Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SOVL : Fantasy warhammer - It's Warhammer 6th edition in jank form!

Hell Swarm

Educated
Played the roguelike campaign (no MP) of this a lot. Fun game even if a bit basic for now. I find the elves and dwarves to be top tier, artillery is strong in this game,
anyone remember in older versions catapults attacking for 2d6? Fun stuff :D.

The random event where a group of your dudes gets transformed into wights can go fuck itself though.
I liked that event and wish there were more like it. It really tells a story when it happens and makes something unique. I'd like more campaigns to have cursed units or blessed units that fundamentally change their qualities.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
As a quick and dirty warhammer sim I think it's acceptable for what it is. Are there any other games like this? Not RTS, flank and rank tabletop games but digital.

IMO the closest thing would be Pike & Shot/Sengogu Jidai and Field of Glory series. These are turn based historical wargames with a very strong table top feel.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
As a quick and dirty warhammer sim I think it's acceptable for what it is. Are there any other games like this? Not RTS, flank and rank tabletop games but digital.

IMO the closest thing would be Pike & Shot/Sengogu Jidai and Field of Glory series. These are turn based historical wargames with a very strong table top feel.
Venerable Great Battles of ...- series is quite similar.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Shadow of the horned rat uses the same mercenary system, I forgot to mention that in OP

sser

Arcane
Developer
Run into Dorfs.

5+ to hit.
2+ for them to not get hit.

Seems fair :lol:

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Looking forward to seeing how this develops. For the moment it seems a bit too basic, and the AI is dumb, played the campaign thru once and found it rather easy.

Lacking variation, too, I felt like I kept getting the same maps over again.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Shadow of the horned rat uses the same mercenary system, I forgot to mention that in OP
I thought real-time games were a no-no.
I meant in the OP not recommendations. It borrows from the old DOS games.
Run into Dorfs.

5+ to hit.

They're slow. Get multi charges on them.

Multiple charges? How does one break off? The problem was I had one L'd off and yet I couldn't do any damage while they just eviscerated my bros. "Iron Guard" I think was the name of the troop. They also had a cannon (non-factor) and some auxiliary troops, but their elite guard just walked right through everything.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I thought real-time games were a no-no.
I meant in the OP not recommendations. It borrows from the old DOS games.
Run into Dorfs.

5+ to hit.

They're slow. Get multi charges on them.

Multiple charges? How does one break off? The problem was I had one L'd off and yet I couldn't do any damage while they just eviscerated my bros. "Iron Guard" I think was the name of the troop. They also had a cannon (non-factor) and some auxiliary troops, but their elite guard just walked right through everything.
Multiple units charging the same unit. So you come into a flank and the front at the same time.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
This is real time but it's got similar board game vibes

Played the free version of this from Itchio. Having a cooldown on your abilty to order units to simulate "sending a pigeon to relay the order" is an interesting idea.
It was also notable for not giving you any monetary rewards for completing regular battles. You were constantly selling your troops or buying "+10 gold" upgrades just to keep your campaign running.

Not exactly flank and rank but if you're interested in tabletop-like games there exists a guy who made a digital version of Space Crusade boardgame.
SpaceCrusade25tw0g7D.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8fc4q8ahfr33xmz/sc.zip - here is the download link.
This guy also made a digital version of HeroQuest and Battle Masters but i forgot where the links are.

Hell Swarm

Educated
I'd love to play proper versions of the old GW board games but I'm not trusting a mediafire link.. Shame Gorka Morka didn't get a proper game.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
What I want is a well-made Mordheim adaptation. No frills, just a straight copy of the TT rules to PC with some AI for opponents. Does such a thing exist?

Hell Swarm

Educated
What I want is a well-made Mordheim adaptation. No frills, just a straight copy of the TT rules to PC with some AI for opponents. Does such a thing exist?
They made an official one but it SUCKS. The AI is really bad and exploitable.

Johannes

Arcane
What I found worst about the Mordheim game is just the controls - you control each character in turn from an ass cam perspective, instead of ordering things from above. How do you take a tabletop game, port it to PC, and make it slower to play than the original?

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
Back to SOVL.
SOVL8HgQdLrjId.png

Vampire is quite killy once you get a bunch of levels and upgrades for her. Can learn some good spells too.
Orc boyfriend and his wyvern she took along for the ride wasn't quite as killy in comparison but he was still useful for his rear charges and occasionally dueling enemy leaders. Died in the final battle but not before claiming the Skaven Warlock's head :salute:.

Undead are quite amazing at forcing your enemy to waste a bunch of turns trying to kill a single skeleton/zombie squad thanks to the "no rout" rule and a possible access to reanimate spell. My vampire knightess even found a circle of power with an ice shield spell in it just to be extra mean.
Unfortunately, my army really lacked in the hardhitting department to take a proper advantage of my "anvils". A lot fights were quite tedious and long as my vampiress with her underwhelming cohort of simps and a single squad of wights were the only ones doing any real damage. Still need to play at least one other game as undead before i unlock Dread Knights.

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane

Hell Swarm

Educated
What I want is a well-made Mordheim adaptation.
with the city built with shoeboxes and piles of books. oh, good old days...
People are trying to revive that era of terrain but it always amounts to putting cocktail sticks into polystyrene balls and painting them like white dwarf did. It's really sad.
best attempt i saw is dude using bottle of tomatos as base for elf on a dragon.
Those were the days.. The oldhammer nostalgia is all about buying expensive models on Ebay, playing 2nd edition 40k and trying to recreate what people saw on white dwarf. It's sad that it's still hyper commercial GW cultish behaviour. I remember 2nd ed 40k and you used whatever minis you could find or afford. You didn't only buy GW branded Orcs, any Orc you could glue a gun to was fair game.

Reinhardt

Arcane
The oldhammer nostalgia is all about buying expensive models on Ebay
we didn't even had that in ukraine. me with friends just travelled to bigger citiy once in 1-2 months. there was a guy who actually brought new real minis from time to time and then he made metal copies of them. that's how our first armies came to be. mix of proxies, copies and some real minis.

Hell Swarm

Educated
The oldhammer nostalgia is all about buying expensive models on Ebay
we didn't even had that in ukraine. me with friends just travelled to bigger citiy once in 1-2 months. there was a guy who actually brought new real minis from time to time and then he made metal copies of them. that's how our first armies came to be. mix of proxies, copies and some real minis.
Ukraine soviet block recasts.. Fuck dude, how many toes do you have at this point?

There's lots of recasters in those circles who do it quietly and share with friends. 3D printing is taking a similar path where lots of STLs of 2nd ed models are floating around so you can print up an army if you want. I've considered it but I like the weight of metal and I don't play anything GW these days.

NwNgger

Educated
Also played this and it's solid. The systems are all there. But I think what will give this game a good push amongst Warhammer players is some models as opposed to blocks. Give us an army painter and the ability to customize the visuals of the units and a lot of people will come onboard. They don't even need to be animated. Just a cool monopose or the ability to set whatever pose we want. Just something nice visually to help get eyeballs on the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom