Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Source for Greyhawk information

Zogg

Novice
Like most of us, I'm really interested in ToEE and excited that it will be based in a setting other than the FR - even though I also love that setting. Does anyone know of a site online that gives great detail of the setting's logistics - it's inhabitants, dieties, etc.?

Also, how do y'all think the setting will be used in the game. Since it's primarily just a dungeon, do you think the game will be pretty generic D&D?

Finally - what is the general opinion of Greyhawk as a setting. Will ToEE resurrect the setting as a viable alternative to FR in RPGs? I guess a lot of the opinions will be best guesses, but I'm curious nonetheless.

I haven't really seen anything else. Tim Cain said there would be an official announcement "next week" about 3 weeks ago. If you're really into spoilers, you could probably try to pick up the old module in a used book store or Kazaa. More recently, I've seen something, I think it's called the D&D Gazeteer, that gives an overview of the Greyhawk setting, updated for 3E. The core D&D books are actually based in Greyhawk, though. Hextor, Vecna, Heironeous, etc. are all Greyhawk deities, and many spells are named after Greyhawk wizards.

triCritical

Erudite
In the gamespot interview, Tim Cain suggest that he would like to do Against the Giants. Who knows maybe with this new engine, it would start a series of games much like the gold box games.

However, what I still don't understand is if he will be doing a literal translation of the module. Or just using it as a setting as well as inspiration? The hack and slash aspect of the module and the phat l00t found in the greyhawk do not seem to be familiar territory for troika.

Anyhow I would be interested in a forum, were the developers might discuss certain aspects of the project.

Well, Arcanum did have some pretty dreary dungeon crawls at times. He mentioned evil parties being able to negotiate with demons to join their party, though, maybe there will be a good bit of role-playing with the bad guys. I'm really curious how it's all going to turn out, too. Most modules as written are just monsters and treasure, though, it's generally up to the DM to flesh things out, the module just saves a little time drawing out maps and placing appropriate encounters and treasure.

triCritical

Erudite
I have just started to replay Arcanum two days ago. And you are right there are some pretty combat intensive areas. I think the goal of the game was to allow non-combat characters to enter heavy combat situations relying on NPC's.

Anyhow, I do not remember the last time I have been this excited about a game. Hopefully we will have some more info soon.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
I know a few areas in Arcanum can be skipped altogether by persuasive characters.

What Arcanum did with charisma/beauty/persuasiveness was a big step in the right direction, in my opinion. Pretty much unheard of, too, in the RPG scene.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom