Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something Redeeming from Oblivion

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Freshly registered new fag makes shit post. Film at 11.

DarkUnderlord there really needs to be some kind of competency test before people can make an account.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
it would be great if we could all just be one big group of happyfags who had nothing to talk about so we could pat each other on the back constantly, seeing as our other hand is busy with the previous poster's cock.

or just dont take the bait. if it looks like a dick, and George Michael is waving it at you...dont put it in your mouth.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Seriously, no one gives a fuck about your join date. I disable it on every forum i abuse.

or in parsable codexian : lol grognard. looks like a shitposter to a shitthread got more dick from you than the op

Jed

Cipher
Oblivion is the game where I joined the Dark Brotherhood and had a grand old time assassinating chumps & ended up with a sick black metal headquarters. The end.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Just registered at NeoGaf. First Ive heard of it. I almost took it for a fake troll site, a'la "Rickrolling"

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
The only redeemable part of Oblibians was its hilariously bad AI, fucking with which was a real joy. Doing those stupid quest or reading boring ''lore'' books about dwarves vs elves and shit? Yeah, right. Better go in the middle of town square, summon couple of zombies, see guards starting to ''defend the city'' by accidentally hitting each other or some townsfolk in chaotic frenzy and eventually massacring half of the town's population including each other. Now that was truly worth it.

Haven't tried this shit in Skyrim yet. Is its AI just as ''radiant''?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Oblivion is the game where I joined the Dark Brotherhood and had a grand old time assassinating chumps & ended up with a sick black metal headquarters. The end.

Yea, not to be a fucking bethdrone or anything but that brotherhood questline was actually decently written. Way better then the try hard shit we got in Skyrim..

(Angsty female who wants to run her own ship / token betrayal / lame revenge plot.. Kay..)

Wait...

I also liked the concept / lore of the Nocturne Cowl item.. too bad it's mechanically broken.. could of been a really neat concept.

Other then that, Oblivion is shit though.. let's be honest.

Sykar

Arcane
Komrade Jools :incline: ing the Kodex by fighting the good fight against the western faggotery with redhead tits. :hero:

P.S. Oblivion is irredeemable Greats Satans shit and OP is Homo and Kwan Agent. :russia:

:bro:

Something Redeeming from Oblivion

2/10, trying too hard.

Welcome to the Codex
Obligatory Friday Bub Tax
redhead-amp-big-boobs-lovely-beauties-1378503642k4g8n.jpg

8/10, wouild fap again!

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Oblivion is the game where I joined the Dark Brotherhood and had
a grand old time assassinating chumps & ended up with a sick black metal headquarters. The end.

Yea, not to be a fucking bethdrone or anything but that brotherhood questline was actually decently written. Way better then the try hard shit we got in Skyrim..

(Angsty female who wants to run her own ship / token betrayal / lame revenge plot.. Kay..)

Wait...

I also liked the concept / lore of the Nocturne Cowl item.. too bad it's mechanically broken.. could of been a really neat concept.

Other then that, Oblivion is shit though.. let's be honest.

The dinner party quest in particular was very good. Had a lot of fun killing off all the guests in different ways. Other than that though Oblivion's one redeeming feature is uninstall.exe

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The dinner party quest in particular was very good. Had a lot of fun killing off all the guests in different ways. Other than that though Oblivion's one redeeming feature is uninstall.exe

The idea was good and the quest would have been cool if the radiant AI was more [Intelligent]. You can be in the same room with just two guys, then kill the first one while the second one turns his back to you for 2 seconds, then talk to the remaining guy while holding a sword which is dripping blood and he's like "Another one dead! it must be x! Let's go after him!"

:hmmm:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hmmm, this thread has the potential to deliver a lot. You just need to want it to happen, newfags! Cmon! You even have the equivalent of a "straight ally" ( Scrooge ) who is above suspicion and insulting [female (no cock) + mod + not-newfag + seemingly nice person], who then saw the light (Hello friend, have you come etc etc?), but once was exactly like you.

Challenge taken comrade, instead of arguing that one piece of lore in Oblivion was really good I'll make a much more contestable and interesting to investigate statement, and either go down in flames in the course of debate or maybe prove myself a bit. Alright, so I'm working on gathering all my talking points now, but here's my much more generous premise I'll defend after all my ducks are in order:

Oblivion was in many ways a step in the right direction from Morrowind, changing outdated elements in some good ways, and going back to the series roots in some other good ways (though not all changes were good, and this makes no statements on how fun the finished product was).

So, let's open the floodgates of Oblivion and see what falls out.

Oh, you, stahp it. :D

Miner Arobar

Educated
Challenge taken comrade, instead of arguing that one piece of lore in Oblivion was really good I'll make a much more contestable and interesting to investigate statement, and either go down in flames in the course of debate or maybe prove myself a bit. Alright, so I'm working on gathering all my talking points now, but here's my much more generous premise I'll defend after all my ducks are in order:

Oblivion was in many ways a step in the right direction from Morrowind, changing outdated elements in some good ways, and going back to the series roots in some other good ways (though not all changes were good, and this makes no statements on how fun the finished product was).

So, let's open the floodgates of Oblivion and see what falls out.

The main step "in the right direction", in my opinion, would be that miscellaneous side-quests in Oblivion tended to be a bit more elaborate and worked-out. However, that should be seen against the total absence of political faction intrigue in Oblivion. There would be great opportunities, but things like the Count of Leyawiin going his own way and being engaged in a civil war against Argonians and Khajiit are only hinted at. And Oblivion did return to Daggerfall in some aspects, e.g. incorporating procedurally generated content - but Daggerfall is excused by sheer size. In Daggerfall, dungeons are huge and do not make much sense (sabretooth tigers in closets, etc.). In Morrowind, dungeons are small and tend to make a lot of sense: smugglers gathering their loot in one place and guarding it, slaves in a slave pen, etc. In Oblivion, dungeons are small and make no sense: bandits placed at regular intervals guarding chests placed at regular intervals, with a boss bandit guarding a boss chest at the end. Skyrim returns to Morrowind in this regard.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Oblivion is banal, shit, boring, as I've said before. I don't think there is any point with adding anything to that statement.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

The idea was good and the quest would have been cool if the radiant AI was more [Intelligent]. You can be in the same room with just two guys, then kill the first one while the second one turns his back to you for 2 seconds, then talk to the remaining guy while holding a sword which is dripping blood and he's like "Another one dead! it must be x! Let's go after him!"

Yea this is the problem with a lot of things in Oblivion / Skyrim. Great ideas, poor execution.

You sort of have to handicap yourself and pretend the AI isn't fucking retarded. :roll:

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

I am so triggered right now

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Only thing good in Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood questline, and there was one dungeon I really enjoyed because it had a Morrowind-ish atmosphere (a cave that led to an Ayleid ruin deeper inside, where there were some cryptic passages written on the floor, but there were only small mysterious pieces and you never found the full history of the place because most of it was in ruins; this was the only dungeon of such quality I found in the entire game. Don't remember its name, I think it was relatively close to the Imperial City).

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Yeah, the actual execution wasn't great but it's a good idea for a quest regardless. I'd like to see a similar dinner party murder mystery quest in a better RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom