Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soul nomad and world eaters.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It starts with introduction of boy and a girl who are training from theirs childhood in a hidden village to defeat monsters who devastated surrounding countries. After meeting with elder who gave them weapons and send them out of villages, the boy and the gilr all three... Yes it's bad ass like that.

Basically it reminded me about Taliban youngsters that are send to some high risk mission...

Meanwhile the current government of that country, yes that country that was totally devastated by these monsters... Actually was it? ...decided it's a BAD idea to allow any retard attack that monster who actually is few (what?)... ...sleeping be killed wake it up and causing it ravage countryside and blow up capital yet again. These years of training were actually quite useful for dispatching all these guards.

It has a lot of choices and consequences. For example you can help one person, or go to sleep early, or visit other person. You'd discover different facts when you visit each person, or you can decide to go to sleep and possibly not find anything. Yours choice.

Really bad choices are marked by a skull, which is nice for these who are playing at one save. (New game+ has more of these choices because the main character remembers stuff and his decisions are not filtered by his experiences from living in that hidden village.)

(BTW one of available actions is going to clean messed head of one of characters in the party... Occassionally one of these stuff from his head manifests around them, and helps them to kick ass. Kotaru is great. One of characters also allows, when you get enough GIL points, to order people around do... For example you can order shopkeeper to fight, and after you defeat him he holds a grudge. He started it, you seen it that shopkeeper assaulted us first, that animal. Then the shopkeeper would take revenge for what you did to him when he would get the chance.)

Lots of choices and consequences, a typical strategy game.

So have you tried it? How did you liked that psycho?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's definitely a good SRPG. To me it felt like being significantly less grind-heavy than your typical Nippon Ichi titles. The combat mechanics is interesting, with a lot of control over different tactical aspects and squad set-up. So yeah, I approve.
I have yet to go through the New Game+, though.

pros:
Interesting combat system (though ridiculously flimsy, you have to restrain yourself from using obviously available ways to level to 500 in 20 mins in a game where the final boss is like level 40).
Gig (he becomes more and more of a pussy later on sadly).

cons:
Everything else. Typical JRPG crap. 'Choices' don't matter anything more then whose ending slide you end up with. Game is horrifyingly linear, and the plot can be charitably described as completely fucking random as whoever made it up just forgot about killing the world eaters 1/3rd of the way in. Characters other than Gig are completely boring wimps that you could stick straight into FFX and not notice the difference. The drawn-outness of the plot is reminiscent of what a Bioware game would be if the plot decided that fucking around in every character's personal side quests was mandatory and that every one of them had the same variation on a 'chosen one' bullshit pulled out of nowhere.

Black Cat

Magister
It starts with introduction of boy and a girl who are training from theirs childhood in a hidden village to defeat monsters who devastated surrounding countries. After meeting with elder who gave them weapons and send them out of villages, the boy and the gilr all three... Yes it's bad ass like that.

Actually, no. It starts with the introduction of choose your own gender and a girl who is really a cow and wears a big ass bell and can stampede things, and if you are a girl choose your own gender will get some really weird moments after becoming, ahm, Gig's hostess.

And Gig is made of hot and cool, with enough of sweet and cute and emo to go awwww, look how cute! He wants to slaughter everyone!

It's a pretty cool game, I guess, though I left it alone when my OCD kicked in after I discovered getting nine tiles in my main character's room would be more effort than it was worth. Then I lost interest on it, some time I should try to go back and win it.

It's a pretty damn good game, and anyone who puts in the effort to finish the main storyline but then ignores the Demon Path is doing themselves a disservice.

Also it gains bonus points for finally answering where Walnut ended up after the events in Phantom Brave, and for showing the results of Asagi's apprenticeship to Zetta. Girl got scary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom