Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Solium Infernum remake

Kruyurk

Learned
Everything looks so generic and uninspired.
Overdone art style with zero nuance. The game is full of the same visual memes that are seen in every other game.

Then it is not overdone

it's underdone
I guess it depends on your perspective. I meant that they piled up as many of the common visual memes as possible (e.g., the blocky shapes for most building), overdoing it, instead of coming up with an original, more parsimonious and nuanced visual identity. But yes, the end result is an underdone generic looking game.

Silva

Arcane
Fucking amazing game. Even the art style, while not as exotic as the original, is full of flair itself. It's very similar to Armello, the devs' previous game, only a bit more complex. Which means they probably made Armello heavily inspired by this.

I only question the duration for a MP match of it. I mean, an Armello MP match took between 45min and 1h30min which is a pretty nice spot that allows one to arrive from work and have a couiple full matches each night. This being more complex I worry it goes way longer and thus make that kind of "quickie" hard to pull.

Harthwain

Magister
I meant that they piled up as many of the common visual memes as possible (e.g., the blocky shapes for most building)
How is that a meme?

It's very similar to Armello, the devs' previous game, only a bit more complex. Which means they probably made Armello heavily inspired by this.
I would say it is the other way around - they first made Armello and now they are doing Solium Infernum by using a similar style. It was fine for Armello, but I don't think it is good for Solium Infernum's theme. 3D models are easily the weakest part of the art.

Harthwain

Magister
That kills any interest I had in this remake.
With amulets, rings and crowns (or just relics) you can make up for shortcomings in particular areas. For example, Andromalius starts with 2 Diplomacy. But any other Archfiend can take an amulet that gives +2 Diplomacy (pro tip, amulets and rings don't count towards skill rank itself, so you won't be able to gain extra actions that way). This does allow for some customization and surprises when it comes to customizing an Archfiend.

Beowulf

Arcane
Not having Archfiend customization is a solid step backwards, but at the same time they made good changes to attributes and tribute gathering, so except for niche strats Charisma 3 is no longer needed to have a decent start.

Silva

Arcane
It's very similar to Armello, the devs' previous game, only a bit more complex. Which means they probably made Armello heavily inspired by this.
I would say it is the other way around - they first made Armello and now they are doing Solium Infernum by using a similar style. It was fine for Armello, but I don't think it is good for Solium Infernum's theme. 3D models are easily the weakest part of the art.
I meant the gameplay structure: turns, pvp with partially hidden info, prestige leader gaining advantage over the board, rings/amulets allowing for different builds even for same characters, deals between players, etc. All those were in Armello. If they were also in original Solium Infernum, it seems probable they already created Armello inspired by it, and now things came full circle.

But my question remains answered: how long takes a MP match of Solium? Will it have open lobbies like Armello, with the possibility to invite friends? I hope so..

Last edited:

Harthwain

Magister
I meant the gameplay structure: turns, pvp with partially hidden info, prestige leader gaining advantage over the board, rings/amulets allowing for different builds even for same characters, deals between players, etc. All those were in Armello. If they were also in original Solium Infernum, it seems probable they already created Armello inspired by it, and now things came full circle.
Yeah, all these elements were already in Solium Infernum (2009):

Title-Screen-768x574.jpg

But my question remains answered: how long takes a MP match of Solium?
The original Solium Infernum? Between multiple days to weeks (even two months).

Here is a bit of info about it in the new iteration:

Asynchronous multiplayer delivers the depth of Grand Strategy and a diabolical conquest for the Throne of Hell in an accessible format, delivered in 5-15 minute bursts over multiple days or even weeks long with your (soon to be ex-) friends.

Kruyurk

Learned
I meant that they piled up as many of the common visual memes as possible (e.g., the blocky shapes for most building)
How is that a meme?
Because these are the same basic ideas that are mimicked over and over.
A concrete example in the Blood of Astaroth unit in the game (it can be seen around min 5 in the Splattercat video you shared in the previous page). The unit has a big cleaver type sword with a point protruding backward at the tip. I believe this kind of sword started with the Uruk-hais in the LotR movies, and now can be seen routinely in video games. I think the artists do this mimicking subconsciously, they are good at making things look nice, but not at coming up with their own ideas or modifying existing ideas enough that it looks original.

Copying previous stuff is of course normal, but when the art style of a game relies too much on it and there is not much original bits to go with it, the game looks really derivative and generic.
The recent Lords of the Fallen has the same issue: it looks good, but almost every visual design element is lifted from somewhere else and the end result looks uninspired.
And that does not say anything of the actual quality of the game, I am only talking about the art style.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The original would typically last something like 50 turns iirc. How much time you spend on each turn depends on how much plotting you want to do, and how badly you want to cover all your bases, but I'd expected an average of like 5-10 minutes per turn. Some take a lot longer because you're trying to think through something hard (like where to move with your starting legion, or combat manouvers), but some also take a 30s because your course is locked in and nothing important happened.

Beowulf

Arcane
The original would typically last something like 50 turns iirc. How much time you spend on each turn depends on how much plotting you want to do, and how badly you want to cover all your bases, but I'd expected an average of like 5-10 minutes per turn. Some take a lot longer because you're trying to think through something hard (like where to move with your starting legion, or combat manouvers), but some also take a 30s because your course is locked in and nothing important happened.
Some take a lot longer because you're trying to think through something hard search the wiki and forums for some obscure piece of information like the order in which certain rituals are processed.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Developer hit by layoffs due to increasing costs, low sales, failed investments and other bullshit. Their other game Jumplight Odyssey is pausing development. According to the Studio Director, Solium Infernum is not affected and they have enough funding for release, a couple updates and maybe DLC

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1893820/discussions/0/4031347929690205259/

Why Jumplight Odyssey and not Solium Infernum?

It’s very important to us that all of you understand, this wasn’t a decision of which game we opted to save or believed in more. There were only two possible scenarios with the money we had left in the bank account; Pause development on Jumplight Odyssey so we can release Solium Infernum as planned, or cancel both games immediately and shut down LoG for good.

JLO was set to launch in 6 months, and SI is two months from launch. The amount of money required to complete JLO is 2-3 times as much as SI, not to mention the complexity of console development compared to a game that is coming to PC only.

There was no scenario in which we could get JLO to v1.0 without a substantial financial investment. An investment that never materialised.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Where did I touch you my child?

more like old man is upset that renaissance era Gs are spitting facts

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1893810/view/4035857237844746082

Solium Infernum Launching February 22nd PST
Hello Archfriends!

We’re just dropping by to announce that we have decided to shift Solium Infernum’s launch date.

Solium Infernum will now go live on February 22 @ 12pm PST!

We have no major concerns for release, we are simply in the privileged position of being able to give ourselves a little more time. So we’re taking the opportunity to spend an extra week ensuring it's as polished as we possibly can for release.

We're incredibly excited about how the game is coming together and cannot wait for all of you to descend into Hell with us.

If you’re eager to hang out with the devs, get in on the launch hype and have access to a LFG (looking for game) channel in our SI community – hop into our Discord!

See you in Hell… Very soon!

<3 Chan & the LoG Squad

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
This just dropped. Anybody get it? No reviews yet on steam.

Arryosha

Learned
Hopefully someone will create a mod for the archfiend character models. The cartooney look of some of them clashes with the tone of the rest of the game.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
FFS, I softlocked the tutorial by doing something ahead of the tutorial asking for it (choosing legion strat).

Nahel

Arcane
38 euros for this. Seems quite expensive for a remake

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom