Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, World of Tanks, I play it, here's some criticism.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Try this spotting haba

I spot and spot and nobody shoots at them!

InT1u3Q.jpg

4Y7ll8n.png

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
What's better t29 or is ? t34-85 line or easy 8 line ?

Is it more fun to get chaffee line or mt-25 line for lights ?

They do 2 different things. T29 is amazing - but mainly on defense. It has near-impenetrable armor on the front of the turret. But the hull is paper thin and many things will pen the sides or reat o your turret. If a medium or light gets close, they can circle you faster than you can turn your gun and kill you. In cities, the T29 also fares poorly, as it will be forced to expose its hull. If you get detracked rounding a corner, you're pretty much dead.

IS has a good gun and is very mobile. The IS is fairly lightly armored (although turrent isn't too bad). It leads to the IS3 however, which is the favourite noobtank with its trolly beak-shaped frontal plate that bounces tons of shots.

I can't speak for the russian grind since I haven't been through it. For the kwans, I'd go for the Jumbo over the easy-8 though. They can both mount the same guns. The easy-8 is faster, but the jumbo has a glorious front plate. As long asyou can keep the lower glacis (where it isn't sloped) covered, you're invulnerable to all tier 4's and 5's, most tier 6'es and many tier 7's from the front. your sides and rear are still weak. The jumbo will teach you much of the playstyle you need to be effective with the T29.

The T29 leads to the T32. And don't let the lack of a gun upgrade fool you. For the longest time, I was puzzled why the gold tank (T34) had a better gun than the regular, fully upgraded tank. The reason for that is that the T32 has a better turret traverse, rate of fire, gun depression (super-important for a hull-down tank), acceleration, top speed and (frontal) hull armor.

Be aware however, that the T29 is painful to drive until you get the max gun. then it turns into a magical princess butterfly. up until that point, all your shots will bounce.

Try this spotting

k9PCOur.jpg

2x ace tanker. 2x mark of excellence. (3rd MoE once I get 6th sense on bulldog. It's 1% off getting MoE)
Problem, scrublord?
:troll:

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Kwas have no rights for angst with light tanks like Chaffee and Bulldog.
I have to face Mauses on Klara so suck it up.
Althought its kinda funny with X's since you spot one tank for artillery and instantly get spotter medal :M

Luchs is not your regular light tank. What's your best damage Ulminati? Mine ~1650, while best at Ru is 2973.

And yeah Shermans are hilariously op, especially Jumbo with stock tower.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Upgraded tower on jumbo is better than you'd think. It is very narrow, so the gun mantlet covers everything that isn't sloped on the front. Don't believe WG.nets numbers. The upgraded turret is better than stock for frontal armor. And if people are shooting you in the side, you are Jumboing wrong.

My best damage on Luchs is 1896 + 980 assisted. On Chaffee its 1140 + 2800 assisted. On Bulldog I only just got the big gun. So it is slumming at 1400 + 2150 assisted

I'd recommend everyone trying out scouting to git gud. Luchs is probably the least painful good scout to grind to. You get a better understanding of why the entire enemy team can hit you when you thought you were in cover. And it teaches you what routes to be careful when taking. Plus active scouting is a lot more fun than camping in the back

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Awww I played this stuff on NES :happytrollboy:

Don't believe WG.nets numbers. The upgraded turret is better than stock for frontal armor.
Interesting, I've seen some youtubers state otherwise and use the stock one

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
On paper the upgraded is worse. In practice it has similar front armor, a smaller profile, mounts a better gun, has better view range and hp. And (I think) it also increases the RoF of your gun slightly the way the upgraded T 29 turret does

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And in practice no-one shoots you in the turret. I never found it viable to trade shots with when playing Jumbo, it was better to carefully angle yourself in a safe place and go down in a blaze of glory. 5 v.s. 1 with some tier 8's in the mix, everyone shoots at your hull front and bounces. Of course then someone with a big gun shows up and you die (or they accidentally hit a weak spot often enough to kill you).

Now, if you are a good player, E8 is obviously the superior choice in every possible way. But in general I just don't have the patience for the constant nerve-wrecking position-reposition-reposition -game that it requires.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Pretty much what Haba said. The jumbo usually ends up holding a flank solo or with a single mate while the lemming train all dogpiles on the other flank. It's quite good at the heroic defense against overwhelming odds. Also, in a tier 8 fight you get raped since they can pen your front plate. In an ideal situation (lover glacis covered, placed on a slight slope to increase your frontal armor slope), the upgraded turret will make such a tiny target it's practically impossible to hit. The mantlet will offer ~200mm of armor, the visible turret beside the mantlet will be sloped ~75 degrees sideways and the cmdr hatch will be hidden entirely behind the mantlet 'cause slope.

The only time the stock turret offers an advantage is if you've turned the turret and find yourself taking shots to the side/rear of it. But if that's happening, odds are you might be taking shots to the side of your hull as well. Which is softer than the upgraded turret anyway.

I disagree that the E8 is a superior choice in every possible way. The E8 is very much shoot&scoot on many maps. It doesn't have the armor to survive return fire. However, the gun on the E2 and E8 has a very respectable rate of fire. (And the aim suffers horribly if you move the hull). The Jumbo can often get away with standing its ground and trading shots, so it will push a higher DPM than the E8 unelss the E8 is allowed to hide behind bushes. On a city map, that simply won't happen. The far-from-stellar gun accuracy also makes it a mid/close range tank. So even if the E8 gets to hang back and snipe, you will probably end up missing several shots.

I've elited both the M4A3E2 and M4A3E8. But only the Jumbo found itself a permanent spot in my garage, along with a "CAPTAIN AMERICA" decal to go with its unbreakable frontal shield.
:M

Shadenuat

Arcane
The guns at level 6 Shermans don't look that impressive though as at level 5, compared to what I am used to playing Germans, like 8.8 with premium rounds, L70 & Waffe.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Light tanks shoudl have some active camo ability, that would let you dissapear infront of enemy face and would let you active spot much better, wot is not realistic anyway.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Magic Lamp and full Camo is almost mandatory for LTs and TDs, well regular TDs not like Ferdinand.

Interesting that some tanks have smoke launchers on their models I think, at least I believe they existed irl.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
They had smoke launchers, they had smoke ammo as well.

Look at Tiger, for example:

It's quite absurd how advanced Tiger is in many ways. It even came with a snorkel, lol. And dese rubber seals on hatches.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The guns at level 6 Shermans don't look that impressive though as at level 5, compared to what I am used to playing Germans, like 8.8 with premium rounds, L70 & Waffe.

The guns are 'k but not amazing. That's the price you pay for vastly superior (frontal) armor.

Light tanks shoudl have some active camo ability, that would let you dissapear infront of enemy face and would let you active spot much better, wot is not realistic anyway.

Light tanks already have better camo rating than other tanks and it is not lowered by moving about. Use the terrain to your advantage and you shouldn't need smoke launchers. If smoke launchers were added, WoT would be one big smokefest anyway. Many mediums and heavies have them installed too, and the ability to camo until you're up close would make russkies with derp guns even stronker than they already are. Imagine if KV2s could drive up to you without you being able to spot them at range.

Magic Lamp and full Camo is almost mandatory for LTs and TDs

I don't have magic lamp OR camo on Luchs or Chaffee (went with +spot range skills and +accuracy on the move skills) and I got Mark of Excellence on both. I'm not arguing that the skills aren't ridiculously good - I'm eagerly awaiting 6th sense on my Bullydog - but they aren't mandatory.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I have almost 2 full perks on Luchs and 700 battles on it and I can't think living without them now. Sure I got a lot of medals without them just because tank is good, but when you meet level 7 tanks it's very important to have perks - at least camo since even high level HT have better vision than u, and then there are invisible TDs and open topped TDs with vision like 400. Very hard to spot without being blown to pieces before you do.
Same with tanks like Stug, fun to see other TDs near you spotted and blown to pieces while you just load shell after shell behind your bush.

(went with +spot range skills and +accuracy on the move skills)
U r crazy, Sixth Sense should be first skill for any tank, even Maus :M To know when artillery has time to send you a present for example.

It's quite absurd how advanced Tiger is in many ways. It even came with a snorkel, lol. And dese rubber seals on hatches.
Most of the advanced stuff probably broke fast on the way or during first few encounters.
Still awesome tank. I just need a bit more free xp and I will get both Tigers out of stock.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
U r crazy, Sixth Sense should be first skill for any tank, even Maus :M To know when artillery has time to send you a present for example.

Nigga, all my scout krews are working on their first skills. Once cmdr reaches 100%, I'll retrain him to Eye of Sauron.

Most of the advanced stuff probably broke fast on the way or during first few encounters.
Still awesome tank. I just need a bit more free xp and I will get both Tigers out of stock.

Tiger is an amazing tank for its time IRL. Most things shit on it in WoT because WG.net has it up against tanks that it never went up against or which never existed at all.

Shadenuat

Arcane
:kfc:

By the way things are going with NES tanks, I will have 2.5 perks crew for T29 in a jiffy.

Tiger is an amazing tank for its time IRL. Most things shit on it in WoT because WG.net has it up against tanks that it never went up against or which never existed at all.
At least it has highest DPM now, and well, the whole heavy german tree starting from DW2 is all about realising DPM.

The only Sherman worth talking about is the Firefly
:troll:

Tiger, historically, fought against mostly what are tier 4-6 in WoT. It shits on them in game too.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
How would you know Undead Phoenix? Last I checked you were still grinding through the grant. :smug:

I have a fully researched Firefly and it's pretty underwhelming. It's like a slightly worse easy-8 (gun is a bit better, but armor and mobility is down). Just like the brit tier 5 Sherman is a slightly worse M4.

The line is a total dud until you can switch into TDs. And even then I'm guessing the Challenger will be a disappointment at first. You won't have the top tier gun unless you went achilles (which renders the medium tank line moot). And even if you do, you're a tier 7 TD running the same gun as a Tier 5. Things don't really look up for the Nu-brits until the Charioteer at tier 8, whose gun is comparable to - but worse than - the gun that JagdPanther II/Ferdinand gets at the same tier. (Bit more pen and RoF, lower alpha, lower DPM).

Come to think of it, the tier 9 (Conway) also has a worse gun than the JagdTigers top gun. The brit TD line doesn't come into its own until Death Star II at tier 10 :P

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Can't decide what i want to play, spend all muniez buying different tanks and selling them for half the price, ended up with zero cash. :negative:

Shadenuat

Arcane
Play ze all powerfula AMX40 und cruassan un giving up our capitole

Much power, stronk armor

...I kid, don't do it.
Ever.

From German tree I can reсommend these friendly tanks:
Pz II. arguably one of the best machine gun tanks on the level.
Pz. I C. basically a lawn machine for anything not heavy armored.
Luchs. same as PzIC but now doesn't care if it is armored or not.
Hetzer. ROOFFLLLEEEES
Pz IV D (requires skill but arguably one of the best weapons on level IV).
Stug 3 G. Requires patience and crew but very good farmer.
Pz. IV H (like Hetzer but turret!).
VK 36.01 H. Hard armor and good weapon choices. Just don't go through DW2 branch. Don't. Do it. You don't want to. You don't.
VK 30.01 D. On par with Cromwell in my opinion and my main tank for training crews, farming and learning the game.
(IMHO) Tiger (P). The only german heavy that feels like heavy.

From Kwa:
T18 (rooffles)
M2 Medium (like T18 but turret!).
T67 > Hellcat.
(I've yet to try anything else, tbh never tried Hellcat since it's banal but oh my god they are good at random and I know why)

French: DONT TOUCH FRENCH
but if you dare, go for ELC AMX. It's total roolflz once you get the cannon. :dance:

Soviets:
I don't play Soviets since I know everything about our tanks, naturally, and more interested in parts of history I don't actually know. Can try and get to KV-2 for maximum roofles ever.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I recommend the following tanx:

Ubermensch:
Pz II G - Decent mobility, great gun
Pz 1 C - hilarious to drive. You creat a shitlkoad of chaos. A pz1c platoon is excellent for sealclubbing
Luchs - Best tier 4 tank by a large margin. If you're lucky enough to get in a tier 4 battle, it's basically like driving a BatChat25t.
Stug III G - Used to be THE BEST tier 5 TD. Still pretty gud. Decent gun, highly accurate. Low profile, good camo and pretty mobile. Camo crew and camo net is a must. Paper thin armor, so don't rush into more than you cna handle.
VK 36.01 H - One of the best tier 6 heavies. The Waffe gun is nowhere near as good as the old Könisch was, but the 88mm is solid. Protect lower glacis and angle armor. Good tank to learn sidescraping in.
E-25 - AKA the Ninja Turtle. some of the best camo in the game, speed like a scout tank. Get them before they're removed from the store forever.

Kwa:
T18 - Devent front armor and derp gun makes it an excellent tier 2 sealclubber
M4 sherman - T18 with a turret. Shame you have to suffer through the M3 Lee to get to it.
M4A3E2 Sherman Jumbo - Captain America Mk. I. Manly tank that absorbs all damage with its face
T29 - Captain America Mk. II. Now with a gun that really hurts
Chaffee - probably the best scout in the game. Very mobile, small enough to hide in a shoebox, gun is good enough to pen most things it meets from the sides
T41 Walker Bulldog - All Bite, no Bark

Tea Fetish:
Matilda - Slowish but invulnerable in a tier 4 battle. Gun has amazing DPM. Just hold down the shoot button and watch people melt while their shots bounce on you.
Cromwell - Gun is a bit meh. But once you get the big engine it is one of the most enjoyable all-round mediums to play.
FV302 - AKA: Bert the Destroyer. Arty with unique playstyle. Short range, high RoF, trolltastic projectile arc. Shoots over most obstacles and you're actually moving between shots as opposed to camping in a corner all game
HMS TOG II* - Battleship in WoT. Rule Brittania! Brittania rules the waves!

Croissant:
ELC AMX - It's basically like playing Mario Kart.

Hellcat was way better before it got rekt in 9.3. It's painful how bad it is now compared to back then.
Same goes for Pz IV. RIP Schmallturm on non-gold tank.
Real men don't play rus. That said, most rus are ridiculously OP thanks to impenetrable sovietanium and communist developers on the balance team. Get KV2, win everything.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Oh right Brittania

193349-lord_british.jpg

No wait

I would add Black Prince. I heard it's fairly decently armored for a Heavy. But I guess it might not be worth it to go through all the Churchills...

Also French and British have some interesting TDs too, the Tortoise-branch and the wonderful french bathtub with 300 alpha on level 5.

Pz II G - Decent mobility, great gun
Eh it's Luchs that is still "not there". I remember it suffering from many small issues like the size of the cassete and some others.

Camo crew and camo net is a must.
I use ventilation, faster loading and +25% sight range with camo crew. Seems enough, net is not very useful since you spin around picking targets all the time. But vision bonus is very important since Stug is kinda blind.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It is also a luchs that doesn't meet tier 7's or 6's. Most tier 2's will get rekt by a single casette. Many tier 3's will too. Even some of the tier 4's you meet will be running away after a single BRRRRT blast. It's arguably not as good as the Pz1C, which only really shines once you elite it and cram it full of expensive gear. But if you are planning to go Luchs, the PzIIG is enjoyable in its own right and will start your first "Bad Matchmaking" scout tank off with its best gun.

Alternatives for tier 3 would be the Cruiser IV with its amazing Pomf-Pomf and BROFORCE guns and the terrifying Marder II.

For the love of Jove, don't go down the Tortiose line. Ask Undead Phoenix about his feelings for the AT8 and Churchill GC.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom