Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Luka-boy

Arcane
KGgSJnw.png

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Why on Earth does an adventure game require a save system that takes years to develop?
If you don't design a game with a save system in mind from the begining, to retrofit one in afterwards is extremely difficult, esspeically if its a game where you're planning on having some sort of patching or updates at any point.
Save game systems are crazy complex. Hell, our entire framework is basically built around our save system.

There are some 'brute force' solutions - but they can break if you're actually still developing and testing a game - because any minor change will cause issues (where the game is trying to reference data thats changed, or no longer exists) with every update.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why on Earth does an adventure game require a save system that takes years to develop?
If you don't design a game with a save system in mind from the begining, to retrofit one in afterwards is extremely difficult, esspeically if its a game where you're planning on having some sort of patching or updates at any point.
Save game systems are crazy complex. Hell, our entire framework is basically built around our save system.

There are some 'brute force' solutions - but they can break if you're actually still developing and testing a game - because any minor change will cause issues (where the game is trying to reference data thats changed, or no longer exists) with every update.

Come on, I'm no programmer but how hard is it to

Dump entire game state to disk from memory -> compress file using basic bitch winzip tech -> resume snorting cocaine from hookers' belly buttons.

Chris Roberts must be reading this thread and already setting up another 3 studios with $453M in funding to "develop the best save system ever" for Star Citizen.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Come on, I'm no programmer but how hard is it to

Dump entire game state to disk from memory -> compress file using basic bitch winzip tech -> resume snorting cocaine from hookers' belly buttons.

Chris Roberts must be reading this thread and already setting up another 3 studios with $453M in funding to "develop the best save system ever" for Star Citizen.
Because what happens when you load that up after changing something? When there is data missing in that save, or data has been added? Hell - even the directories WHERE you save the data has to be thought out, because different computers and OS's allow for different read and writing paths.

How do you test for bugs if you're dumping the entire game state as a save? How do you know if something is causing a bug that you just did, or because of something you did 10 minutes ago, or 10 hours ago? The variables in a game can be in the 10's of thousands - you have to know whats happening to be able to fix it - else every single bug test requires a FULL playthrough to even check if it WORKS - not if its fixed.

Adventure games and RPG's have similar issues when it comes to save systems - with a full game 'dump' not being a practical solution.

But honestly it all depends on how they have set up their puzzles, and how they are tracking their data.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
That's just the last of a series of problems, the biggest of which was not taking an existing engine and making a game with it, but instead thinking that they can make their own engine as well.
Wait, you're telling me this isn't Unity or something? Talk about biting off more than you can chew...

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
They are having these kind of problems *because* they are using Unity.
Using existing engines give you just the illusion to avoid a lot of low level work (until you realize you need to do that in any case, plus a lot of extra work to just fit it in the existing engine)

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Are there any posts mentioning that they're using Unity? I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they made the engine themselves, but it could have been a comment from someone who was misinformed.

Fake edit: Found this comment from a guy working on the game that explains things: "Yeah, especially since we're using an older version of Unity. Also we developed a lot of systems prior to a lot of adventure-esque asset packages being available, so a lot of things that might've worked to just drop in and go, aren't available to us without re-architecting the whole game."

So I guess the problem is more that they're using a 10 year old version of Unity.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Yeah, you'd be surprised the problems people have with save games in Unity.
I'm not, since I've picked up over the years that you have to make your own save system or use someone else's in Unity. Since I don't believe it ships with one. Which is surprisingly to me, since I generally assumed that was one of the bare minimum requirements for having a working engine. (I haven't used Unity, so I don't know the inner workings of the system, I've just used things like AGS)

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Yeah, you'd be surprised the problems people have with save games in Unity.
I'm not, since I've picked up over the years that you have to make your own save system or use someone else's in Unity. Since I don't believe it ships with one. Which is surprisingly to me, since I generally assumed that was one of the bare minimum requirements for having a working engine. (I haven't used Unity, so I don't know the inner workings of the system, I've just used things like AGS)
Save game systems vary so much from game to game, there is no way a universal system in Unity would work. Unity is more of a big box of random tools that you can use to build anything from a gokart to an oil rig. AGS is more like a ready built house that you are remodeling... but at the end of the day, its still a house.

I think that a lot of the premade frameworks do come with their own save systems. Adventure Creator has one built in, and as long as you stick with their internal tools you're good to go. I think the issues they are running into probably has less to do with the save system itself, and more to do with testing it and making changes without it breaking.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:what:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/3590050

SpaceVenture will be released on PC September 16th 2022 to Backers​

Hey everyone! We are super excited to make this announcement! The Kickstarter update that we have all been waiting for is finally upon us. On September 16th, 2022 we are officially releasing the Windows DRM-free version of SpaceVenture to all of you $15 and up backers.

To start this off, we would like to give you a bit of an FAQ on things you might be wondering:

Q. What? I thought you said a few weeks ago that the save/load system was still not working?

A: As of a few weeks ago, we were already pretty close to getting it working. As mentioned in the previous update, we had a couple of developers (one of which is the senior developer Patrick Johnston) that got together and worked four long days in getting the system where it needs to be. And the meet up was a success!

Q. Will the game be coming out on Steam?

A: Yes! After we release the game to you backers, we’re planning to release it on Steam. And our goal is to get all $15 and up backers Steam keys as soon as possible.

Q. What about the other platforms promised in the Kickstarter?

A: Yes we plan to get the game released on all the promised platforms. When we did the Kickstarter our plan was to release all platforms at the same time. At this point, in order to do that, we would have to make everyone wait even longer. So we feel it’s a good idea to go ahead and release it on Windows. The plan is to follow that up with Macintosh, Linux and then iOS/iPAD and Android.

Q. How will we get access to the DRM-free version of SpaceVenture?

A: Everyone who is a $15 and up backer will receive a message from us on September 16,2022 before the end of the day (Pacific Time) containing download information.

Q. Since we have a DRM-free version of SpaceVenture, can we share it with everyone in the world?

A: We can’t stop you, but we would REALLY appreciate it if you didn’t ;)

Q. What about bugs?

A: Though there may be some bugs in the game, we have it in a state now to where we feel comfortable with releasing it to everyone.

Q. If we have problems/find bugs with SpaceVenture, how will we report those?

A: The download message you receive from us will contain that information. Please don’t report problems in the Kickstarter comments. We will not be looking there for bug reports.

Q. Will you be making updates that fix bugs in the future?

A: Absolutely. We plan to have a way to report bugs and post updates/patches.

Q. What is the deal with the physical rewards promised in the Kickstarter?

A: Please see the “Physical Backer Rewards” section in this Kickstarter Update below.

Q. Speaking of rewards, should we be giving you our mailing address?

A: Not at this time. We will request this from you when the time comes to ship everything out. We still have to get everything together before we will be ready to ship. Please see the physical backer rewards section of this update below for more details.

Q. Is there any way I can up my rewards tier so I can get some of the higher level physical rewards?

A: Not at this time. Though we have been purchasing a few extra (just in case of mailing issues) of each item and may make them available in the future.

Q. What about all the digital rewards for SpaceVenture?

A: Please see the “Digital Backer Rewards” section of this Kickstarter update below.

PHYSICAL BACKER REWARDS

For physical backer rewards we want to be clear on some things. After the Kickstarter was funded we went ahead and purchased a lot of the rewards that we needed. These rewards have been kept in a safe, clean, and dry storage area. There are some rewards we have not purchased yet but we are currently working on them as I type this up.

Here is a list of the physical items we still need to purchase:

• Materials for the Andromedon Nose to be created by Mark Crowe ($7500 and up backers)
  • Hard copy concept art book ($500 and up backers)
  • SpaceVenture movie posters ($150 and up backers)
  • Guys From Andromeda Postcard ($150 and up backers)
  • Game DVD sleeves to go into the game boxes ($100 and up backers)
  • Game DVDs that will contain SpaceVenture ($100 and up backers)
  • 8x10 photo containing an Easter Egg to be seen in game ($45 and up backers)
Here is a preview pic of the DVD sleeve/DVD

4d6829cd3c49d4f3c6cc954dea932c7d_original.png

Another glimpse of the back of the actual game box

6b9023ba12038c5e4645a78cdc7e366d_original.png

If you don’t see a physical reward listed in the above list, it is because it is most likely something we have already purchased. For example, Buckazoid Coins, T-shirts, Game Boxes, etc..

We hope you will all understand that though we do have enough money in the bank to purchase the rest of these rewards for everyone, unfortunately we don’t have enough money to cover all the shipping expenses right now. We will be shipping out items to around 2000 people. It has been a long 10 years and we hope you can understand that though a lot of money was brought into the Kickstarter, we (like you) could never have imagined it would take this long to finish it. Even though we kept our belts tight, the money has almost run out.

So here is our plan. Getting these rewards to you is very important to us. There are three strategies that we are planning to implement.

1: After purchasing the final rewards we need, any money left over from the Kickstarter will be used for reward shipping.

2: Once we put SpaceVenture on the market for sale, such as Steam, the money made from that will go to fulfilling the shipping of all of these rewards. We are not going to be taking any money from sales until we’ve shipped out rewards.

3: Some of you may decide you don’t want to wait any longer and would like to get your physical rewards sooner rather than later. We plan to make an option available where you can pay your own shipping to receive items faster. And yes we realize that you have all paid enough money as it is. This is just an option. Anyone who wants to wait for us to get the money for shipping will totally be able to wait. Either way, we plan to get the rewards out to you. And in time, you’ll all get the physical rewards in your hands.

As for getting us your information for shipping. Please don’t send us any updated shipping address information. We do realize a lot of you have moved. When the time comes, we’ll ask for your updated address information.

VERY IMPORTANT: We do ask that you update your Kickstarter profile/account settings to reflect your name/updated email address as you would like us to communicate with you. Please do this ASAP.

DIGITAL BACKER REWARDS

One of the things that the team is working on right now is putting the finishing touches to the cool digital backer rewards that are available in SpaceVenture, including:

• Name a star or have your name on a star in game ($5000 and up backers)
  • Fan/Name Vanity Card hidden object in game ($500 and up backers)
  • Backer names in the credits of SpaceVenture ($100 and up backers)
  • 8x10 Easter Egg related reward ($45 and up backers)
If you don’t see a digital reward that you are looking for listed above, it's probably because it is something we’ve already completed. For example, the Wall of Fame reward, etc.

VERY IMPORTANT: As mentioned above, please update your Kickstarter information ASAP. Backers at the $100 level: The name that is listed in Kickstarter will be the name that is listed in the credits. We are going to give everyone a few days to take care of this. Backers at the $500 and up level, please update your Kickstarter info as well. You will probably get a message from us regarding your information. Please be on the lookout for that and respond ASAP. It is very important that you respond to this message quickly. Ideally, we want to get everyone’s info correct the first time.

CLOSING THOUGHTS

So that is it everyone. We realize it has been a long road. No one knows that better than our team. We have worked hard through some difficult times to make the game right and not release it half baked. And we are so appreciative of all of you that have hung in there with us. We also realize that there is still some road to hoe, as we have to get the game out on the various platforms and rewards shipped-out, but we are extremely excited to finally be releasing this game to everyone. We hope it lives up to your expectations. We realize that nothing can replace the nostalgia you may all have of playing Space Quest when you were younger, but think that SpaceVenture will be a proper spiritual successor to the series. Thanks again everyone!

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, ten whole years. Honestly kind of impressed they stuck with it. I'll be cautiously looking forward to being hurt again, I guess.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It's not going to be great, it's going to be okay, but with the taste of love and effort added to it, which will make it great.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game is coming out tomorrow.

It is a thing that is happening.

Oh my gooooooooooooood: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/3610230

TODAY IS THE DAY! THE BACKER ONLY RELEASE OF SPACEVENTURE PC IS HERE!​

Hello everyone! Words can’t express how excited we all are to finally be releasing the first platformed version of SpaceVenture. Before I get started here, it's very important that if you haven’t already read the last update, you do that now. A lot of questions you may have were addressed in that last update. Here is a link so you can read it now: CLICK HERE

As with the last update, we would like to do a quick FAQ:

Q: When can we expect to receive the download info?

A: Before midnight Pacific time. Be sure to look at your timezone in comparison with Pacific time.

Q: Who will be receiving download information?

A: All $15 and up Kickstarter and Paypal backers that were not given a refund will be receiving download information today

Q. Which operating system will SpaceVenture be released for today?

A: The release today is for Windows. Information on the other platforms can be found in the previous Kickstarter update linked above

Q: What if we would like to report bugs/issues that we find along the way?

A: The email you receive today will contain information on how to report stuff to us. We will not be looking for bug information in the Kickstarter comments.

Q: What about the backers that gave enough to receive in-game digital rewards as mentioned in the last update?

A: See info below

Q: When will the game be on Steam and possibly other online stores?

A: Hopefully soon, but we don’t have a specific date. That is what we will begin working on after today. We are putting together a trailer for the game and also planning to add some fun achievements that you can earn. Backers will receive Steam keys and the game will be available for purchase to the public as well.

Q: Do you have a press kit we could share?

A: This is the backer only release of SpaceVenture. When we go live with it in online stores, we plan to do a lot of press and promotion related activities and should have lots of info to share.

IN GAME BACKER REWARDS

We have had a lot of fun putting the finishing touches on these in the past few weeks. So how did it all turn out?

Your name in the credits: $100 and up backers will see their name or alias in the credits. Once you beat the game and the credits have scrolled, you will see a “Credits” button appear on the game menu and you can watch your name gloriously scroll up the screen until your heart's content :)

Fan/Name Vanity Cards: $500 and up backers were able to have their name and a tagline added to a “Backer Card'' in the game. As Ace Hardway, you’ll have access to a PDA. The PDA has apps! One of the apps you’ll start out the game with is called “Backer Cards''. The App will not be available to use until you have built Ace’s ship and flown out into space. Here’s a hint, try shooting stuff with your ship. Also, one of the fun things about SpaceVenture is that you’ll be able to revisit a lot of the previous areas you’ve explored in the game. Even after you beat the game and the credits have rolled you can do this. In fact, to collect all the Backer Cards, you’ll have to beat the game and revisit a few scenes.

Here is a look at the Backer Cards mechanic:

23d4d3bba8827cb319282520972a2a55_original.jpg

d62f343e5e25d64222294c17caeb6f55_original.jpg

Wall of Fame: $750 and higher backers got to have a photo posted on the Wall of Fame area of the game. You’ll encounter this area at Nurbs Landing!

513a287463c53da64886387497ba5981_original.jpg

Name a star in the game: $5000 and up backers got to name a star in the game. As you fly around in the various areas of space, you’ll see large stars, give them a look!

a22f45c394d66af3685a6bd88e0f7df6_original.jpg

So this is it everyone. Be on the lookout for that email later today (Sept 16th 2022). We are thrilled for you all to finally get to play this game and hope you’ll enjoy it. Thank you all again for your patience over the years.

WHILE YOU'RE WAITING ON THAT EMAIL, WE'D RECOMMEND YOU CHECK THESE OUT!

KEN AND ROBERTA WILLIAMS ARE MAKING A NEW GAME

Just in case you're out of the loop, we wanted to do a shout out to Ken and Roberta Williams along with our friend Marcus Mera. They are knee deep into remaking the game "Colossal Cave" into a new 3D/VR adventure game. We are really excited for them and can't wait to play their new game!

Please go check it out when you have some time!

https://www.colossalcave3d.com/

0a0340b0f458c7e60091ecce521fb52d_original.jpg

RON GILBERT'S RETURN TO MONKEY ISLAND IS COMING SEPTEMBER 19TH!

We love Ron's work and wanted to do a shout out to him and his team for the release of the new upcoming Monkey Island game. We can't wait to play it and hope you all will check it out as well!

https://returntomonkeyisland.com/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom