Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Space Hack interview at HC Gamer

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Space Hack

<a href=http://www.hcgamer.hu>HC Gamer</a> posted an <a href=http://www.hcgamer.hu/gamer/index.php?p=5&c=9632&tores=1>interview</a> with <b>Krzysztof Krawczyk</b> and <b>Darek Rusin</b> from <a href=http://www.rebelmind.com/spacehack>Rebelmind</a> about <a href=http://www.rebelmind.com/spacehack>Space Hack</a>, a sci-fi Diablo-like game
<br>
<br>
<blockquote><i>Tell us a little about the development of characters, skills and classes (if any)</i>
<br>
<br>
We kept the basic elements of character's development like: strength, knowledge, dexterity, vitality. These are the features, on which player has direct influence. There are also additional features, which depend on character’s development and equipment possessed at the moment. The whole system of character's development is based on good, tested methods used in other games. However we introduced new elements. One of them is that player doesn't have to stick to one development path. With the help of special biochips we can easily exchange values of particular features. I'll give an example. We were developing strength for example and our hero has become the master of two-handed ax, but we got bored and now we would like to shoot to aliens with super modern energy weapon. It is impossible in other games, because the development of one feature doesn't let you use the powerful enough weapon relating to other feature. You usually end up starting the game from the very beginning with a resolution of developing the other feature. Whereas in our system it is extremely easy. We just use the special biochip and exchange the value of 'strength' with 'knowledge' and in this very moment we are able to shoot. It gives great possibilities, because it enables trying all types of weapons without burdensome (for some players...) necessity of starting the game over and over again. </blockquote> Huh? Two-handed axe? But I thought it was a sci-fi... Anyway, anybody else thinks that the attribute switching chips idea is stupid?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgdot.com">RPG Dot</A>

Crappywarrior

Novice
Very stupid. It pretty much negates the need for building up anymore than one stat. You can instead opt to carry around a bunch of these chips and switch out the developed stat whenever you need another at a high level, then switch it back out when you're done. Unless the chips are exceedingly rare, or come with some other disadvantage, this is going to throw a monkey wrench in whatever balance they were hoping to accomplish with stats and their development.

Shevek

Arcane
The beauty of a good character development system is that by building certain aspects of a character and marginalizing others you build not only strengths but weaknesses as well. This makes one play through somewhat dynamic and personalized. System mechanics that undermine the weaknesses also undermine the value of the strengths and, ultimately, character development in general. Sadly, more and more games, in an effort not to frighten off mental midgets that are easily confused by simple character development mechanics, are implementing these "painless" character development systems (some mmos have skills you can "sell back," the atrocious DX2 allowed you to get rid of biomods, etc etc). I've come to the grim realization that I may never play a truly great CRPG with high development values again due to the proliferation of all of this streamlining across the genre.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
Its extremely smart ideaz !!!
Like this one !!!!!

rubberduckie01.jpg

This floating, waterproof little guy sits by your bath, jacuzzi or bed with nothing more than those big, innocent blue eyes to give away his real purpose in life. It looks like a rubber duckie, it floats like a rubber duckie...but squeeze this too-cute little bugger and you'll find from its substantial buzz that it doesn't feel like any rubber duckie you've had before! Rather than emitting the traditional squeak of a rubber duck, this guy emits vibrations (we recommend the beak and tail areas for optimal stimulation) that you turn on and off with a squeeze.

It's the ultimate vibe in disguise -- and makes a great gift. 5 1/2" long, 5 1/2" in diameter. Uses two AA batteries (included).

It even has its own theme song:

"Rubber Ducky"

Rubber Ducky, you're the one,
You make bathtime lots of fun,
Rubber Ducky, I'm awfully fond of you;

(woh woh, bee doh!)

Rubber Ducky, joy of joys,
When I squeeze you, you make noise!
Rubber Ducky, you're my very best friend, it's true!

(doo doo doo doooo, doo doo)

CHORUS: Every day when I
Make my to the tubby
I find a little fella who's
Cute and yellow and chubby

(rub-a-dub-a-dubby!)

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of you.

(repeat chorus)

Rubber Ducky, you're so fine
And I'm lucky that you're mine
Rubber ducky, I'm awfully fond of -
Rubber ducky, I'd like a whole pond of -
Rubber ducky I'm awfully fond of you!

(doo doo, be doo.)

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
That's certainly stupid, I agree. BTW, Krzysztof Krawczyk is one of the lamest singers this side of the Atlantic Ocean. Although he's quite good in Presley's repertoire.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yep, the whole replayability concept is totally overrated. I'm glad that somebody finally realized that. The next step is to have one class and one skill called uber skill that could be used in every situation. Imagine a frustration a player may experience playing one of those overhyped multi-skill games only to realize that a buggy game system didn't provide enough skill points to increase all the skills evenly. :shock: :lol: :

EEVIAC

Erudite
That's one thing I've never understood with RPG's, why persist with burdensome combat? If you lose a battle its not like you're dead or anything, you just reload and keep trying until you win. You may as well just be allowed to win from the start. Just give the PC all the weapons from the start with maxed character skills, then you have total choice. You're game should be like this, VD.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Funny you should say that, because that's exactly what I'm doing. You're right, people just keep reloading untill they win, so what's the point of all that frustration? Suppose a person is too fucking dumb to develop a combat-proof character or doesn't realize that you have to equip a weapon in order to use it. Is it fair to punish this player for his stupidity? No! Customer is always right, so we, at VD entertainment, have developed a new combat system called InstaWin: when somebody challenges you, we skip the combat animation, and just give a player the loot and experience. InstaWin is a win/win!

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
The thing that irritates me the most is that these kind of new takes on gaming are downgrading RPGs in a whole. They're not to be meant mainstream or to appease to a casual gamer, so appealing to the mass market is only dumbing down these games, and it only leads to people liking certain things that companies will have to keep on implementing when they want to be successful. When will the automation stop?

Also, since these people believe its burdensome to replay games, why not just go with a premade character with all classes/skills pumped up, and capable of doing everything? Really. Maxed abilities, no level cap, one hit-one kill items, all enemies stunned and with only 1 HP, etc. It would speed up be gaming, thats for sure, and it'd help me quickly finish games so i can move on to the next.

Good grief.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom