Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something odd about KotOR and bioware praise (spoilers)

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Rosh said:
(Pssst! The answer is CHEESE!)

That's actually a valid answer :)

On KOTOR and its puzzles I can only say this :

Looking away from the Star-Wars rape, which is easy since Lucas himself became bent on doing just that, I notice a lot of nonsense in the game. I played the game on my cousin's X-box the other day and felt like playing Zelda without everything that makes Zelda great. Somehow.
I think that was a combination of having a joypad in my hands and experiencing a shoddy game, but that's just the impression I got.

triCritical

Erudite
I had Radeon chipset problems with NWN, they blamed it on the drivers. Oh well, I don't know why everyone expected a QA'd game given recent history.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
Standard IQ test question:

Puzzles are to Tower of Hanoi as Words are to _______

Why flog this? Did I not say that I played fast and loose with the analogy? Again, my commentary is on the manner in which the observation was made, calling this out in a unique thread rather than as ancillary to a review-oriented one, NOT the specific content of the observation itself.

phoots

Novice
Greyhawk said:
Taoreich said:
What I don't get, is that people haven't faulted Bio for using words. I mean, how derivitive is it that throughout the game you see letters comprising words which, in turn, form sentences. Then, wouldn't you know it, these sentences become paragraphs. Heck- every game in the world does this at some point and Fallout was the teh win 11!1 in this regard; why isn't this noted in reviews?!?!

Heck, I heard they actually use computer code to build the game!!! What's up with that? Can't they do anything original?

And the people ! Is it too much to think that they might invent something new to play?

Faulting them for using words in the game would be idiocy. And Fallout is in no way the king of RPG dialog, though I do not know of any games that came before it that had the same freedom and diversity in their dialog trees (if any). And of course a computer game would be written in computer code :shock:

Your poor attempt at sarcasm succeeds at nothing. The fact is, Bioware does not introduce much original gameplay aspects into their games.

Wow, I never thought I'd see some one quote this and NOT recognize sarcasim. Greyhawk you truly need to go back on line to recieve a brain as yours is faulty.

phoots

Novice
Saint_Proverbius said:
Taoreich said:
What I don't get, is that people haven't faulted Bio for using words. I mean, how derivitive is it that throughout the game you see letters comprising words which, in turn, form sentences. Then, wouldn't you know it, these sentences become paragraphs. Heck- every game in the world does this at some point and Fallout was the teh win 11!1 in this regard; why isn't this noted in reviews?!?!

There's a huge difference between using words, part of a language, and using exact puzzles as someone else created. So, basically, your sarcasm is built on an analogy which shows a complete lack of comprehension of the subject at hand. I wasn't saying puzzles are bad, I was saying puzzles that are common and created centuries ago are bad.

However, since you brought words up, it's also interesting they did a whole quest centered around a Romeo and Juliet thing, which is oh, so original as well. Nope, no one's ever beaten that idea to death. :roll:

BTW Fallouts' story was used many times before it was created. NO it's not original. In fact there are no more original ideas in this world. Everything has been done/said/seen that can bee seen/done/said it just needs a person to financialy gain from this to be out in the open.

Spazmo

Erudite
Taoreich said:
Why flog this? Did I not say that I played fast and loose with the analogy? Again, my commentary is on the manner in which the observation was made, calling this out in a unique thread rather than as ancillary to a review-oriented one, NOT the specific content of the observation itself.

So you're flip-flopping and essentially saying that there's nothing wrong with what Saint was saying in the first place? Furthermore, you're coming into a board and trying to tell people there--one of the staff, no less--how to do things?

I think the term I'm looking for is fuck you.

Taoreich

Liturgist
Again it would seem that I rely too much upon the intelligence of the reader when it is clearly too much to ask of some.

For those who took the short bus to this thread:

The commentary was strictly in regards to the irony of St P's methodology, and it was just that-commentary. Not "telling him what to do," not a personal attack. I merely pointed out, in sarcastic fashion, that the effort required to have a unique thread about the specified topic showed an amount of personal vitriol on par with the implied level of unreasonableness in a review giving undeserved praise to Bio; and as such the thread had merit equal to the review.

To deconstruct further: Nothing i've said states that St.P facts are wrong. I am personally not familiar with the puzzles so I would not dream of contradicting him. But it's a non-sequitur to my reply because, again, I am not addressing the content.

Oh. And "Fuck You?" Well done sir. Touche. I am undone by your rapier-like wit.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Y'know i had something to add to the thread. I really did. Somehow, after reading it fully, i'm lost for words. I think i'll go histerically laugh while crying in the corner now.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Y'know i had something to add to the thread. I really did. Somehow, after reading it fully, i'm lost for words. I think i'll go histerically laugh while crying in the corner now.

I am seriously considering joining you. :?

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Taoreich said:
The commentary was strictly in regards to the irony of St P's methodology, and it was just that-commentary. Not "telling him what to do," not a personal attack. I merely pointed out, in sarcastic fashion, that the effort required to have a unique thread about the specified topic showed an amount of personal vitriol on par with the implied level of unreasonableness in a review giving undeserved praise to Bio; and as such the thread had merit equal to the review.

To deconstruct further: *snip*.
You're dangerously close to postmodernism, I think. Are you actually saying that if someone does something Bad it's also Bad to say that he did it?

Noviere

Novice
Spazmo said:
So you're flip-flopping and essentially saying that there's nothing wrong with what Saint was saying in the first place? Furthermore, you're coming into a board and trying to tell people there--one of the staff, no less--how to do things?

I think the term I'm looking for is fuck you.
All fear the mighty staff! :roll:
This place is pathetic.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Repost:Minor problems? MINOR? It has HUGE problems! For starters, it crashes 99.9% of the time when a news creen loads! Kinda reminds me of the silly TOEE thing. Grrr!!!

I'm stupid. That's all I will say about this matter. :roll:

Jarinor

Liturgist
phoots said:
Everything has been done/said/seen that can bee seen/done/said it just needs a person to financialy gain from this to be out in the open.

And everything that can be invented has been invented. It may have been said a hundred or more years ago, but we can still make inaccurate blanket statements just as well today!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Taoreich said:

What I'm saying is that it's really odd to shower a group of people with praise for just implimenting a puzzle that's been around for centuries, especially when some of those puzzles don't even fit the situation.

You have two breaks in immersion here, the first being that you recognise the puzzle because those are over used and way too common. The one about using the 3 unit container and 5 unit container to get 4 units has been seen way, way too many times in both educational settings and in popular culture - and it's not even a hard problem. Towers of Hanoi is even more common, since it's a child's puzzle, used to teach recursion in even the most basic computer classes, used in math a lot, and so forth.

The second break comes from where it doesn't make sense given the situation. The 3/5->4 thing makes a little more sense than the prison cell controls, excepting that using chemical state changes would make things difficult to transfer, and why the hell would they allow anything more than three units in either container if having four units resulted in an explosion? It just seems they're trying way, way too hard to take said puzzles and forcing them in to a situation just for the sake of having those puzzles.

Rosh

Erudite
If there was some clever take-off from the old puzzle, then it wouldn't be such a problem. but for fuck's sake the devs should show some creativity that justifies paying money for the game.

If I wanted to play old puzzles in new candy coating, then there's numerous shareware and freeware games out there with better.

What is even more funny is that many of Vogel's puzzles and level designs put that of BioHype's to shame.

EEVIAC

Erudite
I just don't understand why people would go so far out of their way to "defend" a company or a game, on a site that (apparently) holds an opinion so contrary to their own. Are people so sickeningly fragile and sycophantic that the merest notion of diagreeance sends their world into a tizzy? Didn't this sort of thing happen when the NWN review was posted?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Rosh said:
If there was some clever take-off from the old puzzle, then it wouldn't be such a problem. but for fuck's sake the devs should show some creativity that justifies paying money for the game.

There's another fun puzzle involving a bunch of droids where you have to answer such questions as What is the missing prime number from this field of prime numbers?, Multiply this ratio![/b], and much, much more!

Rosh

Erudite
Hmmm, any usage of "Two Doors" puzzle, or did they manage to avoid that cliché?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom