Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic the Hedgehog Appreciation Thread

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Very nice, took me a couple hours to complete. Besides being a visual novel with a fun representation of the characters (I was surprised by how all-in they went with this Rouge), it does feature an actual game in the form of obstacle races Sonic must overcome in a perspective similar to Sonic 3D Blast only the screen autoscrollls and he's restricted to jumping and moving laterally in arcade style, being required to meet a certain number of rings to move to the next stage; both the goal and the dangers increase as the story progresses and, by the end of it, it was genuinely fun and at times even actually challenging, had to repeat some of those courses more than once. Neat gift for the fans, the year of the hedgehog is still going strong.

Yeah, at least the bonus stage runner minigame delivers, it's some really silly fun.
But the writing is kinda meh, truly intended for children, also you stand as a pc seudo side character being both baffled and amazed by Sonic's shitty friends.
You got also handheld through the whole story progression, in a pretty telltale fashion (episodic releases aside). Ppl say is just like daganroppa but I've never played those so idk.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
New Sonic game announced. Looks pretty good. They did a good job of translating the 16-bit era art style to 3d. It's a little weird seeing Amy with her classic Sonic CD look again.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
New Sonic game announced. Looks pretty good. They did a good job of translating the 16-bit era art style to 3d. It's a little weird seeing Amy with her classic Sonic CD look again.

Looks like Sonic Team is finally responding to the success of Mania back in 2017. I don't know much about the development of recent Sonic games, but if I had to guess, Frontiers was developed by the A-team, and this is being done by the B-team (the A-team being responsible for Unleashed and Generations, while the B-Team developed Colors and Lost World); although, that's probably an outdated way of looking at things, considering Sonic Team went through "restructuring" a couple of years ago before the release of Frontiers, and Forces also had lots of influence from the Colors team.

I can't tell from the video if they actually made a decent control system or if it's the same patched together bullshit from Generations and Forces. The part where they're going through loops looks pretty smooth, but then the part where Sonic rolls off the ramp looks like Forces physics to me. Can't tell for sure without playing the game myself.

I'll definitely check this out when it comes out just for the co-op alone (which is more than I can say for Frontiers since I skipped that shit), but I'm not expecting it to be great. I can only hope that Sonic Team takes some lessons from their experience developing it, especially with the implementation of multiple playable characters which hasn't been done meaningfully in a 3D Sonic game since 2006. I also hope the story has the good manners to be nonexistent. I hate, HATE the recent bullshit retcon they've come up with where "classic Sonic" and "modern Sonic" (a laughable term considering that "modern Sonic" is 25 years old at this point) exist in two separate dimensions. Multiple dimensions is the worst, most artistically bankrupt trash to infest any series and I HATE that they started doing that, but up to this point it hasn't really infested any of the games and I hope that continues in Superstars.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
It's great that we get more 2D Sonic, but I'm not a fan of the plastic look. A true Mania 2 would be much better, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Tarkleigh

Learned
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The new game looks very similar to the 2D sections of Sonic Generations, so it seems like we finally get the successor to this after only 13 years. Looks promising, although the graphics could look a bit nicer. Mania 2 would be better, of course, but I don't think that will ever happen

FalayedGong

Literate
It's great that we get more 2D Sonic, but I'm not a fan of the plastic look. A true Mania 2 would be much better, but I'm cautiously optimistic.
I'm not even a huge fan of pixel art, but I kind of agree, Mania's art style hooked me in a way no other retro art style has, would love to see it return.

That said it's a massive step up from Sonic "Hire this man" Frontiers, I have no clue why they didn't go for something similar to Superstars for that game.

The new game looks very similar to the 2D sections of Sonic Generations, so it seems like we finally get the successor to this after only 13 years.
Sonic Forces says hi.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
It also looks like there's gonna be more playable characters than Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, if Fang the Sniper's appearance is anything to go by (he's the purple guy with the cowboy hat that shows up near the end). I wouldn't be surprised if Mighty and Ray come back since they were in Mania Plus.

Can't believe I'm more interested in this than I was in Frontiers. When did I become a classicfag? Well, it's probably because this game is unlikely to have ties to fat tranny neckbeards like Frontiers did.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Are there trannies and fat neckbeards in the game? Yuck!!
No, I just really hate its writer.

Flynn.jpg

What little I saw of that game's writing was CRIIIINGE so I didn't touch that shit with a 10 foot pole.

Zerth

Arbiter
No, I just really hate its writer.
What you have against soylent flynn ?. I don't like his writing but at least he cares to be consistent on a franchise where every writer that stepped up fucked around with random crap.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
What you have against soylent flynn ?. I don't like his writing but at least he cares to be consistent on a franchise where every writer that stepped up fucked around with random crap.
Fucking around with random crap is superior to Flynn's lorefaggotry. Before, the series at least had the benefit of every entry (after the games written by Maekawa) being a stand-alone entry with little continuity. But in Frontiers? Every single fucking game, including what were up to this point considered to be spinoffs, are brought in. So now we have to believe that Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic Riders, Sonic Lost World, Sonic fucking BOOM, AND the fanfiction American comic books (with all their yuribaiting filth, with the NUMBER ONE yuribait character Tangle being mentioned by name) all exist in the same continuity. So now the series's "overarching story" is even more of an explosive catastrophe than it was before.

EVERY American that has ever written for this series has been a complete disaster. I don't want anyone with any ties to those garbage fucking comic books having anything to do with the series. The comic books (and all things connected to them such as the Saturday morning cartoon) are the biggest cancer on Sonic's legacy and fanbase. Everyone involved are furry manchildren who try and force their own trite thoughts and opinions into a series made with children in mind. It's just like those shitty American cartoons like Adventure Time or Star vs. the Forces of Evil. It makes me cringe.

Zerth

Arbiter
That's what the vocal target audience desired, the ones that buy the games,merch, watch the retarded vtuber series, the unfunny twitter takeovers,etc....
A vocal major portion of the fandom screeched for Sonic Team define what the hell is really canon. So as result now, regardless how bland, nonsensical and trite is the plot point,
they went berserk and decided to flip it and turn every legacy content canon(except for sonic 6 for the overall disapproval of human princess kissing sanic). And the fandom love it, dickriding flynn for his effort in tying all together, and looking to hire sonic "Lore masters" for who knows they have in mind for the future.

This sonic era is gonna deliver better quality games, but the writing will become less messy,derivative and uninspired.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
This sonic era is gonna deliver better quality games...
Let's not be too sure of that. Everyone thought the same thing after Generations was okay, and then there were over 10 years of mediocrity from Sonic Team.

Not that it's much skin off my back. Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K, CD, Adventure 1, Adventure 2, and Heroes are all great games in my book. 8 great mainline games in a row? Can't ask for much more than that out of a series.

And the fandom love it, dickriding flynn for his effort in tying all together, and looking to hire sonic "Lore masters" for who knows they have in mind for the future.
I really doubt Sonic Team are going to commit to caring about continuity themselves. Even back in Shadow the Hedgehog, when they were still sort of trying to tie things together, there are extremely glaring continuity errors like the moon not being half-destroyed anymore, the eclipse cannon not being destroyed anymore, the goofy picture of Sonic and Shadow on the President's desk, Shadow looking for his memories while surrounded by people who could just tell him what happened in SA2, etc. Takashi Iizuka just does not give a fuck. It's more like they're gonna do whatever they want, but Ian Flynn is still going to force 2 hours of cutscenes down our throats in which he tries to explain away all the shit that doesn't make sense (while also trying to cram his fanfic OCs into the official canon).

Ivan

Arcane
I've never played a Sonic game. Well that's not true, there was that one on the PS2 with a dark edgy Shadow counterpart. What's the best to get the feeling of the classics?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I've never played a Sonic game. Well that's not true, there was that one on the PS2 with a dark edgy Shadow counterpart. What's the best to get the feeling of the classics?
Sonic 2, Sonic 3 + Knuckles, or Sonic Mania are all good choices. Go for Generations if you want to experience both 2d and 3d Sonic.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
Just emulate the Genesis games and play them in order, from Sonic 1 onwards. There are better versions of these games to play, but they're kind of a pain to set up and also have a bunch of non-vanilla stuff that you have to go out of your way to turn off, which will muddle a first time experience. (I'm referring to Sonic 1 Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, Sonic 3 AIR, and Sonic CD Restored - I recommend you try these after playing the original versions so you know what's new and what's not. CD Restored also forces you to beat the game twice before you can unlock the original soundtracks which is fucking bizarre.) Avoid the Sonic Origins versions of these games like the plague.

I do recommend you play Sonic 1 first because it will force you to come to terms with Sonic's base controls and how to utilize his movement in the levels. If you play Sonic 2 first, you might end up using the spin dash as a crutch and never actually understand how the movement works without it. The game's like an hour long so there's no real reason to skip it.

If you want to continue past the Genesis games onto the Adventure series, then either play the Dreamcast versions or mod the Steam versions (which are completely busted on a default install); there are tons of guides on Steam for the latter option. Avoid the Gamecube versions.

Edit: I did a little digging and found this MEGA upload of Sonic 1 Forever, Sonic 2 Absolute, Sonic 3 AIR, and the Sonic CD Decomp all set up with no strings attached. These versions run in widescreen at a consistent 60 FPS and add a bunch of features. If you play this, though, then you have to disable modded features, like the spin dash in Sonic 1, and re-enable vanilla mechanics, like the roll jump control lock. That's why I think you should just play the Genesis versions for your first time, and leave these versions for replays.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
That's the only music you will hear and it'll drown out sfx and your mind.
IT WILL BE ALL YOU HEAR FOREVER!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom