Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, regardless, I wonder if the thing is starting to burn out already.
I mean, it seems like it's impossible to break 1 million now.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Well, regardless, I wonder if the thing is starting to burn out already.
I mean, it seems like it's impossible to break 1 million now.
It's not burning out, in fact the number of projects getting at least 100K$ is steadily increasing, the problem is that it will take a very long time before 1M becomes the new standard, at the moment only six projects got at least 1M.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I think them doing the survey was a good idea. I think they will make their funding, but it will probably be close like Jane's was.

I'm certianly looking forward to it. I LOVED the Space Quest series <3

So. Much. Death.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
That silly little mock up they did through Chrome shut down donations completely. It seems like it freaked people out that they might be getting a browser game instead of a Space Quest clone. The 2 guys from Andromeda really need to stress that it's a real point and click adventure game with voice overs and all that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
They made it pretty clear, but since most people are dumbfucks they need to be slapped over the head every time you tell them something.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
They made it pretty clear, but since most people are dumbfucks they need to be slapped over the head every time you tell them something.

Yup. Jensen's donations were also shot after she implied that the game developed could be a sequel to gray matter or a victorian romance game. People need to be sold on exact terms and precise offers, otherwise they freak out. One would think these people would learn not be ambiguous by now. It is really bad for business.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So am I the only one afraid this Kickstarter won't make it? It seems to be progressing too slowly... :(

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Doesn't look too good. Needs more exposure. The faggots at adventuregamers.com didn't even put it in the news.

Also, here:
bee.png

You're welcome.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter

Yup. Jensen's donations were also shot after she implied that the game developed could be a sequel to gray matter or a victorian romance game. People need to be sold on exact terms and precise offers, otherwise they freak out. One would think these people would learn not be ambiguous by now. It is really bad for business.

How precise it is doesn't matter. There are several kickstarter that made it that were the opposite of precise. Just, don't show people something they might not like. Either something good *Gabriel Knight* or nothing at all "Hey, I'm Jean Jensen. You know me. I want to make something".

Instead it was this "What? Pinkerton Studios. What is this? How does this work? Too complicated for me. MYYYYYYY BRAAAAAAAAAAINS!!!!!!!"

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I still think they will make it. It's just going to be close like Jane's. But they need to probably get off their butts like Jane did and promote the hell out of their project. Had she not done that, I think it might have failed.

I still hope this gets funded, because I LOVE the artwork of the Space Quest series. <3

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Doesn't look too good. Needs more exposure. The faggots at adventuregamers.com didn't even put it in the news.

Is there so much going on with Adventure Games that they can't push the Kickstarter games run by the few people who've actually made good ones?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, it's a mainstream adventure game site, if you can believe something like that exists.

So yeah, they're too busy with Portal, L.A. Noire and other similarly great adventure games.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah. their whole inclusion of Portal 2 was pure bullshit. I do applaud them on their open moderation, even for their own reviews and the forums however. We need a AdventureGameCodex.net. But this forum pretty much suffices for now.

But in the end they just come off as some crap business, and don't really have or care/love for Adventure Games. It's all about money/business.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Some Ken Williams guy backed this projects and pretends to be Ken Williams from Sierra. He registered in 2009 so it might not be a fake. But the total didn't go up by much. I would have thought that if he was really Ken Williams he'd throw in 10k.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Their latest update video is pretty funny if you know the backstory about the 2 falling out after Space Quest 4. I thought they still both hated Ken Williams too which is also pretty funny if that really was him that posted on their Kickstarter.

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
I didn't know they had a falling out with the Williams. What was it about?

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I didn't know they had a falling out with the Williams. What was it about?

At least for Scott, he's badmouthed Ken after Sierra shut down. It might not have been based on any real slight but a bunch of ex Sierra employees blamed Ken for their downfall. This was all 13-14 years ago so they might've all mended bridges.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Aren't you mixing up Scott and Josh? I know Josh had some harsh criticism of both the Williams in an interview in the late 90's but I don't tihnk Scott ever said anything nasty about. He mentioned he was sometimes difficult to work with, but in the same breath he also said that outside of work they were very close friends (at least if that's the interview I have in mind)

FrancoTAU

Cipher
Aren't you mixing up Scott and Josh? I know Josh had some harsh criticism of both the Williams in an interview in the late 90's but I don't tihnk Scott ever said anything nasty about. He mentioned he was sometimes difficult to work with, but in the same breath he also said that outside of work they were very close friends (at least if that's the interview I have in mind)

http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/interviews/234/

Here's an interview in 2006 where Scott bashes Josh and Ken really hard. He did echo that part about Ken being a great guy outside the office but a control freak dick at work.

Do you feel you accomplished what you set out to accomplish with the Space Quest series? If the rights ever reverted back to you through some magical twist of fate, would you be interested in teaming back up with Mark Crowe and the gang for another go-around?

Overall, I feel pretty good about how the games came out. When Mark and I started the games we decided that we wanted to make games WE would want to play, and I think we did that for the most part. Would I want to work with Mark again? No, I don't think so. As I learned the hard way, Mark was not a very good partner in the long run. When he decided to go to Sierra's Dynamix division, he didn't have the decency to tell me he was leaving until we were headed to Las Vegas for the Consumer Electronics Show. The only reason he told me then was that I was inevitably going to see him talking with Dynamix management personnel about the move while we were out there. I lost a lot of respect for him, and then lost more when I learned some other things about him a couple of years later from people I am not at liberty to name who made me understand that he had loyalty to only himself. I was really bummed to learn what he was really like, or what he'd become.
When we worked on the games together and did interviews I would compliment him to the media about how great he was at what he could do with a few pixels, that he was the best in the business, but never in my memory did ever say a single good thing about what I did, and I spent a hell of a lot more time on the games than he did, not to mention the VAST majority of the writing. I was very disillusioned with him for that.

LizardKing

Scholar
Kickstarter reached 200k!
Im not sure if you already knew this but.. they are planning to add parser!!
Scott confirmed this during the SQ marathon.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Kickstarter reached 200k!
Im not sure if you already knew this but.. they are planning to add parser!!
Scott confirmed this during the SQ marathon.

Yeah, if this gets funded I wonder what effect it will have on the sales if it's true. I sense a lot of "waaaat? typoing in videa gaem? LOLOL> LAME XD" retardation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom