Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

St. Toxic

Arcane
I don't see what's trollish about that comment.

It's trollish because of all the Obs fanboys around these parts and there's certainly some truth to my comment being trollish in that regard. But I wouldn't be trolling if I said, truthfully, that Obs has yet to release a good game and I'm not just talking about bugs or rushed content here. For reference, I'd be willing to parade the three broken gems that came out of Troika despite their various flaws and shortcomings; occasionally I might even replay them. Obsidian's creations, on the other hand, go in the trash after 1/3 of a play-through.

The real WTF is that he forgot Dungeon Siege. :troll:

Never picked it up. Is it any good?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd replay Alpha Protocol over Arcanum any day of the fucking week.
While I wouldn't quite go that far, I'd still defend Obsidian for being pretty much the only major studio that even has the potential to release great RPGs. Plus writing is a huge deal for me (in RPGs) and Obsidian seems like the only company that gives two fucks about story and dialog, and that includes Bioware.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
While I wouldn't quite go that far, I'd still defend Obsidian for being pretty much the only major studio that even has the potential to release great RPGs. Plus writing is a huge deal for me (in RPGs) and Obsidian seems like the only company that gives two fucks about story and dialog, and that includes Bioware.
There's a difference between caring and being good at something. There are lots of game devs that care a lot about story, they just suck at it.

(Irrational, Quantic Dreams, Bioware)

Zetor

Arcane
There's a difference between caring and being good at something. There are lots of game devs that care a lot about story, they just suck at it.

Hey, Freedom Force had a great story!

edit to add actual content: I'd argue that developers aren't really bad at creating stories, they're bad at presenting them. Video game writing is srs bsns, apparently.

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Arcanum has horrific gameplay and a shit ton of combat, with more filler between its bright spots. AP is only <15 hours long and its bright spots come more often, plus the sheer amount of choice and consequence promises very different experiences every time compared to Arcanum which doesn't have as many noteworthy examples of C&C.

I loathed Neverwinter Nights 2 and I'd say it's one of the most boring RPGs I've played, but AP and New Vegas are easily up there with other "flawed gem" classics, so I give Obsidian some brownie points.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane

I'd say everyone cares in some way. Bioware, Obsidian, Quantic Dream and Irrational imo have all different goals when it comes to narrative imo-

Said goal is just different. What Xor probably means is caring about exploring possible videogame options for storytelling rather than just trying to write a movie and caring for a narrative that actually has depth to it.

(Not that SP specifically is a good example here)

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd say everyone cares in some way. Bioware, Obsidian, Quantic Dream and Irrational imo have all different goals when it comes to narrative imo-

Said goal is just different. What Xor probably means is caring about exploring possible videogame options for storytelling rather than just trying to write a movie and caring for a narrative that actually has depth to it.

(Not that SP specifically is a good example here)
No, there are game devs that do not care about narrative.

Firaxis, Paradox, DICE,

DeepOcean

Arcane

So true. Those people make games all about story but don't have a clue what a good story is. It is a pity that the people who buy their games don't have a clue too. :lol:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanum has horrific gameplay and a shit ton of combat, with more filler between its bright spots. AP is only <15 hours long and its bright spots come more often, plus the sheer amount of choice and consequence promises very different experiences every time compared to Arcanum which doesn't have as many noteworthy examples of C&C.

I loathed Neverwinter Nights 2 and I'd say it's one of the most boring RPGs I've played, but AP and New Vegas are easily up there with other "flawed gem" classics.
You're going to call me out for liking Arcanum more than AP? Seriously? I mean, Arcanum has its problems, but AP is hardly a beacon of good shooter mechanics and stealth design itself. Arcanum's combat might be boring but at least it's brief. In AP you spend 90% of your time dealing with bad AI and cover shooting to get to the good parts.

Also, Arcanum doesn't need the scripted C&C sequences that AP has because in Arcanum you're free to basically do whatever you want. Problems naturally have mutliple solutions in many cases because of the way the game is designed. What you chose to do and how it plays out are Arcanum's C&C. The Fallout games worked largely the same way.

DeepOcean

Arcane

If their goal is to not suck, they failed badly.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
15977.jpg

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron

I loathed Neverwinter Nights 2 and I'd say it's one of the most boring RPGs I've played, but AP and New Vegas are easily up there with other "flawed gem" classics.
You're going to call me out for liking Arcanum more than AP? Seriously? I mean, Arcanum has its problems, but AP is hardly a beacon of good shooter mechanics and stealth design itself. Arcanum's combat might be boring but at least it's brief. In AP you spend 90% of your time dealing with bad AI and cover shooting to get to the good parts.

Also, Arcanum doesn't need the scripted C&C sequences that AP has because in Arcanum you're free to basically do whatever you want. Problems naturally have mutliple solutions in many cases because of the way the game is designed. What you chose to do and how it plays out are Arcanum's C&C. The Fallout games worked largely the same way.
Not calling you out bro, my opinion's not fact. I just think Arcanum is an inferior copy of Fallout 1 and 2 and its flaws outweigh its strengths.

Duraframe300

Arcane
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._of_comfort_zone_with_new_South_Park_game.php

Jordan Thomas (Thief: Deadly Shadows and Bioshock 2 creative lead) has also worked on South Park.

Fuck, this whole game is brimming with talent. I now feel obliged to buy this game.

Well, its more like he playtested and gave feedback, but its nice that he pushed for more alternate routes in the level design.

Though, that hopefully doesn't mean spending time exploring makes the game too easy.

Avellion

Erudite
As far as I am concerned, titles like NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, Fallout: New Vegas, Kotor 2 and even Alpha Protocol is better than anything BieberWare has put out since 2001.

And Daggerfall kept me entertained while it lasted and left me with a good taste. Unlike Mass Effect 1, which left me with a very sour taste in my mouth with both the Dialogue system and the battle system being some of the worst I had witnessed in gaming yet, I even said it cant get much worse than this... oh how wrong I was.

Lhynn

Arcane
And Daggerfall kept me entertained while it lasted and left me with a good taste. Unlike Mass Effect 1, which left me with a very sour taste in my mouth with both the Dialogue system and the battle system being some of the worst I had witnessed in gaming yet, I even said it cant get much worse than this... oh how wrong I was.
jesus fucking christ, i cant argue that they are not very good, but worst youve witnessed? Have you played what, 4 games in total?

Avellion

Erudite
jesus fucking christ, i cant argue that they are not very good, but worst youve witnessed? Have you played what, 4 games in total?
Poorly worded on my part.

I meant the ME1 dialogue system is amongst the worst I have witnessed in gaming (I absolutely hate Dialogue wheels and paraphrasing makes it even worse). ME1's battle system cannot be amongst the worst, not when stuff like Oblivion exists, still pretty terrible though.

Deleted member 7219

Not sure how it's a 1-up over Obsidian since Bioware made Mass Effect...

Because there's at least one good game under the studio name.

I can see where he's coming from. Personally, I don't hate Bioware like many Codexers do, but they are yet to impress me the way Obsidian have done. I haven't seen Bioware make a truly original, dark and reactive story. Dragon Age came close but it was ruined by the romances and some derpy plot elements. It is annoying how successful they have been and how Obsidian keep struggling.

I just hope Stick of Truth will be critically and commercially successful so Obsidian get this "buggy developer that releases unfinished games" millstone off their backs. Pillars of Eternity will be their "we can still make classic RPGs too" game and then I hope they'll make a spiritual successor to MotB or even another Fallout game.

Guess they grasped... THE SHORT END OF THE STICK!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kill me.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So apparently the South Park game will be heavily censored in the usual countries:

Germany for example will have the "jew" class renamed.
Australia will have some Alien Anal probe stuff cut and other parts involving Aliens censored.

http://kotaku.com/south-park-game-hilariously-censored-in-australia-1486177087

/e: doing some digging there appears to be a special version for Russia as well, couldn't find any infos on what has been cut for them, or if anything at all for that matter. Perhaps some stuff involving Stalin? :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom