Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sony is buying Bungie for $3.6 billion

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
I don't think these japs know how money works. You're supposed to buy good companies.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't think these japs know how money works. You're supposed to buy good companies.
The Codex:
Hurr-durr LOL, Sony bought crappy Bungie. LOL

Meanwhile at Bungie HQ during Destiny business meeting:
tenor.png

Hellraiser

Arcane
Sony buying EA would be :incline: They would at least be willing to give some dev with half a brain a chance to resurrect some old IP as something other than a mobile gatcha/pay2win scam.

Hell, EA is so horrible with the IPs they own that anyone buying them, with the exception of UbiShit, would be incline. Maybe CDP should scam more kwan jews into gibbing them monies so that they can assimilate EA, probably a better idea than what they did with soybeerpunked 2077.

J1M

Arcane
I hope those Bungie employees were looking forward to working on a WWII looter shooter.

Codex Year of the Donut
I don't get it.

Bungie is as washed up a studio as you can get. Did they buy them, just to buy someone?

Destiny 2 is a massively successful live service looter shooter.
It may be, but it's not a $3.6 billion dollar looter shooter.
That's half as much as Microsoft paid for the entirety of Bethesda. I don't mean Bethesda the developer, I mean Zenimax the parent company including Bethesda the publisher.
Bethesda, Arkane, Id, Zenimax Online, etc.,
Elder scrolls(including Online), Fallout, Doom, Quake, Rage, Starfield, Dishonored, Prey, Wolfenstein, ...

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Blackmail is the only thing that could ever make sense in this. There is no rational explanation possible.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Oh no what could this mean for such important franchises such as Halo?

(Who cares?)
They haven't developed a Halo since 2010 and Microsoft owns that IP. They somehow managed to get free from Microsoft's grasp and entered a 10 year Exclusive publishing contract with Activision not soon after, under which they developed Destiny as their own IP. It wasn't nearly successful enough for Activision, so they let them out of it in 2019 and let them keep Destiny, which is when Destiny 2 moved from Battle.Net to Steam: https://www.wowhead.com/news/destiny-franchise-to-leave-activision-blizzard-289663 They haven't released anything else since.
Would you have been able to do those things under Activision?

Deej: I don't know. I think we need to dispel the notion Activision was some prohibitive overlord that wasn't letting us do awesome things. We launched this franchise with Activision, naturally and over the course of time we both decided we had different goals for what we wanted it to be, so we both went our separate ways. It was amicable, and here we are making this game on our own, doing what we think we need to do to make it awesome.

Seems rather baffling.

What a fucking mess.
Oh well, it's not like anything of value is at stake.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So what did Sony actually purchase for all those billions? Myth and Destiny?

And ~900 employees.

This seems like a desperate attempt at saving their faces so that their stock doesn't continue to fall. I, for one, can't see anything good in Sony's future unless they choose to think a bit smarter.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Sony cash on hand for the quarter ending September 30, 2021 was $16.797B, a 59.62% decline year-over-year.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/SONY/sony/cash-on-hand

Based off of this number, Sony is now down to under $10B in cash on hand. This purchase is going to cost them in the short term. If Bungie can put out a few games in quick succession then Sony might be able to start making a profit to pay off this purchase. There is the matter of any debts that Bungie may have as well. This is a make or break moment for both companies.

ADL

Prophet
Sony cash on hand for the quarter ending September 30, 2021 was $16.797B, a 59.62% decline year-over-year.

Based off of this number, Sony is now down to under $10B in cash on hand. This purchase is going to cost them in the short term. If Bungie can put out a few games in quick succession then Sony might be able to start making a profit to pay off this purchase. There is the matter of any debts that Bungie may have as well. This is a make or break moment for both companies.
Meanwhile Microsoft's purchase of Activision was so insignificant to them, no one asked about it on their earnings call. Whatever acquisitions Sony has coming must be their last and extremely strategic because they don't have much left.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I feel nothing towards this. Bungie's glory days have been over for, what, 10-15 years? If Sony makes them change course away from looter shooters it could be interesting, but if all this means is Destiny 3 is going to be PS5 exclusive, eh, who cares?

Duraframe300

Arcane
So what did Sony actually purchase for all those billions? Myth and Destiny?

And ~900 employees.

This seems like a desperate attempt at saving their faces so that their stock doesn't continue to fall. I, for one, can't see anything good in Sony's future unless they choose to think a bit smarter.

Take Two owns Myth. (As said on the previous page by Rusty)

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Don't they have good technology, though? I honestly thought they were part of Microsoft.

J1M

Arcane
Jokes aside, Sony probably cares as much about Destiny 2 as the Codex does. The price tag is to buy exclusivity for the game that Bungie hasn't finished yet.

For the record, Bungie hasn't had Halo for a long time.
This is true, but the ability to say "we own the devs who made Halo" must surely count as a middle finger towards microsoft.

How does the halo fanbase feel about the non-bungie stuff anway? Are they fine with it? Do they feel they aren't "true" sequels? Or are they all just dudebro enough to think microsoft made all the halos?

As a Halo fan I regard the 343 Studios Halo games as abominations comparable to Supreme Commander 2, the Thief reboot, and Guild Wars 2. I despise 343 for shitting on the series and I despise Microsoft for having them do it. If they weren't going to have Bungie make the later games they should have just let the series rest in peace.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane

Bungie are poison. They reheat old assets because they can't put out new shit. They needed activision to lend them 2 studios just to get DLC out on time.

deuxhero

Arcane

Meanwhile Microsoft's purchase of Activision was so insignificant to them, no one asked about it on their earnings call. Whatever acquisitions Sony has coming must be their last and extremely strategic because they don't have much left.

Can't really see many questions investors would ask. The reasons are obvious to anyone who would care enough to go to the meeting: Big property and major exclusives at greatly deflated price while any bad publicity the asset has can be removed by cutting off the top like you would anyways. Really the only question to ask that would get an actual answer would be if the studios reduced to CoD sweatshops would be able to work on anything other than CoD.

Ezekiel

Arcane
I would have spent that 3.6 billion dollars starting up new PlayStation studios and making games. Diversifying the lineup that way. More PC ports as well. If Bungie continued to make games that people want to play, they would survive on their own, as a third party. We gain nothing from this.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom