Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So who's played Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I know some of you fuckers have played it by now.

I'd like to hear impressions of the game, differences between it and the original, how it's dumbed down, etc...

I guess it doesn't really matter for me, since it's the only version of that game I'll ever play (no XBox) but I'd still like to hear.

i happen to be in the opposite position. xbox, no ps3. however, from what ive read over on the iberians ng realm forums, they removed a lot of the lame projectile spam; instead more enemies can insta kill you with throws and grabs. i can only think less projectile spam is a good thing, since it was incredibly annoying in my very hard run that i gave up in disgust after getting an incendiary shuriken in the back from offscreen while fighting a boss for the umpteenth time (i just finished my very hard run of ngb though :D). however, ive heard that this makes the game feel cheaper. overall the consensus seems to be it was toned down. apparently theres less blood too.

a quote from over yonder on whether its worth purchasing:

Yes, but I had realistic expectations. I never once believed it would be the ultimate NG. I believed it would be the worst iteration of the series, and I was right (IMO). It is still fun to play and I don't regret buying it. It does really have my concerned about NG3. Many of Hayashi's changes were for the worse, and he watered down the game. I am afraid he will try to make NG3 more mainstream (and easier), tarnishing NG's reputation for being difficult.

i just realized, do you mean between NG1 and NG2 / sigma or or NG2 and NG2 Sigma?

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
I like it more than the first Sigma. Acolyte is pretty much a god mode, but things pick up on Warrior. There doesn't seem to be any of that "Good luck fighting an entire house full of red ninjas before you get counters, Lunar or Vigoorian Flail" faggotry that really spoiled my impression of the Very Hard and Master Ninja modes in the first game. Bosses are ridiculously fun: each of them can be destroyed in less than a minute, if you're good at timing your Reverse Winds. Of course, if you aren't, the bosses will be the ones doing the destroying.

The only downside I can think of is that Rachel manages to suck even more than before, due to to the game's faster pace. Momiji and Ayane are p. cool, though. Not as fun as Ryu, but their levels are enjoyable.

A special mention goes to the Eclypse Scythe and its sound effects. The "whoosh" sound it makes is fucking addictive.

Disclaimer: all of this is coming from a person who haven't played Xbox versions of either NG.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Emotional Vampire said:
Dicksmoker said:
I know some of you fuckers have played it by now.

I guess that answers your question - "fuckers" would certainly be the group playing Ninja Gaiden

Way too hardcore for you my friend.

@OP - All the versions - NG1 / Black / Sigma + NG2 / Sigma 2 are worthwhile. I have all of them on all systems (XB1, 360 & PS3). As you can probably tell I'm a fanboi :D

Both sigma versions are slightly toned down difficulty wise from the original 360 versions, but with games as difficult to master as the NG series, that's really not saying much.

Slobbergoat

Novice
Probably going to buy it for the only one of my friends who bothered getting a PS3. I managed to drive him into fits of rage and lies by giving him the first Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Which was so dumbed down that I woodsworded 90% of the game without dying, lul) so it'll be interesting to see the response to the second one.

Impressions by people who aren't whiny faggots about Ninja Gaiden 2 (in other words, people who played Ninja Gaiden Black rather than playing NG2 first with only having played halo and madden beforehand) have been generally negative which is about the same way I thought about Sigma, so I guess I'll wait and see.

What I'm really not looking forward to is Ninja Gaiden 3 with a non-itagaki-directed development team. Mrghpghpgh.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
HEY BROS HOW ABOUT YOU GO TO A CONSOLEFAG SITE AND LEAVE REAL GAMING TO THE 3LITE RPG BROS?!?!?!?! TAKE YOUR XBAWKS BACK TO FAGOOTLAND

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
NG is pretty much the epitome of hardcore. You would know that, Blobert, if you had played any of the games or read impressions here. (Yes, I know you're just trolling, but it could use some work if you want to be truly successful as a Codex parody.)

All the same, I'm not sure where some people got the idea that the Codex only plays rpgs and considers every other genre unworthy. We do appreciate them the most when done well, but that's just because true rpgs are the highest evolution of video games. What we really are are video game connoisseurs.

ah, well my earlier post covers ng2 and ng2s. apparently theres also way less enemies in the ps3 version. Observe:

Chapter 11 (360): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4lCeudbxic
Chapter 11 (ps3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdinRcO5Kg

its like a ghost town in the ps3 version.

hummelgumpf said:
There doesn't seem to be any of that "Good luck fighting an entire house full of red ninjas before you get counters, Lunar or Vigoorian Flail" faggotry that really spoiled my impression of the Very Hard and Master Ninja modes in the first game.

man up and l2nunchuck son! *slap* *slap* *slap* why do you think its called very hard? :P i know though, the first level is definitely one of the hardest though to get going on.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I heard that that first level is actually one of the few areas where Sigma is harder than the originals (in all difficulties) because of that. And you know, I kind of like the idea of them forcing you to deal with the basics at the beginning. I know when I started my Hard playthrough it certainly made me start doing some things basically for the first time (like blocking and UTs).

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Occasionally Fatal said:
man up and l2nunchuck son! *slap* *slap* *slap* why do you think its called very hard? :P i know though, the first level is definitely one of the hardest though to get going on.
Except you don't start with nunchaku in Sigma. I ended up spamming wall attacks and on-land charges.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Occasionally Fatal said:
ah, well my earlier post covers ng2 and ng2s. apparently theres also way less enemies in the ps3 version. Observe:

Chapter 11 (360): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4lCeudbxic
Chapter 11 (ps3): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdinRcO5Kg

its like a ghost town in the ps3 version.
Hmm. You know, I'm kinda surprised at the footage from the original game. As far as amount of enemies is concerned, it's not too different from the first game. Judging from comments I've read here and elsewhere I thought there'd be a lot more. And is that level indicative of the whole game? If it is than I would say that saying the game had massive enemy clusterfucks would be misleading. Unless maybe that's referring to Master Ninja? Oh well...

As far as the second video...yeah, there's a lot less enemies. On the other hand, they are different enemies, and there's more variety. As for whether they are harder or not, it's hard to tell, but some, like those...giant crab-demon things...certainly seem to be. And this player had a harder time, but it was also obvious that he wasn't as good as the first player. So it's kind of hard to judge. But taking everything into account, yes, I would say that the Sigma version is easier based on those videos.

Hümmelgümpf said:
Except you don't start with nunchaku in Sigma. I ended up spamming wall attacks and on-land charges.

haha that sucks. my condolences. another reason black > all. :wink:

anyway, it sounds like at the end of the day sigma 2 is still a ng game, so its worth getting if you cant get the 360 version. you gonna go for any of the harder difficulties?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So is there a new game+ mode this time around? I sold my NGS1 when I realized that I had collected all the golden scarabs for practically nothing due to True Dragon Sword being far better to anything the scarabs gave.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Sorta. You have to finish each difficulty properly, but then you can replay any level you want with all weapons in your inventory (on the difficulties you've finished, obviously).

Seymour

Liturgist
Having only played the 360 version I can't say how it compares to Sigma 2, but a bit of a warning here: NG2 pales horribly in comparison to NG:B. Just about everything is worse this time around, from level design (remember how the original tied new areas to the ones you visited earlier? Yeah, forget about that) to art direction (the grim-n-gritty schtick just doesn't do it for me), the game's core gameplay (combat is a lot more like most brawlers - instead of fighting a few very tough enemies like in the original you have to dispatch hordes of weenies at a time while dodging projectile attacks constantly spammed from off-screen) and even the story, which was campy but at least coherent in the last installment, now barely ties one level to the other.

It's still an ok hack-n-slash and worth a try, but I would't pay full price on this thing again.

hümmelgumpf said:

The first few chapter are the hardest in later difficulties, having to fight harder enemies early with few weapons and laughable health bar is a bitch. Using the Lunar helps though, hits more enemies at once and has better invincibility frames.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO I KNOW CODEX LIKES OTHER TYPES OF GAMES JUST NOT XBAWKS CONSOLETARD SHIT YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom