Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Something new from Cyan Worldz...

CrisGer

Literate
A life of pennance and working with the Myst series and Cyan...and a heads up with no details...something is coming from Cyan this month, no idea what, doubt it is a Myst contiuation as Rand said no more ...a while ago.

I just keep hoping sometime they will manage to get SOMETHING to happen in a game other than family problems. Lets hope and i do like some parts of their games a lot. So this is my first post here, :)sorry to not have more but...hey it is a start :)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hm, a Kickstarter maybe?

In any case, I'm highly skeptical of Cyan at this point anyway. If it's a KS, then need to show something good.

trustno1code

Prophet
To expand a bit on that, Rand confirmed they were looking into doing a Kickstarter over a year ago:
Rand Miller on 19.05.2012 said:
Q: With the recent success of the Double-Fine Kickstarter (among others), has Cyan thought about trying their hand a crowd-funding a project?
A: We have. We've gotten so much feedback from fans and friends encouraging us to do it. We've really got only two issues…
• First - what product to propose (it's between two - one Myst related and one completely new ...
• Second - we need to get enough money from RealMyst to fund a good Kickstarter proposal with some great artwork and a convincing video.

And in a recent "Cavecon" Q&A stream (from July, here's an audio recording) he mentioned it again, revealing it's not going to be Myst related, at least not directly.
Rand Miller on 23.07.2013 said:
We're definitely a little ways down the road on trying to plan the Kickstarter thing. We have ultimately decided that it's something new (...) that hopefully echoes back to the same feeling we provided when people landed on the dock in Myst for the first time. We're going for the same feeling and the same kind of amazing desire to find out 'where I am now', 'why I'm here', 'what went on here', but maybe nothing to do with Myst in particular.

It's taking them quite a while (understandably I guess in light of their current size/situation), kinda like Bill Tiller who started hinting a year before his project actually came to be.
Hopefully Cyan's venture will be more successful.

Also, on their "jobs" page:
Even though we aren’t currently hiring, we have a few irons in the fire that we hope will allow us to build something new. If you are interested in being part of a possible something new here at Cyan, and you are a particularly skilled 3D Graphic Artist (3DS Max) or Programmer (C++, C#) (Unity and/or Unreal experience is a plus) you may want to put together a portfolio and/or resumé and send it our way. We’re looking for quality over quantity, honesty over hype, and creativity over formality. And include in your email answers to two questions that will give us deep insight into your psyche – “What do you do in your spare time?” & “What book, movie, or TV show really floats your boat, and why?”

Please don’t call regarding employment, or we promise we will go “Gehn” on you.
That might be about the RealMyst re-release though, from which the screen of Channelwood they've posted lately on social media thingamajigs likely comes from:
BSNYPclCAAAars_.jpg:large

iqzulk

Augur
I wonder if Robyn will be involved (no Robyn = no deal). He DID (via twitter) hint upon the possibility of some "sandbox-style" and completely Myst-unrelated game some time into the future, but, from what I understand, he still has his hands full with that Augustus Gladstone movie. So, that's kinda questionable.

Also, I wonder what Richard Vander Wende is doing now - and whether there is any chance of him taking part in creating another game ever again.
Also, not sure why he seems to be omitted from "John Carter" credits.
Also2, would really love to visit some ages akin to Catherine's/Katran's ages (and I'm NOT talking about Ubi's Serenia - nope, doesn't exist). That episode from "Book of Atrus" was absolutely mindblowing.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom