try playing Avernum instead.

I'd also try Nethergate. It's a short game (by Spiderweb Standards), but it really does shine. It marked the transition from the flat 2D graphics of Exile to the isometric pseudo-3D graphics of Avernum.

As far as Geneforge goes, whatever you do, don't skip the first one. It really is my favourite in the series, and it gives you an appreciation of the story's origins. Also give Geneforge 2 and 5 a whirl. 3 and 4 are forgettable.

Technoviking

Novice
Avernum is a dungeon crawl, but a fun one at that. Sadly (to me) it doesn't have a lot of replay value. That being said, I enjoyed my only play through each game in the series.

Geneforge is more focused on 'politics'. There are 2+ factions in each game, each with different ideas of how the world should be run. There's quite a bit of replay value in some of those games and it can be quite interesting to see how different factions play out.

Nethergate is probably more similar to Geneforge than Avernum. You have two different sides to choose from and depending on which side you choose, the game plays out quite differently. It's worth at least two playthroughs. One as the Celts, one as the Romans.

betamin

Learned
Nim said:
SCO said:
Like any of Vogels games have more than basic combat :roll: You don't play them for combat, you play them for setting/plot/factions.
Azrael the cat said:
Avernum is the 'dungeon crawl' series, whilst Geneforge is the C+C series.
Could someone enlighten me where this notion of C+C in Geneforge comes from ? I'm at G5 in replaying the series and I don't see this much praised C+C.
G1 has the standard factional choices / plot choices, but it increases every game from there.
2 factions in 3 & 4, yes looks like increase every game :roll: Same for plot choices, they usually come at the end, anything else would run counter to Vogels design mantra that the player should be able to do everything.
and simply absurd amount of different paths through the game
WAT ??? No really, what are you smoking ? It is quite the opposite. G3-G5 are a linear romp area wise due to his hub system with 2 different end games. Factions add a few quests and a slightly different ending text. Thats about it.
I'd say G5 is a frontline contender for most C-C ever put in a crpg.
:retarded:

If I recall correctly there are like 4 or 5 endings in G5 (or even more), C&C is present (you have to behave coherently with the faction you gonna choose) and yes, there are limitations to where you can travel, but inside those divisions you can choose to go full combat or the "leadership + mechanics" route.

Nim

Augur
I think I wrote endgame didn't I ?
Endgame 1: You kill all the Councilors for Ghaldring.
Endgame 2: You kill Ghaldring for Alwan/Astoria/Taygen/Litalia

Of course there are different ending texts for endgame 2 but from a gameplay point there are only 2 paths at the end.
C&C is present (you have to behave coherently with the faction you gonna choose)
I presume you mean the reputation requirements to join a faction ? Apart from Taygen they are not that high and can be lowered with enough leadership, you can easily join all factions in one game if you want. And once you have joined a faction nobody cares when you start spouting the opposite view. So where is the C&C here ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom