Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

solid western RPGs

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Chill out lil' Lil, is it so hard to understand and accept that some (most ?) players around here respect and enjoy ToEE turn-based, party based, faithful 3.5 adaptation while merrily taking a dump on NWN RTwP single-player playstyle ? This is the Codex after all. And FFS forget about your blog for a post or two.

EDIT : And.... it's gone. I'm answering to the void now. :? Then again, I've played Daggerfall enough to get used to the void.

Last edited:

da_rays

Augur
Just strolling in to give another nudge for Stellar Tactics. Really seem like appealing to your tastes , but sadly still in EA . Shaping up to be a real nice game. Keep it on the radar

Always citing the two same games: Wasteland and Dragon Wars. It seems that Magic Candle and Darklands are also as good (didn't played them yet).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Try voidspire tactics and alvora tactics. The art style is pretty much not what you seek, but the combat and interaction is great.

Unlocking and mix matching class are fun, the environment are interactive and spells can be used outside combats. It felt like divinity original sin with SnES graphics

rentner

Novice
You mentioned some strategy games (Disciples and Age of Wonders) so mayhaps you could try:

- Obvs Master of Mana
- Alpha Centauri
- Master of Orion 1-2
- Silent Storm (multiple entry, all worth it) on that note, i always wanted to try Hammer and Sickle but didn't manage to find a seller (it's suppose to be better than Silent storm), also watch for mods, there are numerous mods that are great additions to this serie.
- UFO: Aftershock , there are 2 other entries to the serie. The first one, is imo, the most interesting in term of ambiant but it is quite lacking in comparison to Aftershock when it comes to mechanics. And the last one might be better than Aftershock in term of mechanics but its design is ugly as crap.

As some sort of RTS I would say Total War is a great serie. Medieval 2: Kingdoms is the most fruitful when it comes to mod.

And I forgot to mention Neo Scavenger as an rpg.
Maybe even Stalker since you didn't mention it in your post.

I've also played my share of 4x games, so I have played all civs, centauris, master of orions etc.
neo scavanger looks interesting, but not that much into roguelikes, I'll put it in my list.
I finished silent storm when it came out.
for historic RTS there isn't much better then eu4 MEIOU 2.0.
I remeber looking at UFO aftershock and it looked like a mess at that time, I'll give it a second look.

Realms of Arkania HD

many thanks stranger, this looks like a great choice. I looked now and they released the star trail remake, the graphics look great but the project looks very rough, lacking polish .. but I don't mind this that much.

And if your reflexes hold up somewhat, Mount and Blade: Warband.
thanks for the recommendation but it looks too fast for me, also it requires coordination in multiplayer which isn't my cup of tea.

Just strolling in to give another nudge for Stellar Tactics. Really seem like appealing to your tastes , but sadly still in EA . Shaping up to be a real nice game. Keep it on the radar
thank you, I bookmarked it.

Always citing the two same games: Wasteland and Dragon Wars. It seems that Magic Candle and Darklands are also as good (didn't played them yet).
Darklands is good.

Try voidspire tactics and alvora tactics. The art style is pretty much not what you seek, but the combat and interaction is great. Unlocking and mix matching class are fun, the environment are interactive and spells can be used outside combats. It felt like divinity original sin with SnES graphics

they look interesting, especially alvora tactics, don't know if my eyes can handle that, I'll look for a demo.

Don't forget the Fallout 4,Mass effect andromeda and Call of Duty :P
:mrpresident:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You mentioned some strategy games (Disciples and Age of Wonders) so mayhaps you could try:

- Obvs Master of Mana
- Alpha Centauri
- Master of Orion 1-2
- Silent Storm (multiple entry, all worth it) on that note, i always wanted to try Hammer and Sickle but didn't manage to find a seller (it's suppose to be better than Silent storm), also watch for mods, there are numerous mods that are great additions to this serie.
- UFO: Aftershock , there are 2 other entries to the serie. The first one, is imo, the most interesting in term of ambiant but it is quite lacking in comparison to Aftershock when it comes to mechanics. And the last one might be better than Aftershock in term of mechanics but its design is ugly as crap.

As some sort of RTS I would say Total War is a great serie. Medieval 2: Kingdoms is the most fruitful when it comes to mod.

And I forgot to mention Neo Scavenger as an rpg.
Maybe even Stalker since you didn't mention it in your post.

And if your reflexes hold up somewhat, Mount and Blade: Warband.
thanks for the recommendation but it looks too fast for me, also it requires coordination in multiplayer which isn't my cup of tea.
You might then want to look at Kenshi, it's early access but quite playable and not-reflex dependent at all.
A choice of beyond last resort for one of those 4x types could be Fallen Enchantress: Legendary heroes. I don't wholeheartedly recommend it, but it's there if you're bored comatose.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I feel for you mate,after playing that many games it is hard to find new games.

Kult heretic kingdoms or just Heretic kingdoms is not bad rpg with unique skill system.
Siege of Avalon is not bad game.
Faery: Legends of Avalon is interesting and little bit depressing game made by Spiders studio (This guys make low budget games that are filled with soul and good writing,strange)
Prince of Qin is big rpg/party game set in ancient China.I would recommend you to try it out.
Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are good crpgs.
Laxius Force and Laxius power are really big trilogies made in RPG maker by westerner and have a lot of exploration in them.

Kohan games are really good strategy games that fell like Age of Wonders.
Fantasy wars and Elven Legacy are nice turn based strategy/rpg games.
Warlords Battlecry 3 is strategy/rpg that is interesting and pretty unique.
Kings of Dragonpass is very unique game that i would recommend whole heartedly!
Spellforce games are interesting mix of rpg and strategy too.First one is more of strategy,the second is more of a rpg.
Tzar Burden of the crown is really fun strategy game.

Last edited:

rentner

Novice
You might then want to look at Kenshi, it's early access but quite playable and not-reflex dependent at all.
A choice of beyond last resort for one of those 4x types could be Fallen Enchantress: Legendary heroes. I don't wholeheartedly recommend it, but it's there if you're bored comatose.

again, early access is great if done like Battle Brothers, another little gem, but that quality is quite rare. For a game of the spectrum of Kenshi I'd rather wait for a release.
And I'd rather replay the first post list then play Fallen Enchantress, as you can probably understand.

I feel for you mate,after playing that many games it is hard to find new games.
Kult heretic kingdoms or just Heretic kingdoms is not bad rpg with unique skill system.
Siege of Avalon is not bad game.
Faery: Legends of Avalon is interesting and little bit depressing game made by Spiders studio (This guys make low budget games that are filled with soul and good writing,strange)
Prince of Qin is big rpg/party game set in ancient China.I would recommend you to try it out.
Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity are good crpgs.
Laxius Force and Laxius power are really big trilogies made in RPG maker by westerner and have a lot of exploration in them.

Kohan games are really good strategy games that fell like Age of Wonders.
Fantasy wars and Elven Legacy are nice turn based strategy/rpg games.
Warlords Battlecry 3 is strategy/rpg that is interesting and pretty unique.
Kings of Dragonpass is very unique game that i would recommend whole heartedly!
Spellforce games are interesting mix of rpg and strategy too.First one is more of strategy,the second is more of a rpg.
Tzar Burden of the crown is really fun strategy game.

I tried Prince of Qin but I couldn't get into the setting. Larian games have horrible writing and that ticks me off, I'm not a sucker for awesome stories but I do notice them if the story/writing is juvenile or plain bad. World building is just a too rare of a skill to comment on these days, so I just ignore it completely.
Played Kohan, Fantasay Wars, Spellforce and King of Dragonpass.

I'll check out the other titles. Frankly I pray that pillars of eternity 2 is better then the 1st game, but by the looks of the trailers it'll be a decline. Imo developers these days try too hard to be unique and end up being boringly superficial, overvaluing a small but vocal market (who frankly don't even want games) instead of the larger but faithful market who just wants solid mechanics and coherent world building. This is even obvious in graphics where truly artistic graphics are rare, these days every scene is cluttered to the brink, everything just to fill out the screen with unique objects, it's almost cartoonish compared to a real environment. But hey, it's been going this way for a good 15 years, so nothing new, the latest trend is to put lights on everything (must be a tech advance) it just popped up in the last 5 years. I mean, this is ok for kids but us older folk just see it as immersion breaking from an artistic point of view.

Still, I really enjoyed the artistic side of modern titles such as POE 1 (some parts) and Battle Brothers (excellent atmosphere, proof you don't need $$$ to do something of quality if you got good taste).

vazha

Arcane
Muster all your courage, patience and mental fortitude and Prelude the fucking Darkness, man!
Couple of other games nobody's mentioned yet:
First Spellforce + 2 addons - Solid German Rpg
World of Chaos - Even buggier than PoD, but if you can into Russian / German & can find an online guide on avoiding bugs (also you will need to pirate it for research purposes obviously)
Evil Islands & Rage of Mages - Nival's best games, imho.

vazha

Arcane
buggiest mess I've ever played. Also happens to be one of the most fun rpg's I've ever played. And I've played 90 % of what's been mentioned here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom