Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News South Park: The Stick of Truth to be released on December 10th

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
:smug: It's about time you conceded defeat. It's rare that someone can actually make something look worse by defending it, if I thought any of the people responding had even a sliver of sense I'd leave here believing that SP was a biased right wing program designed not to be entertaining, but as a try hard attempt to court controversy akin to, yes, you guessed it: FAMILY GUY.(But I don't, so I'll still get the game.)
You know, for all your posturing, you've really only managed to convince me that you know nothing about south park, making your opinions on the show meaningless.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
But the part where people having diarrhea right after their death? There is no "greater message" behind it. It's just a non-stop poop joke, and that's lowbrow.
Well, it's not just a poop joke. It's more of a "So unbelieveably stupid and pointless that it's becoming funny again" joke ---> self-irony.
At least that's what I find funny about it.

Self-irony = Oh shit we need a joke here but we can't think of anything genuinely funny so let's put in the most obvious joke possible, turn it up to 11, and wink while we deliver it.
Or they just think these kind of jokes are funny. As do I.
You obviously don't think they're funny. That's fine. But doesn't make it objectively bad humor.

Hipsterism = objectively bad. Self-irony = hipsterism. Therefore, self-irony = objectively bad.
South Park is older than Hipsterism. Self-irony is older than South Park. Therefore, Self-irony doesn't equal Hipsterism.

I like computer RPGs, not console ones.
So what RPG's of the last 10 years were better and/or more PCish than Obsidians?
I think only CD Projekt, Piranha Bytes and Bioware (well, not on the Codex I suppose) come to mind.Those companies made some RPG's that were really good (The Witcher series), or very not consolish (Gothic series).
But apart from that, I don't see where anybody could be even slightly better than Obsidian.
(If inXile will deliver - we will see.)

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
You know, for all your posturing, you've really only managed to convince me that you know nothing about south park, making your opinions on the show meaningless.
I don't really think he came here to talk about South Park, the game or the show.

:smug: It's about time you conceded defeat. It's rare that someone can actually make something look worse by defending it, if I thought any of the people responding had even a sliver of sense I'd leave here believing that SP was a biased right wing program designed not to be entertaining, but as a try hard attempt to court controversy akin to, yes, you guessed it: FAMILY GUY.(But I don't, so I'll still get the game.)
I don't have to convince you of anything, the replies were directed towards me, not the other way around. I made it clear from the get-go that I hadn't watched the show consistently since I was in the age group that would actually find it funny. This response is empty, you've already told me what you believe the show is about, the only thing you could possibly manage to convince me is that the show is worse than I thought.

I don't really think he came here to talk about South Park, the game or the show.
:hmmm:Please tell me why it is that I came here then;
This is gonna be good.

Last edited:
Please tell me about that age group thang.
Because, when I was like 15 I found SP to be pretty uninteresting and not so funny.
I started really watching and enjoying South Park at the age of 25.

Because, when I was like 15 I found SP to be pretty uninteresting and not so funny.
Maybe I'll only like South Park when I'm as old as you then:decline:. I can understand not liking it when you're young because you don't get the jokes(Although by 15 your probably should.), when I was a kid I only understand 2/3rds:)retarded:wut is clitoris?) of the humor but still found it generally funny. As did all of my friends, was definitely my childhood show, as I got older most people I knew, along with myself no longer watched/cared about the show, don't take it an insult, it's just my personal experience. In all honesty I did kind of overplay my dislike of the show, it's not something I watch but it's not something I hate.(Last episode I watched was one about memes, it was terribly unfunny and misinformed, :keepmymoney: but the fact that I bought it all reflects that I still think it can be funny...).

Maybe I'll only like South Park when I'm as old as you then:decline:.
That was not the point of my post. My point was: Please don't tell me it's objectively unfunny when you grow up.
But the rest of your post at least sounds like you accept the idea of non-objectivity when it comes to judge SP's humor, so I'm all fine with your view.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
It's so strange that this game exists. Of all the settings to use as an RPG...why would anyone say "Let's make a South Park RPG". Love the show..but who would play this?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
As much as I hate South Park now you'd have to be a complete hipster to claim it never had anything genuinely good to offer.

Declinator

Arbiter
I like computer RPGs, not console ones.
So what RPG's of the last 10 years were better and/or more PCish than Obsidians?
I think only CD Projekt, Piranha Bytes and Bioware (well, not on the Codex I suppose) come to mind.Those companies made some RPG's that were really good (The Witcher series), or very not consolish (Gothic series).
But apart from that, I don't see where anybody could be even slightly better than Obsidian.
(If inXile will deliver - we will see.)

Knights of the Chalice, no question.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why do you hate Southpark Jasede?
It's popamole now; maybe I am just used to it but the kids are no longer as naive as they used to be. That was part of the fun. Cartman was at his best when he was naive and silly and cruel- now he's just being Cartman. You know? Did you see that "everything is shit" episode? The first part of that episode I really liked; that's how I feel about the newer Southpark seasons. The Scot Tenorman episode works because Cartman was always so naive- it's perhaps one of the best episodes because he's just a little kid in it- a horrible, evil, cruel little kid.

They grew up too much, you know? It's all pop culture and stuff now. Back then it was more like "Republicans, Democrats, whatever- it doesn't matter. Stupid, hypocritical people suck; let's make fun of the hypocrisy of the world."

Arkadin

Arcane
I definitely enjoy the pop culture stuff the least. Occasionally they were creative with it but for the most part it's just kind of meh. I enjoyed the episodes that were just less pop culture OR politically focused, like the one where the kids are trying to find a way for their baseball team to not advance in the playoffs, which would ruin their entire summer, but the problem is that the other kids are trying to do the same thing, meanwhile the parents are just living through their kids' athletic successes. Their interpretations of children's worldviews like this are more amusing to me than when they just use the children to stand in for their own adult views.

Why do you hate Southpark Jasede?
It's popamole now; maybe I am just used to it but the kids are no longer as naive as they used to be. That was part of the fun. Cartman was at his best when he was naive and silly and cruel- now he's just being Cartman. You know? Did you see that "everything is shit" episode? The first part of that episode I really liked; that's how I feel about the newer Southpark seasons. The Scot Tenorman episode works because Cartman was always so naive- it's perhaps one of the best episodes because he's just a little kid in it- a horrible, evil, cruel little kid.

They grew up too much, you know? It's all pop culture and stuff now. Back then it was more like "Republicans, Democrats, whatever- it doesn't matter. Stupid, hypocritical people suck; let's make fun of the hypocrisy of the world."

It was always pop culture and stuff from the very first pilot. It probably is that you just didn't get the references back then. But I agree with the naivete. It is not completely lost now but they are not the same naive kids, which isn't necessarily bad but it is a valid reason to base your preferences on.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I never minded the pop culture in South Park. To be honest, it is part of the appeal of the show. A pop culture show about pop culture.

I just hope it is not too much fan service since I have not seen the last seasons.

A user named cat

The new season is okay if it's any indication of the game's plot quality. They did a Minecraft episode that had some funny moments. I still enjoy the show but there are better cartoons on nowadays, i.e. Adventure Time, Legend of Korra, The Regular Show, American Dad, etc.

gromit

Arcane
I like almost all of the episodes I've seen -- some of those were groaners, and they pretty obviously wanted us to groan.

They'll make a pun so bad you didn't even think of it. They'll run out every cliche in the book, mock themselves while they do it, and then make an episode about doing it. They'll stretch out the most foul ideas and explore every nook and cranny until they get you to finally laugh. They'll sink to the gutter in .5s when you least expect it. Over the years they've gotten very good at covering up their set-ups, and bits of sleight-of-hand, so it can still be "out of nowhere" even when you know it's coming.

Though it started out as two guys doing silly voices to the construction-paper version of Flash, and is now two guys doing silly voices to the Flash version of construction-paper... it has always oozed craftsmanship and intent. But yes, if you give creative people money and editorial control, they'll eventually just fuck with you for the sake of it, and boy do those two like fucking with people (the first few shots of Team America caused an exec to scream "they fucked us again!")

What I find very interesting, when talking to people who don't like it, or once did and stopped, is that you can sometimes pinpoint when and where they gave up, just from the description of what the show "became" in their eyes. The same is true for people who defend it: you can usually tell what stretch was the peak of their viewing. The show changes, so much, while Matt and Trey's indistinguishable voice (love it or hate it) runs through it all.

That's my favorite bit about it -- rather than slowly shift, or cycle through old bit characters with nothing new to say? Different stretches, seasons, and episodes can operate in completely different modes, and they've established a great toolbox (and quite the sandbox) along the way. They just fuck around with what amuses them, and mercilessly fuck with what displeases them, and this either amuses or displeases you.

At its best, it's given me some of the best (media-related) laughs in my life. At its worst, it's still better than most of the lazy joke dispenaries and pompous bullshit floating around there, as long as you don't expect it to suddenly not be South Park. I was pleased when I heard about those first quest drafts getting rejected -- I don't want to play through a prolonged video game joke. I want South Park, carefully, precisely adorned with each and every bit of mad bullshit they've come up with over the years.

Last edited:

oljebox

Educated
They just fuck around with what amuses them

Except for Muslims. I want their last episode to be a big fuck you to oversensitive Muslims.

I never really watched it, but what I've caught here and there has sometimes been amusing-ish. The episode that most sticks in my mind is the one about Britney Spears. That had something interesting to say.

I agree that the show was at its best when the characters were still naive. Now, eh.

Septaryeth

Augur
They just fuck around with what amuses them
Except for Muslims. I want their last episode to be a big fuck you to oversensitive Muslims.

I'm sure there was one episode(a two-episode special, in fact) about how in the South Park world,
the TV show Family Guy was going to tell a gag about Muhammad,
and that riled up the entire US and the Muslim world.

And the Simpsons.

Does that count?

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Did you see that "everything is shit" episode? The first part of that episode I really liked; that's how I feel about the newer Southpark seasons.
When I think of the depravity and brilliance of South Park, I think of the "everything is shit" episode. Crass, horrible, but dead on the money.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom