Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spec Ops: The Line - Heart of Darkness with guns

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Apocalypse Now is a great movie, though. I'd use any excuse just to tell people to watch it.

circ

Arcane
EDGY TIME. No but seriously, is it? I haven't seen the redux or whatever version, but Marty Sheen gets to Nam, talks with Bob Duvall who says some classic lines, sits on a boat with a young Larry Fishburne, and the voices in his head just won't shut the fuck up. Eventually runs into Fatso McBrando and has to listen to his poop. Thanks, but I'll take Full Metal Jacket instead.

Dexter

Arcane
There's also some cool shots from the game on http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=1684 made with a special version of using free camera and removing HUD elements etc. :P

sympathyformrvengeance.jpg

downriver.jpg

lakeoffire.jpg

preybeforesleep.jpg

djshadow.jpg

burnout.jpg

thepeopleunderthestairs.jpg

buzz

Arcane
mario-s686x1175-107936.jpg

OMG KILLING IS TEH BAD!!!

You know what truly pisses me off? The fact that Spec Ops: The Line is not even a viable "deconstruction" of the modern shooter. Because most modern shooters try to sell the pretentious message "war is evil and mean" thing as well. Call of Duty is especially doing that with torture scenes, the nuclear bomb, terrorist acts, semi-relevant philosophy quotes in the loading screens, betrayal, friends getting killed, you getting killed (and burned alive omg so sad :() and americans being evil, that one was used as well. I haven't played Gears of War, but I remember that one trailer with Mad World being played in the background so it's probably doing the same shit.

It's one of the reasons why I hate modern shooters in the first place. I didn't give a shit whether the cyber-demon in Doom had daddy issues or not. I just want the instant gratification I get from the gameplay.

am0kgonzo

Novice

You know what truly pisses me off? The fact that Spec Ops: The Line is not even a viable "deconstruction" of the modern shooter. Because most modern shooters try to sell the pretentious message "war is evil and mean" thing as well. Call of Duty is especially doing that with torture scenes, the nuclear bomb, terrorist acts, semi-relevant philosophy quotes in the loading screens, betrayal, friends getting killed, you getting killed (and burned alive omg so sad :() and americans being evil, that one was used as well. I haven't played Gears of War, but I remember that one trailer with Mad World being played in the background so it's probably doing the same shit.

It's one of the reasons why I hate modern shooters in the first place. I didn't give a shit whether the cyber-demon in Doom had daddy issues or not. I just want the instant gratification I get from the gameplay.
So play the games that are just about shooting stuff? It's not like there aren't a shitload of them out there. Or do all games need to cater to your tastes?

Weierstraß

Learned
Project: Eternity

But The Line didn't do that, so what's your problem with it?

Angthoron

Arcane

But The Line didn't do that, so what's your problem with it?
Neither did COD say anything about "war being evil and mean". It's a standard military shooter with a standard military shooter plot. If we go by that line of reasoning, then Blood was an anti-violence thesis with a touch of anti-vandalism morale sprinkled on it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Mentioned this before in another thread but always hilarious to see a developer mock crappy military shooters by making yet another crappy military shooter. Oh, but a 'self-aware' one so it's all good.

Angthoron

Arcane
Mentioned this before in another thread but always hilarious to see a developer mock crappy military shooters by making yet another crappy military shooter. Oh, but a 'self-aware' one so it's all good.
A bit like that Bulletstorm dev parody "game"? Yeah.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
That, too, was hilarious. Herp Derp 'da dooty calls!' Newflash: you guys just made some shitty four hour cutscene riddled consoletard shooter. I wouldn't have panned Bulletstorm as much as I did had it been a $15 digital download title where you compete for high scores or whatever. As a fully fledged EA published AAA shebang it's laughably bad.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hated the gameplay, the story wasn't for me.

If just one Call of Duty-fag plays this though, then its existence is justified.

Commander Xbox

Learned
i much prefer the autism simulation and rich meaningful lbqt themes running through the upcoming classic ''project eternity'' to this, feh, ''shooter'' game

by chance have you heard of a series called call of duty? i hear its bad (of course i have never played such plebian trash)

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wouldn't have panned Bulletstorm as much as I did had it been a $15 digital download title where you compete for high scores or whatever. As a fully fledged EA published AAA shebang it's laughably bad.

It's funny, I usually think people are too hard on Bulletstorm. I had a lot of fun with it. But this puts it into perspective. I downloaded it for like $5 from some Steam sale... I can't see paying full price for any shooter. I generally dislike the entire genre and only see a few of them I find bearable. I actually have Spec Ops and got bored within the first 45 minutes. It's too bad because it looks pretty and whatever but I just hate shooters too much even if I am semi-interested in the commentary I see about the plot twist and the game's overall story.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I finished the game yesterday and it trully was amazing. It was so surprising, so well done. Not a happy ending at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I finished the game yesterday and it trully was amazing. It was so surprising, so well done. Not a happy ending at all.

Best example of deadpan sarcasm I've seen in a while. You are truly a master of your craft.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Reposting my thoughts from the screenshot thread:

So because it was cheap and I wanted to experience firsthand the shitty 2deep4u story so many Codexers seemed to love, I tried Spec Ops: The Line. I was not prepared for the horror I experienced. The horrors of war, and the far worse horrors of generic third person covershooting popamole and murky ugly textures.

oG1kF.jpg

OH MAN WHAT DEEP AND SUBTLE SOCIAL COMMENTARY! GAMES ARE ART.

Vugbu.jpg

Man that white phosphorous was conveniently placed... oh hey what have we here? Smells delicious.

TkRMP.jpg

Kentucky Fried Civilians? LOOKS LIKE MEAT'S BACK ON THE MENU, BOYS!

hy6Q8.jpg

HOT MOTHER DAUGHTER BONDING XXX! Guys I think this game is trying to convey some sort of message but it's way too subtle, deep, and totally not heavyhanded at all for me to figure it out.

efceG.jpg

Oh, the bad guy's in a chair with a gun hanging from his limp arm. This can only mean... I WAS TYLER DURDEN ALL ALONG!

Just when I thought it couldn't get more 2deep4u pretentious, they used the Fight Club twist. LundB cried in a whisper at this game, at this pretension -- he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath: "The horror! The horror!"

p1OOF.jpg

LUNDB RATES THIS MAJESTIC GAMING EXPERIENCE 9 INCINERATED BABIES OUT OF 10.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Metro LundB

I don't know what's your problem. Noone said that this is the best game ever, but it has a well done, rather unusual story (FOR A GAME), which tackles some disturbing aspects of war. It seems to me you are just hating it to be feel like a true Codexer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom