Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SPECIAL sucks, Roguey vs aleph on Arcanum, etc

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Oh joy~ Waste a perk to get companion, joy~
Magnetic Personality isn't as great a perk as Bonus Move, for instance, but level 6 also isn't chock-full of crucial perks that really improve your build or survivability. Magnetic Personality is not bad to have. If you consider that in effect it gives you +2 CH points for all the relevant purposes of that stat, it's better than any of the level 12 Gain Ability perks; you can put 2 points from CH into something else if you had companions in mind. Pope Amole II, a much better Fallout player than I, said it's perfectly okay.
Finding high level drug at early stage, joy~ Idiot!
By the time you get to Vault City, assuming natural progression of the game (Klamath -> Den -> Modoc -> Vault City), you'll have three companions at most - Sulik, Vic, Cassidy. From them You are also legible to find (even steal!) Mentats by the Den, as both Tubby and Flick restock those. By your arrival to VC, you start mid game, with plenty of huge cities and lots of stores to buy drugs, and with money slowly stopping to become an issue; whether you Steal, Barter or just kill shitloads of raiders and take their useful toys.
I am certain that you have fun with your aggressive fugly of a character but I have my standard. My diplomat will goes past all doors with the charisma of Don Juan and finish quest with flair. Any idiot fugly stand in my way will die in an explosion done by my protectors~
The top tier combat characters that can play a good lieutenant to a optimized, highly-leveled Chosen One include maybe two-three characters, Sulik, Cassidy, and perhaps high-level Vic; I'd love to count Skynet, Marcus and so on in, but they can't wear armor and get ripped to shreds. Moreover, if the player is capable of solo-storming an Enclave base full of enemy soldiers with top-of-the-line armory and weaponry, but all governed by the in-game AI, how would he be unable to beat a Chosen One who chose to put his precious SPECIAL into a dump stat and his couple of AI-controlled cronies, some of whom incapable of surviving more than a crit to the eyes (3 AP with a proper build), that don't know how to shoot eyes and not stand into another's line of fire? A low CH character will have plenty of help anyway; an ugly mug still can travel with some NPCs.

You can be just as suave, persuasive and cunning with both a CH10 Casanova and a CH2 autist with a squint.

Beastro

Arcane
He's RPG Moses.

More like the RPG Abimelech.

I don't like his design philosophy because it's anti-competitive. Despite him trying to deny that, what else can you call shit like "No bad builds", which is just another way of saying the game's character design and combat are so compromised that anyone can succeed in it, which is just another way of saying "Everybody's a winner".

This is also coming from someone who is absolutely terrible are crunching numbers (I intuited my way through old Paradox games, it's beyond me figure out the formulas behind balancing a budget in them and hate how dumbed down those games have been as well) to and character building on his own, but I'd rather suffer for that than have a good RPG developer like him make shit games that feeds into babying of Millennials.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Despite him trying to deny that, what else can you call shit like "No bad builds", which is just another way of saying the game's character design and combat are so compromised that anyone can succeed in it, which is just another way of saying "Everybody's a winner".

I don't see the problem with being able to succeed as long as you play to the strengths of your build. You shouldn't be able to make a character who's bad at everything.

Fortunately, goons still believe in Josh.

I decided to go back a hundred pages or so to see some discussion about the game and was very amused to see the word "Sawyerist/Sawyerite" being tossed around. I would just like to say that I was not aware of Sawyerism's existence, though I could sense its presence. From the days of reading the New Vegas thread I knew, in the core of my being, that there had to be a better way to live. The Sawyer way. Praise be to Sawyer. I knew from the very beginning area, when throwing my weapon in dialogue actually threw my weapon, and fruitlessly pushing against a wall with all of my might resulted in fatigue. I knew.

Beastro

Arcane
I knew from the very beginning area, when throwing my weapon in dialogue actually threw my weapon,

Yeah, pretty awesome how it's the only time that comes up in dialogue.

Whole thing reeked of adding shit to the introduction to impress reviewers.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think you'll enjoy AoD.
I don't, and if it fails I'll have something to point to with regard to why extreme grognardism can't succeed if your threshold for success requires greater than Jeff Vogel numbers.

aleph

Arcane
I've seen people say they've completed it without engaging with the character system at all.

There are people who play through POE solo. Does that mean that companions have no impact on the game play?

Most people have never even bothered to leave Cyseal or even follow its main quest. Only about 25% made it to the final boss of the area, 32% made it to zombie jake, and only half discovered who the murderer was. A little more than half found the two pyramids. How would they know about the quality of those areas if they haven't seen them?

Original Sin has been on some steam sales, so these numbers include a lot of people who bought the game on a whim and never intended to do more than just play around a couple of hours with it. These statistics are too meaningless to allow to judge the acceptance of the character system.

Last edited:

Lord Andre

Arcane
I don't, and if it fails I'll have something to point to with regard to why extreme grognardism can't succeed if your threshold for success requires greater than Jeff Vogel numbers.

OMG, I would pay money for a Sawyer Let's Play of AOD.

Considering his whole shtick is "making a character that gets stuck half way through the game is not fun" aka "let's cater to retards" and Age of Decadence is like the nemesis of special snowflakes who want to be able to do everything all the time, the sour expression on his face would be priceless...

What does the extreme grognardism of AoD consist of?

Lhynn

Arcane
People are taking sawyer seriously again? after PoE? lol
Fuck roguey.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What does the extreme grognardism of AoD consist of?
Guy made a system first (one that includes stats that modify action and skill points), then created content for it. Said person is also a fan of extremely swingy combat (he's said he doesn't like accuracy % values for the PC that go above the 70s, even for a character optimized for accuracy, and this was true enough when I played the demo way back when). Player sucker punches and gotchas (the myriad ways you can die in the text adventures).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom