Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul vs Soulless in video games

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
The lengths weebs will go to justify their pedophilic urges...

Modron

Arcane
bottom - the nigger has been recast as a... uhhh... latinx... or any of those whatever brown ethinicities... to be more politically correct, I guess - SOULLESS
Trying to appeal to the Japanese fans who had Barret as their least favorite character in the entire series, or second to last. When every other character from seven was basically in the top 10 with more minor ones still in the top 20.

Barret was stitched together from action movie stereotypes by Japs who'd never seen a black person. In the latter game they tried to make him "MTV cool"; they probably even hired professional advice from lizard people in America on how not to make him offensive to other lizards and faggots. The problem is that his character is supposed to be raw and honest, to contrast with Cloud's too cool for school act. It's a buddy cop dynamic. He actually has a lot more depth than Zell, Wakka and other big dumb characters from later games. They didn't have any right to ruin him.

every time there's a black dude in something made in japan it's because they want to make him "american". it's slowly replacing the blue eyed blonde guy as the stereotype and it stems from the amount of blacks in american media. some japanese even think half of the american population is black because of this.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

911 Jumper

Educated
One of the reasons I dislike FF7R's (and Advent Children's) “realistic” character designs is that the FF7 cast now look like a bunch of cosplayers larping as anime characters.

It's like that awful 2009 Dragonball Z live action film where Goku and the rest were portrayed by real actors and actresses. It just looks goofy and kills the charm that comes with stylised visuals.

FF7 characters were never designed to look realistic – Nomura's sketches below
x9v3nrdzbpiptllcsk2r.png

911 Jumper

Educated
I used to be fond of Nomura's work during the PS1 and early PS2 days. Now I dislike most of his character designs. I think Final Fantasy X-2 was the start of the decline. I thought X-2's Nooj was particularly awful.

Nomura has been vilified because he embodies the change in FF into full anime shenanigans, coupled with the fact that he took over the character design part as Amano began distancing himself from gaming in general. The belt meme comes from him, it's like Rob Liefeld and pouches.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
One of the reasons I dislike FF7R's (and Advent Children's) “realistic” character designs is that the FF7 cast now look like a bunch of cosplayers larping as anime characters.

It's like that awful 2009 Dragonball Z live action film where Goku and the rest were portrayed by real actors and actresses. It just looks goofy and kills the charm that comes with stylised visuals.

FF7 characters were never designed to look realistic – Nomura's sketches below
x9v3nrdzbpiptllcsk2r.png
I always liked that advent children added texture to clothing. A lot of cosplays pick the cheapest material in the right colour. Adapting the clothing to actual fabrics with suitable texture looks so much better and advent children did that.

FF7R's problem is it's modern garbage. So many areas you enter and end up locked in an hour of slowly walking while characters say nothing relevant. I really enjoyed the combat but gave up on the game doing the tranny Cloud stuff because the constant 'story' segments were painfully dull and dragged out.

911 Jumper

Educated
I always liked that advent children added texture to clothing. A lot of cosplays pick the cheapest material in the right colour. Adapting the clothing to actual fabrics with suitable texture looks so much better and advent children did that.

FF7R's problem is it's modern garbage. So many areas you enter and end up locked in an hour of slowly walking while characters say nothing relevant. I really enjoyed the combat but gave up on the game doing the tranny Cloud stuff becjause the constant 'story' segments were painfully dull and dragged out.
I've never played FF7 Remake, and I doubt I ever will because I don't have a PS5 or a gaming rig. The combat footage I've seen looked good – it is visually impressive for what it does. It's true, FF7R implements a bunch of those annoying modern game concepts, like slow walking segments. The main thing that puts me off, though, is the continuation of AC's “realistic”art direction. It just doesn't suit FF7. I'm sure people here will disagree, but something closer to say the visual style of BotW or Astral Chain w/ the power of PS5 would have been better, I think.

we came full circle and now nomura is worshipped.
The thread is about soul. His VII characters had a lot of soul. He hadn't even fully developed his style yet, which is a good thing. Cloud looks like he was designed by a 12 year old. That's perfectly fine, here. The new characters hedge their bets, they want to be cool but not too much, it's like they were made to avoid criticism. An appropriate representation of the age we live in.

The thread is about soul. His VII characters had a lot of soul. He hadn't even fully developed his style yet, which is a good thing. Cloud looks like he was designed by a 12 year old. That's perfectly fine, here. The new characters hedge their bets, they want to be cool but not too much, it's like they were made to avoid criticism. An appropriate representation of the age we live in.
New FF has a mainstream approach -- FF7 was still a game made by otaku for otaku that happened to make it big. It's still an old FF at its core. FF8 shook things up...

Meanwhile, Amano couldn't help himself and made Cloud as a synth pop frontman.

ukHqapBQWOfF4-FUygu_pVn8MjPL3WL4-9FTXvMiw4s.jpg

7ceb8f39f073ff60f7f215b10e7db4a1.jpg

a52cjpshyhd61.jpg

a5d255ef111e394752d78353b363a85a.jpg

New FF has a mainstream approach -- FF7 was still a game made by otaku for otaku that happened to make it big. It's still an old FF at its core. FF8 shook things up...

Meanwhile, Amano couldn't help himself and made Cloud as a synth pop frontman.

ukHqapBQWOfF4-FUygu_pVn8MjPL3WL4-9FTXvMiw4s.jpg

7ceb8f39f073ff60f7f215b10e7db4a1.jpg

a52cjpshyhd61.jpg

a5d255ef111e394752d78353b363a85a.jpg

Those are cool, I'd seen them a very long time ago. It's hard to imagine how it'd shape our interpretation of the characters. Aeris looks like a queen or a sorceress, Cloud like a tragic hero(I won't judge Barret, that seems like an early draft not based on anything concrete). The Nomura designs are obviously more basic in every sense, but they work better by what they don't show. When we meet Aeris, she's just supposed to be a cute flower girl who's somewhat mysterious, while Cloud is an energetic young man full of confidence. Both designs are naive enough that we're able to project their other qualities on them as they reveal themselves.

Obviously, this is all in retrospect. I'd also risk saying that Yamano's designs seem more adequate for a 2D game and they might've felt slightly out of place in the brutish looking 3D world of VII. They correctly judged that this world wasn't' supposed to look like a fairy tale. In any case, it would be interesting to see those ideas fully developed in a slightly different game, perhaps with today's technology. I would be excited to see it in a way I can't be with modern remakes.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
every time there's a black dude in something made in japan it's because they want to make him "american". it's slowly replacing the blue eyed blonde guy as the stereotype and it stems from the amount of blacks in american media. some japanese even think half of the american population is black because of this.
Maybe.
But the japanese still put more whites in their games at this point than the western gaming industry does.

Falksi

Arcane
You see this but you also forget how Nintendo had to prove things to the public because of Sega. They wanted to show off that the SNES/Super Famicom was a powerful machine, especially after Sega was seen as the technical innovator and "edgy kid" of the gaming world. Project Ultra 64 (later rebranded as Nintendo 64) was being delayed time and time again so the major thing about late stage SNES was how great their arcade ports were, with Killer Instinct and all. I came across a japanese forum where they asked what was the point where gaming died, and the unanimous answer was when Sega stepped down as a major player in the game. Sega was Nintendo's rival. They wanted the same audience, and it says a lot that Sony went for the older kids instead. Play Station was just a hair in the mane of the tech giant that Sony was and is. Gaming was Sega's and Nintendo's forte. But once Sega is out, Nintendo has no real competition, and therefore they have to stop trying. They don't need to. Nintendo stopped trying things when Sega wasn't there to provide an attractive counterpoint.

Absolutely spot on. That competition helped drive the industry to new peaks.

More-so, the SEGA philosophy (especially SEGA of America) was to get ahead by giving the player the best product available. Yes they were obviously a business and weren't averse to the odd skanky practice, but they believed that the better the product the better the sales. A bloke I've become mates with over the past few years used to be a games tester & eventually producer for them, and he STILL to this day takes enormous pride in the work he did. He often brags off about how few bugs are to be found in the games he worked on, and it's incredibly refreshing to be reminded of just how much some gaming staff used to work their arses off to give the consumer a quality product. Now all we mostly have are lazy woke cunts with their "the audience will test it, then mod it" attitude.

Since SEGA fell from grace Nintendo have been able to rely on milking a very blinkered and loyal fanbase without any real effort beyond "here's a new Zelda/Mario" every few years. Hell, some of their fanboys are still telling people to buy a Switch over a Steam Deck :lol:

I came across a japanese forum where they asked what was the point where gaming died, and the unanimous answer was when Sega stepped down as a major player in the game.

Sega's games are actually better nowadays.

I honestly never liked their old arcadey style; their good games were essentially Sonic, Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue, with the first two being just "good enough" while the third one aged horribly.

Nowadays they make Yakuza and own Creative Assembly and Atlus, which is a massive improvement, even if Atlus and CA are both not as great as they used to be.

The DreamCast was definitely a great console, though.
Laughs in Streets Of Rage

...Golden Axe, Afterburner, Shining Force 1-3, Phantasy Star 1-4, Comix Zone, Shinobi series, Landstalker, Thunderforce series, Aleste series etc. etc.

SEGA make some great RPGs now, but their old stuff was top cock too.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Since SEGA fell from grace Nintendo have been able to rely on milking a very blinkered and loyal fanbase without any real effort beyond "here's a new Zelda/Mario" every few years. Hell, some of their fanboys are still telling people to buy a Switch over a Steam Deck :lol:
I own both and they're very different machines. I wouldn't buy a child a steam deck, but I would buy them a switch. Being able to physically give a kid a boxed game to open on Christmas is a very different experience and one I think merits the Switch almost entirely on it's own.

Did Sony go for a different audience or did they go for the same audience that had now grown up a lot? It's hard to judge Sega/Nintendo because it's very regional. The Master system smoked the NES in many regions while it barely existed in others. There's lots of American legal battles and bullshit surrounding the two but the UK was too busy playing on the C64 and Amiga to care about Nintendo until the SNES and N64.

Falksi

Arcane
I own both and they're very different machines. I wouldn't buy a child a steam deck, but I would buy them a switch. Being able to physically give a kid a boxed game to open on Christmas is a very different experience and one I think merits the Switch almost entirely on it's own.

Did Sony go for a different audience or did they go for the same audience that had now grown up a lot? It's hard to judge Sega/Nintendo because it's very regional. The Master system smoked the NES in many regions while it barely existed in others. There's lots of American legal battles and bullshit surrounding the two but the UK was too busy playing on the C64 and Amiga to care about Nintendo until the SNES and N64.
Oh sure, I can totally see why a Switch could be better for a kid. But I'm talking grown adults over 30 asking "what games console should I buy out the following?" and fanboys saying simply "Switch coz it is da best!"

Yeah, coming from the UK it's weird as fuck seeing the NES worshipped so much by some quarters. As a kid everyone I knew, including myself, thought it was shit and a distant 2nd to the Master System. I mean, we all wanted arcade games at home, so SEGA were always gonna be in front in that respect, but "Double" Dragon swung the 8-bit era for me. Seeing my mate get excited for it on NES, invite us lads over to play it and then it only being 1 player was hilarious lol. It's fucking criminal how overlooked systems like the Amiga and C64 are by the mainstream media who re-write history with Nintendo bias. The amount of times I've read bullshit such as "Nintendo invented the analogue joypad" or "Nintendo invented shoulder buttons on gamepads" is unreal lol.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
But the japanese still put more whites in their games at this point than the western gaming industry does.
Is Tifa white? Is Cloud? Is Aeris?

Autistic slap fight here we come.

East Asians are white in the most fundamental sense. The earliest Europeans who had contact with them described them as such.
They built successful high trust societies, but they still eat dogs. Their perspectives on non-human animals are so far removed from White, they can at best be called honorary Aryans.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom