Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Space Hack glimpse at PixelRage

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Space Hack

<A href="http://www.pixelrage.ro/">Pixel Rage</A> has a long <A href="http://www.pixelrage.ro/users/viewart.php?artid=157&gid=207">preview</A> of <a href="http://spacehack.rebelmind.com/en/main">Space Hack</a>, which details several aspects of the game, including clone talk:
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Does the marketing say that Diablo is a success recipe? Yes. Does the game designer want to implement new facilities or has he a revolutionary idea for game play? This might be possible. Now put yourselves into the investor’s shoes and tell me what would you choose? Well, of course you would chose the solution already checked when it’s about your money that you had hardly earned. Are you still thinking that the clone is a terrible thing?</blockquote>
<br>
<br>
Success recipe? None of the clones have remotely come close to selling what the <A href="Http://www.blizzard.com/diablo">Diablo</A> games have done.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.bluesnews.com">Blue's News</A>

Deathy

Liturgist
That's inbred gaming marketing departments for you. Hell, I passed a marketing 101 subject at uni last year, and even I know enough to say that attempting to imitate others success is generally an idiotic idea.

Spazmo

Erudite
I took a class about Russia last semester and I know you can't just imitate the other successful guys in order for yourself to succeed.

Nightjed

Liturgist
so whats the revolutionary idea in space hack ? the weapons are not even futuristic ...
i didnt really like diablo2, i still think diablo1 was better, i would play a starcraft diablo tho, just because i kinda liked the setting (i dont see this happening in the near future anyway specially since blizzard is going into "mmorpg & console" mode)

Anonymous

I really hate people that let the shithead investors run the design, investors have proven themselves to be idiots, such as with Interplay. Do we really want such stupid people running the show on our games, especially RPGs?

I've said before that a reason games today are really lame is because they take all the 'popular' parts of games and then try to make a whole game using these frankenstein parts, the game turns out to be shit and nobody is happy, all to please Mr.Investor, usually.

bobbob

Novice
It's not a bad idea actually street fighter spawned many imitators a few of which were succesful. More recently Resident Evil spawned a horde of imitators some of which have been mildly succesful, like clock tower, silent hil(this one purports to be more intelligent than Resident Evil, it is stephen king meets resident evil. Just more pretentious.) It is all the rage now to make GTA clones like mafia and True Crime(Which on the PS2 has sold over a million units) which have been succesfull enough. It is often enough a good idea to copy a succesful design when you really aren't bursting with ideas like most of the industry.

I took a class about Russia last semester and I know you can't just imitate the other successful guys in order for yourself to succeed.

Fez

Erudite
The problem with most clones is that they always choose a successful example, such as Diablo but then rarely put even half the effort of the original in. It seems to be a common mistake in games development that to make a great game based on an established idea is going to somehow be far easier. Even if you hate Diablo you can see that a lot of work and clever design went into it. Blizzard didn't just try to make a superficial copy and they deservedly get praise for it. That's the difference.

Nightjed

Liturgist
they got a bit too much praise (read : hype), but i do agree they put a lot of work into it (with the art), but the design wasnt that clever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom